Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Linguica posted:

The increasing re-canonization and beatification of Doom 64 in recent years has been weird to me when for two decades it was just an odd side entry. I can only assume it's due to the Nintendo-kid glow? I know Hugo Martin has cited it as the only Doom that mattered to him as a kid, and I guess that same situation must be driving a lot of nostalgia.
I think a lot of it is emulators and PC remakes allowing people to play it while actually being able to see a goddamn thing, combined with people not caring so much about the lack of multiplayer (which was a definite minus point back in the day what with Goldeneye releasing around the same time).

site posted:

doesn't one of the build source ports actually let you play duke 64?
Yes. RedNukem, a accurate Duke3D/Redneck Rampage port, also supports Duke 64. Just throw the ROM in the same directory and enjoy. As an added bonus, if you have the PC version installed somewhere it can see, it'll pull the appropriate music from that to make up for the N64 game's lack of in-level music.

Rea posted:

Anyone know how to get KexQuake's higher-quality audio in Quakespasm? Been playing AD, and I'd like to use the better sound effects if possible.
You'd basically have to use SLADE3 (or some other dedicated Quake PAK tool from aeons past) to copy the sounds folder from rerelease/id1/pak0.pak into its own pak file and place that in your quakespasm install's id1 folder. Bit fiddly.

Alternatively, Quakespasm, Quakespasm Spiked and vkQuake now just outright support the rerelease's files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

Duke Nukem 64 must be the weirdest in my eyes, as it's so different from the other versions. I wonder if that'll ever get an official rerelease now Raze is a thing?
yeah the mega drive port is wild

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

90s Cringe Rock posted:

yeah the mega drive port is wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZrNceC_FKc

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Infinite Warfare was the last good COD campaign imo. Cold War had some cool things but its mostly towards the end and the campaign is barely three hours.

The original Black Ops did gives us this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWmKgsUR6Q

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone know how to get controller working on the PC Remastered/Steam releases of Doom? I can push a button to skip the menu and then nothing happens on the controller. I’ll probably just reinstall.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Do people still play WolfET? I remember hopping on once and only seeing bots. Had fond memories of playing on this one server owned by a guy named "Testicul" that had custom sounds and at the time I thought it was funny spamming Cornholio soundbites

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
https://www.etlegacy.com/

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
MoH: Airborne is an underappreciated little gem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

MoH: Airborne is an underappreciated little gem.

Was it good on PC? It was janky as gently caress on console

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the last MoH game I played fully was Pacific Assault and I remember even then, the gloss had gone from the series in a post-COD world

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Airborne is good for a level or two and then the quality and respect for the paradrop gimmick drops off a cliff

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah the ending mission is plagued with sponge enemies inside the big rear end fortress. But the first two missions are drat great in MoH:Airborne.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Kins posted:

You'd basically have to use SLADE3 (or some other dedicated Quake PAK tool from aeons past) to copy the sounds folder from rerelease/id1/pak0.pak into its own pak file and place that in your quakespasm install's id1 folder. Bit fiddly.

Alternatively, Quakespasm, Quakespasm Spiked and vkQuake now just outright support the rerelease's files.

I tried that, dropping the sound folder in an extra pak named PAK2.PAK, but Quakespasm doesn't appear to load the sounds properly.

I also tried just loading the KexQuake id1, but the text is broken in that case—it just displays the localization tokens. I'm using the most recent version of Quakespasm Spiked, so I don't know what's going on here.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rea posted:

I also tried just loading the KexQuake id1, but the text is broken in that case—it just displays the localization tokens. I'm using the most recent version of Quakespasm Spiked, so I don't know what's going on here.
For the KexQuake versions of the PAKs, you typically also need to have QuakeEX.kpf in the same folder as the EXE since it has all the localization data.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1435801870212091908?s=20

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Kins posted:

For the KexQuake versions of the PAKs, you typically also need to have QuakeEX.kpf in the same folder as the EXE since it has all the localization data.

Well, that fixed the text issue, but for whatever reason I still get low-quality sound effects, even if I copy a clean KexQuake id1 to a new folder. Maybe another source port will work?

e: Nope, even Mark V still has low quality sound effects. The hell?

ee: Okay, figured it out. You have to set sndspeed to, I assume, 44100.

Rea fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rea posted:

Well, that fixed the text issue, but for whatever reason I still get low-quality sound effects, even if I copy a clean KexQuake id1 to a new folder. Maybe another source port will work?

e: Nope, even Mark V still has low quality sound effects. The hell?
Try punching "sndspeed 44100" into the console.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

playing "thy flesh consumed" for the first time ever.

it is... not good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

playing "thy flesh consumed" for the first time ever.

it is... not good

It’s a real mixed bag. E4M2 is an absolute classic and E4M1 and E4M6 are also great. E4M7 is also good if you’re into real classic poo poo. The rest is pretty skippable. (I have a soft spot for E4M3 personally.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am not enjoying E4M6 I have to say!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am not enjoying E4M6 I have to say!

