Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kraftwerk posted:

Is Icarus a good game or worth playing? I've long wanted a more co-op oriented survival game where you go from tribal level tech to guns and spaceships. I never liked the whole dinosaur thing in ARK so I bounced off it.

Is the game supposed to be more grounded in reality or just less space dinosaurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kraftwerk posted:

Is Icarus a good game or worth playing? I've long wanted a more co-op oriented survival game where you go from tribal level tech to guns and spaceships. I never liked the whole dinosaur thing in ARK so I bounced off it.

I've been in the first beta weekend and at least for me, it's decidedly in the "meh" camp. Nothing particularly new, a bit grindy, bad performance, balance issues (I can't believe that being attacked at your camp by wolves 4 times every day like clockwork is intended) but it was just a sneak peek at the game apparently and every beta weekend will expand significantly. I'd give it a 4.5/10 as is right now, but if they don't completely mangle it, it could be a 7/10 if you like the specific kind of game (coop PvE with a lot of emphasis on how the world itself is out to kill you), and personally if there's eventually an instanced mode where I can set up my parameters for the world and just build stuff would be so cool in itself that it'd be worth it IMO.

Catching yourself on fire by walking on a lit campfire and panicking, then running through the forest to jump in a lake to douse myself but setting fire to EVERYTHING in my path was really really fun, though! The forest fires lasted through the night :v:

Other people upthread absolutely hated it, so wait and see what they have to say too of course

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I gave up on Raft after I stopped at the first island I came to and the shark kept attacking my raft. Just destroyed all inclination I had to explore.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The shark is the most annoying part about Raft.

It shouldn't be "every ten minutes (or whatever) the shark respawns and you have to deal with it", it should be "every 10 minutes there's a % chance of the shark spawning" that can be raised and lowered based on how you build your raft.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
install the armored tiles on the sides of your raft, also park a throw away from islands, never think about shark again

the initial iron grind for armored tiles does suck tho

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Truga posted:

install the armored tiles on the sides of your raft, also park a throw away from islands, never think about shark again

the initial iron grind for armored tiles does suck tho

Just the sides? Did they change that? I thought you had to fully armour the bottom. I ended up making a decent foundation and making a raft "tower".

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

As far as I've been able to tell, playing almost a dozen hours with my cousin lately, the shark can only bite on an 'open' side of a square. So unless you've got a hole in the bottom somewhere, he can only nibble on the edges.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Drone posted:

The shark is the most annoying part about Raft.

It shouldn't be "every ten minutes (or whatever) the shark respawns and you have to deal with it", it should be "every 10 minutes there's a % chance of the shark spawning" that can be raised and lowered based on how you build your raft.

At first I was super pissed that Voidtrain has a space shark, but it seems like it only appears once per zone and once it dies, it's dead. So you just have to park the train and shoot the dumb thing for a couple minutes and it's done. Because, yeah, I was having Raft flashbacks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

Just the sides? Did they change that? I thought you had to fully armour the bottom. I ended up making a decent foundation and making a raft "tower".

all the outer tiles. i have a hole for the anchor and didn't armor around that hole and bruce never attack those tiles either, so just the outer tiles is cool

i think it got changed at some point, but it must have been a pretty long time ago because it was before i bought the game

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It still eats armored tiles, though. They just last a little longer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what? is that new? i swear when i last played armored tiles just made the raft not get attacked on that tile, and when you're full circle, ever

e: yeah, from the wiki:

quote:

Armoring Foundations and Nets protects them from being attacked by the Shark. To fully protect the raft the player will need to armor the outer foundations only. This got changed with the Second Chapter, before the player had to armor the complete Raft. When armoring up the raft it is advised to first armor places supporting builds of high value to the player, such as Stairs, Walls with Storages or the Engines since removing a Foundation may destroy anything above it unless it has support from one of the adjacent Foundations.

armor your edges and you're good to go

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 3, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vib Rib posted:

It still eats armored tiles, though. They just last a little longer.

Unless that's a very recent change, it does not. It will, however, eat internal tiles if all the edges are metal so you have to armor everything.

