Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat playing vicky3 already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bayonnefrog posted:

Also, what is the consensus on managing vassals that are in prison that have revolted against you? Is it best to revoke titles? leave in jail? or release for ransom. thanks.

I'll revoke if the family has too many titles, alliances, and claims to be manageable, banish if I feel attached to the family, and it's just that ruler's traits being incompatible with my rule, and ransom if I don't really care or need the favor. I used to leave them in jail if they were young-ish and had an heir, but it only takes one jailbreak for me to wish I'd done anything else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do y'all manage control? I hate taking my marshall off commander training for like 10 years at a time, and anyway I always miss when he's done, and the counties never stop turning red. I know there are some + control skills in some of the trees, but besides that, how do you handle it?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

zoux posted:

Sure, my entire brood of sons would be happy to visit their peers in your court. And hell, if you wanted to drown a bunch of 'em, no problem!

The AI is learning, my vassals stuck a faction ultimatum in between all the party invitations for the kids and while trying to speed through a dozen children I inadvertently ceded Scotland to the rando claimant of the week

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

How do y'all manage control? I hate taking my marshall off commander training for like 10 years at a time, and anyway I always miss when he's done, and the counties never stop turning red. I know there are some + control skills in some of the trees, but besides that, how do you handle it?

Ignore control in anything that's not your own directly owned territory. Vassals with low control is their problem.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

zoux posted:

How do y'all manage control?

from my experience so far, having Serve the Crown and Strict Organization from the Overseer tree under Martial lifestyle is an incredible facilitator if you are going to do some conquering. Besides, this also incredible searing hot tip must be emphasized

M_Gargantua posted:

monestaries also help make sure your control is solid so your income remains stable

I gave it a deeper look and don't let your bishops/imams/religious official be loving dumbasses and build bullshit instead of monasteries. Build before them, switch characters, do whatever you have to do because the +control is goddamned amazing

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah don't be afraid to build the level 1 buildings (or even upgrades) in your vassel's territories. Ensuring they don't stack up on military buildings ensures that your standing army is always superior and their tax revenue is substantial enough that you get your share.

Control in vassel's also does matter because you get a percentage of all their tax's, and if they are losing tax revenue due to low control that means you've lost it too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kingdom level vassal w enough gold income to makw them a serious threat is basically nothing compared to a fat barony under your control

never depend on vassal income imo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

First off, for counties not owned directly by you, ignore that poo poo entirely, that's your vassal's problem.

As for your own counties, I just ignore it as often as not. In the early game (when you have few counties and few MaA), or if it's a very lucrative county, then it can sometimes be useful to send your marshal to improve control, but most of the time you're better off financially by leaving him on Train Commanders. And if you have several counties you want to increase control of, you're better off picking up the passive control boosts from the authority lifestyle.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I gave it a deeper look and don't let your bishops/imams/religious official be loving dumbasses and build bullshit instead of monasteries. Build before them, switch characters, do whatever you have to do because the +control is goddamned amazing

Seriously. They should really give us back the ability to replace buildings in our own leased holdings, because man alive the AI is not good at it, and I own that poo poo anyway god damnit. Was a stupid change anyway to fix an issue where it would refund gold to the wrong person.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 8, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There are a lot of bugs with leased holdings. For example right now you can't revoke holy order holdings even from hostile religions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

zoux posted:

I ignore it entirely since I don't understand it at all.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

M_Gargantua posted:

There are a lot of bugs with leased holdings. For example right now you can't revoke holy order holdings even from hostile religions.

You can, it's just the little castle with the X over it in the holding's own menu. I definitely just kicked a couple templars out last night that way.

You also need to directly hold the county, is what might be the issue

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I ignore it entirely since I don't understand it at all.

In terms of pure simplicity the more control you have the more tax and levies you get from a county if you're in direct control.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

You can, it's just the little castle with the X over it in the holding's own menu. I definitely just kicked a couple templars out last night that way.

Also you need to find them since the UI will not help you with that at all :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
While we're on the topic, what do you all do when conquering a new kingdom that has a different religion and culture? It's usually a shitshow of peasant uprisings for the next hundred years, and that's assuming you've murdered all the vassals who didn't convert. I understand that it's supposed to be a major PITA, foreign occupancy and all that, but there has to be a better way than what I'm doing (which basically boils down to "suffer through it, and demanding 50+ vassals change religion which is its own UI hell").

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Distribute the lands to vassals of your religion, and keep your army sharp by putting down the rebellions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mister Olympus posted:

Nah, long standing bug report

Happens to holy orders that you've given as well as those you conquered. Nothing shows up in the Domain screen or the holding specific menu. Last I checked the bug tracker its still active. Only happens if they have multiple holdings though, so single barony is fine.

e; testing shows you can use some debug fuckery to give away and reconquer the holdings and it sometimes fixes the revoke button.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 9, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Serephina posted:

While we're on the topic, what do you all do when conquering a new kingdom that has a different religion and culture? It's usually a shitshow of peasant uprisings for the next hundred years, and that's assuming you've murdered all the vassals who didn't convert. I understand that it's supposed to be a major PITA, foreign occupancy and all that, but there has to be a better way than what I'm doing (which basically boils down to "suffer through it, and demanding 50+ vassals change religion which is its own UI hell").

