Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

this is a video game we will be playing soon.

and then swiftly move on to getting hrny about velvet veil :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I hope goons don't level their health so I can one-shot them!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm interested in seeing if ranged is fun in this game. For some reason I think a magic archer might be cool for something a bit different.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
BTW, I want invasions of solo hosts for the simple reason that the game is liveliest when you have a large variety in player skill all trying their hands at invasions. I want them to have an incentive. I want bad invaders who can occasionally get a kill against even newer players attempt to invade me and get shut down. I want to invade with a fresh character that I have little experience with their moveset and still feel like I have a good chance if I hit a solo host.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think the only time I didn't like being invaded was DS2 when the guy used the door opening exploit to avoid damage. If you're gonna invade me fight me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you're good enough at Souls games that you can complete them solo and never need help you've basically "aged out" of the intended experience. they're supposed to be brutally unfair and then become manageable when you work together. having two helpers and then an enemy loving with you is totally in that spirit

I'm bad at video games and I've beat every one solo. I do enjoy helping people out with bosses though.

As to the difficulty discourse I already saw someone whining in the replies to the tweet with the new screenshots saying they should add Easy Mode so people can experience it without the frustration. Ignoring all the ways to make the games easier the gameplay IS the experience. Do these people just want to walk around? You can just use a Cheat Engine or something.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 29, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I think these games are more balanced for solo play than coop. Enemies seem to struggle with keeping more than one person busy.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I dislike PVP in general so I simply played with online off the entire time :shobon:

I'm glad that From gave us at least that one difficulty option. Making challenges optional is good and will make the game more enjoyable for a broader range of people.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Yeah, custom accessibility is pretty amazing and games like Celeste prove you can provide satisfying challenges and still make a game accessible to a wide audience. I would love to see FROM games feel inclusive for a bigger audience because I think they are always something really special.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Elden... what? It doesn't ring a bell.

You almost certainly ring a bell in this game

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

That Dang Dad posted:

Yeah, custom accessibility is pretty amazing and games like Celeste prove you can provide satisfying challenges and still make a game accessible to a wide audience. I would love to see FROM games feel inclusive for a bigger audience because I think they are always something really special.

They are sort of doing this with elden ring. No difficulty options but miyazaki has said that you do not need to defeat every boss to complete the story. This is after Sekiro got tons of complaints with people getting stuck on bosses and unable to progress. From does not want that to happen in elden ring. So they are giving players more freedom in how they approach the game. What they really need are accessibility options for diabled players though.

I get why people felt that way about sekiro but honsetly that's what made it so amazing to me. Finally beating a difficult boss was like that gratifying feeling you get playing From games, but on steroids. It was SO good. However, I also am really looking forward to how From handles a more open world game like this. So I really dont mind if its a tad easier. Its still going to be amazing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Spermando posted:

I think these games are more balanced for solo play than coop. Enemies seem to struggle with keeping more than one person busy.

The DS3 DLC bosses do a good job of fighting coop parties imo. I reckon a couple of them are actually harder with 4 players just cause the health pool and poise boosts become huge. The demon prince's I'm thinking of in particular who I swapped to solo to beat way easier.
Almost all are easier with 2 though.

Mind you my group aren't super skilled or anything.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

*chanting* Big map! Big map! Big map! Big map!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the breath of the wild of dark souls, hallowed be thy sentence

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

SMDH if you dont face every invader head on, and 100% refuse to learn from the fights you lose. buggy bullshit lagg game gently caress miyonokazi

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am terrible at invasions. Honestly, just the worst. I know I will get destroyed every time someone invades my game. There is something so different about fighting human players that I cannot wrap my head around. I still loved it though because it was always a case of 'Will this be the first time I beat a human player?'

The entirety of my final day playing DS2 on the last section of the game I had a repeat invader into my world over the course of the 7 hours and he kept having this fun weird battles where he would always be dressed in something else and trying a new gimmick. One battle my weapon broke so he gave me a door shield and we tried to fight each other with those instead.

