Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

a lot of people will threaten to quit, but these are the same cowards scared of vaccines that have been taken by a billion people now. they'll probably be even more scared of losing their job and fall in line after a public tantrum.

what i'm hoping to see is infighting where the most deranged members of the anti-vax crowd start turning on the more reasonable ones who comply with mandate to avoid being fired.

LOL, I hadn't thought of the fact that if someone is still employed it is going to be a scarlet letter to the most rabid anti-reality fuckwits out there.

My state has already said that refusing to get vaccinated will not qualify for unemployment, so unless they have an actual medical exemption they are pretty hosed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fallom posted:

Oh no not vaccinations and masks

Oh the lost days of 2019

I'm glad to see the authorities managing expectations here. It's something which doesn't seem to have happened in the US and the UK and I think that acknowledging there's been a fundamental, unanticipated shift in how society functions is important.

naem
May 29, 2011

Biden has a spine if steel it turns out

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Speaking of COVID, I'm glad to see Florida got it all under control before NFL season:
https://twitter.com/FortheBaycc/status/1436121571249344512

Already being referred to as "The COVID Bowl". No vaccine proof requirement, no masks, no social distancing. Just looking at that makes me feel anxious

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've seen a lot of complaints about religious exemptions, but I'm much more worried about companies just lazily doing stuff like not documenting vaccination at all and just having employees check a box on form or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy moly this is WAY more than I expected from the Biden administration , this is great

TheBuilder posted:

This is going to be a riot.

They'll probably storm a state house or two but that's just business as usual these days

wilderthanmild posted:

Also all of those points on the plan are good except for one sneaky guy

Which sure sounds like making sure all schools are open.

He's been beating that drum since 2020, it's pretty much a cornerstone of his presidency and I doubt he's going to back down from it now whatever happens

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1341493715811127298

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Lolie posted:

Do you think that 2022 "normal" will be like 2019 normal?

We're still mostly in lockdown and our health authorities are pretty clear that vaccinations and masks will be with us years into the future. It's a price most people seem okay with paying to have recreational life re-open.

Different but WAY better than right the gently caress now

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The dude saying the prayer reminds me of the heavy kid with a lisp in Heaven Help Us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrtQAibsNA

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fallom posted:

Oh no not vaccinations and masks

Oh the lost days of 2019

you would be shocked at how many people think this is a case of either-or and will throw a screaming tantrum like a four year old if you advise them otherwise

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Gimme all the boosters
https://twitter.com/moderna_tx/status/1435978825377136641

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I have a feeling we unlocked something amazing with mRNA tech.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Zil posted:

I have a feeling we unlocked something amazing with mRNA tech.

We did, although the mRNA immunotherapies for cancer are the show-stoppers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how did mRNA tech fly under the radar?

I seem to recall something called "bacteria phages" was suppose to be one of the future supa medical science thing, and it was a pop science topic of the week/month, but then the hype died and it went into the slow grind/small incremental advancement part of the science cycle.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

LOL, I hadn't thought of the fact that if someone is still employed it is going to be a scarlet letter to the most rabid anti-reality fuckwits out there.

Yeah, I love all this handwringing over how enforcement is going to work like employers wouldn't love the opportunity to quickly identify and fire with clear cause their most dumbfuck employees.

"Sorry Bob, but you have to go. Yep, I know, I'm sad too, but my hands are tied, OSHA." :byewhore:

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 10, 2021

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PhazonLink posted:

I seem to recall something called "bacteria phages" was suppose to be one of the future supa medical science thing, and it was a pop science topic of the week/month, but then the hype died and it went into the slow grind/small incremental advancement part of the science cycle.

Bacteriophages, which are viruses that attack bacteria, are still around and used in some treatments. As you say, progress is incremental. (IANAD)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

PhazonLink posted:

The mainstream never gave a poo poo about viruses (until they became a problem, forcing people away from Applebee's)

The closest modern epidemic (AIDS) only affected THE GAYS AND POORS, so :shrug:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The mainstream never gave a poo poo about viruses (until they became a problem, forcing people away from Applebee's)

The closest modern epidemic (AIDS) only affected THE GAYS AND POORS, so :shrug:

And then they called us disgusting diseased whores (including all of us not living with HIV), said we deserved to die from AIDS for not wearing a condom and tried to make exposing someone to HIV a felony even after we understood that if you were living with HIV that was adherent to medication it was impossible to transmit and you used a condom and the person you had sex with didn't seroconvert.

