Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friends were going to Edmonton this weekend to visit family they haven't seen in a couple years, they ended up canceling due to the explosion of covid cases. Now their albertan family is shaming and bullying them and calling them cowards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sounds like your friends dodged a bullet.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Baronjutter posted:

My friends were going to Edmonton this weekend to visit family they haven't seen in a couple years, they ended up canceling due to the explosion of covid cases. Now their albertan family is shaming and bullying them and calling them cowards...

Cool. Hope they're okay with not being visited ever loving again.

I had to avoid my aunt and uncle recently; they were visiting my dying grandmother and my infant son had a fever at the time (not COVID-19, thankfully). While we admitted the awkwardness, we all understood and respected each other's bubbles. People (especially family) who try to create drama can gently caress right off.

Edit: loving Alberta.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 8, 2021

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

Now their albertan family is shaming and bullying them and calling them cowards...

"It's not a big deal that the Uruks are gathering in ever-increasing numbers, you're all just cowards" says family member who lives in Mordor.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/beynate/status/1435571423603527683

RE: strategic voting, I always vote NDP but I kind of like my Liberal candidate. He seems like a good dude from the young progressive wing of the party.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/beynate/status/1435571423603527683

RE: strategic voting, I always vote NDP but I kind of like my Liberal candidate. He seems like a good dude from the young progressive wing of the party.

And unafraid to throw shade at one of his caucus colleagues

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Voted NDP today. Kinda depressing to think that no matter where I've lived in Canada, my candidate has never won before.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Dear Local Candidate,

Please accept this vote as a token of love.
If you're not doing anything later, lets gently caress.

Love,
Local Constituent

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Dear Local Candidate,

Please accept this vote as a token of love.
If you're not doing anything later, lets gently caress.

Love,
Local Constituent

sadly i voted for my local ndp candidate and then i read his candidate profile and he's happily married with like 3 kids

drat, what could have been

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
It's 2021. Having a family and kids is no longer a show stopper.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Hizawk posted:

Voted NDP today. Kinda depressing to think that no matter where I've lived in Canada, my candidate has never won before.

Yeah, since I've been old enough to vote the ridings I've lived in have always been >75% CPC.

CPC support might actually fall below 75% this time given the number of lawn signs, road signs, and car flags for PPC. There's at least 2 PPC signs for each CPC. And not a single Liberal or NDP sign on my commute to work. Come to think of it I don't think I've seen any local advertisements for either of those parties since the election was called.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Hizawk posted:

My candidate has won once - Joel Harden - and it was the election that brought Doug Ford to power.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Hizawk posted:

I gotta say what I thought was a throwaway NDP vote in the 2015 Alberta provincial was probably the best feeling win I've ever had.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MNIMWA posted:

My candidate has won once - Joel Harden - and it was the election that brought Doug Ford to power.

If Harden could trounce Naqvi then McEwan has a shot at turning Ottawa Centre Orange as well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

If Harden could trounce Naqvi then McEwan has a shot at turning Ottawa Centre Orange as well.

Plz plz plz

She seems like she’s one of the few ndp candidates who is actually on top of their poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/northsidechad/status/1435650265198194694?s=19

Was flipping through Kenney outrage and found this beautiful thing.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Arc Hammer posted:

:allears:

This was in the reccomended tweets under that:
https://twitter.com/UbakaOgbogu/status/1435402588619370501

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arc Hammer posted:

It's nice to dream, but isn't it two years until the next provincial election?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's nice to dream, but isn't it two years until the next provincial election?

Yeah, however it looks like Kenney's going to drag out the covid misery for as long as possible so people will still remember it come election season. What a politician!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Another pro plague rally today in Vancouver. Thankfully they aren't protesting outside a hospital again (though they might still). Lots of PPC signage everywhere so I am glad that shitshow of a party is tying itself to the shitshow of a protest.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

cranks gonna crank

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone excited to watch Annamie Paul get completely ignored tonight?

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Arc Hammer posted:

Anyone excited to watch Annamie Paul get completely ignored tonight?

Just tuned in to see her being asked if the Greens still have a purpose - oh boy.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Capri Sunrise posted:

Just tuned in to see her being asked if the Greens still have a purpose - oh boy.

Did she reply, "to get me elected," or did she lie.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Anecdotally, the handful of people I've talked about this election with lately have felt pretty burned by voting NDP last provincial and getting Doug Ford for their troubles.

Naqvi knocked on my door in centretown outside of the writ period a few years ago and asked me if I needed anything. No discussion about voting, or political preferences, or trying to sell me on something. I was so confused by an elected figure asking me that out of the blue, I told him I was fine. It was so weird, he didn't have anyone with him either. He was just going around the neighborhood by himself, knocking on doors.

