Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Golbez posted:

Yep. Territorial evolution articles on Wikipedia started out as my baby, and I've been working on this off and on since 2006. And yes, the original one had a habit of going viral, and I would inevitably be called racist for my [admittedly problematic, which is why I changed how the map is done] labeling of pre-European Oregon County as "unclaimed territory." And also for leaving out territories, etc. And of course some wiseass always says "what about the native americans" which, simply, beyond the scope. No one ever seemed perturbed that I left out a ton of facts, but that's the internet for you. But this latest version is what I've been working on for the last few years and is much improved from the original.
Hey, those evolution articles are particularly awesome. And today they helped me learn about Lost Dakota!

Platystemon posted:

I’m the Salton Sea.
I mean, Lake Cahuilla did exist there at the time of the Columbian contact, although it is mislabelled on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait... they kicked Georgia out again?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Golbez posted:

Yep. Territorial evolution articles on Wikipedia started out as my baby, and I've been working on this off and on since 2006. And yes, the original one had a habit of going viral, and I would inevitably be called racist for my [admittedly problematic, which is why I changed how the map is done] labeling of pre-European Oregon County as "unclaimed territory." And also for leaving out territories, etc. And of course some wiseass always says "what about the native americans" which, simply, beyond the scope. No one ever seemed perturbed that I left out a ton of facts, but that's the internet for you. But this latest version is what I've been working on for the last few years and is much improved from the original.

An example of how it used to look. The main change I did was ignore everything outside the country. What Florida, or Louisiana, or Hawaii, etc., were before being annexed is 100% irrelevant to this map. This is purely "how did the USA define itself." Once I got to that level, it became a lot easier.

Had things developed differently, we would have by now an English USA, French USA , Russian USA and Spanish of USA.

French USA would make esperanto the official language. Spanish USA would have a civil war to choose every king. English USA would be a province of Welsh. Russian USA will have a army of husky dogs.

Golbez, what I know... It seems to me that you are doing a fantastic work.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 8, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While most American maps only acknowledge European land claims and ignore natives, which is problematic, I feel like there's not a lot of alternatives. Not a lot of maps want to sort out which native tribes lived where and track them as separate states like France and Spain.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SlothfulCobra posted:

While most American maps only acknowledge European land claims and ignore natives, which is problematic, I feel like there's not a lot of alternatives. Not a lot of maps want to sort out which native tribes lived where and track them as separate states like France and Spain.

Yeah, part of the issue here is that indigenous and colonial groups often had pretty divergent ways of thinking about political geography, which can make representing both on a single map difficult without misrepresentation. You can do it by, say, noting the locations of major settlements, but that works best for sedentary, high population communities. Shading large areas associated with particular people groups, like the map above does, works ok (particularly for comparison with colonial powers) but it can give the impression of Westphalian states.

Meanwhile, one of the few surviving maps of indigenous authorship in eastern North America, the Catawba Deerskin Map, shows a view of the world that gives less weight to territorial control and more to trade and travel routes between groups:

Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 8, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tei posted:

Had things developed differently, we would have by now an English USA, French USA , Russian USA and Spanish of USA.

French USA would make esperanto the official language. Spanish USA would have a civil war to choose every king. English USA would be a province of Welsh. Russian USA will have a army of husky dogs.

Golbez, what I know... It seems to me that you are doing a fantastic work.

You have to go way back to not have the english colonies dominate. They were the only ones heavily settled. There's a reason the St Lawrence river is the only area where french survived.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Those maps seem to suggest California was 100% unceded Indian land prior to 1839

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Quorum posted:

Yeah, part of the issue here is that indigenous and colonial groups often had pretty divergent ways of thinking about political geography, which can make representing both on a single map difficult without misrepresentation. You can do it by, say, noting the locations of major settlements, but that works best for sedentary, high population communities. Shading large areas associated with particular people groups, like the map above does, works ok (particularly for comparison with colonial powers) but it can give the impression of Westphalian states.