No other game has ever given me something like that :)

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Souls games are GOTY all years but From continue to have the some of the worst netcode for any multiplayer games. PVP is basically unplayable and I can count the times on 1 hand i've been invaded across the whole series where I thought I had a fair chance due to a good connection. But this makes it hilarious for co-op because you can just i-lag roll/tank through most boss attacks. Would be nice to see a change but not expecting anything different!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its truly tragic because its hard to take it seriously when the connection is so volatile. Maybe thats why so many stoop to just outright trolling for the sake of it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Whenever I did pvp if I ever joined a fight club I would beeline for the host and kill him and ruin everyone's fun. I guess I'm a bully.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Whenever i got recruited to a gank squad I'd stand around and emote and cheer on the invaders

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The only game where the invasion mechanic feels horrible is Demon Souls because if you don't want to be invaded you have to stay in soulform which has like 25% less hp and on early levels that is so annoying. Also you don't get back humanity when you pick up your bloodstains in demon souls so getting invaded feels horrible especially if you have a pve magic build its fkin hard to do anything if the guy can press b.

Normally invaders camp a specific spot so you can just go do another area and come back. Usually you will only get that one guy that is near your level invading you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ulio posted:

The only game where the invasion mechanic feels horrible is Demon Souls because if you don't want to be invaded you have to stay in soulform which has like 25% less hp and on early levels that is so annoying. Also you don't get back humanity when you pick up your bloodstains in demon souls so getting invaded feels horrible especially if you have a pve magic build its fkin hard to do anything if the guy can press b.

Normally invaders camp a specific spot so you can just go do another area and come back. Usually you will only get that one guy that is near your level invading you.

You mean 50%. You get 25% less if you wear the cling ring.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Invasions are a mechanic I rarely-if-ever willingly engage with and 90% of the times I've been invaded have been a nuisance at best, but the other 10% have been some of my most memorable moments in all of gaming. My favorite was my first time through Dragon's Sanctum in DS2, I was getting destroyed at the start of the area because I am bad at these games, I had already died a few times and was starting to get frustrated. I figured I'd give it one more run before bed, but an invasion message popped up before I even got to the first group of enemies and did not do wonders for my morale. I hesitated for a bit, the invader met me in the entry hallway and we had a short awkward standoff wherein he just kind of... didn't attack. I ended up semi-nervously following him through the entire area while he pointed at traps & secrets, patiently waiting for me to work through the enemies. He led me all the way to the next bonfire, waved and left the game.

It was a surprisingly :unsmith: interaction and a cool inversion of a typically hostile mechanic that still felt entirely within the spirit of the game. I'm not sad to see invasions isolated to co-op play, but I did come to appreciate the chaos they introduced

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Demon’s Souls has the best invasions of all the souls games. The levels are best suited for it, the incentives for participation are strongest, and if you really don’t want to deal with it you can always cast Bye Bye Bitch instead of pulling the plug. Getting invaded in the other games is often more like an inconvenience. Getting invaded in DeS is more like waking up in the night because someone just kicked your door down and started smashing all your poo poo into splinters

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Invasions are a mechanic I rarely-if-ever willingly engage with and 90% of the times I've been invaded have been a nuisance at best, but the other 10% have been some of my most memorable moments in all of gaming. My favorite was my first time through Dragon's Sanctum in DS2, I was getting destroyed at the start of the area because I am bad at these games, I had already died a few times and was starting to get frustrated. I figured I'd give it one more run before bed, but an invasion message popped up before I even got to the first group of enemies and did not do wonders for my morale. I hesitated for a bit, the invader met me in the entry hallway and we had a short awkward standoff wherein he just kind of... didn't attack. I ended up semi-nervously following him through the entire area while he pointed at traps & secrets, patiently waiting for me to work through the enemies. He led me all the way to the next bonfire, waved and left the game.

It was a surprisingly :unsmith: interaction and a cool inversion of a typically hostile mechanic that still felt entirely within the spirit of the game. I'm not sad to see invasions isolated to co-op play, but I did come to appreciate the chaos they introduced
Yeah when you invade enough its easy to figure out what players are just trying to progress through the game. Its sad stomping these people so I usually emote a bunch then if they dont want to engage I'll mess around before peacing out.

