Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

That’s so stinking cool. This thread is budget poison.

It is, and I think adding a MIDI controller to the KO would be a great addition, might have to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

petit choux posted:

ED: and I'm still using the Yamaha mute. I'd have to say it's working pretty good. I don't think anybody can hear me and I'm running the synth into the stereo and it's louder than the trumpet. Just cycling through all the presets, it's gonna take me a minute to assimilate all this.

I run mine through the same mute into a Koma FX and it sounds pretty good but now I want to get that mouthpiece mic to see what it would sound like blended.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I run mine through the same mute into a Koma FX and it sounds pretty good but now I want to get that mouthpiece mic to see what it would sound like blended.

Yeah, Imma be trying all permutations out. RN it's enough to have the thing hooked up and use the mute and all the presets on the SY-300. Maybe I can give a trip report later.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

petit choux posted:

Yeah, Imma be trying all permutations out. RN it's enough to have the thing hooked up and use the mute and all the presets on the SY-300. Maybe I can give a trip report later.

Looking forward to it. One thing I've found messing with woodwinds and brass and processing them is that eventually you get to the point where you're like "ok, I've messed with this so much it sounds like a guitar playing one-note lead" so it's difficult to find a balance. I still don't think I've found it but it's been fun trying.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

I’ve gotten a somewhat good grip on the OP-1 synths, drums and sequencers but I’m gonna need some help getting my footing with recording and editing tracks. Anyone have a series or YouTuber they recommend?

You can watch the early Red Means Recording stuff. It's mostly watching him use the device, though I think he has a few videos where he goes through his workflow.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Looking forward to it. One thing I've found messing with woodwinds and brass and processing them is that eventually you get to the point where you're like "ok, I've messed with this so much it sounds like a guitar playing one-note lead" so it's difficult to find a balance. I still don't think I've found it but it's been fun trying.

Just ask yourself what would Miles do.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I also want a midi breath instrument. I bought a recorder for a certain themed project but uhhh it’s really loud and bad and I have neighbors lol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

Just ask yourself what would Miles do.

heroin

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

petit choux posted:

OMG this is Sun Ra in a can

This is what I heard about Miles using during his Dark Magus or Pangea tour. I don't think they really had the technology all that together yet.

Okay, RN I'm just using the Yamaha pickup in the mute, have not gotten out the piezo yet. It is pretty good too. This is so loving awesome. Of course the mute fucks up your intonation, etc but not as bad as a DIY I tried making last week. And I'm playing in a small apartment RN too.

Here's a link to the guy what sole me the piezo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323881190790

Yeah, I think I found my new instrument. I'm just didgeree-doot-doot-doot

ED: and I'm still using the Yamaha mute. I'd have to say it's working pretty good. I don't think anybody can hear me and I'm running the synth into the stereo and it's louder than the trumpet. Just cycling through all the presets, it's gonna take me a minute to assimilate all this.
I'm getting Ben Neill (circa Green Machine) flashbacks first & foremost from all this news, which is loving awesome; I loved that album, and the whole Mutantrumpet idea.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

OMG this is Sun Ra in a can

This is what I heard about Miles using during his Dark Magus or Pangea tour. I don't think they really had the technology all that together yet.

Okay, RN I'm just using the Yamaha pickup in the mute, have not gotten out the piezo yet. It is pretty good too. This is so loving awesome. Of course the mute fucks up your intonation, etc but not as bad as a DIY I tried making last week. And I'm playing in a small apartment RN too.

Here's a link to the guy what sole me the piezo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323881190790

Yeah, I think I found my new instrument. I'm just didgeree-doot-doot-doot

Hell yeah, gonna look into this

Trumpet into Zoia into Digitakt is what I'm possibly thinking...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I have been bitten by DIY modular bug.

DIY case, DIY modules!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

I have been bitten by DIY modular bug.

DIY case, DIY modules!

:hellyeah:

What’s the case and how did you make it?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I bought the rack rails+inserts off of Modular Synth Lab, and then I found a guide on using aluminum to build a case.

I was going to build it out of wood, but I don't have a router or a table saw. I was going to make due with a circular saw and buy a router.

After finding the aluminum guide, I realized I could build that with a drill and a hacksaw!