Meanwhile, one of the few surviving maps of indigenous authorship in eastern North America, the Catawba Deerskin Map, shows a view of the world that gives less weight to territorial control and more to trade and travel routes between groups:

I don't think that's a particular irregular thing. A lot of older European maps have similar amounts of abstraction.

https://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2020/07/the-maps-of-matthew-paris.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Map

Before the needs of accurate naval navigation cemented more accurate landmasses into maps, there's nothing really anchoring depictions of territory to specific shapes or sizes. Inland navigation, or even coast-hugging navigation will tend to have many signs of where you are during transit, and what matters more is that all the relevant places are there. Precolonial maps don't seem to be too bothered by exact territorial demarcations either, and it may be that the act of placing big sweeping claims in the Americas changed the way that Europeans thought about maps as well.

But also there's the fact that it's not easy for maps to survive from the medieval or ancient period unless they're big huge masterpieces that a lot of effort went into illustrating, while the simpler Catawba map was saved by more modern document keeping.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Roman maps looked more like modern metro maps than what we think of when we think of maps. Here's the places you want to go, here's the roads connecting them, who gives a gently caress about the shape of Bumfuck Coast or the precise line the road follows between hills?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:hmmyes:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

All lines lead to Rome indeed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Roman maps looked more like modern metro maps than what we think of when we think of maps. Here's the places you want to go, here's the roads connecting them, who gives a gently caress about the shape of Bumfuck Coast or the precise line the road follows between hills?

Presumably they also had some kind of indication of how long it would take you to walk the distance between places?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

BonHair posted:

Presumably they also had some kind of indication of how long it would take you to walk the distance between places?

Not knowing is part of the adventure.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BonHair posted:

I believe the only surviving itinerarium is the Tabula Peutingeriana (Absolutely ultra colossal image warning), which is a later amalgamation of multiple other itineraria. This one mostly uses roman miles (marked in roman numerals between each stop), though from what I understand it switches to gallic leagues in Gaul and Hispania, possibly due to the creator not realising the itinerarium they drew from for that portion was using different units.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Reveilled posted:

I believe the only surviving itinerarium is the Tabula Peutingeriana (Absolutely ultra colossal image warning), which is a later amalgamation of multiple other itineraria. This one mostly uses roman miles (marked in roman numerals between each stop), though from what I understand it switches to gallic leagues in Gaul and Hispania, possibly due to the creator not realising the itinerarium they drew from for that portion was using different units.

Note that an itinerarium is strictly speaking a text that records distances between milestones, and is a literary genre that goes way back to at least the late 4th c. BC. We have a bunch of these preserved, such as the itinerarium Antonini. Again, because precise visualization of land masses wasn’t strictly necessary for travel, graphic representations of these documents like the TP seem to have been relatively uncommon.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Or the pertinent details for a specific journey were copied from one onto a scrap of cloth or wood or wax tablet and discarded/erased. I could imagine someone looking up a route and drawing it for reference but not bothering to keep it afterwards.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

I can't believe the Romans had a city in North Africa called "Caesaria lol"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Worth noting those are only the major roads.

More complete map for e.g. Britain looks like this:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Item Getter posted:

They were much like us, there is a reason they are seen as one of the main progenitors of Western civilization. Have you seen their bathroom graffiti?

They even had their own early version of Internet trolls, such as Cato the Elder, who would deliver rambling copypastas in the Senate (seemingly about nothing) that would always end with the same meme catchphrase about destroying Carthage when the audience was least expecting it

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 9, 2021

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Private Speech posted:

Worth noting those are only the major roads.

More complete map for e.g. Britain looks like this:

When you look at a map like this, it appears as if the canal was the last resort of humanity to contain whatever is on north england.

I see images of roman soldiers fighting Cryptozoids creatures, perhaps Kaiju, perhaps Loch Ness monsters, building different walls to protect humanity from the creatures, and ultimatelly abandoning England altogueter has the Containement Plan failed.

