Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

The real explanation for any perceived sexlessness in the movies is that Marvel heroes are not James Bond, who can always take 20 minutes out from foiling the villain to shag the nearest woman. They're busy, you know?

By this point, Kevin Feige has to have claimed that at least one MCU movie was based on James Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still think what's most on the money is that once you throw out the old romantic subplot and romcom cliches (which you would have plenty of reason to) a lot of writers just have no idea how to write romance. They already have no idea how to write a stable married couple. Without those crutches, they just give up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Xealot posted:

Given that all the Netflix Marvel poo poo is essentially abandonware, I wonder how long it'll be until they just write alternate MCU versions of the same characters without commenting on it.

Shang-Chi already overlapped the same ideas Iron Fist touched on (poorly.) Shang already has the bohemian slacker / secret kung fu master dichotomy Danny Rand had at the center of his character. They already introduced the magical wuxia fantasy kingdom aspect with Ta Lo (which is basically K'un L'un.) They already introduced a mythical dragon protector who resides there, which is a huge part of the origin of the Iron Fist, and now Shang has magic golden-arm powers via the Ten Rings.

Introducing the actual Iron Fist seems like a lateral move, after this movie. To the point they should probably just abandon the comic canon entirely. Make Shang-Chi the Iron Fist, maybe make Xialing the Steel Serpent, re-purpose Orson Randall or Crane Mother or other characters from that mythology to serve these characters. Swerve left, because the Netflix show tainted the hell out of Danny Rand. I'm good leaving him on ice for a while.

anything that removes Finn Jones from the equation is a good thing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like the romances in the DC movies.

Except whatever the gently caress happened in the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Sean and Katie has enough growing intimacy, support, and closeness, and going through stuff in the movie that you wouldn't really need to add anything extra to justify them explicitly being a couple at the end if you wanted, instead of going arm in arm, going holding hands or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jedit posted:

Still, I'm laughing my rear end off at the people saying that Tony Stark became sexless after the Disney takeover. I wonder where they think Morgan came from?

Lol at misconstruing sexless in such a goony way.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think Sean and Katie has enough growing intimacy, support, and closeness, and going through stuff in the movie that you wouldn't really need to add anything extra to justify them explicitly being a couple at the end if you wanted, instead of going arm in arm, going holding hands or something.

It really feels like Rey and Finn all over again. If they wanted the relationship to be explicitly platonic, don't have Katy ogle Shang-Chi's sexy rear end body or have the grandma ask Shang-Chi why he and Katy haven't gotten married yet. Also don't write dialogue that can easily be read as a metaphor for Katy being in denial about her feelings for Shang. There's just too much of that crap put in the story with no meaningful resolution other than "its cool, they're just friends!" which is pretty much what happened with Rey and Finn—dude was on the verge of confessing his love to Rey in TROS but Disney are cowards so... lmao.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Honestly, it's probably because Disney has some kind of metric showing how when you go to the movies with your parents, the last thing you want to watch is a few minutes of the main characters getting down.

Ugh. You have a world to save, you two.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Christ, they did Finn so dirty.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Don't know what you're talking about, there are only eight movies in the Skywalker Saga.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

hiddenriverninja posted:

Don't know what you're talking about, there are only eight movies in the Skywalker Saga.

Even the one that was good critically misunderstood Finn and his role, imo. :(

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

MJeff posted:

Christ, they did Finn so dirty.

They had no idea what to do with his character by the end of TROS he was on his like 3rd girlfriend lol.

Speaking of girlfriends for superheroes I guess Natalie Portman will be back?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Natalie Portman gets her breath taken away by Thor's shirtless, shredded torso and they eventually end up kissing btw. Also, Peggy Carter couldn't resist touching Cap's glistening man tiddy when he got swole—they also end up kissing. Weird. Phase 1 MCU pre-Avengers was pretty horny.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 8, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do feel like Phase 1 got a lot of interest from women what with the superhero genre being a great excuse to cast the sexiest, most charismatic men you can find and put them in tight outfits and show off their physiques.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

That's why Thor 1 was best Thor

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh yeah, and in The Incredible Hulk, Betty and Bruce having sex is interrupted with a decent gag about his heart rate lmao. MCU films pre-Avengers/pre-Disney Marvel buyout were pretty good about effectively integrating romance and sex appeal into the stories.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

teagone posted:

or have the grandma ask Shang-Chi why he and Katy haven't gotten married yet.

That's just generic conservative parent stock dialogue.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, and in The Incredible Hulk, Betty and Bruce having sex is interrupted with a decent gag about his heart rate lmao. MCU films pre-Avengers/pre-Disney Marvel buyout were pretty good about effectively integrating romance and sex appeal into the stories.

Right, so the intention of the criticism isn’t to destroy platonic friendships, but to question why an entire dimension of being has been purged from a franchise built on attractive leads with honed physiques. The evidence that this is just a result of ruthlessly efficient storytelling appears to be the positing of itself. So, along with the implication that people who thinks this is strange are perverts, there remains that Toy Story seems positively sensual in comparison.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

I guess Katy's revelation that Shang has a super hot body is also generic conservative...platonic...friendship....character.......development?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MiddleOne posted:

Gonna have to agree with this. Grandma was just being a grandma.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

teagone posted:

I guess Katy's revelation that Shang has a super hot body is also generic conservative...platonic...friendship....character.......development?

