Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Even Samurai is kind of starved for Kenki until you hit 62, at least in my experience.

Yep. Leveling Samurai felt really bad to me until I hit that trait at 62.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep. Leveling Samurai felt really bad to me until I hit that trait at 62.

Yeah, it's really rough when you're getting all these fun new kenki abilities, but are starved for it all the time. You actually get positionals added to your combo finishers that give you extra kenki (but no extra damage), though I'm not sure how you'd ever notice them. Once you hi 62 and kenki is only a problem when it's in danger of capping, it's a lot more fun.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
In a week we'll have a better sense of systems and job changes for 6.0 anyway. Maybe they finish pushing basic AOE functionality down to level 18 or so for universal coverage, but they've been fairly adamant about not changing the fundamentals of downsync when asked about it over the years.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there anything specific I should be doing with my spare poetics? I've got all the ilvl 130 stuff and only just started HW so I think it's going to be a while before I can start getting the next set (?). For that matter, should I bother doing the roulettes at all? I'm capped at 60 so I don't need the xp, the gil reward seems minor, the drops (at least for now) aren't really useful for anything except company seals, and unless there's some great use for tomestones it just feels a bit pointless unless I just want the entertainment aspect of group content.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it's really rough when you're getting all these fun new kenki abilities, but are starved for it all the time. You actually get positionals added to your combo finishers that give you extra kenki (but no extra damage), though I'm not sure how you'd ever notice them. Once you hi 62 and kenki is only a problem when it's in danger of capping, it's a lot more fun.

But you don't get most of your kenki dumping skills until after that? Prior to 60 you only regularly need to make sure you have 20 kenki for each midare/higanbana and you're good.

The fact that they sneak a positional onto two of your combo finishers at 52 is bad though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Deformed Church posted:

Is there anything specific I should be doing with my spare poetics? I've got all the ilvl 130 stuff and only just started HW so I think it's going to be a while before I can start getting the next set (?). For that matter, should I bother doing the roulettes at all? I'm capped at 60 so I don't need the xp, the gil reward seems minor, the drops (at least for now) aren't really useful for anything except company seals, and unless there's some great use for tomestones it just feels a bit pointless unless I just want the entertainment aspect of group content.

Buy equipment for another class that you want to play.

If you're capped at 60, there isn't really a reason to do roulettes, no. But the poetics grind is almost endless, with so many different classes, and the fact that you need to spend for a new set of gear at the end of every expansion.

You can also spend it on upgrade items for the HW relic weapon, if you're really committed to one class. That costs a lot of poetics, it's the "unidentified" materials and I think the aether oil and singing clusters. That relic is pretty easy to do, it only costs a lot of poetics and requires you to do a bunch of content in between. No annoying FATE grinds, or at least not very intense ones.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
They really need to just use GNB as a template for all non-healers: 123 combo, an ogcd, dps buff, resource generator and spender, and an aoe all by 30.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mainwaring posted:

But you don't get most of your kenki dumping skills until after that? Prior to 60 you only regularly need to make sure you have 20 kenki for each midare/higanbana and you're good.

The fact that they sneak a positional onto two of your combo finishers at 52 is bad though.

You get Gyoten and Yaten and basically can never afford to use them (not that they're that great anyway). And even before that the way the math works out is that until 62 you have to skip the occasional midare because you won't have enough Kenki for all of them and you definitely can't miss any higanbanas. It's one of the most annoying levelling ranges of any class imo.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Every expansion has led to a gradual increase on lower level job functionality and kits over time anyway, so it's reasonably safe to assume a continuation of that trend.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you don't wanna buy new equipment for other classes with poetics, there are some orchestrion rolls you can spend your extras on. Change the display on Rowena's Representative to Combat Supplies > Materials. Having a stack of poetics ready to go when you get to HW's endgame will be nice too.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Xerophyte posted:

Cure 3 is less efficient than Afflatus Rapture, and heals for less than Medica 2 (or Asylum) at a higher MP cost. It's useful if, and only if:
- everyone can stack, and does so.
- you have no lilies, or Rapture is too little healing and would kill people
- waiting for Medica 2 ticks would kill people.

