Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
what is SA Code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I've been openly discussing it in SA code if you're there! I am also happy to offer it up in PMs but I'm not confident enough with my post history to tie myself to this account, even if that's just paranoia. I'll DM you ;)

I assume I won't be here forever? I mean I'm only 33 and probably a good 7+ years away from wanting to be a manager.

What's SA code?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The Discord where all us cool kids hang out and complain about technology but occasionally praise other facets of life all day. Bunch of people ITT can invite you if they see this before I wake up, if not just PM me and I'll get to it sometime tomorrow.

It's pretty great, would highly recommend and could always use more jaded tech workers of all roles and levels.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

My metric is "Do I make more individually than married couples who aren't developers?" I had some friends who made more than me combined before my recent raise and it slightly irritated me. That's fixed now.

So irritating, how did you live with it?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Did you get one of your couple-friends fired?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

you take a title drop to work there, not a comp drop. if you can't negotiate an increase in comp don't take the offer. you shouldn't treat that as different from a rejection unless your current job is just the worst thing ever that is killing you.

i was making more than my old job (but with a lower title) on day 1. a little over two years later and i'm not promoted but i do make more than twice my old comp

Yeah, the whole thing does make me feel like maybe I hadn’t gotten as far in my career as I actually thought. Maybe I’m not really Senior, despite trying my best to push forward on it.

Honestly, my perspective on it has changed a bit recently - there’s way more to life than just your career and your title, and there’s other things I want out of it than to just grind levels. Sure, maybe I took a title hit, but that’s not me or anything that determines my worth. It’s gonna take a while to internalize that, but the rest of my life will be slow progress, so I gotta get used to it.

Now I just gotta address everything else in life I’ve ignored over my career. :sigh:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Money matters, titles don’t.

and toucher pay is high enough in the states that worrying too much about money is bad too

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Well I think I'll have a FAANG interview soon. My recruiter a week ago said to take time, practice, study, and let them know when I ready to take the code interview. First time I took a practice assessment on leetcode I bombed it. Now after doing several problems daily, I've nailed a couple of those well undertime and in the top 10% according to their assessment report. So I think I'm going to be ready soon.

I also have an interview with a non-FAANG company. However deeper research into that one has given me a lot of pause. Their overall reviews are great, but there is a definite trend that their reviews dropped off heavily in the last year or two, specifically about some cultural shifts for the worse. Basically going from a near 5 on glassdoor to a 3 in ~2 years. I also have some reservations about compensation, since I noticed they have really wide pay bands even in the same location and title, combine that with the first question I got in a screening email being "What are your expectations of compensation" and I'm worried that they will lowball the hell out of me. Kinda sucks because it's an exact stack match for me, so I'd really be able to hit the ground running there. Not cancelling the interview of course, I'm gonna try to suss out that stuff as much as I can in the interview(s).

I'm probably going to send out more applications since I definitely don't want to count on nailing that FAANG interview.

Do you guys bother with cover letters? I haven't in the past and my impression is they are mostly ignored, but I was considering including cover letters with my next few apps.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I would definitely discount "exact stack match" a lot, because unless you're working on COBOL or something you can probably find that at thousands of different places. As for a cover letter, yeah I think it's worth doing. In general, I apply the philosophy of directly applying extremely infrequently, but putting maximum effort into those applications. Tweak your resume to match the job requirements. Write a cover letter that explains why you would be a good fit (highlight recent projects that match the job requirements).

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I’ve never used a cover letter, but I’ve only applied externally once in the last 10 years. This round I even took out the “vision statement” or whatever businessy buzzword bullshit I had on my resume

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xarn posted:

So irritating, how did you live with it?

Therapy to discuss my crippling lack of self-worth and how I use money as a proxy.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

pokeyman posted:

Maybe you'll love it and want to stay!

But really I was thinking of the many jobs that don't require such a gauntlet, also who knows what the hot new interviewing approach will be in a few years.

Mostly though, congrats on the big raise!

Thank you!

I would ideally never have to do the gauntlet again but it really feels like any company that's going to pay this sort of exorbitant comp with a tasty RSU package is going to require intense algo rounds.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Ideally you make enough money before you can't stand the job anymore that you don't need to particularly worry about the comp at your next job.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was unhappy with my job. I kept it, job searched while I had it, took a year to figure out my next move. Joined a company, after 6 months realized just how awful things were. Quit with nothing lined up. (Day after my last day, they laid off 30% of the company so I'd say leaving on my own terms was a success.) I'm now trying to figure out my next step. I've turned down a bunch of interview requests from my network. I've got a few solid interviews lined up with FAANG and other companies. Given that I only lasted 6 months at my last place, I'm thinking I'm a bad interviewer. How do I make sure I'm not leaving my next place after 6 months?

I feel like the answer is going to be "nobody knows, it's a crapshoot." And that bums me out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you ask the right questions and pay close attention, you can rule out some companies during the interview phase. But there's always the risk that everything will look OK on the surface and then suck when you actually start working there. Maybe the team you interviewed with was fantastic...until their manager quit two weeks after you joined.

Sorry you hired into a crappy position though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

huhu posted:

I was unhappy with my job. I kept it, job searched while I had it, took a year to figure out my next move. Joined a company, after 6 months realized just how awful things were. Quit with nothing lined up. (Day after my last day, they laid off 30% of the company so I'd say leaving on my own terms was a success.) I'm now trying to figure out my next step. I've turned down a bunch of interview requests from my network. I've got a few solid interviews lined up with FAANG and other companies. Given that I only lasted 6 months at my last place, I'm thinking I'm a bad interviewer. How do I make sure I'm not leaving my next place after 6 months?

I feel like the answer is going to be "nobody knows, it's a crapshoot." And that bums me out.
This is hard to get into without specifics, so if you're able to go into what you're really trying to avoid, hopefully some folks here will have strategies that work.

More generally: if you have a tendency to "be on your best behavior" for interviews, and you're in a financial/career position to not do that, then consider not doing that. It feels good to get the dopamine hit of the offer, knowing you met the bar (whatever that means), but any companies that get a bad vibe off of you bringing your whole self into the interview very likely aren't places you want to work. It's in your best interest to let them do as much of the work for you as possible of figuring out a bad fit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What was it that made those two jobs bad? I've definitely had bad experiences that affected what kind of questions I ask during the interview. For instance, in one company I had an absolutely tyrannical product branch without anyone on the developer leadership side who would stand up to them when it came to feature requests and deadlines. Now I tend to ask about the relationship between product and devs during interviews. Another thing I've taken to asking is how come they're hiring externally for my position instead of promoting from within. In good companies this leads to a conversation about promotion processes, bad ones tend to be shocked that anyone would even ask.

Questions like these can help you gather signals about the organization at large. It can't guarantee whether or not the company sucks, but it can help.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
When I have a bad or good experience I try to spend some time thinking about the causes and how I can make it into an interview question in the future. An important part of this process is thinking out what a "good" and "bad" answer to the question looks like.

I had one company where the "unlimited" time off came with a "never stop working" culture. So now I ask the hiring manager either "tell me about your last vacation" or "how do you prevent burn-out in your engineers". When I ask a bad manager (or at least a manager of a bad position), they laugh at the first question (because they never take vacation) and are confused by the second (what is burn-out / it's not preventable / why would I care). When I ask a good manager they recognize what I'm asking and have a ready answer. My current manager (who I think does this well) told me he tracks how much vacation everyone has taken each quarter and if someone hasn't taken at least a week he checks in to make sure they're planning a longer vacation. He said he likes to take his vacation in 1-week blocks and he'll leave himself available by emergency phone (I'm on an SRE team so this felt OK) but he expects his engineers to be totally unavailable during vacations.

I don't know if it's possible to plan for sociopaths who just lie to you, but my experience so far has been that I always got honest answers to my questions.

Ensign Expendable, I really like the "why aren't you promoting someone internally" question! I'll try that one next time I do interviews.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Thank you for the thoughtful answers. I'm definitely going to start asking tough questions.

As far as why the last two jobs were bad:

Job 1: Was amazing when I started. Went public a week before I started. Best engineering culture I've experienced. Then it didn't produce a single new feature in the 2.5 years, stock tanked, it went private again via acquisition.

Job 2: Horribly incompetent leadership. Was cute until poo poo hit the fan. Day after I quit they laid off 30% of the company.

With how many interviews I'm getting, I think I need to be genuine self and so I shall ask tough questions.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

huhu posted:

Best engineering culture I've experienced. Then it didn't produce a single new feature in the 2.5 years

What was the engineering culture because those two statements don't track. It sounds like they utterly failed at engineering if they couldn't ship new features.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are you saying that "cash checks, take naps" isn't a rad engineering culture?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

What was the engineering culture because those two statements don't track. It sounds like they utterly failed at engineering if they couldn't ship new features.

TDD, all code done with mobbing/pairing, 20% time to pay down tech debt, learning hours, 2 paid conferences anywhere each year, and on and on.