Once you're all metal the shark just swims around looking sad. So desperate for the sweet taste of wood and plastic that it'll attack new unarmored tiles almost instantly

On the topic of the shark, they're not that bad. If you stab them just before they strike you'll take no damage. Takes a bit to get the timing down, but after that islands just end up being a nice source of bonus shark steaks

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What the actual hell I just assumed armored took longer to destroy. This changes everything.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just came across a game called Blight which is in open playtest

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1564600/Blight/

Kind of reminds me of a project zomboid type game except for forest survival instead of zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQNtueKObfQ

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Just came across a game called Blight which is in open playtest

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1564600/Blight/

Kind of reminds me of a project zomboid type game except for forest survival instead of zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQNtueKObfQ

Looks cool, and the request to join is more or less a formality, you get access instantly. Gonna check it out when I get back home.

edit: this bit is pinging my "tedious bullshit" early warning system, but I'll have to see how it's implemented.

quote:

Actions like chopping trees and cooking food take a lot of precious time. You can only carry a few things at a time. You need to boil water to make sure it's safe to drink. Water and other liquids need to be carried in bowls and other containers, and will spill out if not transported securely. You will need to scavenge numerous raw materials, many of which will need to be processed, combined, treated or hardened to make tools, items and structures.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 4, 2021

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ehh... on the surface you can say the same stuff about URW and it works there. Really depends on exactly how they do it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

BrianRx posted:

Looks cool, and the request to join is more or less a formality, you get access instantly. Gonna check it out when I get back home.

edit: this bit is pinging my "tedious bullshit" early warning system, but I'll have to see how it's implemented.

Let me know if you end up trying it. Let me know if you have any tips on catching a rabbit. I thought I finally got one cornered but then a coyote came and chased it away.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Let me know if you end up trying it. Let me know if you have any tips on catching a rabbit. I thought I finally got one cornered but then a coyote came and chased it away.

Take a page out of URW and make yourself a trap fence of rabbit snares. I could usually get the rabbit pretty close, but they'd veer off at the last second, a few traps set up in a line lets you lead them in pretty easily.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Varsity posted:

Take a page out of URW and make yourself a trap fence of rabbit snares. I could usually get the rabbit pretty close, but they'd veer off at the last second, a few traps set up in a line lets you lead them in pretty easily.

ohh that's a good idea! Turns out the rabbit I was chasing was mauled by the coyote, and cooking cleared that objective.

I do recommend anyone playing to use the Cairns often. I went out to collect my resources and lost my way. I was going to set up a new camp, but don't see a way to get a new bedroll to sleep so had to restart. Enjoying the game a lot so far.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BrianRx posted:

Played this for a couple hours. Impressions so far:

The tree-chopping and cooking aren't bad at all, even a huge tree only takes a few seconds. Carrying the wood is a bit of a pain, since your starting backpack has very few slots. Walking encumbered is ok. You'll clear cut the area immediately surrounding your starting camp pretty quickly. I've been cutting as much as I can carry and then dumping it, rinse, repeat. Keep a woodpile handy. Cooking takes some time, but food doesn't burn so you can start something and go cut more wood or gather stuff or whatever.
Starting area seems to be random, so you might have lots of resources or very few. The first day begins in the evening so you've got to do a fair amount of work to get ready for night. If it's a bad spawn I'd just restart.
Rabbit snares work in the worst possible way. You have to chase them into it instead of working like a real snare where you set it and check it periodically. Trying to chase extremely agile bunnies into a tiny snare sucks. I may try building a fence to funnel them into the trap, but that's extra crafting/time. I've been eating coyotes because they're easier to kill :v: (e: trap fence suggested, will give that a go)
Items seem to spoil very quickly, even when cooked. Food is an issue, I starved to death on a save just trying to find sufficient food. You can gather berries/seeds and eat them with no cooking, but they do almost nothing for hunger. I got attacked by coyotes, killed a couple, and the meat does only OK for hunger. It also makes you negligibly sick when eating - make sausages when you can. The instructions said you could cure it with salt, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Might just be me being dumb.
Game looks nice. It's top down, and you get a radius of clear vision when you go into trees, which is great.
There's a lot of stuff you need to build which requires a lot of luck. You can't make things like pickaxes which are needed to mine metal without metal, so you have to go scrounging for little chunks of ore laying on the ground. Finding big deposits wasn't an issue, but the little bits were very random and all seem RNG.
No controller support which is balls for someone like me who is poo poo with KBM. Hopefully they add it at some point, but I don't give the game negative marks for it.

