Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
2 other exploration changes for TFA for players who don't have return;

- You can use the "check supplies" action from the starting space in any location
- In The Boundary Beyond you don't shuffle any treachery cards into the exploration deck at the star of the scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The new FAQ clarify something about research… You have to take the upgrade directly from your deck, even if someone else translated it it’s OK, but you can’t pick it like it with another level up card. Maybe that was already clear and I just had it wrong.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Golden Bee posted:

The new FAQ clarify something about research… You have to take the upgrade directly from your deck, even if someone else translated it it’s OK, but you can’t pick it like it with another level up card. Maybe that was already clear and I just had it wrong.

I think that's how it already worked, but your post isn't completely clear what you're asking...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yep, I had always gotten it wrong.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Dear Arkham Horror LCG: gently caress you, gently caress Beyond the Veil, gently caress all the mill mechanics in Where Doom Awaits that both accelerate Veil and kill all your sanity soak cards so players with low willpower are miserable, and gently caress you for killing our last investigator with a Rotting Remains when she only needed to pull 1 more clue.

There's no way my play group will ever touch this scenario again after four consecutive failures so we just replayed the last couple turns with a rules mistake corrected ("pretend we knew that eliminated investigators drop their clues instead of taking them into limbo") and called it a win.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I just replayed through all of Dunwich this week, two-handed, with Roland and Finn, and honestly, yeah, Dunwich is pretty terrible. You're always one Rotting Remains away from failure, and the Sorcery set is just awful design space--test 5 willpower and mill if you fail, and if your deck runs out, you're dead.

Anyway if you're curious:
Roland start and end (he survived the final scenario).
Finn start and end (he did not survive the final scenario).

You can click "view next deck"/"view previous deck" under the Progress section for each deck if you want to look at individual upgrades for each scenario. I kind of gave up on trying to do anything about Willpower tests and just focused on getting clues as quickly as possible. Undimensioned and Unseen sucked, everything else was pretty doable. It was still kind of a slog and I don't think I'll do Dunwich again for a good while.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The first time I introduced my girlfriend to Arkham she drew two rotting remains in a row, lost 6 sanity in two rounds, and was defeated. We play marvel champions now and Arkham is reserved for those who didn't have an awful first experience.

I'm playing Dark Horse Silas with a Mariners Compass and Fire Axe through Insmouth right now and have been doing amazing at everything but will checks.

Nimble + track shoes is my current favorite combo, it has been especially good in the first scenario.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ursula/Silas was fun there. Cornered can make massive things happen in Silas.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Dunwich does rely on you having either high willpower to resist those tests and/or lots of soak that lets you tank the 10 damage. Agnes is fantastic as she has 5 willpower and access to Quantum Flux which lets you restock your deck. Leo and Ashcan are both good for similar reasons. Mark is good multiplayer too for just being able to take Beyond the Veil on the chin.

My bigger problem with Dunwich is that the enemies are so loving beefy, if you don't have a ton of damage acceleration you can end up in real trouble (especially solo).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

https://imgur.com/gallery/og5CKfL Better artwork for some of the cards!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

One other bit of info :

The lead dev clarified that the 'non-Elite' part only applies to the movement here (it can do the +2 damage to Elites) and it'll be included in the next FAQ.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 7, 2021

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Text in parentheses is still strange to me because on Magic and most games, it's reminder text. Words that have no rules meaning, just meant to either explain a new keyword without having to consult a rulebook, or to clarify something that might otherwise confuse players because the card creates an uncommon rules interaction. Arkham Horror might be the only game I've seen where it's used for bonus effects.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kalko posted:

One other bit of info :

The lead dev clarified that the 'non-Elite' part only applies to the movement here (it can do the +2 damage to Elites) and it'll be included in the next FAQ.

That is a really good clarification, and a very real buff on how the card was printed/interpreted.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, it has a few quirks but most of the time AH's templating is fine. It's definitely not on MTG's level, which to be fair is the gold standard across the industry, but then I think MTG is the only card game that has separate development and design teams.

edit : Her exact words were "The non-elite clause is meant to only apply to the movement effect, and is meant to apply to both versions of the movement effect, and not the damage. Or, put another way, the parenthetical effect just adjusts the previous sentence."

I'd have to check other examples to know if that's consistently how the game uses parenthetical text, but either way, as LifeLynx mentioned I think it's a unique way of using it.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 7, 2021

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I feel like I am missing something: why do people seem to love Path to Carcosa so much?

For months, I've been seeing polls and posts online *raving* about it as the best campaign hands-down while playing through the other campaigns (except Innsmouth).

After months of looking for the packs, my friend and I are on the last scenario as Lola and Yorick, and... I don't get it:

The narrative virtually evaporates in the 2nd half. I have no idea what we are trying to accomplish or why, beyond generically saving the world. Some of the later setting changes and events have been so jarring that I kept checking if we had skipped a scenario or paragraph of background by mistake.