I definitely wouldn't bin it, but it's fair to say that all this almost never happens in any content. FF14 has very few situations with rapid instances of high but healable damage even at the high end. Notably: there is literally not a single mechanic in any ShB Extreme where you under normal circumstances would want to use Cure 3, although you might have to if things go sideways or if you're solo healing. There are I think 3 mechanics in ShB Savage where I've intentionally used Cure 3: Quietus in E2S and E12S and Tumult + dots in E4S.

Cure 3 is not very efficient compared to many of your other tools. It will save your bacon when doing Orbonne with the other healer disconnected and stuff like that but under normal circumstances your order of preference is first Asylum or Rapture, then Medica 2, then Cure 3 only if those aren't enough, even if the party is stacked.

spoilers for EX shadowbringers fights are required to defend my point

the first 30 seconds of SOS ex is two mechanics, first is reduce the entire party to 1hp, second is apply doom that is cleared upon fullheal. dealing with that using asylum, slowcast medica 2 and assize and confession isn't enough, you will absolutely want to be casting cure 3 in this scenario. it's in the first 30 seconds of the fight, so i don't even think you get a lily when it hits. this is just one example of where cure 3 is especially useful.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Frida Call Me posted:

spoilers for EX shadowbringers fights are required to defend my point

the first 30 seconds of SOS ex is two mechanics, first is reduce the entire party to 1hp, second is apply doom that is cleared upon fullheal. dealing with that using asylum, slowcast medica 2 and assize and confession isn't enough, you will absolutely want to be casting cure 3 in this scenario. it's in the first 30 seconds of the fight, so i don't even think you get a lily when it hits. this is just one example of where cure 3 is especially useful.

Doom effects that require you heal people to full are certainly one of niche cases where Cure 3 can be very useful, sure. As I said, it's useful precisely when you have no lilies, and you don't have time to wait for M2 ticks.

When they happen at the start of fights you can and generally should sort them with ogcds since both healers will have all of theirs up, though. That example in particular gives you a generous 12 seconds Doom during with you need to heal everyone up so you don't have much need to C3, although it can be useful if you're not prepared.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cure III does feel like something that should be scrapped or retooled even if it isn't as technically useless as, say, Undraw.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chillgamesh posted:

Cure III does feel like something that should be scrapped or retooled even if it isn't as technically useless as, say, Undraw.

This is kind of a problem with healers in general. They get no concrete benefit from using all their kits to the fullest for the vast majority of content, where tanks and dps do, then for a slim amount of time in early prog savage and if you break into ultimate, suddenly you DO need to use everything to the max.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Xerophyte posted:

Doom effects that require you heal people to full are certainly one of niche cases where Cure 3 can be very useful, sure. As I said, it's useful precisely when you have no lilies, and you don't have time to wait for M2 ticks.

When they happen at the start of fights you can and generally should sort them with ogcds since both healers will have all of theirs up, though. That example in particular gives you a generous 12 seconds Doom during with you need to heal everyone up so you don't have much need to C3, although it can be useful if you're not prepared.

many DF gwibber farming groups run solo healer for all of the extreme trials, so relying on your co-healer that doesn't exist isn't gonna help. also speaking as someone who did plenty of PF as a WHM, relying on your existing co-healer is folly 50% of the time.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Reading the discussion about jobs and abilities and stuff the last page or so made me realize that bard just kinda...doesn't do the whole move combo thing. Maybe that's why I bounced so incredibly hard off marauder, I'm sure it gets more fun later when you have more tools to play with but it was insanely jarring going from the ability juggling I'm doing now with level 55 bard to the beginning of that class.

It's honestly really fun to me, do any other classes have weird reactionary playstyles like bards do? I heard astrologian has some similar thinking on your feet stuff going on and I'm looking forward to that but I'm wondering if I missed anything else.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Frida Call Me posted:

many DF gwibber farming groups run solo healer for all of the extreme trials, so relying on your co-healer that doesn't exist isn't gonna help. also speaking as someone who did plenty of PF as a WHM, relying on your existing co-healer is folly 50% of the time.

Sure! I am not saying that Cure 3 is bad and you should never use it, situations where "lots of immediate healing" is the right choice happen. I am saying it is very niche and in the majority of situations your other heals are a better choice even when the party is properly stack up, either because they have better action economy (Afflatus Rapture & Asylum) or because they heal more for less mana (Medica 2 & Asylum).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wrist Watch posted:

Reading the discussion about jobs and abilities and stuff the last page or so made me realize that bard just kinda...doesn't do the whole move combo thing. Maybe that's why I bounced so incredibly hard off marauder, I'm sure it gets more fun later when you have more tools to play with but it was insanely jarring going from the ability juggling I'm doing now with level 55 bard to the beginning of that class.

