Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John F Bennett posted:

I have to thank you again for this suggestion, I found the paperback in a bookstore last week and I can't put it down. It's a fantastic story, it tickles my brain.

I'm super glad you like it! The sequel also kicks rear end.

I've not read any of his other books, does anyone know if they're any fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I just finished Aliens: Phalanx, a fun novel about a primitive world where everyone lives in fort cities because there are black demons outside. Main character was a runner who had to go between forts to trade for medicine/food/whatever.

I'd like to read another book in the same vein: hostile outside world, characters must form sorties to leave their safety zone and skulk around like mice, etc

Legacy of Herot by Larry Niven and the Destination: Void series by Frank Herbert?

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I need to get my elderly father reading crime/adventure/technothriller books that aren't written by garbage racists. He's in to a lot of Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy however I would prefer it if he could be exposed to something with similar themes but without featuring perfidious Asiatics or swarthy hordes of the global south. I've read the first Doc Ford book and that would be a marked improvement apart from the homophobia. Carl Hiaasen stuff would probably fit the bill too.

I'm sure there's a word for the exact genre, but basically the kind of books with undemanding prose interspersed with three pages of weapon specifications or the exact method of calculating dive time in the south equator on the third Monday of the month.

He's also really into planes. So what I'm basically asking is, is there a Clive Cussler without the brain spiders?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

André Malraux, and I'm only half joking.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

evilpicard posted:

André Malraux, and I'm only half joking.

For some reason my father hates French people/culture because of what they did "in the war". He was born in 1952. When pressed, he doesn't like how the French capitulated to the Germans and that Englishmen would never do so. His favourite place he's ever holidayed? The Channel Islands, of course.

Boogoose fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 15, 2021

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

External Organs posted:

I've not read any of his other books, does anyone know if they're any fun?

Doors of Eden was extremely disappointing. HAs an interesting concept, and kind of wastes it. Half a dozen doctor who references, some star wars and other random stuff.

Another goon said he is an average airport sci fi writer who found a great concept in Children of Time, which I absolutely adored. I have only read these two by him, but after Eden I don't feel inclined to read more.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Doors of Eden was extremely disappointing. HAs an interesting concept, and kind of wastes it. Half a dozen doctor who references, some star wars and other random stuff.

Another goon said he is an average airport sci fi writer who found a great concept in Children of Time, which I absolutely adored. I have only read these two by him, but after Eden I don't feel inclined to read more.

Well...poo. Ah well. At least those two books are solid gold.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Boogoose posted:

For some reason my father hates French people/culture because of what they did "in the war". He was born in 1952. When pressed, he doesn't like how the French capitulated to the Germans and that Englishmen would never do so. His favourite place he's ever holidayed? The Channel Islands, of course.

it's wild that your dad hasn't heard of the french resistance or charles de gaulle

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

A human heart posted:

it's wild that your dad hasn't heard of the french resistance or charles de gaulle

Actually, having heard of Charles de Gaulle is an extremely popular reason to hate the French.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Can I get some recs for good non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies, and/or memoirs about photographers and photojournalists?

I've got Slightly Out of Focus by Robert Capra and It's What I Do by Lynsey Addario.

Part of this interest was inspired by watching the Oliver Stone film Salvador, about a photojournalist during the conflict of El Salvador in the 1980s. So it could be as dark as that, or about war-time photography, but I'd also be happy with photography for artistic pursuits, too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Boogoose posted:

I need to get my elderly father reading crime/adventure/technothriller books that aren't written by garbage racists. He's in to a lot of Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy however I would prefer it if he could be exposed to something with similar themes but without featuring perfidious Asiatics or swarthy hordes of the global south. I've read the first Doc Ford book and that would be a marked improvement apart from the homophobia. Carl Hiaasen stuff would probably fit the bill too.

I'm sure there's a word for the exact genre, but basically the kind of books with undemanding prose interspersed with three pages of weapon specifications or the exact method of calculating dive time in the south equator on the third Monday of the month.

