Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I take a pretty expansive view on what 'trek' can be, but that Picard trailer made it look suspiciously like the meat of the story is something that could just be written as a contemporary story with no star trekking or time travel elements at all and in that case it does feel like a bit of a waste of IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

I think the 3 plotline one from a couple weeks ago was a bit stronger but this was an extremely solid showing.

The last gag with the model where they had to use tweezers to get the warp core eject authorization cards was amazing.

It was the pitched up computer voice that did it for me.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

Phylodox posted:

It was the pitched up computer voice that did it for me.

Even the Time seemed scaled up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t have an issue with Picard S2 using time travel or going up against a fascist Starfleet or whatever, but there’s just something wrong about seeing Trek characters in an obviously 21st century setting. I don’t know if it’s the blatant branding on the cars that they didn’t even try to obscure or that it looks like ten dozen other boring-rear end LA-set shows/movies, but I absolutely hate it.

Which is odd, because the extremely 90s Voyager LA two-parter never bothered me.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Alchenar posted:

I take a pretty expansive view on what 'trek' can be, but that Picard trailer made it look suspiciously like the meat of the story is something that could just be written as a contemporary story with no star trekking or time travel elements at all and in that case it does feel like a bit of a waste of IP.

I was hoping that they'd do a different "What if?" scenario every episode or every few episodes, but now it does look like after way too much time in the "everyone is cartoonishly evil for the sake of being cartoonishly evil" universe that has regrettably become a tradition to include in each Star Trek series, they're just going to spend a season in a "everyone is cartoonishly evil because of a divergent timeline" universe.

In any other series, that idea would be limited to one episode at most, usually during Season 3 or Season 4 after the normal setting and characters have been given some room. When that is the case, it's more tolerable before they go on to the next thing.

I'm not bothered by a visiting the 21st century episode. I was bothered by it with VOY (for the first 20 minutes before the plot started going), but I think that's because I was sick of time-travel-to-when-the-series-was-made plots, almost always LA where the series is made and rarely anywhere else on all of Earth, after seeing the Star Trek TOS movie and the Enterprise episodes. They were all good, and it was just that I'd seen it too recently. I get the feeling that there are going to be a bunch of morals that are going to fall on deaf ears for everyone who needs to hear it, while coming across as played out for anyone else, like ICE are going to be the bad guys in the LA episode

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 9, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Enterprise did 1950s Pennsylvania and 2004 Detroit and those were good and fun.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t have an issue with Picard S2 using time travel or going up against a fascist Starfleet or whatever, but there’s just something wrong about seeing Trek characters in an obviously 21st century setting. I don’t know if it’s the blatant branding on the cars that they didn’t even try to obscure or that it looks like ten dozen other boring-rear end LA-set shows/movies, but I absolutely hate it.

Which is odd, because the extremely 90s Voyager LA two-parter never bothered me.

i've always liked the dips into contemporary periods for two parters here and there. it's fun fish out of water stuff, usually. i don't even mind the idea of doing a season focused on it as a concept.

but the thing with picard, and one of the many reasosn i dipped out mid s1, is that they already totally changed how the characters talked. so this doesn't feel any more wrong to me than it already did. seven was already acting like a standard 21st century character when she showed up in s1.

like that line in the trailer where picard says 'i am way too old to be putting up with your bullshit'. would picard say 'way too old?' nope. that's something 21st century americans say. they're not even trying.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

HD DAD posted:

Enterprise did 1950s Pennsylvania and 2004 Detroit and those were good and fun.

Counterpoint - all trek shows that had revisits to 20 and 21st century has a show going before and after these revisits and not built upon them.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's kind of funny how fragile the Federation is that virtually all alternate timelines and universes result in it being fascist and really liking black clothes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh hey, they've finally gotten over having to put tiny starfleet delta patterns on all the uniforms!

Now it's command stars!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It looks like this season has something to do with a 21st century space mission to Europa too, so who knows, maybe the whole season isn't earthbound. It could be kind of neat for them to get into early space exploration shenanigans.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 9, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All that close-up reminds me of is that one mustard Garak shirt with the textured shoulders

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It looks like this season has something to do with a 21st century space mission to Europa too, so who knows, maybe the whole season isn't earthbound. It could be kind of neat for them to get into early space exploration shenanigans.

Someone spotted some signs for Sanctuary Districts in the trailers, it might be near future instead of current day.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Someone spotted some signs for Sanctuary Districts in the trailers, it might be near future instead of current day.

