Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah but are we gonna get weirding guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Uhm those are weirding modules :crossarms:

What kind of a ridiculous setting do you think this is, guns? Pffft

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CHAW

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Jewmanji posted:

Biggest lego set ever- Paul’s giant palace in Messiah.

Jorodowsky wanted to have Baron Harkonnen live in a palace shaped like himself.

Similarly, Salvador Dali suggested the Emperor should sit on a toilet-throne made of intersecting dolphins with one dolphin mouth for urine and one for feces.

Those would both be awesome lego sets.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 8, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

No... ring?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The canvas is not a giant butthole, it's a sietch post water of life

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

YoursTruly posted:

Some burning palm trees would be nice.

The interior of a sietch with water storage and orgies.

Sting in underwear as a minifigure would be cool. Googling for Lego Sting Dune found something too unsettling to post.

How dare you withhold this from the thread

There are a bunch of people who have done Dune creations of their own but a lot of them are kinda aesthetically underwhelming.

This one's cool.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m the turd worm

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

MMMMORTY! I'M LEGO ST-<uuurp>-STING FROM DUNE, MORTY! THE SPICE MUST FLO<uuurp>OW!

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah but are we gonna get weirding guns

I loved your directing in the '83 film!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

cool short interview with Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZGJ3pGEuas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I guess the glow looks cooler but it's weird no adaptation has done the eyes "right". Guess it'd be a pain for the actors to wear the contact lenses.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Give me that dark blue in blue Denis you waterfat bitch.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
dark blue in blue is being held in pocket until the end of Dune II (spacer guild reveal) or paul in Dune Messiah

plans within plans

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nearly black eyes is way creepier than the glow but we're never gonna see it.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
There is fan art floating around of more book accurate blue within blue eyes but it would not translate well to film as it would just look like all black eyeballs like from a horror flick. The glowing has always been off-putting but maybe there is no way to add noticeable color to the sclera in post production without it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Why shouldn’t it look like a horror flick? The Fremen are horrible. Theyre sinister pant making GBS threads backcountry dwelling pushers who engage in kinky drug orgies. even their children are murderous fiends. The fact that our point of view ends up on their side shouldn’t blind us to this. The glowy blue eyes are too ensconced at this point though, despite their inappropriate look. If someone as into visual austerity and sterility as Villeneuve can’t give us Zendaya but with the eyes of the clonemasters from Star Wars, then who can?

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

priznat posted:

I’m the turd worm

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the turd knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it will flush because it's ended here.'

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

skasion posted:

Why shouldn’t it look like a horror flick? The Fremen are horrible. Theyre sinister pant making GBS threads backcountry dwelling pushers who engage in kinky drug orgies. even their children are murderous fiends. The fact that our point of view ends up on their side shouldn’t blind us to this. The glowy blue eyes are too ensconced at this point though, despite their inappropriate look. If someone as into visual austerity and sterility as Villeneuve can’t give us Zendaya but with the eyes of the clonemasters from Star Wars, then who can?

Hang on what’s horrible about drug orgies?

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

The fact that I don't get invited to them! :smith:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Jewmanji posted:

The smell.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

WarMECH posted:

There is fan art floating around of more book accurate blue within blue eyes but it would not translate well to film as it would just look like all black eyeballs like from a horror flick. The glowing has always been off-putting but maybe there is no way to add noticeable color to the sclera in post production without it.

Sure you could. This isn't like the 80s where you needed to rotoscope every frame by hand. AI can do most of the work, even, just set up some keyframes and let it interpolate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine that they ran various tests and people found the blue within blue either confusing or just really off-putting

Triggering everyone's these people are ill unease or something

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Piter especially is described as having these bottomless pits for eyes, and it's a shame we'll never get to see them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you know you're going Fremen when you stop smelling the poo and bo stench.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I imagine that they ran various tests and people found the blue within blue either confusing or just really off-putting

Triggering everyone's these people are ill unease or something

Yeah having black eyes would be really off-putting but I always thought that was the point. Glowing blue is more "that's cool I want that".

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Exactly it's not so much that it can't be done it's that it probably comes off too creepy and distracts from the story. Imagine scenes where the only exposed part of a Fremen is their eyes but they are pitch black so you can't even tell what the actors are emoting it would look goofy as hell. Give them a slightly blue tint in the sclera and you get the "idea" behind the Eyes of Ibad without making the movie worse for it.

I agree that if they show full 3rd stage guild navigators or something then they should have deep blue eyes almost black for the creep factor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah having black eyes would be really off-putting but I always thought that was the point. Glowing blue is more "that's cool I want that".

well the thing is that in a book, you can more easily be told how to feel about them from the perspective of the characters in that setting

In a movie it would be a much more visceral reaction from the audience. The movie would probably have to spend a lot of runtime to get you to relate to any character with those eyes and I'm not even sure it would be successful no matter how much they tried.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
All I hear is people threatening me with a good time. “But if we make the terrifying cult of space barbarians who overthrow civilization in the name of their overman-messiah look like it says in the book, they’ll be less relatable!” I bet yall don’t want to see them fit their suits desert fashion either

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

you know you're going Fremen when you stop smelling the poo and bo stench.

That guy from Dances With Wolves that eats the eggs: "you went poo and bo didn't cha? ....didn't cha?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I forgot that Edric isn't actually seen in the fist book and that scene is only in the movie and was sad I wouldn't get to see this film's take on a weird monster guy.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Just lol at the idea that the color of your eyes has anything to do with emoting and being able to relate to people.

skasion posted:

All I hear is people threatening me with a good time.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

I think he's angry but I just can't tell! If only his eyes were brown! Just lol

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Ror posted:

How dare you withhold this from the thread

I don't know why I find this so funny. I'm giggling just thinking about it

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Flakey posted:

Just lol at the idea that the color of your eyes has anything to do with emoting and being able to relate to people.

why am I not surprised to see this from a socially inept goon

Edit: just in case you were serious, the size of your pupils convey a lot of information and having everything be deep blue would, you know, get rid of all that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flakey posted:

We evolved the visible white part of our eyes for precisely this reason, you dingus

Being able to see where someone is looking is a large part of relating to them socially, at least visually

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Flakey posted:

I think he's angry but I just can't tell! If only his eyes were brown! Just lol

It's not the color of the iris you goofball it's that if your entire eye is a pitch black orb it makes you look like a monster from a Japanese horror movie and the ability for an actor to convey anything is severely limited. Sure it would look bad rear end and would be faithful to the book but in a movie it would look like a bunch of zombies shouting at each other every scene.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Ok "anything to do" was not the right phrasing I'll admit that, but it's not the sole thing you need to rely on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Why I always stare deep in someone's eyes when I speak to them? This is why anyone who wears glasses is a subhuman freak, if you put shades on the window to your soul you've got something dark to hide