Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

The thing is, I would love it if Impact succeeded now that it's officially ditched all the TNA stuff. They need a bigger budget and better bookers, but being a solid third choice for wrestlers in the US without looking like an indie hall with some LED boards would be good for everyone involved. They'd just have to get it the hell away from Leonard Asper, who has historically run every one of his family's business prospects into the ground.

Honestly, this is monkey's paw, but Sinclair 100% could do that with ROH if they actually wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Friend of mine is playing World Wide Wrestling RPG and has made a convict character who's a big power-move wrestler but with good workrate. Accordingly, he's looking for some especially fancy power moves and/or things that fit the convict theme. I'll need video examples for anything because he's not a wrestling guy at all. He's relying on me and a couple friends to clue him in.

For the convict theme, I've shown him several Electric Chair setup maneuvers including OWA, Croyt's Wrath, and the Electric Chair Facebuster, which imo is more appropriately a power-guy move than a finesse one like the others. I showed him the Lethal Injection even though he's probably not a flippy guy.

For just cool looking power moves I showed him the F5, Falling Crucifix Powerbomb, Delayed Vertical Suplex, the Spinebuster (especially since it has so many styles), End of Days, Deep Six, everything Matanza/Jeff Cobb does, Pumphandle Powerbomb, Military Press Slam.

What other flashy/complicated power moves am I missing? Does anyone do an Electric Chair Lungblower? That sounds horrifying. I tried to find that Total Bellas clip where Bryan Danielson shows Nikki Bella the ripcord forearm smash but can't find it. Open to other ideas.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Friend of mine is playing World Wide Wrestling RPG and has made a convict character who's a big power-move wrestler but with good workrate. Accordingly, he's looking for some especially fancy power moves and/or things that fit the convict theme. I'll need video examples for anything because he's not a wrestling guy at all. He's relying on me and a couple friends to clue him in.

For the convict theme, I've shown him several Electric Chair setup maneuvers including OWA, Croyt's Wrath, and the Electric Chair Facebuster, which imo is more appropriately a power-guy move than a finesse one like the others. I showed him the Lethal Injection even though he's probably not a flippy guy.

For just cool looking power moves I showed him the F5, Falling Crucifix Powerbomb, Delayed Vertical Suplex, the Spinebuster (especially since it has so many styles), End of Days, Deep Six, everything Matanza/Jeff Cobb does, Pumphandle Powerbomb, Military Press Slam.

What other flashy/complicated power moves am I missing? Does anyone do an Electric Chair Lungblower? That sounds horrifying. I tried to find that Total Bellas clip where Bryan Danielson shows Nikki Bella the ripcord forearm smash but can't find it. Open to other ideas.

Hangman's Clutch or Hangman's Neckbreker? Or a Gory Neckbreaker

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN2B3GIKoSA + head squeeze + the claw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zeus's Jackhammer (or Goldberg's) has always ruled

One in this video at 2:47 https://youtu.be/PAhYO5Hqwvw

My other favourite power guy move is The Pounce: https://youtu.be/8UQdGxoMgWQ

On a convict theme? Some sort of back suplex that involves restraining the arms, like a Tiger or Dragon Suplex? Or a straight jacket German?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nash's kneelifts were always so good, because his legs are so long that his knee wouldn't end up anywhere near his opponent

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I kinda tried to sell him on the idea that great big men do more with less, but he wants to be a giant with Movez. I'm cool with that, but it changes the search a bit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AilmQvekT-0&t=74s

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

alright then. standing hurricarana where his head and shoulders clip through the mat in order to perform the move

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I kinda tried to sell him on the idea that great big men do more with less, but he wants to be a giant with Movez. I'm cool with that, but it changes the search a bit.

cant go wrong with this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJwypve9YY

or just show him this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkRBlqGum9c

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Nash's kneelifts were always so good, because his legs are so long that his knee wouldn't end up anywhere near his opponent

And that would be fine because "thighlifts" would still probably hurt, but his legs were so skinny due to his injuries that it was usually either, a, his baggy pants hid both the skinniness and the impact, or, b, it just looked ridiculous.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Screwdriver and Jackhammer were big ones I absolutely missed. Also suggested the Samoa Joe Uranage and Muscle Buster.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I kinda tried to sell him on the idea that great big men do more with less, but he wants to be a giant with Movez.
When I was playing in e-feds in the 90s, we all wanted to play the Undertaker who could also do the Inverted Reverse Pineapple Upside Down Cake Death Driver that we'd just seen in some video from Japan.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was playing in e-feds in the 90s, we all wanted to play the Undertaker who could also do the Inverted Reverse Pineapple Upside Down Cake Death Driver that we'd just seen in some video from Japan.

Yeah, like if he were trying to build an actual wrestling career, I'd strongly encourage against all this, but for elfgames with wrestlers? Sure, do a Springboard German to the exposed concrete or whatever. It ain't your joints.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think the Argentine Backbreaker Rack could work for an ex-convict power wrestler gimmick. (see Manabu Nakanishi)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I mean, Nakanishi's Prison Lock is RIGHT THERE. It also leaves the hands free to eat a pizza or a hotdog or both.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What if it wasn’t Kane?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What if it wasn’t Kane?