It would definitely be a plus if they finally at least acknowledged class issues in modern Trek.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It would definitely be a plus if they finally at least acknowledged class issues in modern Trek.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It'd be cool if the Bell Riots happen in the background. Just occasional news reports showing Sisko. Maybe Q looking nervous.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I imagine they've punted for 20-30 years in the future so it's today but not literally today.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Fully expecting some eyeroll ongoing side story about Laan secretly trying to find the Botany Bay or whatever

She's a distant descendant, trying to "redeem" the family name after almost 300 years, in-universe it's enough to make some of her crew-mates at least wary of her, because she's related to THE Khan, and in real life it does the same to us, for the same reason. It's a fun way to play with how Star Trek works, we've enough actual history now that we can use it in layers!*

*This is my guess/hope

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BooDooBoo posted:

She's a distant descendant, trying to "redeem" the family name after almost 300 years, in-universe it's enough to make some of her crew-mates at least wary of her, because she's related to THE Khan, and in real life it does the same to us, for the same reason. It's a fun way to play with how Star Trek works, we've enough actual history now that we can use it in layers!*

*This is my guess/hope

“We’d like to extend the warmest welcome to our newest addition to the marketing department, Jeff Hitler.”

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Maybe Picard in saving the future, Picard Season 2 will undo all the ultradark crap that happened in S1 and also ensure the Federation stops using money again

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

Maybe Picard in saving the future, Picard Season 2 will undo all the ultradark crap that happened in S1 and also ensure the Federation stops using money again

Let's not get carried away here

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We fixed the future! It's... mostly the same. <cut to Picard looking at a picture of the Disco Connie>

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

We fixed the future! It's... mostly the same. <Picard looks in a mirror but it’s Michael Burnham staring back>

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

HD DAD posted:

“We’d like to extend the warmest welcome to our newest addition to the marketing department, Jeff Hitler.”

"Here's your supervisor, Future Woody Allen..."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phylodox posted:

Well, I think that most recent episode of Lower Decks might be the funniest one yet.

Your pagh is weak and it disgusts me!

I was losing it at this one, such a great ep.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MikeJF posted:

I feel like Star Trek should drop all pretenses about it being 'our' future. It's a different reality. People are comfortable with that concept now. For example, there was a time when people tried to mix the Marvel universe with our own reality, but these days no one's really making any sort of attempt to do that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

From where I'm standing, the world was devastated by a eugenic war 25 years ago

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The tiny voice on the mini warp-core-eject was so great :allears:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Whatever happened to the eugenics wars? As a kid they always sounded like the biggest deal, but as each new trek show wanted to visit their contemporary time, it keeps getting pushed back and back to where it never feels like they ever really existed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

Whatever happened to the eugenics wars? As a kid they always sounded like the biggest deal, but as each new trek show wanted to visit their contemporary time, it keeps getting pushed back and back to where it never feels like they ever really existed.

Yet they sure talk about goddamn Khan a lot

I think they've semi-retconned them to not so much wars as behind the scenes puppetmastering by a few individuals, a secret cabal if you will

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

They went from like countless nations led by genetic supermen scouring the Earth with nuclear warfare to being like, some bad super genetic guys that got chased off the planet at some point after some invisible happenings in Asia. Really one of the saddest deflations of worldbuilding, I think they should have aimed further than 1996 from the get-go even in the 60s.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

They went from like countless nations led by genetic supermen scouring the Earth with nuclear warfare to being like, some bad super genetic guys that got chased off the planet at some point after some invisible happenings in Asia. Really one of the saddest deflations of worldbuilding, I think they should have aimed further than 1996 from the get-go even in the 60s.

Some definite "I served with your father in the Clone Wars" energy to the lack of real planning

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Tom Guycot posted:

Someone said that the contemporary time we see in the Picard trailer still includes references to the Bell Riots period from DS9, so its not like its just ignoring established canon completely to do modern-day 2021.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Edit - Double post.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 9, 2021

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man it's bullshit, 2021 was a time of horrible poverty and ghettoes, it didn't look like our modern society. There's no bell riots in this trailer, no remnants of the eugenics wars

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Man it's bullshit, 2021 was a time of horrible poverty and ghettoes, it didn't look like our modern society. There's no bell riots in this trailer, no remnants of the eugenics wars

Apparently there is a reference to the sanctuary districts in the trailer, although I didn't spot it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Why is everyone assuming it takes place in 2021? Did I miss something? It's contemporary but looked like it could've been 2050 or whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Why is everyone assuming it takes place in 2021? Did I miss something? It's contemporary but looked like it could've been 2050 or whatever.

Just assuming the cheapest, laziest answer I imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Picard season 4 takes place in a trailer on the Paramount lot