He's also really into planes. So what I'm basically asking is, is there a Clive Cussler without the brain spiders?

Check out Dale Brown, specifically the Pat McLanahan series for aviation-based techno-thrillers. Maybe someone else can speak to the racism aspect, I've only read one but I can't remember anything like that in there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

evilpicard posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book about diplomacy and conflict? I've been reading How Wars End but the chapter on Iraq 1 is such a poor analysis it's leading me to distrust the author in general.

e: great book, looking for something like that but across longer time periods

The Sling and the Stone was an interesting read by a retired sassy (toward the pentagon) marine colonel.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is more of an e/n question but y'all know books: do any of you know of any books that offer help or advice on dealing with trauma and/or trauma reactions? I've got the Body Keeps the Score but I could use more to read.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Can I get some recs for good non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies, and/or memoirs about photographers and photojournalists?

I've got Slightly Out of Focus by Robert Capra and It's What I Do by Lynsey Addario.

Part of this interest was inspired by watching the Oliver Stone film Salvador, about a photojournalist during the conflict of El Salvador in the 1980s. So it could be as dark as that, or about war-time photography, but I'd also be happy with photography for artistic pursuits, too.

The Bang-Bang Club: Snapshots from a Hidden War may be of interest to you. I did enjoy it, but it is also a bit depressing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Smithwick posted:

The Bang-Bang Club: Snapshots from a Hidden War may be of interest to you. I did enjoy it, but it is also a bit depressing.

This looks cool. Thank you!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's a fun book about dwarves, with the obligatory "I've already read The Hobbit"

I don't care if it's a fantasy novel or a big worldbuilding spiel or an academic survey of dwarves from folklore and pop-culture. I just wanna read something cool about dwarves.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Dwarves by Markus Heitz is one i remember being pretty good

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for something that is like Game of Thrones, particularly the political intrigue, but with a smaller world (so fewer characters and motivations to keep in mind). Not too fussed about wars and battles, but happy for it to be totally high fantasy.

Essentially what I'm looking for is a book with Tywin Lannister as the main character haha

The DPRK fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 1, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a fun book about dwarves, with the obligatory "I've already read The Hobbit"

I don't care if it's a fantasy novel or a big worldbuilding spiel or an academic survey of dwarves from folklore and pop-culture. I just wanna read something cool about dwarves.

THere's Gnomes by Rien Poortvliet and Wil Huygen, not what you asked for tho

maybe https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Adv...676963570&psc=1 if you can find a copy that isn't falling apart

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The DPRK posted:

I'm looking for something that is like Game of Thrones, particularly the political intrigue, but with a smaller world (so fewer characters and motivations to keep in mind). Not too fussed about wars and battles, but happy for it to be totally high fantasy.

Essentially what I'm looking for is a book with Tywin Lannister as the main character haha

Machiavelli and Plato’s republic, OP

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The DPRK posted:

I, Claudius maybe

The actual closest thing to a Tywin Lannister story is Shogun but there are loads of characters to keep track of (and the Tywin character is the second protagonist, not the main one)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

regulargonzalez posted:

I, Claudius maybe

The actual closest thing to a Tywin Lannister story is Shogun but there are loads of characters to keep track of (and the Tywin character is the second protagonist, not the main one)

Maybe one of the Shogun sequels, Tai-Pan. Depends on how gung ho / horny you are for colonialism though. All those bo, so expect that.oks have massive "white dude writing about Asia in the 1980s" vibes

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I haven't read it yet but The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey has a lot of the political intrigue. Not sure about character count.

If you want Fantasy, The Assassin's Apprentice trilogy by Robin Hobb fits the bill alright for the first 2 books (the 3rd is a journey book). Not nearly as sprawling as GoT but also easier to keep track of.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The DPRK posted:

Wolf Hall might be just the thing, though Cromwell is a bit more of a Littlefinger than a Tywin, and far more sympathetic than either.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The DPRK posted:

as always the answer is the first law trilogy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The DPRK posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Accursed_Kings

quote:

American author George R. R. Martin called The Accursed Kings "the original game of thrones", citing Druon's novels as an inspiration for his own series A Song of Ice and Fire.[1][2][3][4]

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A book series I love is getting ready to release its third and final installment this month and the author is doing a give-away of the first book for the next few days.