BUT MASKS AND MY FREEDOMS :cry:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I think I got dumber reading that. My brain hurts

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zil posted:

I think I got dumber reading that. My brain hurts

Fox News is an incredible web site

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Except modern microwaves now include a metal center rack.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why does that rock monster need a microwave to heat up metal to eat? Just have Enrique heat it up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Really makes u think

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i just noticed the nazi username too god dang

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

PhazonLink posted:

It wasn't until about 10 years ago that they figured out how to keep it somewhat shelf stable (by suspending it in fat), so it wasn't scaleable.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah mRNA wasn’t at all under the radar. they’ve been working on it for the past two decades. the tricky part was finding some mechanism to deliver the mRNA into your cells before your immune system could tear it to shreds. they were starting to use it in cancer treatments and other weird diseases caused by protein deficiencies when covid hit us

we were really REALLY lucky this tech was ready to rock n roll

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
No surprises here

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1436104824660049921

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

"You can't work here during a pandemic that's overloading all the hospitals if you aren't vaccinated from the disease"

"Quit power grabbing! "*cough*

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embMAtagQiU

This is a really weird issue for conservative politicians to choose as a hill they want to climb, the vaccine is not only extremely popular, the people that have had it are starting to get really angry at the people that haven't gotten it and view them as dangerous idiots.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 10, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Purgatory Glory posted:

"You can't work here during a pandemic that's overloading all the hospitals if you aren't vaccinated from the disease"

"Quit power grabbing! "*cough*

Ill be worried if they start tell chuds to avoid death.

Till then this is just more of the lords work.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embMAtagQiU

This is a really weird issue for conservative politicians to choose as a hill they want to climb, the vaccine is not only extremely popular, the people that have had it are starting to get really angry at the people that haven't gotten it and view them as dangerous idiots.

Abbot is being primaried from the right. His only choice is to appeal to the crazies who vote in the R primary.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Update

boquiabierta posted:

Ughhhh how are people dealing with large events where there may be unvaccinated people along with children? We've been planning to go to my brother-in-law's wedding in October, but for some reason didn't think to check their Covid protocols until just now. Turns out they don't have any. Well, they "expect unvaccinated (and vaccinated) people to abide by US guidelines" but they're not making that explicit in any way. Their wedding website has absolutely nothing about Covid, they're not asking for vaccination status or proof of vax or tests, and they're not asking unvaxxed people to mask. It's going to be 150 people, jfc, and my brother-in-law thinks maybe there are some people on his in-laws' side who "lean right" and might not be vaccinated. But they won't ask them or do anything to try to make it safer for the 10-15 kids they're expecting, including our 18-month-old.

loving gently caress, this sucks so much. We feel confident that everyone on my brother-in-law's side (my in-laws) will be vaccinated because they are all basically reasonable people but I don't want my kiddo around anyone who might be unvaxxed. This delta variant is scary and every time someone says "kids don't get sick" I want to throw things.

I guess we have to decide to keep our baby home and/or not go ourselves, which SUCKS. We've been looking forward to this for ages, haven't seen our families in almost two years and almost no one has met our baby. (We live in Spain and haven't been back to the US since before covid.)

cross posting

Welp, the wedding's off now. My BIL and his wife wound up asking everyone to be vaccinated and to mask at the wedding except when eating and drinking, which made us feel way better about going even though it was obviously still going to be a risk. The bride's family then decided not to come -- not sure if it's out of caution or because they're anti-vax/anti-mask. I'm bummed but also very relieved. We're coming to the US for the first time in almost two years either way, but this way we know we will only interact with vaxxed people.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

a lot of people will threaten to quit, but these are the same cowards scared of vaccines that have been taken by a billion people now. they'll probably be even more scared of losing their job and fall in line after a public tantrum.

what i'm hoping to see is infighting where the most deranged members of the anti-vax crowd start turning on the more reasonable ones who comply with mandate to avoid being fired.

they're going to fake their vax documents and get charged with multiple federal crimes and the lols will just keep coming

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PhazonLink posted:

Interestingly, bacteriophages were used fairly successfully in the USSR as an alternative to certain antibiotic therapies, it was just one of the ways that the Iron Curtain caused a sort of bifurcation in medical research approaches.