Oh, the good maps are notable difficulty jumps from the rest of Doom 1, they were done much later as an expansion pack basically. E4M6 has you exposed to fire from every angle, outgunned and you have to rip your way to victory inch by inch. It’s the best kind of level, IMO.

If you haven’t figured it out yet, the central teleporter takes you to different places depending upon what side you enter it from.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arivia posted:

If you haven’t figured it out yet, the central teleporter takes you to different places depending upon what side you enter it from.

loving WHAT

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arivia posted:

Yep I figured this out ! Still doesn't feel like a great one to me though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I always liked E4M5

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Well if you think about it triggers in Doom are lines. A teleporter is a box made up of one line connected to itself that when you cross it teleports you somewhere else. But E4M6 has each side of the box be a different line, so you can have it be a different teleport destination depending upon which line you actually crossed over.

(This is my understanding but I’ve never actually made a map so I may be wrong.)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

There are people who like E4M1? I swear it's the worst map in all of Ultimate Doom.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Arivia posted:

Well if you think about it triggers in Doom are lines. A teleporter is a box made up of one line connected to itself that when you cross it teleports you somewhere else. But E4M6 has each side of the box be a different line, so you can have it be a different teleport destination depending upon which line you actually crossed over.

(This is my understanding but I’ve never actually made a map so I may be wrong.)

This is correct although the description in the second sentence isn’t quite right. Line definitions (linedefs) can have an action & tag associated with them. For the teleport action, the tag signifies which sector to warp to. In this case each side of the teleporter has a different tag, which is somewhat unusual. Linedefs also have a front & back and actions only trigger when you cross the front of the line. This is how you can teleport to the center of another teleporter pad and not get stuck.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

100 degrees Calcium posted:

There are people who like E4M1? I swear it's the worst map in all of Ultimate Doom.

What are you some kind of Slough of Despair liker?!?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

treat posted:

What are you some kind of Slough of Despair liker?!?

I spoke rashly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

YEAH I DO WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT HUH

e: slough of despair is good too, don't @ me

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

E4M1 is cool. More maps should have a “can you do this without pickups?” gimmick.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

E4M1 is cool. More maps should have a “can you do this without pickups?” gimmick.

I know it's because I'm bad at the game, but this is the map that made me get into pistol starts because I ended up at the start of E4M2 with less bullets than a regular pistol start would afford, and no shells.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I had no idea that Thy Flesh Consumed was made years after the original set, to be fair

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Honestly TFC is my favorite of the Doom episodes.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Get this, I like Episode 2.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Linguica posted:

The increasing re-canonization and beatification of Doom 64 in recent years has been weird to me when for two decades it was just an odd side entry. I can only assume it's due to the Nintendo-kid glow? I know Hugo Martin has cited it as the only Doom that mattered to him as a kid, and I guess that same situation must be driving a lot of nostalgia.

I don't think it gets more respect than it deserves because Nintendo nostalgia is elevating it.

I think it didn't initially get the respect it deserved because the Nintendo stigma kept a lot of the PC crowd from giving it the time of day, especially since Quake was the new hotness (and console players ignored it because Goldeneye).

With the platform wars of old mostly forgotten as people have grown up, and the "this feels like old tech" complaint a hell of a lot less relevant now that it's all old, the game's been rightfully recognized as a fine set of levels with a surprisingly effective new coat of paint. Which was helped along by the fact that there's always been a small but vocal group singing its praises, along with its eventual inclusion into the official canon and finally getting a re-release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sethsez posted:

I don't think it gets more respect than it deserves because Nintendo nostalgia is elevating it.

I think it didn't initially get the respect it deserved because the Nintendo stigma kept a lot of the PC crowd from giving it the time of day, especially since Quake was the new hotness (and console players ignored it because Goldeneye).

With the platform wars of old mostly forgotten as people have grown up, and the "this feels like old tech" complaint a hell of a lot less relevant now that it's all old, the game's been rightfully recognized as a fine set of levels with a surprisingly effective new coat of paint. Which was helped along by the fact that there's always been a small but vocal group singing its praises, along with its eventual inclusion into the official canon and finally getting a re-release.

well said

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never played Doom 64 on the 64. So I no nostalgia for it to speak of. It’s a cool and different experience and I appreciate that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

It also helps that out of all the official mapsets (maybe excluding Plutonia), Doom 64 is the only one to not have any maps that are utter dogshit. Doom, Doom 2 and TNT have some amazing high points (and it could be argued Doom 64 never reaches those), but the low points can be dire and Dom 64 never sinks to that level. You definitely never get the sense that Sandy Peterson is being held hostage without food until 60% of the game is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sethsez posted:

You definitely never get the sense that Sandy Peterson is being held hostage without food

:hmmyes: