Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Where did you buy the continental head unit from?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/radio-orange-display-usb-mp3-wma-12v-vdo/tr7412ub-or~con/

Here it is. FYI: for a 993 (I think for all Porsches), you'll also need a harness to swap two pins on the power plug. You can buy one premade here: https://www.bergvillfx.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks. I was not aware of a US seller for those, but I was aware of Bergvill. I know they have quite the assortment of harnesses. Too bad that ECS doesn't offer those too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Thanks. I was not aware of a US seller for those, but I was aware of Bergvill. I know they have quite the assortment of harnesses. Too bad that ECS doesn't offer those too.

"Harness" is really overselling it. Bergvill's online store was down last year, so I just ended up buying a short ISO cable extension and swapping the pins myself, which took all of 5 minutes.

Edit: the world is so dumb

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-porsche-911-carrera-s-2/

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 6, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think the M490 adapter has a little more to it, although I'm sure it could be done.. I'm lazy as hell though
https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/iso-cable-porsche-996boxster-m490
It's gorgeous, no doubt, but that's "only" $50K less than that turbo slantnose last week :confused:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Just how dumb of an idea is it to consider bidding on this:
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdM5ejm1/2001-porsche-boxster-s

It looks alright, appears to have had some maintenance done, including the IMS, and isn't terribly expensive. I'm in the market for some sort of impractical car that is possibly a convertible.

At the current bid, and under, say $12-14k I'm rather tempted since it seems like I can probably sell my MS3 for ~$8k.

Do any glaring issues or possible problems stand out? Other maintenance that is exceptionally hard to do?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It doesn't look bad. I personally probably wouldn't buy a car that's been tracked but if it's been well maintained it's probably not a big deal. Probably better than never driven.

Interesting they tracked and and did the IMS but still have the OEM cartridge oil filter. And I personally like the guards red with the tan interior.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

“Occasionally taken to track” to me sounds like auto cross rather than an bunch of open pit days. The modifications also look like the usual suspects that are listed by those wanting to auto cross a Boxster.

Apart from the ECU tune but then it is not like some guys who run these things are going to be checking the tune in an old airport runway.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I feel like occasional track time can go a few ways, but at that age it looked fairly well maintained. At $14.8k I'm not mad I didn't bid on it but I guess I may keep my eye out for another well maintained Boxster S. I feel like anything near $30k I might as well just get an ND2 Miata and avoid the added maintenance and other expenses with something more unusual.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I might be dumb or crazy but I see a car being tracked as a good thing. Usually means it went through tech inspections, things were more closely monitored for wear and fluids were replaced more often. On p-cars and stuff it might even mean it was prepped at a race shop before events. Sure there are plenty of stupid/lazy people that do track days in cars that are falling apart but most people have enough sense of self preservation to look over things well before driving fast for hours. Just IMO of course.

Usually not one for autocross but the local PCA is doing on on the 18th so I'm signed up for that. Might be headed to NCM early November if covid numbers setting new records by then. Wife has said she would prefer if the Cayman wasn't used that often on track so it might be one and done for that while we consolidate cars and get something absolutely stupid for track use.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Today in 993 ownership I bring the car in to get an estimate for paint correction + ceramic coat + complete interior detailing, and learn that both doors and one rocker are absolutely covered in light dings concealed by the silver color. We'll see what the PDR guy says when he comes by :arghfist::mad:

Separately does anyone have a view on the Bergvill HID retrofit into the stock halogen housings? I assumed retrofits were bad in general but Rennlist seems to love it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

got off on a technicality posted:

Today in 993 ownership I bring the car in to get an estimate for paint correction + ceramic coat + complete interior detailing, and learn that both doors and one rocker are absolutely covered in light dings concealed by the silver color. We'll see what the PDR guy says when he comes by :arghfist::mad:

If you haven't noticed it, it'll probably be very easy for a good PDR guy to make right. I've seen magic from those guys. Ranging between the orange-sized circle of dents on the front fender of a '92 S4 to the entire right rear quarter my wife caved in while backing into a mailbox, it's art.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

got off on a technicality posted:

Aren't old cars fun? Spotted a nice little dent on the cayman I hadn't noticed before when I washed it the other day, need to see if there's any PDR guys that come to you around here...I've got a few vehicles with a few dents.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey what's this black sticky stuff on my plug? This was in cylinder 1 of my '86 944 N/A. I'm thinking melted rubber boot?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Hey what's this black sticky stuff on my plug? This was in cylinder 1 of my '86 944 N/A. I'm thinking melted rubber boot?

Could be. But it could be a bit of anything that fell down in there considering the plug orientation on the 2.5.

Is any of it on the plug hole bore? What does the inside of the boot look like? What's the consistency/smell of the stuff on the plug?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Could be. But it could be a bit of anything that fell down in there considering the plug orientation on the 2.5.

Is any of it on the plug hole bore? What does the inside of the boot look like? What's the consistency/smell of the stuff on the plug?

The boot did look a little damaged, but I didn't look at the inside. It was sticky but didn't have much of a smell. I thought it was oil at first, until I saw how sticky it was.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Incoming Recall for some 981's - https://www.autoevolution.com/news/your-previous-gen-porsche-boxster-cayman-are-being-recalled-in-the-us-169227.html

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

quote:

Are you the owner of a previous-generation Porsche Boxster or Cayman that you proudly call your weekend car?

No. I daily my Cayman savagely in any and all weather.

Watch it break on the two hour drive to a dealer for a fix though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just finished up installing the Fister II exhaust on my 993 and doing an oil change.

First impressions:
1. Fister exhaust sounds great. Throaty sound with the windows down/radio off, while pretty tame cruising on the highway with the windows up.

2. Changing the oil on the 993 is a process, involving:
a. Jacking the car up
b. Removing rear right wheel.
c. Removing cladding in the wheel well
d. Removing cladding along the bottom passenger side
e. Removing the drain plug near the wheel well.
f. Removing the drain plug at the bottom of the engine case.
g. Removing some heat ducting to get to the smaller oil filter.
h. Draining the oil from the final drain plug/smaller oil filter.
i. Replace the smaller oil filter at the bottom of the engine
j. Replace the bigger oil filter in the wheel well.

Muffler replacement/oil change took me and a local Porsche guy about 3 hours. I think the local indy wants $275 for an oil change. Seems worth it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:negative:

Just had to pass up a paid trip to the LA Porsche Experience Center. Our current childcare situation there just isn't a day I can take off for something that frivolous right now and I needed to vent somewhere.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
A bad idea, fresh off the boat from Japan.

2005 Cayenne Turbo, 82,000km

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
That looks awesome, any details? Plans for it?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Is it just the reflection in the windscreen being weird, or is it left hand drive? If so, is it basically a Euro spec or were there LHD japan only spec sub models?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Ya it's LHD. Appears to have originally been sold in Florida, but then was shipped to Japan very shortly after and been there ever since.

Was originally considering overland build, but the thing is so clean that it seems a shame.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And overland build would be difficult/all custom parts pretty much. There's also no room for a winch on the turbos (too many radiators), so you'd really need a significant bumper.

They do okay flex-wise, but it's not gonna crawl like a live axle truck/jeep. They completely and totally kick rear end for rallies/fire roads though.

I do all kinds of stupid poo poo with mine:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man the air cooled market is absolutely insane, just gonna forget ever experiencing owning one lmao

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-porsche-911-66/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That factory slantnose from a few weeks ago seems like even more of a steal.

another loser posted:

A bad idea, fresh off the boat from Japan.

2005 Cayenne Turbo, 82,000km

Oh this could be interesting. I've heard a real mixed bag about Japanese imports.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

TheBacon posted:

Man the air cooled market is absolutely insane, just gonna forget ever experiencing owning one lmao

Yeah no loving hope. Even the formerly undesirable 996s are getting expensive.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be a gen X or Boomer who had money to buy cool cars.

I guess I'll keep looking for a super clean 986 Boxster S or hope I hit a lottery ticket.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Not gonna lie, I love my 993 even more because I bought it last September before stuff went through the roof crazy.

Few things are better at attracting 50 year old men of a certain type.

Although occasionally, I've caught the occasional 50 year old woman taking a peak. ;-*

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Im so freakin pissed I didn't snatch up the mint stick 993 cab I found on the side of the road for $30k a year ago :(

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

TheBacon posted:

Buy a cab! Expensive but not completely insane...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
911 prices across the board are absolutely insane. I was considering a 997.2 C2S and they’ve gone up at least $15-20K in the last few years.

I really want a 991.2 Carrera T and they have jumped at least $20K in the last 9 months. gently caress.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
My clutch seems to have lost all its hydraulic fluid (slave cylinder failure)

The shop had some nice cars. Probably 15 air cooled porsches there.

Factory slantnose!

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

slidebite posted:

Oh this could be interesting. I've heard a real mixed bag about Japanese imports.

Got it cleared by customs, safety inspected and insured; then over to local Porsche shop for a quick inspection. Only issues that needed to be fixed was a headlight and the rear brakes. Took out the back seats, quickly built a sleeping platform, and then left the next day for a 2000+ km road/off-road trip into the middle of nowhere on the north end of Vancouver Island. Got back yesterday, and didn't run into any issues.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

another loser posted:

Got it cleared by customs, safety inspected and insured; then over to local Porsche shop for a quick inspection. Only issues that needed to be fixed was a headlight and the rear brakes. Took out the back seats, quickly built a sleeping platform, and then left the next day for a 2000+ km road/off-road trip into the middle of nowhere on the north end of Vancouver Island. Got back yesterday, and didn't run into any issues.

:dogstare:

:drat:

You're certainly not loving around. That's amazing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

another loser posted:

Curious to see what you did for a sleeping platform and why you removed the back seats since they fold flat. I assume for storage space below the platform.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Motronic posted:

Curious to see what you did for a sleeping platform and why you removed the back seats since they fold flat. I assume for storage space below the platform.

It was a really quick a dirty build to see how it'd work, with plans to rebuild it later when I have more time. I had to remove the bottom part of the back seats that tip forward, they are about 5-6" thick, which gave just enough extra room for me to be able to lay stretched out. And although the seats do sort of lay flat, seemed like a lot of pressure being put on the back part. Storage wise, higher would have been nice as the space right now is sort of useless, but any higher would make getting in and out/sleeping annoying I think. Also need to get a piece of foam cut to the odd size.

Dog tax

another loser fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 12, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nice.

But interesting on the seats, you might have something different because mine lay completely flat. It's not.....and uncomplicated process just in case maybe you have the same thing.......

You have to pull the seat bottoms towards the front (there are handles for this) and then flip them over (your central inflation hose and gauge should be under the rear seat behind the driver in a white draw string bag....this plugs into a thing just below the front passenger seat that should be covered with a round grommet you can pull out). Then you remove the head rests from the back of the seats and fold them down (and throw the head rests under the seat....there is room).

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Motronic posted:

Nice.

But interesting on the seats, you might have something different because mine lay completely flat. It's not.....and uncomplicated process just in case maybe you have the same thing.......

You have to pull the seat bottoms towards the front (there are handles for this) and then flip them over (your central inflation hose and gauge should be under the rear seat behind the driver in a white draw string bag....this plugs into a thing just below the front passenger seat that should be covered with a round grommet you can pull out). Then you remove the head rests from the back of the seats and fold them down (and throw the head rests under the seat....there is room).

I'll have to double check when I put the seats back in. Mine look like this when folded:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh right....you do get that extra 8-10" taking the seat bottoms out (that are flipped up). I totally forgot about that.

Still super cool, and you should know about Otis: https://www.pca.org/news/otis-the-anti-jeep-speaks-out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Motronic posted:

Oh right....you do get that extra 8-10" taking the seat bottoms out (that are flipped up). I totally forgot about that.

Still super cool, and you should know about Otis: https://www.pca.org/news/otis-the-anti-jeep-speaks-out

Otis is definitely an inspiration. There are a number of pretty cool 955/957 builds popping up. This one is local: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a23548529/porsche-cayenne-off-roader/