It's honestly really fun to me, do any other classes have weird reactionary playstyles like bards do? I heard astrologian has some similar thinking on your feet stuff going on and I'm looking forward to that but I'm wondering if I missed anything else.

Dancer might be up your alley. it has a basic 1--2 combo but 1 can proc 3 and 2 can proc 4 (and then 3 and 4 can proc feathers to use an oGCD ability) so there's reacting to what comes up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Dancer is probably the biggest one since they have a lot of potential procs and the order of the buttons you press while dancing is random.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't call any job really reactionary, but only melee jobs and Mechanist typically have a solid 1-2-3 repeat going on. A couple other jobs do have some procs which can change the flow of things.

Black Mage is about fitting a certain number of casts into a timer and balancing your MP before switching to regen your MP.
Dancer has lots of procs - they have a 1-2 combo that can proc a 3 or 4 ability, and those can proc a resource, which when used can proc an ability. Fairly reactionary I guess.
Red Mage has to work on two lines of spells to get their Mana gauge filled up. They do have some procs which change what spell they can open with.
I don't know Summoner but they have stuff going on.
Healers are 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 9, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wrist Watch posted:

Dancer, kinda? It’s basically just reacting to the random procs you get while running into melee every so often to perform a quick combo for your dances.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thanks all, will try out dancer once I unlock it. Good to know!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've been hammering the story hard and fully completed Heavensward. Also started into Stormblood and figured I would take a step back and try a new job. I love tanking, and I love Dark Knight, but I wanted to try something else so I didn't burn out. Decided to go for SAM and boy am I loving this class even if I gently caress up my rotation all the time when trying to build up towards that huge Midare Setsugekka

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skypie posted:

I've been hammering the story hard and fully completed Heavensward. Also started into Stormblood and figured I would take a step back and try a new job. I love tanking, and I love Dark Knight, but I wanted to try something else so I didn't burn out. Decided to go for SAM and boy am I loving this class even if I gently caress up my rotation all the time when trying to build up towards that huge Midare Setsugekka

Yeah the SAM combo is easy to mess up. It's a lot like ninja mudras where you have to think about it a lot when you first get it, but eventually it's all muscle memory. Work on connecting the specific stickers to the different combos in your head, that helps a lot with orienting yourself if your combo gets interrupted by the boss jumping away or whatever.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, my SAM hotbar setup is:

1 Single-target combo starter
2 Red combo attack boost
3 Red combo finisher
4 Green(?) combo attack speed boost
5 Green Combo finisher
6 Blue combo finisher
7 AoE combo starter
8 Red AoE finisher
9 Blue AoE finisher
= Iaijutsu

Still trying to get a feel for what to slot into the last couple that I have free, though (I use CTRL = for the self buff)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That seems like way too far to reach, imo.

Mine is like
1 - Combo starter
2 - Moon combo 1
Shift + 2 - Moon combo 2
3 - Flower combo 1
Shift + 3 - Flower combo 2
4 - Snow combo
F - AOE starter
G - Moon AOE
Shift + F - Flower AOE

Iaijustsu is on a special extra button I have on my mouse, so I don't really have good advice for that one. I've also got buttons I use a lot on like Q and E, and the forward and backward buttons on my mouse (usually the gap closer and backstep).

You want to reserve like the higher numbers on the bar for stuff you're not going to hit very often.

e: Just for the heck of it, here's a screenshot!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

You want to reserve like the higher numbers on the bar for stuff you're not going to hit very often.

Even better, rebind everything to a key near wasd

My hotbars are:

Q1234VERTF

With the alt+ and shift+ versions above the first. The only other hotkeyed abilities I have are mount and sprint, which are on another generic bar. Yes I only use 30 buttons and if a class has more too bad :colbert: I don't use bloodbath or feint on ninja...

acumen fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 10, 2021

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I spread my basic SAM combos across my basic bar and shift bar.