Like, I've had people do the beg for mercy gesture, I feel really bad for them lol

The worst are invaders that constantly run away when they are losing and waste my time. Just fight me you cowards!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Last (?) run through DeS I was slowly plinking away at the dragon by the last boss, I'm not sure how many arrows I had exhausted. It took quite some time. I was only a few hits away when I was invaded and killed.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

codo27 posted:

Last (?) run through DeS I was slowly plinking away at the dragon by the last boss, I'm not sure how many arrows I had exhausted. It took quite some time. I was only a few hits away when I was invaded and killed.

and so an unforgettable gaming moment was born. invasions own

punished milkman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 30, 2021

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah when you invade enough its easy to figure out what players are just trying to progress through the game. Its sad stomping these people so I usually emote a bunch then if they dont want to engage I'll mess around before peacing out.

Like, I've had people do the beg for mercy gesture, I feel really bad for them lol

The worst are invaders that constantly run away when they are losing and waste my time. Just fight me you cowards!

I like being a nuisance and doing hit and run tactics on people trying to beat the level but yeah when they beg and emote I usually just drop dude some embers/humanity and jump off a ledge

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ulio posted:

Everyone is in Soul Form 90% of the time anyway so dying doesn't affect the world tendency

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

skasion posted:

Getting invaded in DeS is more like waking up in the night because someone just kicked your door down and started smashing all your poo poo into splinters

We've got very, very different ideas of a good time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

You mean 50%. You get 25% less if you wear the cling ring.

Ya but it's just bad design because if you don't put stats in vit you have to basically perma wear cling ring early on and stay dead to avoid invades. Just limits what you can do with your build when one ring is basically mandatory for most of the early game. Ya if you are a good you don't need to wear it but I am sure most new players weeped when they first equiped cling ring.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ulio posted:

Ya but it's just bad design because if you don't put stats in vit you have to basically perma wear cling ring early on and stay dead to avoid invades. Just limits what you can do with your build when one ring is basically mandatory for most of the early game. Ya if you are a good you don't need to wear it but I am sure most new players weeped when they first equiped cling ring.

Oh I don't disagree. It's basically a trap that ends up permanently taking away a ring slot for most players. Then the thief ring is so good at reducing the aggro range that you want to take that most of the time too.

The kicker, both rings are in the very first level!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Oh I don't disagree. It's basically a trap that ends up permanently taking away a ring slot for most players. Then the thief ring is so good at reducing the aggro range that you want to take that most of the time too.

The kicker, both rings are in the very first level!

Man thief's ring is a lifesaver in that game because enemies leash is so long. The boss run to Old hero where you have to go through the cliffside and the flying enemies are just pelting you with projectiles while there is also the rolling skeleton in a super narrow area. Without thief's ring that area is a nightmare as a mage cause the rolling skeletons dodge your spells so you have to kite them back and keep thiefs ring to avoid aggroing the flying enemies. That was imo the hardest part of the game for me, also old hero is hard even with thief's ring if he finds you he sometimes just starts attacking nonstop. Him and Allant were the only challenges, I mean magic is completely broken in DeS but it felt even easier than I originally played it.

Small changes like recovering humanity when you pick your bloodstained are so loving good in Dark Souls, there is so many tiny adjustments like that, that just make Dark Souls more enjoyable. That's I feel like Elden Ring could still be great despite being largely based on DS3. Fromsoft are great at keeping largely the same formula but adding small changes that have a huge impact. Like Estus in DS1, bonfires, rally in Bloodborne, teleport in sekiro from the start.

I still haven't played DS3 yet, I was just keeping it till we get a release date for Elden Ring, I'll probably play that sometime soon.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Guys can we do a whip round

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would literally donate my life.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I would literally donate my life.

1000 souls, got it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
From reddit, an Indonesian interview someone translated.

Also apparently there will be gameplay footage on Friday (US time presumably).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope I can meet leonardo davinci on top of one of the watchtowers I can climb to automatically mark nearby points of interest on my map

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Silly Miyazaki, Summons were always viable in Dark Souls. It's called "getting carried"

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Miyazaki can have all the eye balls I manage to find as well as my own eye balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

why the gently caress cant i preorder this yet