Contellis Voss is a dystopian sci-fi mystery of a man from the 1990s waking up to find himself in a robot body inside of a moon-sized starship. It's written and self-published by a queer transman and is definitely worth checking out, especially when it's free for the next few days.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Is there any history of American conservation movements and the park system?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

evilpicard posted:

Is there any history of American conservation movements and the park system?

I'm sure there are lots. Looks like John Muir himself wrote one on the National Parks

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm looking for non-depressing light sci-fi or fantasy reads that are well written but aren't going to take a lot of brainpower to process, and with at least nominally happy endings - YA or adult both fine. Anything that fits the template of "team of conflicting strangers pulls together and in the end forms a new family" or "two enemies are forced to team up and fall in like/love" will probably land well, or anything similar to Martha Well's Murderbot novella, Becky Chamber's wayfarers trilogy, Catherynne Valente's Space Opera, Terry Pratchett in general, etc. But heavy priority on the 'easy to read/low brain power' requirements: while it doesn't have to be dumb, it can't be a China-Mieville-making-sweet-love-to-an-art-gallery-brochure type of read.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

coolusername posted:

I'm looking for non-depressing light sci-fi or fantasy reads that are well written but aren't going to take a lot of brainpower to process, and with at least nominally happy endings - YA or adult both fine. Anything that fits the template of "team of conflicting strangers pulls together and in the end forms a new family" or "two enemies are forced to team up and fall in like/love" will probably land well, or anything similar to Martha Well's Murderbot novella, Becky Chamber's wayfarers trilogy, Catherynne Valente's Space Opera, Terry Pratchett in general, etc. But heavy priority on the 'easy to read/low brain power' requirements: while it doesn't have to be dumb, it can't be a China-Mieville-making-sweet-love-to-an-art-gallery-brochure type of read.

Bridge of Birds is the go-to rec for this. Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin. If you want some comedy like Pratchett, The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin is nice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

coolusername posted:

You might like the Bobiverse series by Dennis E. Taylor, and Andy Weir’s latest, Project Hail Mary

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

coolusername posted:

The Belgariad is basically e-z YA LotR / Hero's Journey. Just don't read up on the author's private life.

And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy of course, but I'd be surprised if you haven't read it already.

The Stainless Steel Rat books are fun and breezy reads.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

Bridge of Birds is the go-to rec for this. Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin. If you want some comedy like Pratchett, The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin is nice.

Also The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt Evans.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

coolusername posted:

Last years Piranesi by Susanna Clarke is a fabulous fantasy novel that's both funny, uplifting, and a quick read. I liked it very much.

For a longer time investment, you may enjoy the Lioness books by Tamora Pierce or the So You Want To Be A Wizard books by Diane Duane.

Both YA but fun. Duane has a more "adult" book on that series featuring CAT WIZARDS which absolutely kicks rear end, called The Book of The Night With Moon.

It can also be read as a standalone.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 9, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

coolusername posted:

Merchanter's Luck, by C. J. Cherryh, and the extremely Cherryh-esque The Crystal Memory, by Stephen Leigh.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looking to learn more about chinese mythology, but I'd like to stick to fiction, ie telling a story in that world vs a dry breakdown of it if that makes sense.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

External Organs posted:

Last years Piranesi by Susanna Clarke is a fabulous fantasy novel that's both funny, uplifting, and a quick read. I liked it very much.

I just started this and maybe it's because I've only read it exhausted before bed, but I would not call it an easy read in the manner of that poster's request. It throws you right in.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Retro Futurist posted:

Looking to learn more about chinese mythology, but I'd like to stick to fiction, ie telling a story in that world vs a dry breakdown of it if that makes sense.

Journey to the West perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

coolusername posted:

Some of Jack Vance's books would probably fit. Showboat World would be a good one.