Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I completely forgot that Enter the Matrix had a cutscene where Jada Pinkett Smith and Monica Bellucci make out.

e: lmao this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcXWKi1h6Y

Enter the Matrix loving owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

porfiria posted:

The first Matrix (1999) was a culmination of pre-9/11 engagement with themes of anomie, frustration, and self-actualization. It is the ultimate Gen X movie.

However, we have seen in the intervening decades how that selfsame ideology of individualism and self-expression is actually a comfortable fit for late stage capitalist consumerism, and offers little defense against the barbarism of the 21st century. Witness how easily the imagery of "The Red Pill" is adopted by deranged Internet misogynists and reactionaries, for example. It's not enough to say that they are simply misreading the film or acting in bad faith. In fact, they have correctly identified the evils of hyper-capitalist exploitation; their solution, however, inserted into the ideological gap of The Matrix, is to return to old systems of master-slave domination (with themselves as masters, of course).

The challenge of The Matrix IV (2021), then, is surely to fill in the gap left by the first movie: Neo is a failed messiah whose agenda of "raising consciousness" or "bringing attention to the issues [of the Matrix]" has been utterly discredited. What is the third choice, beyond the false binary of blue and red pills?

Bush did 9/11 to redirect the mass cultural awakening started by the release of Matrix in 1999. The first Cyberdog store in the US was set to open its doors on 9/12/01 in the concourse of 7 World Trade Center. If Bush hadn't acted we'd all be wearing glow in the dark mesh t shirts and platform doc martens right now.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Ammanas posted:

Morpheus, Trinity et al do things normal people cant and Neo is merely a step up from them, not wholly apart. God does not fistfight goons.

From some trailer scenes it looks like Neo's "powers" are a bit more developed.

I think being able to fly at supersonic speeds and stop bullets with his mind is a bit past a 'step up' from Trinity and Morpheus. The best they can do when encountering an agent is still run, while Neo just gives a 'Hm, upgrades' shrug. Even upgraded the agents are no threat whatsoever to Neo.

And God does fistfight goons. Why doesn't he disintegrate the other Agents like he did with Smith?Apparently because he doesn't feel like it. In his fight with a hundred Smiths, he just decided at one point he's done and flies off. Nothing was preventing him from flying off in the first place aside from him wanting to smack Smith around for a few minutes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He's just farming them for experience points

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Torquemada posted:

My aunt lives in Scotland. She says it’s quite nice.

Well she's wrong.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm accepting the story will be utterly incoherent and try really hard to mesh with the mythology of the trilogy but it wont matter because its gonna look and feel awesome

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
My initial reaction to the trailer is it seems like its going down the route of The Force Awakens in basically being a nostalgic movie instead of something new.
Hope i'm wrong about that because i loved the matrix, sequels and all

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crushing real hard on Jessica Henwick's character btw.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

clean ayers act posted:

My initial reaction to the trailer is it seems like its going down the route of The Force Awakens in basically being a nostalgic movie instead of something new.

Well The Force Awakens was literally fan-fiction, made by people who grew up with the original trilogy. This new Matrix film is still being made by one of the two original creators.

The teasers and trailer are clearly referencing a lot of the imagery from the first Matrix, and to some extent the sequels, but having all these echoes of a lost past seems to be part of the story and not just for nostalgia.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think they might be hitting the same beats as some sort of ruse by the machines. But also because it's easy to sell as a late sequel.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

lol just wait for this movie to be completely weird and not satisfy most normal people.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just hope it’s a good stand alone. If they want to leave a few nuggets for a future movie that’s fine but no epic trilogy again please.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I fell down a twitter hole of "Lana Wachowski is actually a huge racist" and let me tell you, people sure do have a lot to say!

Cloud Atlas certainly was a weird thing.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Someone who's funny do something with "Ready Player Neo". I got nothing.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I am ready for another Matrix movie. Also I think Jonathan Groff plays the dude that Cypher became as payment for backstabbing everyone in the original.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I fell down a twitter hole of "Lana Wachowski is actually a huge racist" and let me tell you, people sure do have a lot to say!

Cloud Atlas certainly was a weird thing.

A big part of the themes behind Lana Wachowski's works is identity and interconnection. The intent was so pure behind the idea that I give them a pass for it, though understandable that many others may not due to the history of blackface and the like.

Cloud Atlas was great.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This is looking disturbingly similar to Pacific Rim.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I love you SMG. Just coming in, leaving that take with no further explanation, then leaving.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Necrothatcher posted:

I completely forgot that Enter the Matrix had a cutscene where Jada Pinkett Smith and Monica Bellucci make out.

e: lmao this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcXWKi1h6Y

You open with this and then post THAT clip?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

So the internet is going to like it, I will find it boring and it will make a middling amount of money?

