Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

i'm surprised how contentious those comments are for a 9/10 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well, the country didn't really come together until after 9/11, so

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rt4 posted:

What's the best Switch game to play with my 6 year old who sucks at video games and can't read?

1. goose game
2. mario kart

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

rt4 posted:

What's the best Switch game to play with my 6 year old who sucks at video games and can't read?

Untitled Goose Game

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

rt4 posted:

Odyssey. Both my nephews (4&6 at release) can beat all the bosses for it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

rt4 posted:

snipperclips! cut each other into silly shapes and solve puzzles, cooperatively. from what i remember there aren't very many stages that require tons of precision from both players

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CPColin posted:

Well, the country didn't really come together until after 9/11, so

lol

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

snipperclips! cut each other into silly shapes and solve puzzles, cooperatively. from what i remember there aren't very many stages that require tons of precision from both players

This looks awesome

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1435649337829167113?s=20

I'm still holding out hope for more special editions to become available :smith:

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

rt4 posted:

Just going through this with my 3.5 year old, but for actually playing around on their own, she loves Mario kart and odyssey. MK8 can be set up to auto drive which is nice, and Odyssey she can just run and jump around and explore. She knows how to fast travel, change outfits, and fly to other worlds on her own and I just had to get over losing all my coins when she dies over and over. For coop, we are doing Lego city undercover now since we can both play at the same time and still do stuff; she's not locked to me and can free roam if she wants, and I can still make progress at the same time or drive a bus for her or whatever.

I love snipperclips, but she can't quite grasp the puzzle solving with me yet (you might have better luck with a 6yo). So no one is really playing. If your kid can do it, definitely a super good game though.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 9, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Yoshi's Crafted World might not be a bad pick if you can find a cheap copy.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I have no experience with WarioWare games but the mix of seeming to have a lot of content for a 'microgame' medley plus the anxiety I get not knowing what game is coming up and figuring it out in seconds is making me VERY indecisive about getting WarioWare: Get It Together. I feel like it's a good game TO HAVE but I don't know if I'll ever get comfortable enough to whip it out. Or is the point with WW games that you're never comfortable?

:ohdear:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in warioware you're kind of expected to be taken off guard early on since you won't know the minigames inherently, but they're set up in such a way where they're simple enough to where you'll probably understand what you're supposed to do even the first time you see them. the kicker is mainly recognizing that in time and pulling it off. once you get a feel for it is when you move onto higher difficulty stuff.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had the wario ware ds game back in the day and it was fun i guess. it ended up being one of the count-on-one-hand games i've sold in my life because once you've seen the mini games it's kinda pointless, and it has the problem a lot of party games do where they're not fun at all if one person say owns the game and knows all the things to do

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Johnny Joestar posted:

in warioware you're kind of expected to be taken off guard early on since you won't know the minigames inherently, but they're set up in such a way where they're simple enough to where you'll probably understand what you're supposed to do even the first time you see them. the kicker is mainly recognizing that in time and pulling it off. once you get a feel for it is when you move onto higher difficulty stuff.

Yeah, this. And the difficulty forever ramps up with the fact that it speeds up. You'll get to a point where you recognize any mini game right away, so it'll feel easy... and eventually, as you get further, it'll speed up drastically.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

rt4 posted:

Super Mario Maker. Your kid can make stages for you to suck at playing.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Postman posted:

Yoshi's Crafted World might not be a bad pick if you can find a cheap copy.

It's the best pick because flying mode makes the game playable for all ages.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rt4 posted:

Besides the other ones mentioned, maybe Part Time UFO and Good Job, mostly just cause she can gently caress around doing stuff and for the most part without really any penalty for doing so (outside of like, reaching the higher achievement goals).