I have images of the operation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DefILRrX77k

(disregard the asian looking of some of the legions, they where conscript in the far east part of the roman empire)

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 9, 2021

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Tsaedje posted:

Or the pertinent details for a specific journey were copied from one onto a scrap of cloth or wood or wax tablet and discarded/erased. I could imagine someone looking up a route and drawing it for reference but not bothering to keep it afterwards.

Sure but then we would expect to find a lot more maps on disposable media, such as papyri and ostraka, and we don't really. Visual maps seem for most people to have been akin to photos on modern restaurant menus -- helpful, but certainly not essential, and thus relatively uncommon.

Long distance travel overland in the Roman Empire basically involved taking the appropriate road out of town that headed the right direction (i.e. if you're heading to southern Italy from Rome, you head out on the Via Appia) and then relying on milestones and information from locals for the rest of your journey. Visual maps were rarely helpful for average people.

Item Getter posted:

There were Caesareas all over the place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarea_(disambiguation)

Just as there were a million Alexandrias (named after Alexander the Great)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_(disambiguation)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
By the way, I can't remember if this has been posted in this thread before, but it's definitely highly relevant:

https://orbis.stanford.edu/

A geospatial model of the Roman Empire that allows you to determine travel routes/calculate travel times throughout its territory.

Great for when you plan your next trip from Caesarea Maritima (modern Qeysarya in Israel) to Caesarea Mauretaniae/Iol Caesarea (modern Cherchell in Algeria)!

(It took a breezy 30 days.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phlegmish posted:

They were much like us, there is a reason they are seen as one of the main progenitors of Western civilization. Have you seen their bathroom graffiti?

They even had their own early version of Internet trolls, such as Cato the Elder, who would deliver rambling copypastas in the Senate (seemingly about nothing) that would always end with the same meme catchphrase about destroying Carthage when the audience was least expecting it

Now I kind of want to call Mar-a-Lago "Trumpania lmao"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The other map the Catawba map immediately reminded me of was the one in Vinland Saga, but that's obviously not like a historical example.

I also found a historical map that I think is more about trade routes, but I can barely make anything out on it.

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b52503220z/f1.item

Item Getter posted:

The Romans almost had an emperor from North Africa named Ceasarion.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Romans almost had an emperor from North Africa named Ceasarion.

Sadly, that section was cut out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How do these road networks compare to medieval Europe, or to other regions?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Item Getter posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarea_in_Mauretania

Caesarea, previously known as iol with a capital i.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 10, 2021

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Count Roland posted:

How do these road networks compare to medieval Europe, or to other regions?

Most road networks within those parts of Europe that were within the Roman Empire remained effectively similar to their Roman foundations until the early Modern period. It's hard to overstate how significant Roman infrastructure was in defining European overland transportation prior to the Renaissance.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Since it came up, my current mapping projects are the territorial evolution of the UK (good jesus what have I done) and the USSR. I'm about 90% done with the USSR so I'm focusing on that; however, that last 10% is a pickle. Any idea where I could go online to find people familiar with Soviet law and their internal borders? I've considered some subreddits but I haven't hit the button yet. Any possibility there's a thread here somewhere?

If you care, my work in progress (filled with a bunch of notes and inside baseball) is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Golbez/sandbox/USSR

(and for a true glimpse of insanity, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Golbez/sandbox/UK)

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
e: never mind

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lol.i get it now

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Orange Devil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarea_in_Mauretania

Caesaria, previously known as iol with a capital i.

:argh: sans-serif fonts!!!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Imao Caesarea

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Muscle Tracer posted:

:argh: sans-serif fonts!!!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

checks out, semicolons don't usually have serifs

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

So is that an island with NO reef, or with a Catholic reef?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New Balkanization just dropped.

(It’s floristic provinces.)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

New Balkanization just dropped.

(It’s floristic provinces.)

There's that ancient shoreline again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So if you go to Kansas and poo poo on a libertarian's plants is that breaking the NAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
ATL is not ATL, but is near to it. An antitautological map.