Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Idea: vaccine coated katana

Katerna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schnorkles posted:

please for the love of god do not assume pfizer's protease inhibitor is going to do anything game changing

its a repurposed molecule in much the same way remdesivir was.

thats fine, repurpose it into my vein

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

fosborb posted:

this is so stupid, lol

they're absolutely going to have a breakthrough case and likely very soon. just a law of averages at this point. if WV numbers are similar to SC, about 1% of covid deaths (all time) are breakthroughs of 61+ year olds, and this hospital has handled about 4% of total SC deaths

like, what happens at that point? oops, vaccine protection isn't perfect! sorry we implied that! don't worry though, this was entirely expected!

and it is expected, but this constant retreat from "pretend it's perfect to sell it" is not helping anyone

a lot of folks in the comments were already posting stuff like "I know they are lying! non-vaxed people have died! My aunt's brother's friend works there and he told me so."

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Glumwheels posted:

Thank you, I’ll look it up. My wife is not interested in wearing the 3m respirator I bought. She thinks they won’t be able to hear us answering questions during the interview. I’m getting stressed about it now because the county is on fire with COVID and so are the trees. I don’t even want to stop for food or bathroom breaks. Just in an out, hold it for 5 hours into we’re back home.

laundry detergent bottle for peeing, can also buy a silicon urination funnel for women. or just go in the woods

amazon sells collapsible travel toilets. line with a hefty heavy duty garbage bag and wear some neoprene gloves. kitty litter can be helpful too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FQXBJL3/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZS5XRY/

also instead of "hand sanitizer" i recommend this stuff with actually antibacterial benzalkonium chloride: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSCAXE8/

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Iron Crowned posted:

I was planning to take a cooking class in 2020, so that I could get some training, and possibly meet some new people who don't hang out at the bar all day.

I can wait until 2024 for that.

Airbnb and cozy meal have a TON of great cooking classes and also cocktail classes

Make mochi with a lady in Tokyo or empanadas with someone in Argentina, etc. we’ve done a bunch, love it

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazyweasel posted:

I can’t find in OP any discussion on kids masks that are better than cloth with disney prints. what is out there?

KF94's from BeHealthy seem to be the common recommendation for kids:

https://behealthyusa.net/collections/small

Bonafide Masks also has generic white KN95's for cheap:

https://bonafidemasks.com/powecom-kn95-sm-respirator-mask-10-masks-per-pack/

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 9, 2021

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

GenJoe posted:

impulse is booster, yeah.

this graph isn't adjusted by population though, right? so you're running into the base rate issue where there's a small % of people who are boosted, so they're making up only a small % of hospitalizations amongst the total pop. this is just the reverse of the HALF OF PEOPLE IN HOSPITAL ARE VACCINATED headlines we've been seeing

Think so. I believe the Israeli govt has published the number of zero/single/double/triple vaccinated people over time so you could convert these plots to show the case rates wrt each specific population and have a fair comparison. But this requires :effort:

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Shifty Pony posted:

also an aside: 3M Aura N95s own. very very comfortable since they don't strap on as tight and move with your face.

:hfive: hell yeah the Auras own

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

How many of u respirator crew are using organic vapor cartridges with their P100? I was looking at them last night but noticed the adapter piece for the 3M 7500 series is $50 which is almost $20 more than the actual mask part. I don't think I'm venturing into any Cool Zones in the near future so I was curious what else I might want one for.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

no wonder why mayorcop eric kicked you out of his inaug bash lmao

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Remember that school district I posted about, where the board meeting was disrupted over mask mandate riots?

lol they're gonna keep doing this forever now.

lol

"MaSKs tRaumAtiZe aRE kIdS"

*calls in terrorist bomb threat to kid's school*

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

god drat it, I forgot my showercaps and some water got into my p100s.

Got spares, and they didn't get too wet, but how much endurance am I down, since google is being useless.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Lacrosse posted:

How many of u respirator crew are using organic vapor cartridges with their P100? I was looking at them last night but noticed the adapter piece for the 3M 7500 series is $50 which is almost $20 more than the actual mask part. I don't think I'm venturing into any Cool Zones in the near future so I was curious what else I might want one for.

I find them to be too heavy if you're wearing the half mask for too long

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

if you're vaccinated are you allowed to die "of covid" rather than "with covid"?

And then I get to go to Valhalla?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

StratGoatCom posted:

god drat it, I forgot my showercaps and some water got into my p100s.

Got spares, and they didn't get too wet, but how much endurance am I down, since google is being useless.

What kind are you using?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
in this house we say open biden

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

GenJoe posted:

impulse is booster, yeah.

this graph isn't adjusted by population though, right? so you're running into the base rate issue where there's a small % of people who are boosted, so they're making up only a small % of hospitalizations amongst the total pop. this is just the reverse of the HALF OF PEOPLE IN HOSPITAL ARE VACCINATED headlines we've been seeing

You're not wrong. It does adjust for persons over 60 (although a quick google search isn't revealing what percentage of the over 60 crowd is boostered). So, yeah, in a perfect world I'd want to have a little more context before pointing to it. However, we live in the Line-Go-Down Cinematic Universe so I'm not going to offer that up if they don't ask me about it and it convinces them to go ahead and get the shot.

Okay, this article from Aug 31 says that 2.2 million Israelis already got their booster, compared to the 5.5 million with 2x and 6 million with 1x and 3 million (roughly) UnVaxed. If this were purely a base-rate issue then I would expect the Booster line to go up and the UnVax/PartialVax line to go down.

But someone please correct me if I'm totally wrong here.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dan Deman gonna getting his secound round of Moderna shot today, making me win the Triple Crown of shots.

Dan Deman, gets what he wants

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

mormon facebook in like, suburban utah is loving hilarious right now.

Post pics

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Thinking some of these people couldn't afford to lose the 7 IQ points

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1435994955776942091

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Thinking some of these people couldn't afford to lose the 7 IQ points

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1435994955776942091

Missouri is seriously a special kind of hell, just the absolute shittiest place I've ever visited.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

UFOTacoMan posted:

Since the beginning of the pandemic, Mission has had 415 COVID-19 deaths.

fosborb posted:

this is so stupid, lol

they're absolutely going to have a breakthrough case and likely very soon. just a law of averages at this point. if WV numbers are similar to SC, about 1% of covid deaths (all time) are breakthroughs of 61+ year olds, and this hospital has handled about 4% of total SC deaths

like, what happens at that point? oops, vaccine protection isn't perfect! sorry we implied that! don't worry though, this was entirely expected!

and it is expected, but this constant retreat from "pretend it's perfect to sell it" is not helping anyone

whoopsie doodle!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Idea: vaccine coated katana

mRNA to make spike proteins folded 1000 times

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Remember that school district I posted about, where the board meeting was disrupted over mask mandate riots?

lol they're gonna keep doing this forever now.

Didn’t this happen yesterday too, a disgruntled PTA meeting followed by a gun being brandished in school the next day or something like that

Demon cracker nation, etc.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Mayor Dave posted:

Half my Mormon relatives are fully on the horse paste train and even the ones who have been vaxxed are talking about how they understand why people are hesitant

I work for a company that is heavily mormon, one of my bosses told me to my face (over webcam) that she fully believed in Ivermectin working.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Teenage Riot posted:

Didn’t this happen yesterday too, a disgruntled PTA meeting followed by a gun being brandished in school the next day or something like that

Demon cracker nation, etc.

Broke: students doing school shootings
Woke: parents doing school shootings

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Missouri is seriously a special kind of hell, just the absolute shittiest place I've ever visited.

Really highly recommend fast forwarding to this guy they call out in the tweet at 4:00 or so. He's ... something

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Against my morals and wishes, I must poop in the toilet instead of my pants. This is a degrading, humiliating violation of everything I hold dear, of every value that is sacred, of objective morality - against god and truth and love itself. God watch over me as I enter into this dark phase of my life.