Link to Guide I Followed

The key thing is that you can order the metal already cut, and I only had to correct the angle irons a little with a hacksaw. It took time, but no complex tools.

Then I painted it with Duplicolor Self Etching Primer -> Gloss Enamel Black for the sides, and Duplicolor Toreador Red for the body.

I finished it with like four coats of Duplicolor Wheel Matte varnish.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

minidracula posted:

I'm getting Ben Neill (circa Green Machine) flashbacks first & foremost from all this news, which is loving awesome; I loved that album, and the whole Mutantrumpet idea.

Not familiar with ben neill, maybe I'll look him up. But I just decided, I worked so hard at memorizing all the fingerings and so forth as a teenager I can never get any of that out of my head. It's a little peculiarity of mine, I'm always working out the trumpet fingerings any time I hear a scrap of music. I felt I might as well use these errant processes and put the trumpet to some purpose. So long as it isn't trumpet playing. I'm not a big fan of the trumpet, I wish I'd chosen a mellower instrument when I was a boy. So this is an extra life for me, apparently I've shot down enough little rows of aliens.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dexefiend posted:

I bought the rack rails+inserts off of Modular Synth Lab, and then I found a guide on using aluminum to build a case.

I was going to build it out of wood, but I don't have a router or a table saw. I was going to make due with a circular saw and buy a router.

After finding the aluminum guide, I realized I could build that with a drill and a hacksaw!

Link to Guide I Followed

The key thing is that you can order the metal already cut, and I only had to correct the angle irons a little with a hacksaw. It took time, but no complex tools.

Then I painted it with Duplicolor Self Etching Primer -> Gloss Enamel Black for the sides, and Duplicolor Toreador Red for the body.

I finished it with like four coats of Duplicolor Wheel Matte varnish.

It is really awesome you did all this yourself, too. It really looks good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

This is me on Saturdays RN:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

petit choux posted:

It is really awesome you did all this yourself, too. It really looks good.

Thanks! I am really excited about this whole project.

I went for 126hp to leave plenty of room after including the full Hexmix setup. This leaves me 182hp after that.

My excitement level is probably too high. I am trying to hold myself to only possessing at most two unassembled modules at a time.

I have five on order...

As I learn more this will probably change, but I am trying to do this in a intentional way. Thank goodness for ModularGrid.

I would have preferred to start Muxlicer + EvenVCO + Rampage + Hexmix VCA, but I am having trouble finding the kits.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

drat look at all those sweet Casios. Did you die and go to paradise?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rutibex posted:

drat look at all those sweet Casios. Did you die and go to paradise?

There appears to be very little demand. I just pick them up wherever I find them and lowball online auctions where there are no bidders. Nobody wants the Casios. It's a drat shame. People think of Casio keyboards pretty much like they think of Casio watches.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Oh hold on. There's a dude on the forums who goes nuts for sweet old keyboards like those. Give petit choux a pm. Should be able to unload those right quick.

Ed. Vvvv I could see myself easily being in the same situation, in a few years' time.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 8, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Oh hold on. There's a dude on the forums who goes nuts for sweet old keyboards like those. Give petit choux a pm. Should be able to unload those right quick.

Hardee loving har

I'm pretty maxed out on cheap keyboards I can't move right now. But it has been a way to learn about keyboards. I've learned since this that Casio does make topnotch keyboards as well as children's keyboards with waaaaaay too much of a learning curve. Like I just picked up a Casio WK-500, my first keyboard with an SD slot. If only they had made keyboards like the WK series with fewer keys. The WK-1630 is probably the best keyboard I've found so far, but it's too big for this apartment.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

Hardee loving har

I'm pretty maxed out on cheap keyboards I can't move right now. But it has been a way to learn about keyboards. I've learned since this that Casio does make topnotch keyboards as well as children's keyboards with waaaaaay too much of a learning curve. Like I just picked up a Casio WK-500, my first keyboard with an SD slot. If only they had made keyboards like the WK series with fewer keys. The WK-1630 is probably the best keyboard I've found so far, but it's too big for this apartment.

