Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Escape From Noise posted:

I have some really bad news for you about the brewing industry...

Well I have a "dumb poo poo your work does" story then that isn't about my work. I was chatting with one of the brewers at Cascade Brewing here one day and he was saying how they let him make a one-off beer that used brettanomyces instead of their standard yeast/bacteria concoction. The dang stuff jumped from barrel to barrel and spread to all of their brewing equipment, infecting everything they had. He said they actually burned some of their equipment to get rid of it and then swore off of ever allowing anyone use brettanomyces in their brewhouse again.

I think The Bruery had the same problem at some point and ended up building an entirely separate facility to brew or age some of their beers so it stopped infecting their other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

Well I have a "dumb poo poo your work does" story then that isn't about my work. I was chatting with one of the brewers at Cascade Brewing here one day and he was saying how they let him make a one-off beer that used brettanomyces instead of their standard yeast/bacteria concoction. The dang stuff jumped from barrel to barrel and spread to all of their brewing equipment, infecting everything they had. He said they actually burned some of their equipment to get rid of it and then swore off of ever allowing anyone use brettanomyces in their brewhouse again.

I think The Bruery had the same problem at some point and ended up building an entirely separate facility to brew or age some of their beers so it stopped infecting their other stuff.

I'm sorta surprised Brett would be a bigger problem than lacto and pedio but that's not my area of expertise (the guy who complained about "lawlessness" destroying his old company was the former owner of Cascade.) But I dunno. That stuff is tricky.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Wicked Weed in Asheville, NC had a separate "funkatorium" for their weird poo poo -- I thought that was standard practice in general, just to avoid cross contamination.

there was a massive local backlash when they sold out to AB, but they've got a prime real estate restaurant. no idea how they fared during covid but tourists did not give a poo poo about them no longer being independent.

fascinating stories -- thank you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lol. The head of Oregon Brewer's Fest blamed the recent closing of the Portland Brewing Company that he helped found before it was sold off to a Costa Rican company years earlier on lawlessness and anarchy in the city. I'm sure the fact that they were already largely irrelevant when I moved Portland for college in 2006 has nothing to do with any of that.

I bet he was on local regressive radio station or Fox News talking about "the new increase in wages has me closing my biz, please ignore the filing dates or crimes I may have commited"

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Lol. The head of Oregon Brewer's Fest blamed the recent closing of the Portland Brewing Company that he helped found before it was sold off to a Costa Rican company years earlier on lawlessness and anarchy in the city. I'm sure the fact that they were already largely irrelevant when I moved Portland for college in 2006 has nothing to do with any of that.

The only Portland area brewery I was fine with seeing go away was Tugboat because their beer smelled and tasted like B.O.

Seriously. It did. Your products shouldn't taste like hot trash rotting out in the sun, IMO.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I'm sorta surprised Brett would be a bigger problem than lacto and pedio but that's not my area of expertise (the guy who complained about "lawlessness" destroying his old company was the former owner of Cascade.) But I dunno. That stuff is tricky.
Bacteria is easily taken care of by any proven CIP process. Right cleaner, right equipment, and you'll get clean. Brett (and other wild yeasts) can go into a dormant phase that basically hardens it against even caustics and bleaches so even a proven, fully wetted, fully contacted CIP can leave it living in pockets enough to come out of dormancy and colonize. Anything vaguely soft needs replaced and it's going to call out any pitting (that could be a problem for bacteria/screwing up your CIP anyway) much more than bacteria.

E. It's not impossible to share a building with Brett like some brewers want you to believe but it's so hard they are kind of right - especially when you're buying second hand dairy equipment that is probably being auctioned off because it can't do reliable CIP anymore.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 9, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sick coworker who might or might not have covid (and came into work anyway!! and wasn't sent home!!) stole an absent worker's jacket because "I'm cold" and promptly coughed up a storm into the jacket sleeve more than once.

I'm going to find the goddamn key for my cabinet lock one of these days

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lol I rejected one offer wholesale and sent a counter offer to another place and then had five more requests for interviews at other places before they've returned other offers.

Also my current boss just tried to sell me the company. No thanks buddy, that ship sailed a year ago when I offered. It's cursed now.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sick coworker who might or might not have covid (and came into work anyway!! and wasn't sent home!!) stole an absent worker's jacket because "I'm cold" and promptly coughed up a storm into the jacket sleeve more than once.

work jacket or personal jacket? what an rear end in a top hat.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Workaday Wizard posted:

work jacket or personal jacket? what an rear end in a top hat.

Personal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

What a puckered rear end in a top hat

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i had two interviews scheduled yesterday. the first was virtual, the second was in person. really wanted the first one and the other one was backup.

killed the first interview, basically got an offer on the spot and when she asked what i wanted she balked at the number. told her i had one offer (lie) and one more interview and she said she would see what she could do.

called me back as i was pulling into the place for the second interview and offered me 5k past what I asked for. took it and drove home screeching like a banshee.

so basically i just spent the last 18 months smoking weed and playing video games while being paid by the poo poo government and then negotiated the highest salary of my life the day i got my last dua check.

no dumb bullshit in this, but if my sadbrains weed addled goony rear end can negotiate something worth a poo poo you can too.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Critical posted:

i had two interviews scheduled yesterday. the first was virtual, the second was in person. really wanted the first one and the other one was backup.

killed the first interview, basically got an offer on the spot and when she asked what i wanted she balked at the number. told her i had one offer (lie) and one more interview and she said she would see what she could do.

called me back as i was pulling into the place for the second interview and offered me 5k past what I asked for. took it and drove home screeching like a banshee.

so basically i just spent the last 18 months smoking weed and playing video games while being paid by the poo poo government and then negotiated the highest salary of my life the day i got my last dua check.

no dumb bullshit in this, but if my sadbrains weed addled goony rear end can negotiate something worth a poo poo you can too.