Engineering didn't get a seat at the table for like a year and a half. Product told engineering what to do and we didn't have a CTO.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Just curious, has anyone ever asked to take a look at the codebase before accepting a job offer before? I’ve never heard of anyone doing it, and doubt most companies would agree to it, but I definitely would’ve noped out of my current one if I’d seen the multiple headers with thousand line class declarations and the multi-thousand line function implementations before starting and being saddled with a relocation clawback.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no (they'd almost certainly say "lol no"), but i did ask one of my interviewers what the worst piece of code in prod was. it gave me some good signal on the type of tech debt they had (a lot, oh lord it was a lot). i took the job and it was about what i expected with regards to that. i'm glad i asked, it got me prepared if nothing else.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Yeah, I probably just need to figure out some good questions to ask that could help avoid this leaning tower of load bearing spaghetti situation in the future.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Leaning tower of PITA.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I like that "Worst Piece of Code in Prod" question. I wonder what's worse, having no answer or immediately knowing the answer.

Brainstorming a few others:

How did your last few deployments go, were there any problems before/during/after?
How often does an emergency feature or bug fix need to go to production?
-This one and the last one are both related to quality of work, quality of code base, and priorities. I also hate being a fireman.

How did your last onboarding go?
-I just hate starting somewhere and it's a total clusterfuck. I think it serves as a microcosm of how the overall situation is.

Is this position a replacement for somebody who left? If so, why'd they leave?
-Sure would love to know if the last dev just hated the place. Probably worth pressing a bit if they just say "They got a great opportunity..." and I'd want to know what it is that was better.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i work at an open source dealio and the fact that the whole shebang for backend was less than 100k sloc after years of active development and pretty full feature set was a large part of my decision

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

but i did ask one of my interviewers what the worst piece of code in prod was.

If nothing else this is a great ice breaker question in any interview, developers love to bitch about bad code that ruins their day on a regular basis

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A former colleague wanted me to apply to something in their team so I did on Monday night. By this afternoon, I had been rejected. That's gotta be the fastest turnaround on a rejection I've ever had!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A former colleague wanted me to apply to something in their team so I did on Monday night. By this afternoon, I had been rejected. That's gotta be the fastest turnaround on a rejection I've ever had!

Fascinating. With this market, I get excited for every new application, so I'm guessing that you had a strong disqualifying match (such as no experience with the specific tech stack when they're looking for someone that could become an architect). Be really curious why.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

kayakyakr posted:

Fascinating. With this market, I get excited for every new application, so I'm guessing that you had a strong disqualifying match (such as no experience with the specific tech stack when they're looking for someone that could become an architect). Be really curious why.

Apparently on their side they had already moved me beyond the tech screen phase. I guess somebody there decided to move me beyond the tech screen phase and directly into the trash. We're apparently both very perplexed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

decided to move me beyond the tech screen phase and directly into the trash

thread title

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Achmed Jones posted:

thread title

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

thread title

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

thread title

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

thread title

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Apparently on their side they had already moved me beyond the tech screen phase. I guess somebody there decided to move me beyond the tech screen phase and directly into the trash. We're apparently both very perplexed.

:roflolmao: Have had similar happen before.

Definitely thread title.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Have any of y'all oldies that can afford it dropped to less than full-time? My wife has been at 80% for a while now, and we're at the point where I can do similar.

I brought it up at with my manager, and they said they'd look into it, obviously it'll really depend on where the various cutoffs are for 401k/PTO accrual/etc.

My other option is to just return to freelancing/contracting, where I was generally invoicing 30-35h/week and much happier in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

huhu posted:

Engineering didn't get a seat at the table for like a year and a half. Product told engineering what to do and we didn't have a CTO.

For this, I've been asking something like "describe the life of a feature to me. Who comes up with new features? What happens next?"

I feel like most of the time when I ask this the interviewer is confused. I haven't determined yet if it's more because I'm not being clear in my question or if everywhere I've interviewed is stumbling around in the dark.

An example of an answer I think I'd like to hear would be "Product comes to us with a list of the features they want. The engineering manager and a couple of the lead engineers sit down with them and do some quick triage to get rid of really bad ideas and fast-track really good ideas. Once we've got a really rough prioritized list, the manager breaks features down into areas and a team looks at that. Like, the web team would get the part of a feature that's in their domain and then they'd break it down into actual tickets. The iOS team just has their lead dev write all the stories and the web team does it all in a group -- it's just whatever the team likes. Once we've got stories, Product will prioritize them going into 2 week sprints. For everything except Mobile, we release the feature as part of the ticket being closed. For Mobile we have to batch it up and typically do a release at the end of the sprint."

And then I could ask them stuff about how often the sprint-plan gets changed, etc... But usually they seem really vague about where features come from. "Well, sometimes its Product. And sometimes it's things in our backlog. And there's, like, bugs and tech-debt." I guess that's accurate. If someone asked me that about my current job I think I'd say "about half the time, I have an idea I think is important and I work on that. The other half, someone on my team had an idea that I think is important."