Maybe you should circuit bend them and sell them as unique one-off noise makers to a synth forum. Value-add!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Maybe you should circuit bend them and sell them as unique one-off noise makers to a synth forum. Value-add!

Do this well enough and suddenly you have a BRAND and people will be begging you to make them one. At that point you sell them for $10k and live the easy life.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rutibex posted:

Definitely considered that, and have done it once. But you ever notice how all the synth people are all DIYers, all really dig making their own gear? That's not my market. They all want to do it themselves.

But I figure if you get to know any one of these keyboards well enough you should be able to squeeze out some of its secrets that only that keyboard knows. I just haven't taken that time. I'm particularly fond of some of the old Yamahas in that respect, I figure these have a lot of potential. They were trying a simple feature of summing two synth voices and letting the user select the voices, so if you have a keyboard with 100 voices, you sort of have thousands with this keyboard. And it sounds really good, strongly reminds me of the synth music from old sci fi shows like Dr. Who.

Can't get $40 for it at the flea. I originally was thinking I'd circuit bend it, so I'm not too upset about it.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 8, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And all this harkens back to a day 25 years ago I assembled my first LM 386 op amp kit and tried running the drums from a cheap thrift store casio through it, boy that was a good feeling.

... and another gratuitous pic of the Yamaha. I've said it before but I feel like you should have to wear a Star Trek uniform to even play this. And the sounds you will make will be perfectly appropriate, too.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 8, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rutibex posted:

And you laff but I kinda did consider doing that via ebay or etsy. I still would if I could add real substantial value but most circuit bending isn't all that great without some augmentation.

I guess if I could make an old keyboard into a complete groovebox, I might try it. I mean, I can get a Behringer 606 knockoff for $100, you can knock some poo poo together. But that is more or less what I'm already doing. And equally profitable, I should add.

Hell, if I could figure out a killer app with a cheap Casio keyboard, I def would sell it at the forums, but I'd try to at least have the manners to keep it to SA-Mart mostly. And that said, if you want any of those keyboards in the photo above, PM me.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 8, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

And you laff but I kinda did consider doing that via ebay or etsy. I still would if I could add real substantial value but most circuit bending isn't all that great without some augmentation.

I guess if I could make an old keyboard into a complete groovebox, I might try it. I mean, I can get a Behringer 606 knockoff for $100, you can knock some poo poo together. But that is more or less what I'm already doing. And equally profitable, I should add.

I only mentioned it because this is my personal plan :v: I posted about some old Casios I picked up a while back, and I have been putting together an electrical kits to try and circuit bend them. I hit a snag when the cheap voice changers I picked up turned out to be entirely defective. I'll have to find some other source of cheap effects :(

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rutibex posted:

I only mentioned it because this is my personal plan :v: I posted about some old Casios I picked up a while back, and I have been putting together an electrical kits to try and circuit bend them. I hit a snag when the cheap voice changers I picked up turned out to be entirely defective. I'll have to find some other source of cheap effects :(

Wow, cool! Well I'm the guy to see if you need a cheap Casio then!

One problem I have with circuit bending is how a lot of the newest toy-grade electronic instruments are really crappy and it's all one giant IC under a blob of rubber. And they all use low quality samples, no synthesis. Probably like 8 bit samples. And the only one I've found so far that actually uses removeable media is the Joel Osteen wisdom cube. Now that looks ripe for some kind of contrarian electronic bullshit attack and the price is an all time low. They just are going to slowly accrue value as numbskulls like me buy them up and fry them. I mean, they are all classy looking as gently caress, look just like they came out of a 98 Sharper Image catalog, and they say Joel right there.

I'm really baked RN but I'm becoming really fixated on how nice some of these new cheap keyboards look. Imma put up a couple pics in a bit.

I haven't actually started trying to circuit bend yet, but I've purchased a couple tools possibly. I got a really old resister substitution box on ebay, probably gonna try getting one for caps too.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That probably applies to all recent digital synths. microcontrollers have gotten pretty quick and cheap

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

brand engager posted:

That probably applies to all recent digital synths. microcontrollers have gotten pretty quick and cheap

Yeah, just messing w this SY-300 some more, this is all DSP, right? This thing is like a block of silicon.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

Do this well enough and suddenly you have a BRAND and people will be begging you to make them one. At that point you sell them for $10k and live the easy life.