That really stuck with me and I kinda regretted voting for Joel Harden since then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

brucio posted:

Anecdotally, the handful of people I've talked about this election with lately have felt pretty burned by voting NDP last provincial and getting Doug Ford for their troubles.

Naqvi knocked on my door in centretown outside of the writ period a few years ago and asked me if I needed anything. No discussion about voting, or political preferences, or trying to sell me on something. I was so confused by an elected figure asking me that out of the blue, I told him I was fine. It was so weird, he didn't have anyone with him either. He was just going around the neighborhood by himself, knocking on doors.

That really stuck with me and I kinda regretted voting for Joel Harden since then.

Funny you mention that because I just got a letter from Naqvi today. Still no intention on voting for him because gently caress this government they could use a smack in the teeth (without giving it to the Cons), but it does mean that my registration to vote in Ottawa Centre rather than Renfrew-Nippissing-Pembroke has gone through if they're addressing it to me by name.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Saw a headline/topic on twitter "Ford government announces new Sept. 30 federal holiday will not be a stat holiday in Ontario" Sounded incredibly dumb at first - sure, just throw away some potential good will and easy political points from the working class.

Then, I looked up why that was being made a federal holiday.

Ontario will not make National Day for Truth and Reconciliation a provincial holiday

Oh. Of course, Ford's gotta appeal to the racists.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Went to class (university, finishing my comp sci degree so I can increase my value and marketable skills) and it was like, jammed packed. Some people could be 1 seat away from others leaving a gap to distance a bit but when I arrived there was only seats inbetween other peoples seats remaining.

It's bad enough because if I wanted to take notes with my laptop there's like barely any elbow room, why isn't every class online.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Saw a headline/topic on twitter "Ford government announces new Sept. 30 federal holiday will not be a stat holiday in Ontario" Sounded incredibly dumb at first - sure, just throw away some potential good will and easy political points from the working class.

Ontario will not make National Day for Truth and Reconciliation a provincial holiday

Not sure if he'll even get support from the racists on this one. I'm sure that even racists would like another paid day off work.

The ball's on a tee, and Ford still swung and missed.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Well to be fair the fact that it's not in mid-november or march - the holiday deserts is pretty dumb.

That stretch between thanksgiving and christmas is loving brutal same with family day and easter is equally brutal

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Slotducks posted:

Well to be fair the fact that it's not in mid-november or march - the holiday deserts is pretty dumb.

That stretch between thanksgiving and christmas is loving brutal same with family day and easter is equally brutal

It’s not supposed to be a holiday tbf. It’s supposed to be a day off work for national reflection and learning. I’m not betting there will be a lot of that from the people who do get it off.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

St. Dogbert posted:

Not sure if he'll even get support from the racists on this one. I'm sure that even racists would like another paid day off work.

The ball's on a tee, and Ford still swung and missed.

Slamming the ball directly into the crowd

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Lmao this country can't even bring itself to do a symbolic sop apology for what they did

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Oxyclean posted:

He only decided that now? poo poo, the UCP announced it wouldn't be provincially mandated in Alberta when the new holiday was announced 2 weeks ago, or whenever

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Aces High posted:

He only decided that now? poo poo, the UCP announced it wouldn't be provincially mandated in Alberta when the new holiday was announced 2 weeks ago, or whenever

It was in June lol. So he's had 3 months

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Aces High posted:

Alberta is much more confident in their racism than Ontario, obviously.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

It’s not supposed to be a holiday tbf. It’s supposed to be a day off work for national reflection and learning. I’m not betting there will be a lot of that from the people who do get it off.
Oh no doubt, I just find it funny that Doug Ford is unwilling to give people that.

Sort of makes me think of the crap people go on about how Nov 11th shouldn't be a stat holiday because it would ruin the meaning of it. Nevermind the banks, government employees, other provinces that already have it off.

Won't be surprised if they try to pull the same dishonest reasoning for not giving people the 30th off.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/pressprogress/status/1435996936520273923?s=20

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1435755617327665153?s=20

Wow look how progressive these Conservatives are

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Arivia posted:

I didn't realize that Remembrance Day was a provincial holiday everywhere except ON, MB, NS and QC. I'd been moving to/from those provinces most of my life. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Arivia posted:

Yeah I'm sure if you just did something like redirect all tax revenue gained on that day to first nations it'd be a bit more impactful than some stupid day off that 90% of people will use as an excuse to get wickedly drunk