Overall right now I'd give it 6/10 - fairly solid and not annoying to play other than the RNG aspect. Since it's only still in alpha and free I would definitely give it a go, hopefully they'll refine the gameplay as they go.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For some reason I always get them confused: Is it Osiris: New Dawn or Empyrion Galactic Survival that's supposed to be the good one? Or are they both just trash?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

SubponticatePoster posted:

Game looks nice. It's top down, and you get a radius of clear vision when you go into trees, which is great.

How is this for gameplay? It seems like a very aggressive angle for top down which I kinda am turned off by the idea in a survival game because it just feels lame for a bear or something to come out of nowhere right in front of your line of vision. I guess it sort of simulates really thick bush, but kinda feel like that would take away the immersion or whatever.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Vib Rib posted:

For some reason I always get them confused: Is it Osiris: New Dawn or Empyrion Galactic Survival that's supposed to be the good one? Or are they both just trash?

Empyrion is good and Osiris was trash but is still early access.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Saw a lot of talk about Vintage Story ITT, picked it up and am loving it. One question though, I'm trying to get farming going and put up fences but rabbits are still getting in? I'd trade a carrot or two for the free red meat supply but I really need to grow flax and they love chomping on it. What's the deal? I don't want to go back to my dumb 2-deep moat method, looks terrible.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hares can only jump 1 block high, so fences should keep them out (assuming they can't find a way to pathfind up that wall on the right). However they do spawn on any lit grass blocks, so maybe they're spawning "inside" the fence blocks atop the grass? Maybe replace the blocks under your fences with some other non-grass block? Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
One of my guesses is the farm is in a recession in the ground, and there are blocks across from the fence that maybe they're... jumping across a gap in a herculean effort to steal my flax? It's either that or what you say about the grass blocks under the fence - which would be strange but I can see it happening. I'll swap them out and see if that can keep the rabbits away

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I was watching paulsoarsjr play it and he basically just dug a 1 wide x 2 deep trench around his farm and also that way it was easy rabbit killing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Zodack posted:

Saw a lot of talk about Vintage Story ITT, picked it up and am loving it. One question though, I'm trying to get farming going and put up fences but rabbits are still getting in? I'd trade a carrot or two for the free red meat supply but I really need to grow flax and they love chomping on it. What's the deal? I don't want to go back to my dumb 2-deep moat method, looks terrible.

What blocks are between the trees? I also try to make sure that there’s no blocks on the same level as my fencing within 2 blocks of the fence because rabbit magic.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

What blocks are between the trees? I also try to make sure that there’s no blocks on the same level as my fencing within 2 blocks of the fence because rabbit magic.

They're all planks and logs, it's the siding of my house. Back behind the dark you can see a few grass blocks one level up and one square back, maybe they jump from there?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

While they can only jump 1 block high, I'm pretty sure they can jump several blocks across. You might want to flatten out the area around your field a little more.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm not sure their pathing is advanced enough to get a running start like that, though. If it was, digging pits around your crops wouldn't work, but it does.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Well, the rabbit issue inexplicably solved itself with no real perceivable input from me. I changed the surroundings of the garden just a little bit to widen it out and move some barrels away from the fence but nothing big. No rabbits now, though, just a bunch of nutrient-drained dirt.

Loving this game. Minecraft has always been fun but lacks a clear goal or progression other than "build thing", and I had a stint with Haven and Hearth where I loved the complex, multi-step processes you needed to go through for metal, meals, etc. This is a great marriage. And I haven't even started using the chisel yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I enjoyed what I played of if it overall, but Vintage Story ended up frustrating is a few way, mostly the complex process of making things with clay or smithing.