Do you mean like if he was called something other than Kane? Like "That's gotta be Tim!"

Or do you mean if the character itself was never put together and introduced at the HIAC match?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean what if that was some other wrestler or fan or something and Vince just assumed?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If it's some dickhead rushing to the ring, there are countless examples of such ventures not ending well for the individual. Security and any talent that happened to be wandering around probably would have beaten the piss out of him.

If it's some other wrestler, surely the commentators would recognise them and be like "Is that Ahmed Johnson? Why's he wandering out here? Holy moley, he just ripped the door off the cell!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I mean what if that was some other wrestler or fan or something and Vince just assumed?

Along the same lines, what if Droz wasn't going to puuuuuke?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it had to be kane though. like if you were watching that you wouldn't be able to think anything besides that's gotta be kane. so how could it not be. ah gently caress. ah poo poo. what if it was somebody else?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

Along the same lines, what if Droz wasn't going to puuuuuke?
He'd still be walking

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

How long has Adam Cole been doing the ”ADAM COLE BAY BAY” thing? Pre-WWE?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

Years, I believe it started after he and O'Reilly split on the indies, he definitely did it in PWG

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

a cyborg mug posted:

Don't tell me you never had to endure his ear piercing NJPW theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WVJCQby2QI

(iirc this was Kenny's idea to make sure the chant got over with the Japanese fans)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

(iirc this was Kenny's idea to make sure the chant got over with the Japanese fans)

this was his best theme

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Jesus

And nope, when I started watching NJPW he was already in NXT.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this was his best theme

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My cousin got thrown out of an ROH taping because he kept shouting that while he was drunk. I've always wondered if any of his shouting made it to broadcast.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Does any company do pro wrestling with MMA/Boxing style timed rounds with breaks between them? Or with judges and scoring (but kayfabe)?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Kennel posted:

Does any company do pro wrestling with MMA/Boxing style timed rounds with breaks between them? Or with judges and scoring (but kayfabe)?

England used to. When TNA debuted Impact on FSN they had time limits each match and kayfabe judging.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A local indie I went to when I was at university used to (maybe still does) have a gimmick belt that was defended using the old British round rules. I had to explain it to a mum and her kid at a show once cuz they were very confused.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Didn’t ROH do something like that recently?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

smikey posted:

England used to. When TNA debuted Impact on FSN they had time limits each match and kayfabe judging.

The AWF did rounds for its brief, brief existence.

You'd see it occasionally in cities in the 1920s and 1930s and Jim Londos talked it up a good bit. Somewhere, I want to say in the Pacific Northwest, was doing rounds up until the early 1950s.

Flair-Sting at the 1988 Clash and Flair-Steamboat in Nashville had judges, if needed. The Flair-Funk feud started as Funk was one of the judges at the Steamboat match. Didn't the 1994 "Marquess of Queensbury" series between Flair and Regal on Worldwide also have judges?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AEW did the judges gimmick even. They flew Mutoh over for it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

AEW did the judges gimmick even. They flew Mutoh over for it.

bushi you'd be the expert on this. how much of a brother is mutoh?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

a cyborg mug posted:

Didn’t ROH do something like that recently?

You're maybe thinking of the Pure title which is different but does have special rules

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Impact Grand Championship introduced in 2016 was contested with the following rules:

quote:

Three 3 minute rounds, with special event matches going 5 minutes per round.
10 point must system.
Judging categories: Physicality, aggressiveness, controlling the action.
Wins can happen anytime via pin or submission.
If there is no winner after three rounds, a winner is decided by judge's decision.

This belt was introduced in a tournament to replace the King of the Mountain Championship, which Lashley retired the week before after absorbing it into the Impact World Championship. The King of the Mountain Championship had been introduced a year before as a rebrand of the Television Championship, which was a rebranding of the TNA Global Championship, which was a rebranding of the Legends Championship, a belt that Booker T just showed up with one day and was unsanctioned until AJ Styles beat him for it.

ARON REX was the inaugural Grand Champion, beating Eddie Edwards by split decision. Rex successfully defend the belt against Jessie Godderz, Baron Dax, and Jessie Godderz again before losing the belt to Moose.

Moose beat Rex by KO to win the belt, beat Mike Bennett by split decision, and then lost it to Drew Galloway.

Galloway beat Moose in a rematch, defended against Ryzin and Mahabali Shera before losing it back to Moose in the same taping cycle because Drew had signed with WWE.

Moose's second reign included defenses against big names including Cody, Marufuji, Davey Richards, Eli Drake, Joe Hendry, Randy Reigns, Zack Monstar, EC Negro, TJ Marconi, and Sammy Smooth before losing to EC3.

EC3 defended it a few times before dropping it to Matt Sydal because EC3 had signed with WWE.

Matt Sydal 'gifted' the belt to Josh Mathews, but then wrestled on Josh's behalf most of the time so I'm not sure what was going on there. Sydal lost it to Austin Aries in a title vs. title match that did not adhere to the Grand Championship rules, and retired the belt.

Some say the belt may one day return to create an unbroken lineage of champions, from Booker T to Austin Aries to beyond!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

If I'm attending an episode of Dynamite, how late does the show go with all the Dark matches and the Rampage taping?