Have your Chaplain convert culture, if you can afford it have your steward convert the most prosperous counties culture as well. Never bother converting culture of garbage counties, as it just drags down the overall cultural innovation rate, unless you specificly need X number of a region to get a specific unlock.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Have your Chaplain convert culture, if you can afford it have your steward convert the most prosperous counties culture as well. Never bother converting culture of garbage counties, as it just drags down the overall cultural innovation rate, unless you specificly need X number of a region to get a specific unlock.

on that topic, I could use some tips how to get a badass chaplain because my entire save has been with some pretty meh guys, bunch of cheap jobbers

I need a loving luminary of Christianity here ffs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
make up excuses to jail, jail. until you get a good one

or do temporal revocable religion, which is frankly worth making a new religion over

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

or do temporal revocable religion, which is frankly worth making a new religion over

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do hope a future DLC addresses this, because arguably for most of this period the current setup for Catholicism and Orthodoxy doesn't at all reflect the reality of monarchs largely choosing their own bishops, up to and including the Pope and Patriarch themselves. The Investiture controversy should ideally be a notable part of Kingdom and empire level gameplay in the period. You should be able to make people bishops, even sell the titles to low nobles and burghers, all at a penalty to your relationship with the Papacy, allowing you to get benefit from those bishophrics (this would replace the endorsement system) while risking the ire of the Pope. Get on his bad side, maybe you're excommunicated and suddenly facing rebellions, give up all that juicy simony and maybe your rebels are risking excommunication instead. I'd like an option to install your court chaplain as pope/patriarch, too, or the reverse if they're already your vassal.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stack your modifiers, get a philosopher-warrior despot and corner the perfidious papal popistic armies in the mountains

(in the process of phasing out heavy infantry into cataphracts. Lessee how it goes)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

you're about to have some fun

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm trying to do the mental arithmetic on if you can do that (still) with nothing but knights. Like, minor eugenics program to have a squad of giant herculean vassals whose children you abduct to tutor into martial machines, and then see if 25 knights with 30 prowess working at 400% efficiency can just conquer the world.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

My dynasty is so huge and widespread in my Islamic Russia game that I basically can't marry any of my kids to anyone without a risk of inbreeding.

There's almost 50 Rurikid cadet branches now.

I really wish there was a "no inbreeding" filter for the marriage screen.

I mean usually I just say screw it and roll the dice, especially if they're only barely related it doesn't seem to come up much. But yeah.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I love Paradox games because I was trying to figure out why I can't revoke titles on the dudes who tried to coup me after my first guy died and like 40 hours in on this game now I've just discovered there's a "realm" tab that would let me change my levels of tribal authority. Someday I will start competently lmao

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hardcore Greek Orthodox choir vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTFhpENNEs

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothBear posted:

I mean usually I just say screw it and roll the dice, especially if they're only barely related it doesn't seem to come up much. But yeah.

A filter would be nice, but ideally there would just be an indicator for how closely they are related, since it gives you the same message for people who share a great-great-grandparent and people who are literally siblings.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Found another bug to be aware of. If you have either your steward raising development or your marshal raising control in a county in a saved game, when you load the game it appears that their BASE skill is somehow used to set the monthly progress they make and it won't update until you set them on another task and then back. So your godlike 30 stewardship guy is only having the effect of the 8 stewardship that are his absolute base before education, traits, etc. Randomly saw it reported on the official forums and did some digging, I'm 95% sure that's what's happening, something to do with the order scripts are executed during the process of loading a game. If you've had your steward just untouched raising development in your capital forever, over the course of many saves and loads, you have definitely wasted a whole lot of potential growth.

Before:

After:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

SlothBear posted:

I usually just check their character screen and as long as they don't share grandparents crack on with getting them married.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Thinking about getting back into ck3, what are the smart and fun starts these days? I don't think I have any DLC if that matters.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Frances Nurples posted:

Thinking about getting back into ck3, what are the smart and fun starts these days? I don't think I have any DLC if that matters.

The starts that the game recommends are still good. Ireland if you want to take it easy, Jimena if you want to go all out on scheming and holy warring, Bohemia if you want to be an OP vassal.

The last one I've enjoyed was the Eudes of Anjou start. I think the non-European world is still a bit insufficiently fleshed out to really be fun, though at least you won't be bothered by the popes' atrocious crusading skills.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
If you're not interested in any of the recommended starts I've had a lot of fun playing as one of the Iberian Muslims in 1066, nice mix of warfare and statecraft, and a real nice holy site in the middle of Spain too.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Hargrimm posted:

Found another bug to be aware of. If you have either your steward raising development or your marshal raising control in a county in a saved game, when you load the game it appears that their BASE skill is somehow used to set the monthly progress they make and it won't update until you set them on another task and then back. So your godlike 30 stewardship guy is only having the effect of the 8 stewardship that are his absolute base before education, traits, etc. Randomly saw it reported on the official forums and did some digging, I'm 95% sure that's what's happening, something to do with the order scripts are executed during the process of loading a game. If you've had your steward just untouched raising development in your capital forever, over the course of many saves and loads, you have definitely wasted a whole lot of potential growth.

Before:

After:

Son of a bitch. That explains a lot...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Hargrimm posted:

If you've had your steward just untouched raising development in your capital forever, over the course of many saves and loads, you have definitely wasted a whole lot of potential growth.
:psyduck:

Sadly, I played many games where I wanted to raise my development ASAP.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I want to hold a grand blot as the kingdom of novgorod and I can't do it because the box for "any sub realm county needs the ability to conduct a grand sacrifice" box isn't checked? What is needed for a sacrifice? I have enough piety and prestige, so I don't really know what is being said here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is basic, but you do have Asatru counties in your realm?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I.. do not. That makes sense, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I reformed my faith for equality and almost immediately died. Now everyone loving hates the new empress. Is this because they're all still in misogynist religions?