It’s interesting and amusing the first few times, then it’s just annoying and tedious.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Maybe I have a poisoned brain but that's one of the things I'm enjoying about it. My only real holdup right now is how many Drifters moan outside my cozy house at night and how long it takes to reap grass for my animals. That and the wiki is at times incomplete. I just want to know what, other than dry grass, I can feed my pigs. Because the answer so far is "not parsnips".

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Oysters Autobio posted:

How is this for gameplay? It seems like a very aggressive angle for top down which I kinda am turned off by the idea in a survival game because it just feels lame for a bear or something to come out of nowhere right in front of your line of vision. I guess it sort of simulates really thick bush, but kinda feel like that would take away the immersion or whatever.
It works well in that you can see stuff under trees to pick up, but it's not a huge radius so surprise bears would still be a thing. I only got a couple days in, but it seemed like the more dangerous wildlife only spawned at night (bears, wolves) and during the day it was coyotes which can still murder you but will run off if you hit them with your axe a couple times. That might change later on. I prefer 1st or 3rd person, but this wasn't terrible. It's free, I'd say give it a peek and if it's not your thing then no loss.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Zodack posted:

Maybe I have a poisoned brain but that's one of the things I'm enjoying about it. My only real holdup right now is how many Drifters moan outside my cozy house at night and how long it takes to reap grass for my animals. That and the wiki is at times incomplete. I just want to know what, other than dry grass, I can feed my pigs. Because the answer so far is "not parsnips".

Huh, I figured that veggies would be things pigs ate, but the grains work. You could try carrots, I note there are different tooltips between using flax grain and rye grain. I keep chickens and sheep, they both eat grain as I save my grass for clay firing and other firepit making needs. I note when I fill the troughs with grains it says food for both sheep and pigs; flax describe as, "pigs and sheep will eat this" and rye as, "sheep and pigs consider this a treat." My farm is largely about making a fuckton of flax, a decent helping of spelt/rye, carrots/onions during the spring/summer, turnips in the fall. I start off about... 30? functioning plots? I usually find a small pond and build around that to start, then once I've gotten buckets make a new more ideally positioned and placed farm. The pond throughout functions as a place to plant cattail roots for skep making.

I used to make a dozen or two of crocks, but instead went just vegetable storage in clay containers and loads of grain this play through, as vegetable pies (and fruit pies when the last of the fruit came in) last a nice length of time and the pieces can stack as long as you make all the ingredients the same and onions last over a year in the clay container in a cellar. Cruising with 12 pieces of 400+ satiety filling goodness with a 7 day spoil rate taking up 1 inventory slot is really nice, though it sucks a bit that you can't mix veggies and meat, for example. You also can't use eggs in a pie (ugh but quiche!), so I still use cooking pots and bowls regularly too.

I found two broken static translocators today, did my first spelunking into dark areas of the "straight into the core" type of open holes in the world. My goal is to fix them and see where they take me, but I need more materials.

Toggling on the node search for the prospecting pick was an excellent decision. Having both density and node search has made mining and excavating far less of a headache.

It's middle of January now and the nights are still getting into the -10+ level, so I haven't thought about starting up with the cold tolerant crops yet. I'm waiting on spring to get the bees going again for more candles to fuel the lantern making I want for more permanent lighting. My home area is well lit, but I'd like permanent lighting in the two translocator areas for ease of usage.

Here's a view of the homestead, from atop my windmill/forge building:

Middle building is the crafting and cooking area, there's a cellar underground that connects it to the building in the back which I'm building as a show-off home (polished suevite, display cases of shells, big glass wall, etc.). You can see 9 bee hives off to the left, 2 spots for pit kilns between, and a few rows of berries lining the wall. The giant field of cranberry and blueberry is to the right.

This is mainly the newly redone farm, way more space so I can just grow all the flax (local traders want linen, so I shall provide!). The sheep and chicken pens are visible - I'm close to generation 3 for the chickens, sheep the last lamb day wound up being two rams (2 ewes 1 ram to start with). The pond surrounded by cooper's reed is visible, you can't see the roots in the pond itself though due to the snow. My lantern placement isn't ideal (likely several more than I need), I've not decided yet if I want to try and redo it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My main issue with vintage story at the moment is what a pain in the rear end metal is to find. I gather that it spawns in rather large veins so finding one basically sets you for a while but goddamn is it tedious to pan for 20 copper nuggets to make a tool that only lasts 3-4 times as long as a stone one.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how does MP work in Zomboid? Is it just not on the current beta branch? Never tried it, but I'm interested and since I put Windows on my mac, I no longer have issues with the graphics or running it on an older machine.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So how does MP work in Zomboid? Is it just not on the current beta branch? Never tried it, but I'm interested and since I put Windows on my mac, I no longer have issues with the graphics or running it on an older machine.

