Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

covidforever
Sep 8, 2021

by Pragmatica

droll posted:

There were reports of a pre-print of a study, of DNA in Asia showing a COVID-like virus 25000 years ago took much longer than 15 years. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-coronavirus-epidemic-east-asia-dna-covid

Look at this point I have an option of living with with fear constantly, trying to live normally taking all precautions reasonably possible, or trying killing myself again for the third time.

Reading these dead comedy forums tends to have me lean towards the later 90% of the time and I have psych ward visit records to prove it, but I'm not going to go back to living in constant fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

droll posted:

There were reports of a pre-print of a study, of DNA in Asia showing a COVID-like virus 25000 years ago took much longer than 15 years. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-coronavirus-epidemic-east-asia-dna-covid
Vaccines didn't exist 25,000 years ago.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Why did you create an alt account just to post this?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

covidforever posted:

Look at this point I have an option of living with with fear constantly, trying to live normally taking all precautions reasonably possible, or trying killing myself again for the third time.

Reading these dead comedy forums tends to have me lean towards the later 90% of the time and I have psych ward visit records to prove it, but I'm not going to go back to living in constant fear.

:firstpost:

covidforever
Sep 8, 2021

by Pragmatica

Gynovore posted:

Why did you create an alt account just to post this?

Because I am a multicultural implant with parents from two different countries, I hate the United States and wish death to it and all its inhabitants, and I have no friends in real life. Hail Satan.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Welp guess it's time for me and all the other immunocompromised people to just gently caress off forever then, thanks for admitting that it's just too hard to stop the mindless slaughter and that we should all give up to.

covidforever posted:

Maybe you should stop coming back here then, because your posting isn't helping anyone, and it's clearly not helping you.

e: I mean same regarding your last post but seriously whose alt are you?

e2: Fuckin :laffo:

quote:

Permabanned user electronicmaji.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 8, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So for any titer nerds interested, LabCorp offers semi quantitative antibody tests for $42 plus a $10 physician fee if you don't want to have to get your own doctor to request it and want to do it all on your own.

https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

From what I can tell this will return titers that have binding affinity to spike in general as opposed to the more complete test which can target past covid infection specifically, I'm still trying to see if I can request a more complete antibody profile on my own or if I need a doctor's request for that.

Anyways the data might be neat

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

covidforever posted:

That was fast.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Is this a new record for speed-perma-ing?

covidforever2
Sep 8, 2021

by Pragmatica
Admin edit - removed post content.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

covidforever posted:

I am not saying we can't decrease personal risk, or collective risk, or make smart or bad decisions. But how long will you let the constant fear of something like COVID dictate everything in your life. How long would you be willing to never ever travel anywhere again? How long would be willing to not leave your house? Or never ever say go to a concert (if that is something you enjoy) Or go to a bar, or a restaurant?

For us a lot of it is less about fear and more about reexamining priorities. Like, we went back to restaurants a couple times earlier in the summer, and could have gone back more if we wanted to, but... why? We don't need to go to a restaurant to eat good food, or enjoy a meal with friends, or even to buy prepared meals to eat. The only thing that going out to a restaurant really has to offer is having service staff to wait on you, which... actually seems kind of gross??? And restaurants are a large part of the travel experience; you don't have to eat at restaurants on vacation, but takes a lot more planning to work around it when you don't have a full kitchen on hand. The pandemic has shone a harsh light on some of our habits and there was definitely a certain element of consumption for the sake of consumption that we don't miss. Yeah, I miss getting to go other places and see new sights, and pandemic or no pandemic we will eventually find a way to go do that again, but part of that is just figuring out better ways of doing that. In the meantime there are other ways to enjoy life.

covidforever2
Sep 8, 2021

by Pragmatica
You are white.