Finally confirmation that Ant-Man is gay/bisexual and wants to do the gently caress on Captain America. I knew it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kazil posted:

Gonna have to agree with this. Grandma was just being a grandma.

That's not the point though. It's not out of character for the grandma to say something like that, sure. Though, imo, it's hard to argue against the idea that including such a specific line of dialogue can also serve to bolster a developing relationship arc between two of the lead characters when the one being asked the question sheepishly replies "we're just friends." The movie is sorta influencing you to root for them to be together in a way, but backs out of the prospect because why?

MiddleOne posted:

Finally confirmation that Ant-Man is gay/bisexual and wants to do the gently caress on Captain America. I knew it.

Nothing wrong with a man being comfortable with their own sexuality to where they can appreciate another man's well formed rear end. Part of Ant-Man's character is also him being infatuated with Cap, so...

[edit] grammar because typing is hard.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 8, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

An rear end you can bounce a bicentennial off of

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

teagone posted:

That was a major plot hole that ruined the immersion for me.

She's known him for 10 years and never realized he was shredded until that day?

I know you need some suspension of disbelief for any movie, but do they really expect us to buy that?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You could read it as Katy being confused why her friend has no shirt on in his impending prize fight. Both her and Sheng are like, why is he shirtless? Does he have to be shirtless?

I think it's us, the viewer who get thirsty.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I mean we all watched Kim's Convenience for 5 years and never realized he was shredded until Shang Chi

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The United States posted:

I mean we all watched Kim's Convenience for 5 years and never realized he was shredded until Shang Chi

I can buy a 1,000 year old man, kaiju, and soulsucking demons, but no way did anyone go a decade without trying to peep those abs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

You could read it as Katy being confused why her friend has no shirt on in his impending prize fight. Both her and Sheng are like, why is he shirtless? Does he have to be shirtless?

I think it's us, the viewer who get thirsty.

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

I choose to read it as Katy deflecting because she's dazed at how hot af Shang is. Her facial expression is hard to read any other way tbh...and how could it?! Dude's bod was pretty bangin' won't lie. Very well sculpted.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Uh, if you watched Kim's Convenience and didn't know he was shredded did you really watch Kim's Convenience?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know you need some suspension of disbelief for any movie, but do they really expect us to buy that?

There's a difference between knowing it and fully witnessing it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a difference between knowing it and fully witnessing it.

~10 years of drunken karaoke nights surely led to some situation where Shang had to get his shirt off at some point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MJeff posted:

I like the romances in the DC movies.

Except whatever the gently caress happened in the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad.

There's clearly a deleted scene where Robbie and smith bang in a stairway and they play their characters afterwards smiling about it and it's weird as hell that it's missing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kazil posted:

Uh, if you watched Kim's Convenience and didn't know he was shredded did you really watch Kim's Convenience?
Not that shredded, no

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Superhero movies are marketed to a wide range of audiences including children and manchildren so it's better to to not include too much sex or too much violence, just in case. They want moms and dads to be able to take their kids to these movies as well as attracting the 36 year old grognard herds with collections of funko pops

The violence is incredibly neutered as is the sex

The violence isn't neutered so much as its presented as consequence free and clean. There's no collateral damage, no one screams in pain. Foes, usually non human in some way, are unambiguously bad, frequently non sentient and drop without a noise. These doesn't stop the films having prodigious body counts. I'd say sanitised more than neutered.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

mastershakeman posted:

There's clearly a deleted scene where Robbie and smith bang in a stairway and they play their characters afterwards smiling about it and it's weird as hell that it's missing

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Not that shredded, no

Fair point, but is anyone that shredded outside of the MCU?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wasn’t part of all of the iron man plots that he sleeps with lots of women until settling on pepper?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, but like Peter Quill, Tony's sexuality is treated as a character flaw, and both characters stop being horny for anyone but their designated love interest once their arc in the movie is resolved. In the MCU, wanting to gently caress means there's something wrong with you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, but like Peter Quill, Tony's sexuality is treated as a character flaw, and both characters stop being horny for anyone but their designated love interest once their arc in the movie is resolved. In the MCU, wanting to gently caress means there's something wrong with you.

That is literally every single movie romance, though.

Finding "THE ONE" is the goal of 100% of movie romance plots..

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real heroes cheat on their spouses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A Superman movie where the conflict is just he has a one night stand with another superhero and feels very guilty and is trying to decide whether to hide this from Lois or confess it. The other superhero wants to continue the affair but doesn't want to hurt him or Lois. Superman has trouble sleeping.

There are no fights in the movie he just lifts heavy things sometimes. Lex Luthor is in it but he's just being a villain causing a house crisis legally by buying up apartments and lobbying the city council to let him make them airbnbs.