Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Counterpoint: Turok 2 is timeless and I loved 100%ing the remaster and where the hell is 3 and Rage Wars Nightdive? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

and where the hell is 3 and Rage Wars Nightdive? :colbert:

This ^

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OgNar posted:

For anyone playing Encased, be sure to have like 15 points or so just ready to use if you come across a locked chest or something that needs more points.
Just like any Fallouty RPG really. Its come in handy for me a few times.
Though I havent seen a way to put points into say Strength yet after character creation.
Some things take force to get into making me kinda sad I went low Str.
There are items like Lockpicks for lockpicking or Floppies for hacking that give you X amount above your stats needed.
Also magazines for temp +stats like light weapons.

And this really is just Fallout mixed with Stalker.
Tells an interesting story.

Pretty enjoyable.

e: Speaking of, I just found some Power Armor

Yeah, I completed the prelude part of the game (as in, before you can freely travel in the overworld) and I am going to say this is one of the good ones so far. I am pleasantly surprised by how much it cribs from Stalker/Roadside Picnic.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Pretty sure one of the Turok devs is a goon and posted at somepoint that they lost the source code to Rage Wars :negative:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone know if the GOG Elite Force games are updated in any way?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

dr.acula posted:

Pretty sure one of the Turok devs is a goon and posted at somepoint that they lost the source code to Rage Wars :negative:

This is literally the worst news I've heard this decade.

V Alright its the second worst thing :saddumb:

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 9, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm still down on the guy that was trying to fix Saints Row 2 PC dying of cancer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gorn Myson posted:

I pirated ZHP years ago and didn't get far in it, but credit to the writers for calling their antagonist The Demon General Darkdeath Evilman.

drat, I didn't know George Lucas made videogames too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I completed the prelude part of the game (as in, before you can freely travel in the overworld) and I am going to say this is one of the good ones so far. I am pleasantly surprised by how much it cribs from Stalker/Roadside Picnic.

just on this too, liking it a lot though there's a decent amount of jank.

it's very 'how you remembered fallouts 1&2 being' rather than 'how they actually were'.

i see it's been 'released' - is it complete, or still lacking an ending?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
These Encased difficulty levels seem very generous. The Tactics difficulty seems like normal mode for every other game of this type.

I know game is new, but what seems to be the favored difficulty among those of you who have bought it so far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

it's very 'how you remembered fallouts 1&2 being' rather than 'how they actually were'.

Going back to play FO2 was so hard. The combat goes so sloooow especially if there’s neutral NPCs around

kater
Nov 16, 2010

yo wtf

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Someone's crafted a badge.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy poo poo! I love Makai Kingdom!

The HQ theme has been one of my eternal earworms ever since the PS2 era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hla6sAJ7lQs

Gorn Myson posted:

I pirated ZHP years ago and didn't get far in it, but credit to the writers for calling their antagonist The Demon General Darkdeath Evilman.

I might play ZHP in Japanese this time just to see the jokes and puns on that side.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

Counterpoint: Turok 2 is timeless and I loved 100%ing the remaster and where the hell is 3 and Rage Wars Nightdive? :colbert:

I don't get Night Dive's decision making here. Turok 3 is needed the most because it didn't have a PC version in the first place while 1 and 2 had. But they just decided to stop at 2?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Superanos posted:

I don't get Night Dive's decision making here. Turok 3 is needed the most because it didn't have a PC version in the first place while 1 and 2 had. But they just decided to stop at 2?

I don't think it was their decision, at least not entirely - they're likely beholden to the rights owners

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I cancelled my Humble Choice classic plan, end of an era.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

Humans are notoriously bad at understanding true randomness and will make up weird narratives like they're "due" for a big payout on the next pull because they failed the last 20 times in a row. This is why the house always wins and you think failing to hit a dude with 90% accuracy three times in a row should never happen. In an open system with many inputs, uncommon events happen all the time. In fact, they will happen an infinite number of times. I feel like my teenage years playing Diablo 2 and Phantasy Star Online conditioned me to embrace the inherent unfairness of the universe in a way that many people never properly develop.