Correct, MP is just in the old version currently.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Played this for a couple hours. Impressions so far:

The tree-chopping and cooking aren't bad at all, even a huge tree only takes a few seconds. Carrying the wood is a bit of a pain, since your starting backpack has very few slots. Walking encumbered is ok. You'll clear cut the area immediately surrounding your starting camp pretty quickly. I've been cutting as much as I can carry and then dumping it, rinse, repeat. Keep a woodpile handy. Cooking takes some time, but food doesn't burn so you can start something and go cut more wood or gather stuff or whatever.
Starting area seems to be random, so you might have lots of resources or very few. The first day begins in the evening so you've got to do a fair amount of work to get ready for night. If it's a bad spawn I'd just restart.
Rabbit snares work in the worst possible way. You have to chase them into it instead of working like a real snare where you set it and check it periodically. Trying to chase extremely agile bunnies into a tiny snare sucks. I may try building a fence to funnel them into the trap, but that's extra crafting/time. I've been eating coyotes because they're easier to kill :v: (e: trap fence suggested, will give that a go)
Items seem to spoil very quickly, even when cooked. Food is an issue, I starved to death on a save just trying to find sufficient food. You can gather berries/seeds and eat them with no cooking, but they do almost nothing for hunger. I got attacked by coyotes, killed a couple, and the meat does only OK for hunger. It also makes you negligibly sick when eating - make sausages when you can. The instructions said you could cure it with salt, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Might just be me being dumb.
There's a lot of stuff you need to build which requires a lot of luck. You can't make things like pickaxes which are needed to mine metal without metal, so you have to go scrounging for little chunks of ore laying on the ground. Finding big deposits wasn't an issue, but the little bits were very random and all seem RNG.
No controller support which is balls for someone like me who is poo poo with KBM. Hopefully they add it at some point, but I don't give the game negative marks for it.

Overall right now I'd give it 6/10 - fairly solid and not annoying to play other than the RNG aspect. Since it's only still in alpha and free I would definitely give it a go, hopefully they'll refine the gameplay as they go.

Rabbits fixed!

Rabbit snares can now catch rabbits passively, with a small chance of nearby rabbits walking directly them over time. Will continue to tweak behavior going forward, as well as adding bait ability in the future

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

My main issue with vintage story at the moment is what a pain in the rear end metal is to find. I gather that it spawns in rather large veins so finding one basically sets you for a while but goddamn is it tedious to pan for 20 copper nuggets to make a tool that only lasts 3-4 times as long as a stone one.

Totally. When I started a new world given I'm doing it single player, I doubled the spawn rate of ores and put surface copper and cassiterite up one on their list. I left everything else the same as survival, I felt tree growth, animal numbers/yields, etc. were fine, it's getting metal that's the annoying part particularly with harsh winters.

I also made sure the node search option for the prospecting pick was available. Easiest to set at game start, but you can toggle it in a running game too. It gives the prospecting pick two modes - the first is the usual density check on the chunk (plug for the Prospecting mod that overlays pick data on your map as you find it), the node version allows you to check for ore blocks in a radius around where you propick. If you set it at radius 6, when you use node search it gives you a feedback of current ore blocks in a 6 radius cube centered on the rock block you broke. So, when I find a cave or I make a shaft in an area I want to check for ore of a specific type, I can make a 2 block shaft with ladders down to mantle and use the node search on the propick to widen out my area of investigation significantly.

So with all that, you could probably set metal spawning at 150% as currently I'm doing rather well in metal if you like some challenge. It's not super easy to find specific metals to advance, but I'm basically set on at least staying in bronze tier for ages if I hadn't managed to find the giant hematite vein.