Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

One of my favorite movie-going memories was during Revenge of the Sith during the scene where Anakin kills the younglings, like half the theater broke up laughing at the punctuated lightsaber shwooom which prompted some guy near the front row to scream "SHUT UP EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP" through his tears

You know what, maybe I don't actually miss theaters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

One of my favorite movie-going memories was during Revenge of the Sith during the scene where Anakin kills the younglings, like half the theater broke up laughing at the punctuated lightsaber shwooom which prompted some guy near the front row to scream "SHUT UP EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP" through his tears

that's like, the reason theaters own

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

Serf posted:

that's like, the reason theaters own

E: For real - the viewing experience may be more comfortable at home, but you’ll never match the energy of a live audience during something like the original Lord of the Rings films, or the joy of taking a very inadvertently revealing survey (stoned af) because the studio badly wanted to understand what sort of freaks were paying money to go see Cats

LGD has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Sep 10, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if not for theaters we would never know who was eating beans

Serf
May 5, 2011

i miss theaters all the time. seriously thinking about taking the risk to see dune in a theater because of the screen but at the same time what's the point if there's no big crowd with a lot of energy? i can't believe i'm saying this but the last great movie experience i had was seeing endgame in a packed theater. even the dumbest poo poo became great because the crowd was hooting and hollering their asses off and that poo poo is infectious. the movie blows but a good crowd can make it great

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
reloaded and revolutions are both pretty bad. reloaded holds up better since its action scenes are better and it's easier to write set-up than resolution.

unfortunately, as much as i love the colonel sanders guy at the end, that scene is just terrible screenwriting on every level: too much exposition, no visual interest at all, crosscutting between an action scene that we've already seen once, ridiculous vocabulary, etc.

revolutions is one of the most anime movies ever made by westerners. unfortunately, a good chunk of the movie is spent in the boring real world, which the wachowskis never really fleshed out. it doesn't help that you're supposed to be rooting for a bunch of nobodies in zion that were never in any previous films

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Last movie I really watched in a packed theatre was Dragon Ball Super Broly and it was worth it, all the nerds gettin hype and laughing at the Ginyu Force cameo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i havent watched a movie in a theater in years and i hope i never have to waste my time doing it again. i might've for dune, if not for the pandemic. but now i wont bother

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Last movie I really watched in a packed theatre was Dragon Ball Super Broly and it was worth it, all the nerds gettin hype and laughing at the Ginyu Force cameo

God that movie owned. I hated the original Broly movie because I couldn't believe his origin was literally 'goes insane at one day old because he hears another baby crying nonstop'. The new one did it way better.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's hosed up to think that the Ginyu force cameo in Broly means they're all in their sixties or older when they show up on namek

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aglet56 posted:

reloaded and revolutions are both pretty bad. reloaded holds up better since its action scenes are better and it's easier to write set-up than resolution.

unfortunately, as much as i love the colonel sanders guy at the end, that scene is just terrible screenwriting on every level: too much exposition, no visual interest at all, crosscutting between an action scene that we've already seen once, ridiculous vocabulary, etc.

revolutions is one of the most anime movies ever made by westerners. unfortunately, a good chunk of the movie is spent in the boring real world, which the wachowskis never really fleshed out. it doesn't help that you're supposed to be rooting for a bunch of nobodies in zion that were never in any previous films

There's a lot of stuff that echoes scenes from the first movie but with much worse pacing.

It's funny, when the Matrix came out the same year as Episode I it was hailed as the new Star Wars, and then Reloaded comes around and does a pretty good job capturing the spirit of the Star Wars prequels.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Sep 10, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LGD posted:

E: For real - the viewing experience may be more comfortable at home, but you’ll never match the energy of a live audience during something like the original Lord of the Rings films, or the joy of taking a very inadvertently revealing survey (stoned af) because the studio badly wanted to understand what sort of freaks were paying money to go see Cats

yeah. we have this small-time local olde theater that has tables and couches along with seats and has an attached restaurant that has servers bring drinks and pizza (and it's pretty good 'za) to you. it's smallish and tech isn't very good but it's cozy and always a good crowd that makes it way more enjoyable. i generally don't enjoy the AMC Experience too much because i find those feel sterile even with fancy tech and almost zero reactions or anything happening.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1436191731150516237?s=20

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

gently caress theaters and I can't wait for covid to kill them for good and all.
Why the gently caress is everyone so loving eager to cram into a room with a bunch of other strangers who also had to take out mortgages to afford tickets to watch a movie you can't pause or rewind when some crinkledick shoves his face into a cellophane snack wrapper right in your ear while fifty babies spit in your mouth? The "energy" of a theater audience will never outweigh the endless laundry list of bullshit that theaters represent.