...yeah, that checks out.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
every wachowski film i've ever seen has always had at least a few scenes i remember years later. even jupiter ascending. looking forward to this

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Enter the Matrix loving owned

as a dumbe kid, i was enjoyed enter the matrix for what it was, but dear god the driving sections were some of the most excruciating gameplay i've ever seen

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shardix posted:

Someone who's funny do something with "Ready Player Neo". I got nothing.

Here is the beginning of my thesis that Bill & Ted was the Ready Player One of its day but for scholars instead of pop culture drones

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

clean ayers act posted:

I feel that. "Red pills, blue pills? We got 'em! Neo fighting Morpheus in a dojo? We have that! Neo stopping bullets with his mind? Here you go!"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

I feel that. "Red pills, blue pills? We got 'em! Neo fighting Morpheus in a dojo? We have that! Neo stopping bullets with his mind? Here you go!"

I know, ain’t it great!

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

it looks so bad

like, the Resurrection for real? ugh

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

So is NPH The Architect, or just a garden variety, agent-level sentient program?

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
saw some semi-interesting speculation on reddit (spoilers bc who knows if they read the leaks and are just loving with people) -- could be going a route similar to New Nightmare for freddy krueger

-projection of Matrix 99 could indicate that it exists as a movie in-universe
-dude at the end of trailer who says "back where it all started, the Matrix!" could be a movie agent type (emphasis on "agent")
-"I wanna be someone important, like an actor"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jay-V posted:

saw some semi-interesting speculation on reddit (spoilers bc who knows if they read the leaks and are just loving with people) -- could be going a route similar to New Nightmare for freddy krueger

-dude at the end of trailer who says "back where it all started, the Matrix!" could be a movie agent type (emphasis on "agent")

This is the theory my brother and I were thinking of too. Make it ultra-meta.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Guy who has seen every movie ever: "Getting a lotta Pacific Rim vibes here"

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
That’s what I’m thinking too but I’m probably totally off

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jay-V posted:

I’m into it.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Jay-V posted:

Jean Baudrillard's book Simulacra and Simulation was obviously an influence on The Matrix. The book itself even shows up in the first movie, hollowed out to store Neo's contraband computer poo poo. Back in 2004, Baudrillard was interviewed and said the movie and its sequels basically got everything wrong, claiming:

Jean Baudrillard posted:

The Matrix is surely the kind of film about the matrix that the matrix would have been able to produce.

And I guess maybe Lana Wachowski was like, "You know what, that's a good point."

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't seen this posted yet, but the building that Neo and Nu-Morpheus are in: "Deus Machina".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That still looks like it’s from a photoshop friday about recreating that Wilford Brimley explosion image in other media

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

garycoleisgod posted:

So the internet is going to like it, I will find it boring and it will make a middling amount of money?

...yeah, that checks out.

I'm talking more the assloads of blue objects as metaphor, mixed with the otherwise-pukey haze of coloured lighting.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think Neo should get very slightly smaller each time he takes a blue pill to really drive the Alice stuff home

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Payndz posted:

Yeah, the trailer looks spectacular. It's an explosion of pin-sharp hyperreal colours this time rather than murky green (Matrix) and grey (real world), and I'm all for it.

Add me to the list of 'people who went into The Matrix in 1999 knowing almost nothing about it' and being blown away. "Something to do with virtual reality?" was as much as I had. Absolutely the best way to see it for the first time.

For some reason the green filter was added on the DVD release and all subsequent releases. In the theater, it had no such filter. It looked bright and beautiful for the most part. I'm pretty sure there's a version out there on bluray or whatever that has the original coloring?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the bowling strike sound effect they used in Burly Brawl

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I finished watching Revolutions just now after burning through Reloaded and the first film last night. Revolutions is alright. First is obviously one still the best, but Reloaded definitely has the best action (ignoring the burly brawl). That one-two punch of the chateau fight leading into the highway chase is pretty insane; hardly any big budget tentpole action blockbusters have set pieces that well designed. Only movies in the last few years that I feel come close or are as good/better are sequences from Fury Road and Alita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

For some reason the green filter was added on the DVD release and all subsequent releases. In the theater, it had no such filter. It looked bright and beautiful for the most part. I'm pretty sure there's a version out there on bluray or whatever that has the original coloring?

I've been told that the 4k version is closer to the original color grading.