You are responsible for racism. Slavery. Everything that every minority has ever had to suffer. The collective guilt of this planet is upon your heads. You will suffer for all eternity in hell for everything your race has done to others. gently caress you.

covidforever2
Sep 8, 2021

by Pragmatica
You lock people in mental wards for recognizing the systematic racism you've created. Racism that causes millions of our people to die from diseases like covid. Racisms that spreads antivaxxination movement. It's all because of white people.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
You're giving your $10 to white people, therefor you are a bad person too

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sir, this is a Dairy Queen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

covidforever2 posted:

This forum has hurt more POC and disabled people like myself than any other loving site on the internet. You loving invented cyberfascism. 4chan? Internet racists? That's all on you. Don't think I'm loving stupid and you don't have loving blood on your hands.

I mean, their posts aren't all wrong

covidforever2
Sep 8, 2021

by Pragmatica

droll posted:

You're giving your $10 to white people, therefor you are a bad person too

Admin edit - removed post content.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

They'll show this post as evidence to the bank that the chargeback is invalid.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Please, please, talk to someone.

800-273-8255

Stop reading this forum it's creating a negative fedback loop.

Take care of yourself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

covidforever2 posted:

Can I loving get that in writing so I can show it to the nurses when I go into psych ward next time for trying to kill myself because of this stupid loving forum and all it's loving posters who INVENTED the concept of mocking and hurting innocent mentally ill people LIKE MYSELF.

You just blew 20 bucks to post for like half an hour on a site that you hate and has brought you grief. For all your complaints about not getting to enjoy things because of pandemic fear, I think you would probably be able to enjoy things a lot more if you spent your time and money elsewhere. I'm genuinely sorry you're in a lovely spot but your posting here is not really going to make things any better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MrUnderbridge posted:

Is this a new record for speed-perma-ing?

Nah this is how fast it usually is for perma'd alts, although it does require an admin being awake and aware so actually this is all pretty fast, even the edited post was hit before I could get to it.

Thanks to most others for being supportive of each other in this thread with such difficult subject matter, it's really appreciated as someone who does continue to remain isolated due to my health conditions.

Anyway here's some pet taxes for the page and thank you friendly admin for being around this am.

Also Jaxyon there's no need to well actually for electronicmaji's posts but I do appreciate your concern for their mental well-being.

e: Like a dope I forgot to pay my taxes so here

e2:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 8, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh that was weird.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm permabanned poster covidforever3. I first started posting in this thread 45 minutes ago

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PhazonLink posted:

huh that was weird.

Permabanned morons make alt accounts all the time. They just usually don't get caught this fast.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gynovore posted:

Permabanned morons make alt accounts all the time. They just usually don't get caught this fast.

The regdate and username were the dead giveaway. I'm impressed at the speed at which that all happened because I posted a request for an alt check on that user in the mod discord immediately. Honestly though I think it was probably just an admin reading the thread because I didn't even ping anyone yet.

e: Show yourself, coward!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zarin posted:

This is something I keep coming back to - how long was the Spanish Flu a thing? I mean, obviously, society recovered - I clearly didn't have any sort of true idea about what a pandemic looked like on the ground for the duration. Nobody talked about 'em, no old people hauntedly speaking of it.

Of course, I realize the diseases have different profiles and whatnot, but I'm real curious at a high level what that one looked like, how long it lasted, etc.

But the point is that we made it through it. We'll make it through this one, too. Yeah, it might be a few years, but then a few years after that we'll look back on it and be like "huh, wow, that was wild, eh?"

It's hard now, because we don't know where the end is, it's all unknown, and it's easy to get caught up catastrophizing about how long it'll be. But it WILL end - every other one before now has.

Spanish flu is still a thing, in the sense that it became both some of the major strains of our human seasonal influenza and contributed genes to many of the major pandemic influenzas since the end of it's own pandemic.

Of course, the initial pandemic itself ended on the timeline mediaphage posted, likely because enough people had been sufficient exposed (and re-exposed) to get a broad enough base of protection against the easy mutational and cross-over variations. Afterwords, it was primary endemic with occasional derived pandemics from evolutionary offshoots. Subsequent Spanish-flu-derived pandemics also weren't nearly as severe, though, probably because of a combination of seasonal exposure to H1N1 genes and long-term evolutionary pressure away from extreme virulence.