1 -> Shift+1 : Top sticker combo, because it goes up (and is only two steps)
1 -> 2 -> 3 : Speed buff/right side sticker combo, ends in a side positional because it flows to the side
1 -> Shift+2 -> Shift+3 : Damage buff/left side sticker combo, ends in a rear positional because it... kinda circles around to the rear? Look memory is spacial, don't judge okay
Shift+4 -> 4 : Kaiten to Iajutsu
I've got my kenki dumps on 5 and Shift+5. Shinten on 5, Senei on Shift+5
E : Meikyo Shisui
Shift+E : Ikishoten
Q : Tsubame
Shift+Q : Shoha
Mouse3 : True North
Shift+Mouse3 : Third Eye

And I'll be honest, I just click my aoe skills. SAM takes like 7 GCDs single target before they even start into their aoe skills, it's real slow from a cold start.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Speaking of the shift bar people are talking about, how do I get it? My second hotbar is using ctrl and I couldn't see anything in the options to change that and none of the other hotbars seemed to have a key associated with them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Speaking of the shift bar people are talking about, how do I get it? My second hotbar is using ctrl and I couldn't see anything in the options to change that and none of the other hotbars seemed to have a key associated with them.

Somewhere in the depth of the menus where you assign keyboard shortcuts you can assign them to any hotbar slot. (Doesn't have to be shift+number, can be anything).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ShootaBoy posted:

I don't think it's any of them by default, which is weird, but you can just go change the bindings. That side bar for me is just #3, with all the bindings changed, and the shift bar #2, where I changed it all from ctrl to shift.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can use Shift, Ctrl and Alt as modifiers for any keybind. Just make sure you don't have any of the modifiers + movement keys bound. I think Alt + A by default opens Alliance Chat, which can cause problems if you are trying to do Alt + whatever while moving.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

after some practice you realize the dps and healer can often have a single mob that got away from you chasing them, and be OK; the damage usually isn't that fast. so rather than slow down to try to get hold of them again I like to just keep moving and finish the pull, then either 'voke the mob, or meet up with the pursued party member in question so their pursuer joins the clump and gets AOEd

As a summoner I have lots of instant cast spells (at least in a 60+ dungeon) so I usually apply dots on the first enemy I see, then spread them to other enemies as the tank pulls things, and hit moving targets as I chase them. This often results in one or two enemies attacking me and the solution is to run them through the tank when the tank finally stops moving.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I heal with a controller. It actually works pretty well.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hotbars don't have modifier keys, hotbar buttons have keybinds which can include modifiers. If you really wanted to, you could have 1, shift-1, alt-1 and ctrl-1 all on the same hotbar

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You can really go wild with modifier keys for your hotbars

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I ruined myself by playing Black Mage first and everything else feels too fast paced to me.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Tempest_56 posted:

On the buttons thing, this is actually one of my biggest problems with the game so far. On one hand, I get why they introduce mechanics and buttons and such gradually to help you learn. On the other, the pace makes it really difficult to get a feel for a job - central mechanics are still showing up post-50 and for a casual player that's weeks in.

is the default layout still 2 hotbars? kb/m really wants 3 with the third bound to either shift or alt, and maybe also vertical sidebar for stuff like mounts, LB, raid markers, sort armory macro, etc.

Peachfart posted:

I heal with a controller. It actually works pretty well.

half my raid group and a lot of world-first people use controller, and the only real complaint I see from controller players is how hard it is for healers to target people in other groups in 24mans.

I went to 2018 fanfest and all the terminals were PC with a USB controller and a mouse with 2 side buttons, and they gave you 10 minutes to set up your hotbars and keybinds before starting the instance.

Griz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 10, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Griz posted:

is the default layout still 2 hotbars? kb/m really wants 3 with the third bound to either shift or alt, and maybe also vertical sidebar for stuff like mounts, LB, raid markers, sort armory macro, etc.

I think default is 3, though some jobs can squeeze by with 2. I use 4, though, since I've got a shared bar that has sprint, mount, LB, food, gysahl greens, return and teleport. (There's 3 other bars I use, but those are all misc. stuff like Jobs and menus.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Griz posted:

That's basically how I've got mine set out, yeah. Three horizontals for 1-9, ctrl-1-9 and alt-1-9, with a sidebar for the semi-common stuff like mounts.

I will say I'm drat impressed by how flexible the UI editor is in this game.