The campaign mechanics are not bad, but feel like prototypes for deeper, more-involved versions in TFA and TCU.

I will say that the scenarios are mechanically good and it's the only campaign without any I've disliked. But none of them have been particular favorites either.

Am I just underwhelmed because we played the other campaigns first? Does it thrive with different choices/investigators/player counts?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Story wise, I felt it really shined when you view it through the lens of a unreliable narrator .

The short stories the campaign is based on uses this device a lot, and it makes sense here.

For instance At the party, did the guests really turn into monsters or are you a mass murderer? Do you actually belong in the insane asylum? Did your investigators murder a bunch of doctors and workers, stage a riot and escape instead of there being real monsters there? Did you go to the island church, kill a bunch of priests, and jump in the water based on a random painting you saw? Or is everything exactly how it is depicted?

This is the doubt/conviction mechanism. You either doubt your thoughts are real and think you might be insane, or you know that the big H-man is doing something bad and you need to jump through a portal to stop him.

This is why the story gets praise, IMO. The actual story is open-ended, so much so that even the cards can be interpreted as being simple everyday things instead of monsters, spires and cultists.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah the replay is what’s amazing considering there are three different paths. I had one moment in scenario five I think where I was just gobsmacked that I could even meet a certain character!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah the replay is what’s amazing considering there are three different paths. I had one moment in scenario five I think where I was just gobsmacked that I could even meet a certain character!

Who are you referring to?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

Story wise, I felt it really shined when you view it through the lens of a unreliable narrator .

I'm kind of embarrassed that this perspective did not occur to me, and it does make the story and its fuzziness a lot more interesting. Thank you for pointing this out.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure whom this is either?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Rusty Kettle posted:

The Director invites you for tea in one path. Maybe not part 5.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm going to guess it's (Path to Carcosa scenario resolution spoilers) Nigel Engram, the director of the King in Yellow. In one of the resolutions for A Phantom of Truth, he's disappeared and his home is abandoned, but (another scenario resolution spoiler follows) in another resolution you get to meet him (maybe?) and glean some information. Then maybe(?) he's hanged himself and has been dead the whole time you've been talking to him.

The theme of an unreliable narrator permeates the whole campaign quite nicely.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Avasculous posted:

I'm kind of embarrassed that this perspective did not occur to me, and it does make the story and its fuzziness a lot more interesting. Thank you for pointing this out.

As you may have guessed, the doubt/conviction is used to push the story in the direction the players are leaning towards. If players doubt what they see is real, and choose options about trying to uncover what is really going on, they get more unreliable narrator stuff. If players are convicted that what they see is real, then they get the more straightforward plot. Given you played this campaign after a bunch of other ones, and Lovecraftian nightmares are a dime a dozen to you, you probably got defaulted to the conviction path.

I think most people who play the campaigns in order end up going down the doubt path, which makes the story more unique among the other campaigns. It also makes the mission with the Organist more memorable, because instead of it being a mission of trying to catch a guy before the time limit runs out (like every interaction with the Man in the Pallid Mask), it becomes a mission of trying to survive an unstoppable hunting foe while the night is getting longer and longer.

:edit

The second act of the first mission may also have impacted the road you went down. You get that randomly assigned act which determines what supernatural force the spreading horror tokens are supposed to represent, only one outcome is it's just a fire. Having flood water chase you over the theatre balcony, or Ghostbusters II ooze seeping out of the walls makes you question what on earth is going on. Having the building catch fire makes me think the Man in the Pallid Mask is a careless smoker. I think that's why Return to Carcosa gave you three more potential acts, so it diluted the chance of getting the fire act.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 9, 2021

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I see both doubt and conviction paths as coming to the same conclusion:

-Doubt: we don't think this is real but we have to know the answers
-Conviction: we think this is definitely real and we need to get to the bottom of it

... but was it real?

Doubt and conviction are just two different kinds of "crazy" in a Lovecraft/Chambers story.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Maybe the only sane move is not to murder anyone (if that is indeed what you are doing), and the only way to do that is not to play?

Which begs the question when you should stop? Have you already gone off the rails in the first scenario? Is it the second if you kill dinner-goers? But then what if you don't kill anyone and just talk to people?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean, you could bring eight sets of handcuffs and lock down the majority of the encounter deck. It would be a very weird way to play but it’s possible. With a new card from edge of the earth, Yorick could lock down an additional two enemies, which I think is everybody besides the bosses in every scenario.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My Amazon order of Return to The Circle Undone is arriving today! A few weeks earlier than I expected. I'm bringing Diana this time, and I'm thinking about running Luke also. I play two-handed, so Diana will be mostly combat and Luke will be grabbing clues test-less using his pocket dimension tricks. There aren't too many cards that overlap even though they're both mystics.