Unfortunately, when it comes to pandemics "ending", there's no guarantees for the severity of the subsequent endemic state.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 8, 2021

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

e: Show yourself, coward!

:ohdear:

(realtalk, I was filing reports and saw them come in. so i did a check, and then he was back again. so, yay for timing?)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pragmatica posted:

:ohdear:

(realtalk, I was filing reports and saw them come in. so i did a check, and then he was back again. so, yay for timing?)

:hfive: Thanks again for stepping in in record time, DND appreciates your service.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Stickman posted:

Spanish flu is still a thing, in the sense that it became both some of the major strains of our human seasonal influenza and contributed genes to many of the major pandemic influenzas since the end of it's own pandemic.

Of course, the initial pandemic itself ended on the timeline mediaphage posted, likely because enough people had been sufficient exposed (and re-exposed) to get a broad enough base of protection against the easy mutational and cross-over variations. Afterwords, it was primary endemic with occasional derived pandemics from evolutionary offshoots. Subsequent Spanish-flu-derived pandemics also weren't nearly as severe, though, probably because of a combination of seasonal exposure to H1N1 genes and long-term evolutionary pressure away from extreme virulence.

Unfortunately, when it comes to pandemics "ending", there's no guarantees for the severity of the subsequent endemic state.

Interesting, thank you for that!

And thank you to Mediaphage for that as well!

I guess all that gives me a bit to think about.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
You can tell it's an electronicmaji alt if they devolve into posting increasingly violent screeds towards white people within five or six posts

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HonorableTB posted:

You can tell it's an electronicmaji alt if they devolve into posting increasingly violent screeds towards white people within five or six posts

Yeah, the first post was under the radar just enough that my first thought was actually oocc come back to haunt his old thread, but the remaining posts made it pretty clear that wasn't the case lol

To segue from posting about posters, how about an av/cert challenge for the thread to commemorate my better mental health state and coming back to dnd? The OP is rather sparse and I would love to get some input from some of the thread heroes of good info so that we can edit in some more useful info for anyone who might drop in from other subs. I will lobby for everyone who provides something OP worthy to get a cert of some kind, and I personally believe we should be freewheeling with certs to provide more incentives for better posting, but I haven't run it by mods or admins yet so think of it right now like a campaign promise but for real. I'm just a layman trying to keep the thread chill but I know a wealth of knowledge exists here collectively and I want to turn the thread over to the best current info we can get. We're well past the point of the current OP's rosy predictions but not utterly doomed, and I'd like an up to date op to reflect that.

TIA for your input; feel free to give me criticism with thread content like that as well if you'd rather publicly address it than pm me.

e: I know lots of good stuff has been posted in the last few pages, so feel free to link back to posts that are more on the informative side than the warm fuzzies (but I will make sure the op has plenty of pet tax as well). I'll be sure to sticky the thread title when the new OP is ready as well.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I nominate this live feed on YouTube as a great source of cases, deaths, recoveries etc worldwide and all updated in realtime as their health agencies report the data. The stream has been going on in one form or another since the pandemic started last January and there's archived videos that you can browse on their channel to see historical data on any given date and time as long as you can find it in the scrubber

https://youtu.be/NMre6IAAAiU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HonorableTB posted:

I nominate this live feed on YouTube as a great source of cases, deaths, recoveries etc worldwide and all updated in realtime as their health agencies report the data. The stream has been going on in one form or another since the pandemic started last January and there's archived videos that you can browse on their channel to see historical data on any given date and time as long as you can find it in the scrubber

https://youtu.be/NMre6IAAAiU

Excellent thank you, and thank you also for not rick rolling me with the first post. That's a tremendously good at a glance resource.