Update: wasn't as bad as I thought.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

UFOTacoMan posted:

whoopsie doodle!

lmaoooo

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Glumwheels posted:

Thank you, I’ll look it up. My wife is not interested in wearing the 3m respirator I bought. She thinks they won’t be able to hear us answering questions during the interview. I’m getting stressed about it now because the county is on fire with COVID and so are the trees. I don’t even want to stop for food or bathroom breaks. Just in an out, hold it for 5 hours into we’re back home.

You can stop at gas station bathrooms, you'll be fine until you make it back to the country club.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Schnorkles posted:

in this house we say open biden

just found out this is a real quote WTF

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

UFOTacoMan posted:

whoopsie doodle!

lol As someone who does Covid analytics work, please have mercy on the places that trying in good faith*. The data is still crazy messy - so many new processes and workflows have evolved in the past year and a half it's tough to get it all right.

*edit: no idea if this place is or not

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Testvan posted:

covid over

i'm the wiggle heading back up

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ram dass in hell posted:

yeah it owns. it was a liberty bell level crack/ping for me. might have started to split the hemispheres or something lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been an instance of someone calling in a bomb threat to a school and it turned out there were actual bombs involved? Feels like bomb threats have just been the felony version of pulling the fire alarm to get out of a test you didn't study for.

Out India way people who phone in bomb threats get paid police visits every single time. dumb kids get let off with warnings, while adults get arrested and depending on the state of their rap sheet can be bailed out or stay in prison for a while until it sinks in calling in fake threats is a bad idea.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Dan Deman gonna getting his secound round of Moderna shot today, making me win the Triple Crown of shots.

Dan Deman, gets what he wants

Also pro-tip is the 1st shot speedrun is the best plan IMO.

That way you can show up 5 - 6 months later, saying looks like I forgot!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ram dass in hell posted:

this is insane, no way

do you have a link to this because this absolutely cannot be real

you're a liar because there is just no such thing on congressional record for the internet archives foreverially that has "open biden" as a soundbyte imprinted in its halls

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
anyone got any good Covid meltdowns to watch

https://youtu.be/n4hB2Ae28dI

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

McNugget Buddy posted:

KF94's from BeHealthy seem to be the common recommendation for kids:

https://behealthyusa.net/collections/small

Bonafide Masks also has generic white KN95's for cheap:

https://bonafidemasks.com/powecom-kn95-sm-respirator-mask-10-masks-per-pack/

ahhh great - thanks!

also a friends grandfather died from breakthrough. probably 6 or 7 months post vax, 85 y/o, avoided going to the hospital for like 2 weeks because he didn’t want it. So seems like that state level data is suggesting m, unsurprisingly, the elderly are being the brunt of breakthrough deaths. Wonder how much is waning immunity and just straight up old age vulnerability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Dren posted:

What do we say to the "you're gonna get it eventually" takes? I assume in a couple of months we're going to have more and better data on vaccine effectiveness & outcomes in vaccinated people due to the delta wave. I guess I'll just wait till then to understand just how much suffering the "you're gonna get it eventually" crowd is allowing.

Personally, I think there's no way I don't get it eventually because I have kids and my kids will have to go to school at some point (not until after vaccines for kids, that's for drat sure). I can wear a respirator when out of the house but I cannot reasonably expect my kids to stay masked around their peers for the duration of the pandemic if that duration is another 5-10 years. I will continue to encourage them to mask when case rates are high, assuming that information is still published going forward.

edit: if I ever end up hospitalized with covid I will be sure to wear my "covid is over" shirt to the hospital

the stats are being hyper-distorted to paint a picture that vaccines are near perfect protection and you have nothing to worry about. this is _false_. boston, seattle, LA, etc. all show in their breakthrough data 6-7% of vaccinated breakthrough cases are hospitalized and 1% still die--this is the same as for unvaccinated people! you have less of a chance of catching the virus but you sure as hell are not 'safe' from it. add on to that the fact that we are fumbling boosters after clear evidence from israel that 5-6 months is the max window of protection and it is a recipe for disaster

at a macro level the 'just live with it' falls apart when we consider it will leave hospitals permanently full and overflowing with people. covid puts people in the hospital about 10x more than the flu for example. it is catastrophic to try to live with it