Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Infinitum posted:

Which is now out of print because the publisher went belly up?

Very glad I decided to finally get the Escalation expansion for Eminent Domain that had been on my wishlist for a while a few months before this happened!

I recently heard about Imperium: Classics/Legends, and after watching some videos, got very interested in it only to find that it was having availability issues. Tonight I went to my FLGS and lo and behold, both were on the shelf! I picked up Classics for now. Has anyone else played it? I was tempted to grab both in case I can't find Legends later, but figured I should make sure I like it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh no, TMG died?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

nordichammer posted:

While we are tangentially related, does anyone have opinions on the Final Fantasy TCG?

It’s….very okay, it hews way closer to MtG than F&B does. There are some fun decks and the two deck starter sets are a fun way to check it out if you stumble across one. I just have trouble with any licensed game where 99% of the card art is game renders or promotional art set in front of a blank void background.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

Oh no, TMG died?

Yes, in July. They'd been robbing Peter to pay Paul on their KS projects and the tower inevitably toppled.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Viper915 posted:

Very glad I decided to finally get the Escalation expansion for Eminent Domain that had been on my wishlist for a while a few months before this happened!

I recently heard about Imperium: Classics/Legends, and after watching some videos, got very interested in it only to find that it was having availability issues. Tonight I went to my FLGS and lo and behold, both were on the shelf! I picked up Classics for now. Has anyone else played it? I was tempted to grab both in case I can't find Legends later, but figured I should make sure I like it first.

Would recommend learning the game with Escalation mixed in? The base game seems a bit simple.

On the other hand, it's a lot of technologies to wrap your head around if you add the expansion

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ogdred Weary posted:

Would recommend learning the game with Escalation mixed in? The base game seems a bit simple.

On the other hand, it's a lot of technologies to wrap your head around if you add the expansion

Eminent Domain without Escalation is hardly worth playing more than once. It's more a proof of concept than a game. Escalation is required.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I got my hands on Pax Pamir 2nd Edition recently and played it solo a couple of times and drat it's good. Got me excited to play more of the pax series.

I started looking at Pax Renaissance because it was on my periphery a few years ago but seemed too complex at the time but lots of people seem to rave about it so I'm keen to give it a shot. Discovered the second edition came out recently but I hate the new direction they went with the graphic design. So much brown. The first edition isn't exactly the prettiest but I love the simple map and there is a charm to the utilitarian design. I've got a lead on a second hand copy of the first edition which is cheaper than the 2nd ed and has the added bonus of not giving money to Phil Eklund.

Any big reason I shouldn't get a secondhand copy of the first edition I'm missing? Looking at the living rulebook they have added the rules for the solo mode and it doesn't require any new components so I think I'm all good there.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is Pamir 2E going to have another printing or am I gonna have to shell out for a used copy?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Is Pamir 2E going to have another printing or am I gonna have to shell out for a used copy?

Think it was available as an add-on with John Company 2, so should be available when that fulfills.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's so expensive at the moment, new copies are going for £100+ on eBay in the UK.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I found a new copy of Pamir on eBay here in Australia for a reasonable price. Late pledged for John Company too but had already missed the cutoff for the Pamir reprint. Sad to have missed out because I don't want to pay $60+ for the metal coins which is what they are going for second hand.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I found a new copy of Pamir on eBay here in Australia for a reasonable price. Late pledged for John Company too but had already missed the cutoff for the Pamir reprint. Sad to have missed out because I don't want to pay $60+ for the metal coins which is what they are going for second hand.

Pax Pamir is honestly a top-10 game for me. It has become something akin to a game like Splendor that my girlfriend and I can set up in five minutes and play in under an hour, but has tons of strategy, story, and Tough Decisions™ that you just look back on and say, wow. Top notch production and design. It might be so good that it makes me dislike the rest of Cole's games because they aren't nearly as good and I keep expecting it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, even after just a couple of solo plays I can see how everything fits together so smoothly. The player interactions are great, the theme is great, there is just a lot to love about the game. I'm looking forward to playing it with a group once this pandemic is over.

I regret not backing it on Kickstarter. I did actually back it initially but cancelled my pledge part way through because I never got Root to the table because due to the asymmetry making it too complex to teach to the group's I was playing games with at the time.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Jedit posted:

Yes, in July. They'd been robbing Peter to pay Paul on their KS projects and the tower inevitably toppled.