Also see: Spotify's shuffle function is not truly random because people got upset that it wasn't random enough for their taste. What a bunch of pattern seeking low-lives...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Going back to play FO2 was so hard. The combat goes so sloooow especially if there’s neutral NPCs around
God help you if you get into a fight on the main street of Reno.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Superanos posted:

We didn't stop at 2. In fact you have stumbled upon the answer to your own question; We did Turok 1 & 2 first because they had PC ports to work off of. Turok3 and Rage Wars lack any PC port and thus require significantly more resources to get off the ground. Especially since we can't find the source code for them at this time, and thus would have to disassemble the MIPS code from the ROM.

If you have the source code to either of these games, we sure would be appreciative. :P

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 9, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mierenneuker posted:

Also see: Spotify's shuffle function is not truly random because people got upset that it wasn't random enough for their taste. What a bunch of pattern seeking low-lives...
I mean I would expect a music service random function to be "play a random song BUT DO NOT REPEAT until all songs have played/a reasonably large number of songs have played" because that's how the shuffle/random track function of car stereos worked for years.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

The United States posted:

I mean I would expect a music service random function to be "play a random song BUT DO NOT REPEAT until all songs have played/a reasonably large number of songs have played" because that's how the shuffle/random track function of car stereos worked for years.

Same. If some people can't handle it for some bizarre reason, then at least have both options available. It shouldn't be an insurmountable feat.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
That's not what he's talking about there though (as explained in the linked blog post). It's about not repeating the same artists when shuffling a playlist containing a bunch of artists, for example. Or, when shuffling an album, not allowing the first two songs to be played one after another.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OgNar posted:

e: Speaking of, I just found some Power Armor

The servo-shell, right?

Encased does seem quite enjoyable so far. The main thing dampening my enjoyment is that I'm carrying around so much junk that I'm afraid to get rid of, because I have no idea how useful it'll end up being, and I haven't seen any sort of persistent personal storage. I guess that's on me for being such a hoarder.

sebmojo posted:

If we're comparing it to more recent games (and this might be because I just played it), it strikes me as being quite similar to Wasteland 2, which of course makes sense.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you like Wasteland 2 in its current, relatively bug-free state, you'll probably like Encased as well. Conversely, if you couldn't stomach Wasteland 2 even after giving it a fair chance, then Encased isn't for you.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 9, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sebmojo posted:

i see it's been 'released' - is it complete, or still lacking an ending?

Yeah, I agree with this take. It is complete now, the EA version only had the first act, with the release including acts 2 and 3. They made a big deal on its marketing about multiple endings.

Phlegmish posted:

The servo-shell, right?

Encased does seem quite enjoyable so far. The main thing dampening my enjoyment is that I'm carrying around so much junk that I'm afraid to get rid of, because I have no idea how useful it'll end up being, and I haven't seen any sort of persistent personal storage. I guess that's on me for being such a hoarder.

If we're comparing it to more recent games (and this might be because I just played it), it strikes me as being quite similar to Wasteland 2, which of course makes sense.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you like Wasteland 2 in its current, relatively bug-free state, you'll probably like Encased as well. Conversely, if you couldn't stomach Wasteland 2 even after giving it a fair chance, then Encased isn't for you.

I've found a personal storage locker shortly after the game opens up, on the Roadside Picnic, which is where I am storing most of bullshit. You should also get a vehicle at some point, so presumably that should have some sort of trunk, I hope.

I am going to disagree with that final statement because I bounced off pretty hard on Wasteland 2, but I am enjoying Encased a lot thus far. The stealth, exploration and skill interactions all feel pretty better to me and I am enjoying the writing/setting more. Combat feels like the weakest part so far, but there doesn't seem to be too much of it, definitely feels closer to Fallout 1 & 2 than to the more modern games in its implementation, but maybe it gets more interesting when you get more skills and companions, we'll see.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Rocket Pan posted:

We didn't stop at 2. In fact you have stumbled upon the answer to your own question; We did Turok 1 & 2 first because they had PC ports to work off of. Turok3 and Rage Wars lack any PC port and thus require significantly more resources to get off the ground. Especially since we can't find the source code for them at this time, and thus would have to disassemble the MIPS code from the ROM.

