Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

Also, unlike Star Wars, it’s pathologically afraid of sentiment or earnestness. Every emotional moment is undercut by a fourth wall breaking joke.

Tell me again which joke undercuts "We Are Groot"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The United States posted:

Even Iron "directed by Jon Favreau" Man is infinitely more sincere than the latter MCU films. When did they really make the turn? Iron Man 2? Avengers?

I'd say Avenger and Joss Whedon's script is when the "quipping" became an expected feature. First Avenger and Thor aren't super hard on being jokey movies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's when he nobly sacrifices himself right? And then he immediately returns as a cute lil baby Groot so it wasn't even a sacrifice!

Maybe not a joke but still extremely undercut, like Chewie "dying" in RoS.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That groot that Rocket knew for however long died. Baby/teen groot is an entirely new seedling thing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I guess that's fair. Just from what we're given in the first movie his return just felt kinda tacked on as a "don't worry, there were no real consequences" kinda thing

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, the whole character and the line itself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guardians of the galaxy was very earnest . It starts with a kid watching his mom die from cancer or I guess it was space cancer.

The second movie was a mess I don’t cite it on purpose.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

euphronius posted:

Guardians of the galaxy was very earnest . It starts with a kid watching his mom die from cancer or I guess it was space cancer.

The second one had "He may have been your father..." and that whole scene is more emotional than anything in the ST.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

The second one is better than the first, and has way more of Gunn’s insane charm and emotional core including the scene mentioned above.

Although Luke’s stuff imo in TLJ is way more emotional to me. Both films meant a lot to me that year on a deeply emotional basis

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
GotG is a very impressive movie, because it's 2 hours of wall to wall jokes but somehow not a single one is funny.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm glad I'm at just the right intelligence level to have laughed and or chuckled occasionally during and enjoyed my time watching both GotG1 and 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mymla posted:

GotG is a very impressive movie, because it's 2 hours of wall to wall jokes but somehow not a single one is funny.
Lee Pace getting sick of Thanoman's Henchman's bullshit and straight up murdering him was funny

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

The United States posted:

Even Iron "directed by Jon Favreau" Man is infinitely more sincere than the latter MCU films. When did they really make the turn? Iron Man 2? Avengers?

Thor: The Dark World was a little bit too sincere, and every movie after that represents a dramatic course correction from that movie being too serious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only thing I remember about Thor 2 was the sidekick referring to Mjolnir as "Mew mew." I don't remember anything insincere about Iron Man 2, it's just weird because Vanko is very clearly the hero and he loses.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Thor 2 is impressive in the sense it's one of the few movies I can actively say I forget every single thing that happened in the film the second the credits hit.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Such is the power of The Dark World

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Thor 2 really feels like a filler movie. I've heard from people who worked on it that Marvel decided to just use raw lighting renders for some shots rather than spend time and money actually compositing them.

Also, to bring it back around to the thread topic, Thor 2 stole a scene from a trailer for The Old Republic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/LucasfilmGames/status/1436066933032439824

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Figures that now they've remade the movies they're on to remaking the video games lol

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jewmanji posted:

Figures that now they've remade the movies they're on to remaking the video games lol

The top comment to this on Reddit says it's their favorite story in any media, which means that (per this poster) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is better than the Bible, Citizen Kane, the Iliad, and Police Academy 3.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

porfiria posted:

The top comment to this on Reddit says it's their favorite story in any media, which means that (per this poster) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is better than the Bible, Citizen Kane, the Iliad, and Police Academy 3.

I mean my favorite story in any media is the Lucas films, which is only marginally less stupid. I read plenty of lit fic all the time and love it for what it is, but... here I am continuing to post in this thread on a nearly daily basis. We're all morons, to varying degrees.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

porfiria posted:

Bible, Citizen Kane, the Iliad, and Police Academy 3.

Havent seen police academy but the rest suck rear end

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The Prima official strategy guide to the Windows PC game “George Lucas’ LucasArts presents Star Wars, Jedi Knight II: Mysteries of the Sith” is the greatest work of literature I’ve ever read

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dennys was created to ensure there would never be another alexandria-style blow to culture

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I loved me some KOTOR back in the day, but I honestly don't see the appeal in a remake.

The original still exists, and is mostly fondly remembered for 'Western RPG in the star wars universe', 'freedom of choice' and 'interesting twist and turns' at a time where videogames didn't have much of those.

I mean, fine, I'm curious how it turns out, but it won't make me feel like I did when I was 15 anymore. I'd rather see them try to make a new Star Wars RPG.