Weren't they the company that had that weird stock program?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jedit posted:

That's a real shame (both the collapse and the business practice), I like a lot of their games.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

How is Argent: the consortium? Is the expansion recommended or basically required?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Street Horrrsing posted:

How is Argent: the consortium?

I like it, but it's a lot of fiddly bits and setup and I've not been able to get it to the table enough because it's basically a 3 hour affair each time I want to teach new people.

Street Horrrsing posted:

Is the expansion recommended or basically required?

It plays nicely without, imo.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Pax Pamir is honestly a top-10 game for me. It has become something akin to a game like Splendor that my girlfriend and I can set up in five minutes and play in under an hour, but has tons of strategy, story, and Tough Decisions™ that you just look back on and say, wow. Top notch production and design. It might be so good that it makes me dislike the rest of Cole's games because they aren't nearly as good and I keep expecting it.

I've looked at this a number of times, but always held off because my most regular number of players is two. But I gather it plays well with two? Very grateful for any thoughts you might be able to offer.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

I've looked at this a number of times, but always held off because my most regular number of players is two. But I gather it plays well with two? Very grateful for any thoughts you might be able to offer.

It plays great at two but it's a totally different game than at higher counts because (depending on the board state) you can have zero room for error with regard to dominance checks. If you are aligned differently the game is tremendous and full of fighting and position jockeying and desperately counting blocks and dedication and hoping that when the check card comes out you can trigger it at just the right time to outright win the game (or have not enough to trigger a successful check and then time to count cylinders). Zero sum.

If you are on the same page, it turns into assassination after assassination, grabbing tons of cash to buy gifts and patriots from the market row before your opponent and... hoping that when the check card comes out you can trigger it at just the right time to take the lion's share of points.

It might be rocky at first but my friend, when you and your opponent(s) all grok the mechanics and start noticing cards and manipulating suit order and taxing the poo poo out of dummies that share regions you have control of... Mama mia, what a time.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

It plays great at two but it's a totally different game than at higher counts because (depending on the board state) you can have zero room for error with regard to dominance checks. If you are aligned differently the game is tremendous and full of fighting and position jockeying and desperately counting blocks and dedication and hoping that when the check card comes out you can trigger it at just the right time to outright win the game (or have not enough to trigger a successful check and then time to count cylinders). Zero sum.

If you are on the same page, it turns into assassination after assassination, grabbing tons of cash to buy gifts and patriots from the market row before your opponent and... hoping that when the check card comes out you can trigger it at just the right time to take the lion's share of points.

It might be rocky at first but my friend, when you and your opponent(s) all grok the mechanics and start noticing cards and manipulating suit order and taxing the poo poo out of dummies that share regions you have control of... Mama mia, what a time.

These sorts of dynamics bring out the best in my partner, and reading this I'm just sorry I didn't pick up a copy much earlier. Thank you!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There is also the option to player 2p with a bot to act as the 3rd player so games aren't quite as cut-throat and don't necessarily end as quickly. The bot is pretty good once you get your head around it but can be a bit fiddly. After playing with it a few times I've definitely gotten the rules wrong but still had a blast.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Street Horrrsing posted:

How is Argent: the consortium? Is the expansion recommended or basically required?

Is that name a 'Magic: the Gathering' joke? I always read it as one whenever I see it, and I find that so incredibly offputting as to utterly turn me off the game, which I realise only now might be totally unfair of me?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jedit posted:

Publishers of Ponzi Scheme :smugdog:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

!Klams posted:

Is that name a 'Magic: the Gathering' joke? I always read it as one whenever I see it, and I find that so incredibly offputting as to utterly turn me off the game, which I realise only now might be totally unfair of me?

Not any moreso than:

• Tzol'kin: the Mayan Calendar
  • Caverns: the Cave Farmers
  • The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine
  • Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Toshimo posted:

Not any moreso than:

• Tzol'kin: the Mayan Calendar
  • Caverns: the Cave Farmers
  • The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine
  • Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon

Ok. I mean that's quite blunt, lol. I would argue 'slightly' more so, my read of it was that Argent was their name for magic, (is it actually about metallic tinctures?) Consortium is literally "a gathering", and it's a game (using cards?) about casting spells. If that's not the case then, my bad!