If you have the source code to either of these games, we sure would be appreciative. :P

so you're saying there's a chance

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The United States posted:

It did that, but it was still possible to get multiple songs from the same artist/album in a row, which wasn't 'random enough' for people.
Their new randomizer spreads related songs out roughly evenly, which really is a lot less random, but more in line with what people expect.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 9, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Webbed is super neat but I am real bad at thinking like a spider

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
specifically was looking for impressions of that, as it just came out
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390350/Webbed/

suppose :10bux: is not much to try

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Trickyblackjack posted:

Speaking of Humble Choice actually being good, I finished Paradise Killer from a couple of bundles ago and thought it was fantastic. It's a ...VN with exploration...game in which you play detective investigation freak Lady Love Dies. As her, you are liberated from a 3 million-day exile to solve a mass murder, investigating immortals and demons, searching for clues or just artifacts that drip-feed really creative lore. It oozes a sort of surreal style that mixes a night club with a lot of mythology and blood-letting. It's really upbeat, but also pretty bleak. I got really strong vibes of "Invisibles" or "The Filth" Grant Morrison. Don't skip this one.

it's a good game and for gamer brain fuel addicts like myself you get an air dash and a double jump to whiz around with which is really fun.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
also the best thing about it is the things you gradually uncover about the society it takes place in. and what your role is in it. without patronising you with paragon / renegade style decisions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the one downside is that you can manipulate the trial really easily so that it will come to any conclusion to want. well, that and the random spot in the ground in the middle of nowhere you have to dig up to figure out what actually happened.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Hwurmp posted:

Webbed is super neat but I am real bad at thinking like a spider

the demo earlier this year was really neat and im looking forward to picking it up

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the one downside is that you can manipulate the trial really easily so that it will come to any conclusion to want. well, that and the random spot in the ground in the middle of nowhere you have to dig up to figure out what actually happened.

that's true but at the same time there's a very clear correct outcome for the game - you can start the trial at any time, but why would you, since replaying the game will be 99% the same so you might as well investigate everything. that gameplay premise didn't really work for me but the mystery and world of the game is extremely compelling so i didn't care.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Paradise Killer could certainly have used more and less disinterested-sounding voice clips for the main character

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Music shuffle is a very good example that when the average person says they want something randomized they usually mean they want it varied instead. When someone hits shuffle they don't want random sings played, or even a random playlist without replacement. They want a result akin to a curated top 100 station. A block of your source of songs varied to get something different every song.

Games should often think through randomization with the same critical eye as to what people are expecting. Diablo 3 post auction house throws equipment at you with suitable modifiers for your class and eventually gives you build defining legendaries on a pretty set pace. A player is still going to call them random drops.

Games going full tyranny of the dice become games about dealing with failure and failure is not something everyone wants from every game all the time. XCOM becomes about setting the field to be ready for the inevitable triple 90% failure with exceedingly safe positioning. Deck building games focus on what happens when you get your worst hand or what zingers you have to bail out getting hand screwed. ARPGs with random loot turn into economy games where your failure to get a class and build appropriate item turns into a matchmaking economy to trade your good incompatible drops for currency to get good compatible drops. The failing and working around is the point in all these examples but you need to be in the mood to fail.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they want shuffle, an explicitly not random feature that was always called "shuffle" and not random

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

stux is right no human being has ever used the shuffle function on a music player with the misapprehension it was the same thing as a mathematically defined random function what do we think people are stupid or something

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress, they're still making Postal games? I feel like I may have read about the 3 fiasco at some point but I just discovered 4, which has been in early access for 2 years. What a mess, but I guess thats to be expected. I could use some more senseless fun nonetheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Stux posted:

they want shuffle, an explicitly not random feature that was always called "shuffle" and not random

No.... no I just want my 6000 songs to actually get cycled through in no discernible order without any repeats.

Randomly shuffled if you would.