Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m not crazy about them either but wolves and werewolves are in a tier just below Angels and Dragons for crazy people wanting to make tribal decks for them.

I read on Maro’s blog the other day that they considered making the type line “were” and “wolf” so that wolf tribal stuff could apply to both but they thought it was too clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fadam posted:

I’m not crazy about them either but wolves and werewolves are in a tier just below Angels and Dragons for crazy people wanting to make tribal decks for them.

I read on Maro’s blog the other day that they considered making the type line “were” and “wolf” so that wolf tribal stuff could apply to both but they thought it was too clunky.
They should have just gone Human Wolf since "were" means man and all.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

!Klams posted:

Am I alone in thinking that werewolves are really boring?

Not specifically in innistrad, but in general. I think it's because they're generic like Zombies, they're 'once human but now other' like zombies, but they don't really have any social commentary beyond, 'man is an animal'. They all look the same, there's not really a great deal you can do with it. I think it's a shame, really, that they're tied down to 'wolves'. I think stuff like werebears, werefalcons, wererhinoes etc would be way more interesting. I mean I know this is the classic horror set and not the 'twist on classic horror' set, I get why. I just hate them hanging these sets on 'Dog. Large dog. Small dog. Angry dog. Big angry dog. Big angry dog that for some reason has projectile attacks. Small angry dog that can become massive under specific circumstances' etc etc, when you've got stuff like Thing in the Ice waiting in the wings.

Actually, I'm gonna walk that back a bunch, I think compared to the generic fodder you get in normal sets, Werewolves are fantastically evocative, I think it's just compared to all the other stuff they kind of pale. I always found the day / night mechanic overly fiddly and unengaging, I think this new one looks a LOT better because it's much more to do with 'night creatures vs day walkers' than 'werewolves in human or wolf form'.

I guess what I'm saying is the Vampire Wedding sounds like it's going to be loving incredible.

it's fun to imagine a normal person who turns into a bad rear end wolf, who runs around killing people with sharp teeth, powerful claws, etc.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
AWOOOO

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
also the social commentary is man reckoning with their own monstrosity. they don't choose or control it, it is simply their nature and they must face the morality test of whether to embrace it or take steps to minimize the danger they present to society.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

(werewolf howl)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Strong Sauce posted:

mentioned in the mtg market watch channel that talks about card prices...

you can see it on mtggoldfish here:

Yeah, this is some dumb fake #mtgfinance poo poo. That card is still worthless.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=booKP974B0k

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Werewolves are cool but there aren't nearly as many good werewolf movies as compared to zombies or vampires. An American Werewolf in London by noted child murderer John Landis rules but I struggle to think of any others

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
werewolves are cool when they're not just furry stronger zombies

some semblance of intelligence makes them way more interesting, but marred by overwhelming bestial fury etc etc

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the fourth Innistrad set in 5 years will be a World of Darkness crossover, Red Green and White werewolves fighting against Blue and Black Pentex

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Werewolves are cool but there aren't nearly as many good werewolf movies as compared to zombies or vampires. An American Werewolf in London by noted child murderer John Landis rules but I struggle to think of any others

How soon we forget Underworld

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

That's both a werewolf and a vampire movie so it's a wash

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

The CGI and body suit werewolves in that entire series were complete trash. Like comically bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think I'm the one person who liked American Werewolf in Paris. Tbf I only saw it back when it came out in the theaters so there's every chance I'd hate it now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I actually never saw the first Underworld but I saw the sequel in theaters lol. I remember almost nothing except Bill Nighy was cool and Kate Beckinsale looked good in that bodysuit

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

If you don't do this with gusto every time they transform (to the backside) at fnm every game every round every week then just gtfo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If you don't do this with gusto every time they transform (to the backside) at fnm every game every round every week then just gtfo

Hell if you don't dress up as Warren Zevon for FNM they shouldn't even let you in the door.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
being a werewolf is the most fun part of Skyrim. beyond that I don't have any werewolf opinions

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually just realized the werewolf movie I've seen more than any other is the MST3K episode Werewolf. Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxHRydG2fNU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Actually just realized the werewolf movie I've seen more than any other is the MST3K episode Werewolf. Lmao

I definitely said "Yanaglotchi" more than once when playing a werewolf at the innistrad prerelease.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell yeah

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Before everyone gets sidetracked by the new Fact or Fiction, I love this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Second best 4 mana draw 2 instant ever printed after OG FOF.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

A card that turned you, the player, into a werewolf would be awesome

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Might be good enough for Modern Dredge.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vegetables posted:

Form of the Werewolf.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

new Fact or Fiction

Card's no FoF because it doesn't put the rest in the graveyard and doesn't give the opponent the chance to gently caress up and give you more than 2 cards. Putting the burden on the opponent to guess what you already have and its utility as graveyard enabler give FoF some extra oomph that normal draw spells lack.

Memory Deluge is more like a stronger Behold the Multiverse. That's a good place to be.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

vegetables posted:

Oh you missed that Secret Lair drop?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I don't think there's going to be any super relevant cost reduction stuff in standard that I can think of but that X effect is a really clever way to boost the flashback value while nerfing casting poo poo for free

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Might be good enough for Modern Dredge.

Even if it has a narrower scope than Faithless looting, I think this card is a lot better than some of the initial thoughts I'm seeing

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think it's really strong. Even if you don't care about the GY particularly, the card selection mode is still a nice fail case. Cheap removal spells always play better than they read when they're modal imo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
New Fact or Fiction is going to be format defining in Standard and Historic. It also could see play in Modern but probably won't.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are you calling Deluge a FoF?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm really annoyed at how bad new Teferi is. The +1 and -2 are loving worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think it'll replace the Kaldheim draw-2 in Standard, even at 7 mana you're going to get to the flashback often enough for it to be a significant upside.

I'm not so sure about Historic. I feel like it might be too slow.