It's a way of life for some people, I'm sure. Black Lion is the first example that comes to mind. Or the guy doing the MIDI adaptor for the POs. I think I can def augment my income by assembling some stuff from Doepfer and Digikey and I'm not even that good. But the creative atmosphere is flourishing, here at the end of all things.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Playing a blue thrift store trumpet through a Boss SY-300 rules. I can verify that now.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

titty_baby_ posted:

Just get a beebo or zoia and you'll have a great reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, drum.machine, and synth, all in one pedal

Incidentally, Empress just opened orders for the Euroburo last Thursday. It's pretty much a Eurorack Zoia with an optional desktop enclosure. I've been waiting on this for a good year or so and ALMOST broke and bought a regular Zoia. They pretty much announced it just as I was starting to be tempted again.

Looks like it ships on the 17th, I'm pretty stoked. Not just because it'll be a nice addition to my euro rig, but because it's so dang portable on its own. I'm gonna take it off into the woods and make a bunch of generative patches in my hammock

$650 for the unit, another hundo for the optional enclosure.

https://empresseffects.com/products/zoia-euroburo

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Of the latest cheap keyboards I've taken in lately, here's a couple I like. this is what the above keyboard evolved into:

Of course Technics would make a better looking keyboard.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Now this is a gadget worthy of circuit bending:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Of course, now that I've posted it everybody will want it for gaming or something.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

nominal posted:

Incidentally, Empress just opened orders for the Euroburo last Thursday. It's pretty much a Eurorack Zoia with an optional desktop enclosure. I've been waiting on this for a good year or so and ALMOST broke and bought a regular Zoia. They pretty much announced it just as I was starting to be tempted again.

Looks like it ships on the 17th, I'm pretty stoked. Not just because it'll be a nice addition to my euro rig, but because it's so dang portable on its own. I'm gonna take it off into the woods and make a bunch of generative patches in my hammock

$650 for the unit, another hundo for the optional enclosure.

https://empresseffects.com/products/zoia-euroburo
I'm really trying to avoid GAS but this thing is so compact and flexible that I think I'm gonna save up for a bit and sell my cirrus to replace with this. Then I can have a crazy multi fx pedal for djing and synth work and an additional synth to pair with my blofeld

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I could watch videos of this guy bending goodwill toys all day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJfTdD_5XyE

Mixing electronic nerd stuff with music nerd stuff is fascinating.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Did you know that it is possible to haggle with Amazon? The other day I was looking through warehouse deals and I left a piece of lab equipment in my digital "shopping cart" for a couple days. When I checked back this piece of lab ware (which had stayed at the same price for months) suddenly had $15 knocked off the price. I thought "heck may as well check out now before someone else grabs this" and bought it.

Well a few days ago I was checking out the synth section of amazon warehouse deals and I saw a Pocket Operator PO-20 (used) and decided to test out my theory. I placed the PO-20 in my shopping cart but didn't check out. Right on schedule the next day the price for the PO-20 decreased by an additional $10. Either amazon has some AI that has figured out my buying patterns or there is a warehouse manager giving out discounts to people on the fence buying used things! In either case I now have a PO-20 to make video game noises (it didn't come with a box and there was already a song on it when I powered it up :v:)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Did you know that it is possible to haggle with Amazon? The other day I was looking through warehouse deals and I left a piece of lab equipment in my digital "shopping cart" for a couple days. When I checked back this piece of lab ware (which had stayed at the same price for months) suddenly had $15 knocked off the price. I thought "heck may as well check out now before someone else grabs this" and bought it.

Well a few days ago I was checking out the synth section of amazon warehouse deals and I saw a Pocket Operator PO-20 (used) and decided to test out my theory. I placed the PO-20 in my shopping cart but didn't check out. Right on schedule the next day the price for the PO-20 decreased by an additional $10. Either amazon has some AI that has figured out my buying patterns or there is a warehouse manager giving out discounts to people on the fence buying used things! In either case I now have a PO-20 to make video game noises (it didn't come with a box and there was already a song on it when I powered it up :v:)

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the strategy. Time to bleep some bloops.