Hell who am I kidding? it's Star Wars! It's entire brand for the past 15 or so years has been to pander to nostalgia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'd rather see them remake KotOR 2 (or Jade Empire, remake Jade Empire) since they have more unrealised potential than KotOR 1.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The best possible option would be that the remake, just when you think it's over, BAM it suddenly turns into the sequel with your Revan's story choices and gender carrying over and affecting what everyone tells you about what happened and everything.

Of course this will not be happening.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 10, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What’s interesting here if you’re a helpless nerd like me is that KotOR (and 2) are irrevocably part of Legends. There is no way you could fit them into nucanon. I wonder if they’re testing the waters to start making Legends stuff again. Not to “Bring back” but just to allow them to make sequels to popular Legends properties without having to worry about confusing the audience about “canon” questions.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I haven't stayed plugged in at all to SW stuff are they even going to continue the movie 'canon' after the trainwreck of the sequel trilogy?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I haven't stayed plugged in at all to SW stuff are they even going to continue the movie 'canon' after the trainwreck of the sequel trilogy?

I keep hearing vague rumors of them making X, XI and XII years down the road, but who the hell knows.

They're done with the Palpatines and Skywalkers, I think. I'd much rather see them go in another direction.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

galagazombie posted:

What’s interesting here if you’re a helpless nerd like me is that KotOR (and 2) are irrevocably part of Legends. There is no way you could fit them into nucanon.

In my opinion the events of kotor have happened as many times as those in star wars

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

What’s interesting here if you’re a helpless nerd like me is that KotOR (and 2) are irrevocably part of Legends. There is no way you could fit them into nucanon.
Why? Who cares?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
KOTOR was fine as a diet Baldur's Gate (and honestly maybe the better game for being diet) but I'll always laugh that rather than go back to the original Jedi vs Sith conflict, the story takes place just after the Sith were wiped out and instead the antagonists are basically Sith pretenders.

With complete narrative freedom the game just recreates the prequel conflict.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The star forge is very different than the death Star

It's a factory that makes guns, instead of just being a big gun

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Been super quiet on anything related to the sequels after the Lego Holiday Special. Nothing from the shows directly references them.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Blood Boils posted:

The star forge is very different than the death Star

It's a factory that makes guns, instead of just being a big gun

Can't wait to see the Death Star Forge, a Jupiter sized Death Star that makes regular sized Death Stars.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think it’s likely for there to be a post sequel trilogy TV show centered around Finn. Supposedly Boyega has made nice with Disney and rumors are that the staff/assets they were putting in place for the cancelled Gina Carano show (Rangers of New Republic) could be repurposed for this.

As for movies, we should be getting a Rogue Squadron movie in another year or so by the Wonder Woman director. No idea what time period it’s set in or characters involved.

There was also a plan to start having the mainline movies shift 400 years in the past to an era Disney is calling the High Republic. A bunch of books and comics have recently launched that era and Disney was expected to do a Marvel Cinematic type universe of movies in that era. But then Covid hit and who knows if it will ever happen. I think they’re more concerned with cranking out TV shows at the moment cause it’s cheaper. Big expensive movies are too dicey to make with Covid and movie theaters shuttered.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Cartoon Man posted:

I think it’s likely for there to be a post sequel trilogy TV show centered around Finn. Supposedly Boyega has made nice with Disney and rumors are that the staff/assets they were putting in place for the cancelled Gina Carano show (Rangers of New Republic) could be repurposed for this.

As for movies, we should be getting a Rogue Squadron movie in another year or so by the Wonder Woman director. No idea what time period it’s set in or characters involved.

There was also a plan to start having the mainline movies shift 400 years in the past to an era Disney is calling the High Republic. A bunch of books and comics have recently launched that era and Disney was expected to do a Marvel Cinematic type universe of movies in that era. But then Covid hit and who knows if it will ever happen. I think they’re more concerned with cranking out TV shows at the moment cause it’s cheaper. Big expensive movies are too dicey to make with Covid and movie theaters shuttered.

well I hope that's true for Boyega because he really got screwed but also lol, More Finn, the super compelling character relegated to second banana halfway through the first movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

That groot that Rocket knew for however long died. Baby/teen groot is an entirely new seedling thing.

They should have had Groot get killed in every movie he appears in but grow back which is why the character only gets to the point of learning like one or two words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Cartoon Man posted:

Is High Republic worth investing some time into?

I haven't heard anything about it, good or bad. I just see the books overpopulated on the shelf whenever I go to Barnes and Noble or Books-a-Million.