Gosh I can't wait to pay $30 for a ticket and $15 for a tiny bag of popcorn and a drink. The theater experience feels like it was designed by Elon Musk, and theater weirdos are his bazingas.

Edit: dollar theaters are loving awesome, however.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 10:47 on Sep 10, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
the Matrix sequels were pretty bad, but not gonna lie, I'm kinda hype for this one. it seems to follow the first one thematically and stylistically, so there's a chance it'll be good

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Organic Lube User posted:

theater weirdos are his bazingas.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I remember being like 12 and there being all this mystique around the first Matrix movie before it came out, and Kojima games hit that same level for me even as a guy in his 30s. The early Death Stranding trailers hit on the same level of those early Matrix trailers where all I could think was "I have no idea what the gently caress this is but I can't wait to see it."

It seems like this new movie is gonna do some fourth wall breaking because someone pointed out there's a shot where the first Matrix is playing on a projector screen and a bunch of guys with guns burst through it. If this is as insane as that Path of Neo game that's good enough for me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Not Loss but Gain

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol i hadn't seen this specific clip before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XuhVxpnIWg

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress theaters and I can't wait for covid to kill them for good and all.
Why the gently caress is everyone so loving eager to cram into a room with a bunch of other strangers who also had to take out mortgages to afford tickets to watch a movie you can't pause or rewind when some crinkledick shoves his face into a cellophane snack wrapper right in your ear while fifty babies spit in your mouth? The "energy" of a theater audience will never outweigh the endless laundry list of bullshit that theaters represent.

Gosh I can't wait to pay $30 for a ticket and $15 for a tiny bag of popcorn and a drink. The theater experience feels like it was designed by Elon Musk, and theater weirdos are his bazingas.

god this is pathetic lmao

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

indigi posted:

god this is pathetic lmao

Nah needing to pump virions into strangers to enjoy a film is pathetic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

LGD posted:

That kind of describes the Matrix sequels but not the prequels (which are wildly overambitious in the same way Civil War was a 70’s spy thriller)

And I rarely believe people making that defense because for some reason they want to talk about Star Wars far, far, far more often than films like Southland Tales

Southland Tales is a terrible movie and I'm very glad I watched it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StashAugustine posted:

Southland Tales is a terrible movie and I'm very glad I watched it

I clapped when the policeman said "flow my tears"

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Nah needing to pump virions into strangers to enjoy a film is pathetic.

epic crinkledickery good redditor

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm a pimp, and pimps don't commit suicide.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Darth Vader was C-3PO's dad AND had a girlfriend twice his age AND was a successful race car driver before going back to school to get his degree

You don't get that in Return of the Jedi or the 1997 remaster

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Sep 10, 2021

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

please take your argument to its logical conclusion and imagine what kinds of side-effects the extinction of cinemas and arthouses would have on what kinds of movies would be made

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this was the height of US culture. it's all been downhill since then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW2BYamUWME&t=178s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYB0lzoofc

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the end of the matrix was so loving cool. teen me was hyped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTL4qIIxg8A

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oscarthewilde posted:

please take your argument to its logical conclusion and imagine what kinds of side-effects the extinction of cinemas and arthouses would have on what kinds of movies would be made
The destruction of their natural habitat will result in the extinction of spectacle movies, leaving the world of film open to smaller, more intimate and introspective stories, designed for the home-viewing experience.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

oscarthewilde posted:

That is inevitable thanks to the profit motive. Feature-length movies are dying, episodic content released weekly is better for recurring revenue.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in the Matrix 4 Neo has forgotten the first trilogy because he can no longer log out of the matrix because landlines don't exist anymore

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1436022568557948933?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I like how in '99 our collective reaction to Keanu getting cast as neo was "...really? him?"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Man Musk posted:

Darth Vader was C-3PO's dad AND had a girlfriend twice his age AND was a successful race car driver before going back to school to get his degree

on paper this all sounds great.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Hairspray was great! What other movies did John Waters make?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Star Wars prequels became retroactively good relative to the Disney ones

nah the prequels are worse but they're worse in a more interesting way than the Disney ones are alright.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the sequels were worse because with 8 and 9 I was actively frustrated while watching them but with 1-3 I was just a little bored with bits of entertainment peppered throughout

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Hot take: Prequels are bad, but not interesting bad. It just has "Star Wars" in the title, and neckbeards can't talk about anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

the prequels are good, the sequels are bad. it just ain't the same with lucas' disdain for the fans of his own creation. the worst thing you can do for any fictional property is either give it to the fans or kevin j anderson