Ubik_Lives posted:

The second act of the first mission may also have impacted the road you went down. You get that randomly assigned act which determines what supernatural force the spreading horror tokens are supposed to represent, only one outcome is it's just a fire. Having flood water chase you over the theatre balcony, or Ghostbusters II ooze seeping out of the walls makes you question what on earth is going on. Having the building catch fire makes me think the Man in the Pallid Mask is a careless smoker. I think that's why Return to Carcosa gave you three more potential acts, so it diluted the chance of getting the fire act.

About the second part of the first scenario in Carcosa, I got the fire all four times I played. I didn't look at the back of any others, I just assumed it was always that, but changed which symbol it added to the bag. I'll have to look at them again to see if I just got a strange luck of the draw... or maybe you're thinking of the Return to sets?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Nah you just hit a 6.25% chance.

The other two are a lot weirder than a fire.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Are you really a murderer if you kill a bunch of people at the cast party? At the end of that scenario, there's an interlude where you're given the option to go back inside, and if you do you find everyone alive and partying as if nothing happened. Of course, maybe you become a murderer if you choose the option to burn the house down, instead. . .

I don't think any of the scenarios in that campaign involve you actually killing anything for real, except for the aforementioned potential arson.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I'll have to look at them again to see if I just got a strange luck of the draw... or maybe you're thinking of the Return to sets?

The base game has
fire, flood, a growing ooze

Return To has
constant shrieking, plant growth, wind vortex

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Regarding Carcosa:
In the last two scenarios, I read the story as killing yourself by throwing yourself into the ocean, or off a big tower depending on random setup. Then the last scenario is your brain turning off as you drown or your wounded body lays on the rocks below the tower.

The result if the last scenario determines if you survived, or was committed, or maybe it was all a dream?!?!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My "Oh poo poo" moment in Carcosa was finding your cell in the asylum and realizing you were a patient and not just a visitor. Maybe the staff were cultists trying to trick you but why would you remember your room?

The dream sequence was also fun because of course I read the wrong entry.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Ubik_Lives posted:

As you may have guessed, the doubt/conviction is used to push the story in the direction the players are leaning towards. If players doubt what they see is real, and choose options about trying to uncover what is really going on, they get more unreliable narrator stuff. If players are convicted that what they see is real, then they get the more straightforward plot. Given you played this campaign after a bunch of other ones, and Lovecraftian nightmares are a dime a dozen to you, you probably got defaulted to the conviction path.

I was telling my friend about this and she had the same theory.

In retrospect, "we need to escape this asylum that we totally entered voluntarily after burning down a house full of monsters because the asylum staff is also evil monsters!" should have raised some red flags, but after 5 other campaigns, we took it in stride.

You're right that we were on the conviction path and I think we also missed most of the clearer signposts for unreliable narrator mentioned in this thread. We didn't find our own asylum cells or see "actually, everyone is alive." I think we also only questioned 1/5 partygoers, which seemed to skip a lot of exposition.

I definitely see better now why it stands out for people and am looking forward to playing Return To.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’m about to reorganize my player cards in to binders after procrastinating for over a year and not adding in Dream Eaters + Inns + investigator decks

Wish me luck.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

I’m about to reorganize my player cards in to binders after procrastinating for over a year and not adding in Dream Eaters + Inns + investigator decks

Wish me luck.

Godspeed.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Somebody a few pages back mentioned organizing their player cards by release order and I was incredibly ashamed to have not thought of that myself...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Feels like a pain when you have “return to” coming years after the original!

Got a chance to try out Norman and Lily. The completely bifurcated deck building is tricky! And restoring your disciplines can be really hard, especially if it requires no skill checks for a turn and your ally keeps drawing enemies.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Stickman posted:

Somebody a few pages back mentioned organizing their player cards by release order and I was incredibly ashamed to have not thought of that myself...

This was me, and I am tempted to redo it by 0xp and 1xp+ but eh.

I think I’ll abuse my work’s color laserjet to print a bunch of placeholder cards for the binders.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My "organization" of having color-coded Dex Protection doublesided deck boxes with one side having all the L0 cards and the right side L1-5 is going to run out very soon. It's just enough to hold every player card in each class from a collection that includes: two cores, all five starter decks, and every big box and mythos pack except the individual Innsmouth mythos packs.

They really don't want you replaying the prologue in Return to TCU, huh? It makes you swap out encounter sets, which sounds like a good way to spark interest in replaying it at least one more time, but then the investigator setup mentions cards that no longer exist in the gathered encounter sets. Then there's a new location added, but it's completely inaccessible. If anyone's interested, the lead developer, MJ, said her intent was that the Wine Cellar was connected to the Victorian Halls. There's a few more important questions where that came from. I think I'll just do the tarot card reading.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I somehow managed to find a local game store that has barkham horror at MSRP. Are there any plans to reprint it ever. I am absurdly hyped to play this stupid module

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I have a binder for each class with cards split between level 0 and level 1+ and a further breakdown of assets/events/skills.