edit: Thank you Jaxyon, I will dip in when I have more time to work on the OP. Something else I would find really helpful would be someone who could find a current global spread world map image from a trusted source. I will edit in a pet tax so there's at least an image in the OP for now.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 8, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, the first post was under the radar just enough that my first thought was actually oocc come back to haunt his old thread, but the remaining posts made it pretty clear that wasn't the case lol

To segue from posting about posters, how about an av/cert challenge for the thread to commemorate my better mental health state and coming back to dnd? The OP is rather sparse and I would love to get some input from some of the thread heroes of good info so that we can edit in some more useful info for anyone who might drop in from other subs. I will lobby for everyone who provides something OP worthy to get a cert of some kind, and I personally believe we should be freewheeling with certs to provide more incentives for better posting, but I haven't run it by mods or admins yet so think of it right now like a campaign promise but for real. I'm just a layman trying to keep the thread chill but I know a wealth of knowledge exists here collectively and I want to turn the thread over to the best current info we can get. We're well past the point of the current OP's rosy predictions but not utterly doomed, and I'd like an up to date op to reflect that.

TIA for your input; feel free to give me criticism with thread content like that as well if you'd rather publicly address it than pm me.

e: I know lots of good stuff has been posted in the last few pages, so feel free to link back to posts that are more on the informative side than the warm fuzzies (but I will make sure the op has plenty of pet tax as well). I'll be sure to sticky the thread title when the new OP is ready as well.

The C-spam thread has a massive wealth of information about masks and respirators

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

The C-spam thread has a massive wealth of information about masks and respirators

Yeah it's a great collection of pooled resources, I don't recommend starting the day by clicking on the CDC community transmission graph tho

Professor Beetus posted:

edit: Thank you Jaxyon, I will dip in when I have more time to work on the OP. Something else I would find really helpful would be someone who could find a current global spread world map image from a trusted source. I will edit in a pet tax so there's at least an image in the OP for now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ something like this maybe, or more specifically https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#case-timeline?

Here's there methodology and credentials, any issues I've seen with it have been the result of the sources they pull from messing up: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/about/

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it legal to get maxxinated in the US? Please give me legal advice, comedy forum

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah it's a great collection of pooled resources, I don't recommend starting the day by clicking on the CDC community transmission graph tho

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ something like this maybe, or more specifically https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#case-timeline?

Here's there methodology and credentials, any issues I've seen with it have been the result of the sources they pull from messing up: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/about/

Thanks a bunch, quoting this to take a look at when I'm not trapped in member services hold hell.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

rt4 posted:

Is it legal to get maxxinated in the US? Please give me legal advice, comedy forum

Most retail pharmacies will give you a booster if you check the the immunocompromised box on the online form, or in person sign up sheet. Some pharmacists will go against corporate directions and try to gatekeep vaccine that's going to get thrown out at the end of the day by asking how you're immunocompromised.

All of this is legal, and within CDC guidelines.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

rt4 posted:

Pfizer's got full FDA approval so in theory you could walk in anywhere and request it, same as any other approved vaccine. The problem is going to be in a lot of hesitancy on the part of the providers while we've got health authorities yelling about how they emphatically do not support this. Israel is up to like 40% of their population boosted and have seen cases drop swiftly as a result, and I've not heard any horror stories beyond a somewhat common report that booster doses are the worst side-effects of all. Oh and your insurance won't cover it but the gov still will so make sure to forget your card to save $40. Odds are if there's an option to check an immunocompromised box, you're good. If they ask you about it at the time of the dose, well that's up to you.

So you can schedule an appointment and be totally honest and bring your old card, and roll the dice once you get there and hope you've got someone giving the shot that believes it is appropriate to do. Corproate messaging has so far been to not ask any questions and just give'm the juice but pharmacists can and will refuse to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
For the folks suggesting the CSPAM covid thread, is the OP up to date for anyone who wants to check it out, or are people more expected to drop by and ask for advice?