If she wants to shoot things, iirc Assault Android Cactus has an auto aim/fire option so she'd just have to run around, and has a shared life meter that's pretty easy to keep going. If she happens to like wrestling, introduce her to the world of MDickie with Wrestling Empire :v:

Wasn't Kirby Star Allies supposed to be pretty friendly? Can one person carry the team or would a kid that sucks just die off?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Star Allies is kid friendly (my older nephew apparently beat it pretty quickly), and it has some enjoyable mini games and a co-op boss rush iirc

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Morter posted:

I have no experience with WarioWare games but the mix of seeming to have a lot of content for a 'microgame' medley plus the anxiety I get not knowing what game is coming up and figuring it out in seconds is making me VERY indecisive about getting WarioWare: Get It Together. I feel like it's a good game TO HAVE but I don't know if I'll ever get comfortable enough to whip it out. Or is the point with WW games that you're never comfortable?

Lol

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Super Smash Bros M’Lady

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Morter posted:

:pwn:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Morter posted:

who cares it’s fun

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Morter posted:

i'm surprised how contentious those comments are for a 9/10 game

decided to read em after this and lol. one guy going nuts because wario ware scored better than the ninja gaiden trilogy and then admits he's 44

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
WarioWare is pretty much 'Think fast!' the game, where the entire point is to throw curveballs at you as long as you can manage, but you move on from failure pretty much instantly.

If you have a 3DS, Warioware Gold is basically its swan song and seems a good introduction to the series. One of the few games that incorporates all of the console gimmicks into regular gameplay. Got more plot and characterisation than Get It Together seems to so far, with that big wacky cast of cartoon characters. Shitloads of minigame and extras too.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

WarioWare is pretty much 'Think fast!' the game, where the entire point is to throw curveballs at you as long as you can manage, but you move on from failure pretty much instantly.

If you have a 3DS, Warioware Gold is basically its swan song and seems a good introduction to the series. One of the few games that incorporates all of the console gimmicks into regular gameplay. Got more plot and characterisation than Get It Together seems to so far, with that big wacky cast of cartoon characters. Shitloads of minigame and extras too.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves for Wii is the one I've played and also makes pretty inventive use of the motion controls. To be honest I'm a little underwhelmed with the few demo levels of Get It Together I've played so far; I just don't find it as fun playing with a standard controller (and I'm not a motion control fanboy).

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

WHY BONER NOW posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1435649337829167113?s=20

I'm still holding out hope for more special editions to become available :smith:

hmm. i really prefer digital becasue i'm too lazy + stupid to swap out carts and not lose them. but this mug is so dumb i really want it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stay strong. digital ftw. physical is for noobs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Physical means you can share, gift and sell games when you're done with them. And the save data's all on your Switch now anyway.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

a game isnt a product to be used up and discarded. each one is a piece of art to be held in high esteem and treasured and looked back fondly on and returned to in time. todays disposable culture frankly makes me sick to my s tomach and for that reason all physical buyers shouild be probated and bannmed

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

A physical cart will outlive the eShop download you can use it with any Switch you want in 2055 to still play it. Try downloading your library to a used Switch you buy then!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol if you think the degenerate boomers of this forum will be alive by 2025

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

a game isnt a product to be used up and discarded. each one is a piece of art to be held in high esteem and treasured and looked back fondly on and returned to in time. todays disposable culture frankly makes me sick to my s tomach and for that reason all physical buyers shouild be probated and bannmed

i'm just sharing art with others

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

pixaal posted:

A physical cart will outlive the eShop download you can use it with any Switch you want in 2055 to still play it. Try downloading your library to a used Switch you buy then!

The year is 2055. I'm in my 70s, and I'm finally breaking the seal on all my Limited Run games that I thought held some value up until now. Time to play some Quake on my Switch, thank god I went physical!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

It's the year 3000 and I have to settle for playing the entire switch library digitally on my prismatic omniconsole smdh doesn't even work with these ancient cartridges that my family has been saving for generations

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love wario ware but I honestly never play them that long.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

Too bad that physical carts now frequently require downloading updates even on release day to be playable. Some are even putting a huge chunk of the normal game into a required digital download because the publisher wants to cheap out and use a smaller card size.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
let's be real the only real purpose of cartridges is so that you can put them in you're mouth

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pixaal posted:

no, the cheap flash storage modern carts use wont last forever lol hwoever hacked hardware and digital copies on replaceable general storage will, alongside emulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i got Ring Fit on a cart because that's fhe only way to get Ring Fit. Everything else lives on a generalized type of "super-dense cart" or "SD card"