/edit: so, took from your chastising that I was being the dumb dumb, (Yep! Apologies!) and went and actually looked into it, so Argent is the name of the setting? That makes a lot more sense then, obviously WotC don't have any kind of monopoly on 'groups of people' as a concept! It's also like half the price from when I last looked into it, is it good then?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 10, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Argent is a Harry Potter game without Harry Potter. Has little to do with Magic the Gathering. Not a bad game, we kind of played it out when it first released and I sold it, but I'd play it again. We never played with the expansion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

!Klams posted:

Ok. I mean that's quite blunt, lol. I would argue 'slightly' more so, my read of it was that Argent was their name for magic, (is it actually about metallic tinctures?) Consortium is literally "a gathering", and it's a game (using cards?) about casting spells. If that's not the case then, my bad!

Yeah, idk about any deep lore, but Argent is the name of the university, a la Hogwarts. And the Consortium of Mages is electing a new Chancellor.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I did edit my post but in case you missed it I was 100% the bad actor in that exchange. I'm on the internet and I'm WRONG!

Mayveena: Ok, well, that's actually quite a glowing endorsement! I'll stick it on the list!

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Publishers of Ponzi Scheme :smugdog:

This is good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
A good expansion for Argent is the summer one that adds the scenario where you start with two wizards and draft new ones with each round. Speeds it up quite a bit.

Would like to play more of it, wish there was a way to make it not take up an entire table just for two or three people though. There's something extremely space-ineffiecient about it's presentation, specifically the various decks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

wizard: the cadabraing

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kingdom: The Death Monster

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone know what's going on with Sleeping Gods? I ordered it from GameKastle and I heard there was some sort of production issue post-Kickstarter (like the original run had a problem or something?), but now the game has vanished from retailers with no information and the last Kickstarter update was six months ago.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Lathering

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Argent is a good game that's difficult to play because of its table footprint. It's probably my favorite worker placement game though. The expansion is basically more stuff, but isn't required. It's modular though, so it's real easy to just drop stuff in.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Here is a real head scratcher

FF just posted a blog post about Keyforge where they say they are currently unable to print the game because the algorithm is broken and needs to be completely rebuilt.

quote:

Some of you may wonder why we cannot simply relaunch the game now, and the answer is that we simply do not currently have the ability to make new decks.

The “unforeseen complication” that we mentioned above is the fact that the deckbuilding algorithm for KeyForge is broken and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. This is neither an easy process nor a fast one, which is why the game will be going on hiatus for a while. We wish we had better news in this regard, but the fact is that, even if the pandemic was not a factor, we cannot currently generate any new decks.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/9/10/down-but-not-out/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with Sleeping Gods? I ordered it from GameKastle and I heard there was some sort of production issue post-Kickstarter (like the original run had a problem or something?), but now the game has vanished from retailers with no information and the last Kickstarter update was six months ago.

I have the Kickstarter version and I'm not aware of any game-breaking problems. Some minor errors in the rulebook and some errata, as always. I'm seeing this from Ryan Laukat on BGG:

quote:

Aug 18
Thanks for your interest in the game! We're working to get it back in stock as quickly as possible. Manufacturing and assembly of the reprint finishes this week. Sadly, shipping the containers will likely take quite a long time because of the current freight situation. I hope to have this back in stock before the end of the year.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hostage Negotiator is kicking my rear end. I finally won two negotiations in a row with Crime Wave but I want to get better before trying career.

This game will just kick you in the rear end repeatedly unless you have a really good and smart strategy then it will just kick your rear end 50% of the time.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Tainen posted:

Here is a real head scratcher

FF just posted a blog post about Keyforge where they say they are currently unable to print the game because the algorithm is broken and needs to be completely rebuilt.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/9/10/down-but-not-out/

Interesting, some throwaway account posted on Reddit yesterday that a fired dev deleted or sabotaged the software. It was (justifiably, I'd say) ignored, but maybe it was legit after all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

They are hoping the reprint (with some errata fixes) releases this year (originally it was projected for summer/fall, but worldwide shipping problems)