As others say, mRNA (and gene therapies more broadly) have been coming down the chute for many years, but progress is slow. Even though Pharma is used to thinking in decade-plus development lifecycles, they will still be quick to put a whole therapeutic area on ice or divest assets to a competitor if there's signs that they won't be immediately profitable, or there's too much competition, or the target population doesn't allow for sufficient growth, etcetc. Thus, externalising healthcare provision to publicly traded companies is a horrible model, but it seems to be the only one there's any appetite for in the "developed world".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Interestingly, bacteriophages were used fairly successfully in the USSR as an alternative to certain antibiotic therapies, it was just one of the ways that the Iron Curtain caused a sort of bifurcation in medical research approaches.

As others say, mRNA (and gene therapies more broadly) have been coming down the chute for many years, but progress is slow. Even though Pharma is used to thinking in decade-plus development lifecycles, they will still be quick to put a whole therapeutic area on ice or divest assets to a competitor if there's signs that they won't be immediately profitable, or there's too much competition, or the target population doesn't allow for sufficient growth, etcetc. Thus, externalising healthcare provision to publicly traded companies is a horrible model, but it seems to be the only one there's any appetite for in the "developed world".

Yeah, I remember phages being the Next Big Thing throughout the 90s, but I think, like mRNA, you could put a charitable spin on their lack of traction by saying that often the treatments we had were good enough that it became difficult to justify, ethically as well as financially, the kind of mass-scale testing you'd need.

IIRC phages are under active investigation for multi-drug-resistant TB and MRSA but there's still a big hesitancy about them because unlike antibiotics there's no way of stopping them once they start - if you're testing a new antibiotic you can start off with tiny doses and work up and if the patient has a reaction you stop and treat the reaction, if your phage virus turns out to have an insatiable appetite for human bone marrow then there's really not much you can do about it.

Similarly I remember reading about mRNA being a candidate for hyper-targeted vaccines against cancer cells and possibly HIV maybe 10 years ago when they first started trials with it (it's possible I might have that confused with another gene therapy) but again there was a big concern about the sheer scope of potential problems it could cause if you got it wrong - not the "It's going to turn all our DNA into reptilian 5G antennas" kind, but just "listen we can do literally anything with this, which means there's an almost infinite amount of ways we can badly gently caress it up" and with traditional treatments for cancer and HIV getting better and better the inherent (and I'd say mostly justifiable) conservatism of medical ethics meant it was always being kept on the back burner. With the sheer tidal waves of cash being thrown at medical research for covid though, they were able to finally prove that it works - if there can be said to be a silver lining to this pretty loving dark cloud, having a whole new class of therapies and vaccines available to humanity is going to radically change a lot of poo poo over the next few decades.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

boquiabierta posted:

Welp, the wedding's off now.
Good.

The amount of social pressure people are feeling around this now is intense. My wife's aunt is likely going to a wedding soon because it's her childhood best friend's kid. She really doesn't want to go, but it's so hard not to given her decades-long friendship. Most of her friend's family are flying in from TX and are unvaxxed. :rip:

Even if you've fully drunk the "covid is endemic" manufactured consent from the media, people should not be having big gatherings right this moment given the ever-increasing delta caseload and the increasingly strained hospital system. Even if only the meal is maskless (which, lol, it emphatically will not be the only maskless thing in 99% of weddings), that's plenty of time to spread delta, especially if the meal is indoors.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

PhazonLink posted:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-daily-10/episode/the-unlikely-pioneer-behind-mrna-vaccines-84603652

A good primer on exactly this.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Detheros posted:

In a 6-3 decision...

I don't see this happening. I think Thomas will be against it because he's an idiot lunatic true believer but the rest will probably desire conspicuous capitalism to resume.

Not to mention it got mentioned on twitter yesterday but there is a clear divide in conservatives who realize it's all bullshit and are selling a product and the true believers. You have everyone at Fox News who is vaccinated and yet does pieces on "Is the vaccine safe??" prolefeed and then you have the radio hosts who are getting wiped out after railing against it and refusing masks and vaccines.

I like to think the supreme court judges are mostly on the fox news side of the fence. Able to pick up where the bullshit meets the grift.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

So is the advantage of mRNA that we can pump it out super easily vs creating the actual proteins we're targeting? I'm just trying to understand how the mRNA is such a huge breakthrough vs just injecting the protein directly.

Kind of like how you could print thousands of copies a day of instructions on how to build an IKEA kitchen, but actually building the kitchen yourself would take a couple days for each one. But you can hand those instructions to a build crew that can do that poo poo in a couple hours.

And then the instructions we printed get all torn up right away so the construction crew doesn't run amok renovating the whole place in ways we didn't ask them to do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MY BODY MY CHOICE!!”*
*except for women

gently caress this Texan ghoul.