Get that paper, comrade.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

zedprime posted:

Bacteria is easily taken care of by any proven CIP process. Right cleaner, right equipment, and you'll get clean. Brett (and other wild yeasts) can go into a dormant phase that basically hardens it against even caustics and bleaches so even a proven, fully wetted, fully contacted CIP can leave it living in pockets enough to come out of dormancy and colonize. Anything vaguely soft needs replaced and it's going to call out any pitting (that could be a problem for bacteria/screwing up your CIP anyway) much more than bacteria.

E. It's not impossible to share a building with Brett like some brewers want you to believe but it's so hard they are kind of right - especially when you're buying second hand dairy equipment that is probably being auctioned off because it can't do reliable CIP anymore.

Yeah, that's fair. I've never really worked with a true brett, just the strain that's not a true Brett at the place I worked in Seattle. I've only really used lacto in kettle sours, so killed it's development with the boil. I guess I just thought it wouldn't be a huge issue with lacto or whatever at Cascade's sour facility, but now that I think about it, if their beers are all a lacto culture, introducing brett to one beer would mean introducing it to all of them.

I love sours and would love a chance to work on making them someday, but you either need to make just nothing but that style, or have a separate facility and I haven't had a chance to do so.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Critical posted:

gently caress yeah, I'm proud of you

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Critical posted:

Awesome!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Critical posted:

:yotj:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kntfkr posted:

My company is still freaking out about cost discrepancies and packaging flubs on items that they refuse to create BOMs for "BECAUSE WE MADE THIS YEARS AGO, THE FACTORY SHOULD KNOW." I'd take the trouble to outline a process they should follow but I don't get paid enough and the last time I spoke out of turn to tell the CEO she needed to put the company's address on packaging because laws I almost got fired.

I spent part of this week trying to explain to management that our designers hosed up and failed to specify that a serial number needed to be put on the label for a cable harness. So for the last few days people are demanding I ship finished product that meets all of our design requirements back to the vendor to be relabled, something we could do on site. Notably, the vendor didn't do anything wrong, they labeled the parts TO OUR SPECIFICATIONS, but we've decided that we want to change it now that someone realized we hosed up and put the onus on the vendor to fix our mistake.

Empty Sandwich posted:

Wicked Weed in Asheville, NC had a separate "funkatorium" for their weird poo poo -- I thought that was standard practice in general, just to avoid cross contamination.

Two Roads Brewing bought a decommissioned milk truck to be a parking lot based fermentation tank for their Gose series. They later ended up building a new facility for their sours, but the idea of salty sour beer coming out of a giant hose attached to a tanker truck is a visual I can't get out of my head.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Lazyfire posted:

Two Roads Brewing bought a decommissioned milk truck to be a parking lot based fermentation tank for their Gose series. They later ended up building a new facility for their sours, but the idea of salty sour beer coming out of a giant hose attached to a tanker truck is a visual I can't get out of my head.

loving amazing

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

A few breweries produce their wort in the main facility and then transport it to their barrel warehouse or whatever in a tanker for sour/wild ales.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

When I got to that job the boss asked what we needed to cut down on brewing times. I said immediately a malt mill and a hot water tank would really save us time. He said we couldn't get a hot water tank because then we'd have to get rid of the tiny pub system an we can't do that! We need it for pilot batches! Because a 600 liter brewery that makes super basic styles needs a pilot system for some reason? He said he'd get a mill. What with none being produced in Japan it took four months to arrive, so it didn't get there until a few weeks after I'd left. For a while I wasn't sure if he'd actually bought the thing and had just said he did in order to placate me, my coworker said he did that sometimes, but I got confirmation from the guy I know at the company that he bought the mill from that he had ordered one.

Anyways, a few weeks ago my coworker and I were texting and he told me that the mill had arrived to the brewery by truck, and my boss refused to pay the unloading/setup fee that I'm sure the company told him about, and instead frantically started texting everyone that they needed to show up to work on their day off to help unload the thing. Nobody came down to help, not even the manager who usually bends over backwards for him, and he sent the truck driver off with the mill because he was too cheap to pay the unloading fee. Also I'm sure he made the driver wait the whole time and treated them like garbage.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Catastrophe posted:

10 Barrel Brewing had to recall an entire season's worth of their "Swill" radler beer because it wasn't quite finished fermenting yet and bottles were exploding on customers. 10 Barrel sucks dong anyway, though.

I'm surprised this isn't happening more often now that every ex-footballer and his dog is setting up their own "boutique" "craft" brewery in a shed on their hobby farm in the tourist region.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Critical posted:

gently caress yeah, nice!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I'm surprised this isn't happening more often now that every ex-footballer and his dog is setting up their own "boutique" "craft" brewery in a shed on their hobby farm in the tourist region.

If they get into sour/wild ales it will. My friend up in Vermont had a story about a small place that fermented in plastic barrels that had that issue and had to recall a bunch.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just watched someone getting completely torn down by Girlboss Karen during yet another false fire alarm for not having his access card on him. Last time we were also chastised for not picking up our safety glasses as we left the office. For a site of a few hundred people with nearly 50 vacancies you'd think they'd try and be a bit nicer to their staff

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Marmaduke! posted:

Just watched someone getting completely torn down by Girlboss Karen during yet another false fire alarm for not having his access card on him. Last time we were also chastised for not picking up our safety glasses as we left the office. For a site of a few hundred people with nearly 50 vacancies you'd think they'd try and be a bit nicer to their staff

The cause for those 50 vacancies is still working there and refuses to learn

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Got told that the team I’m on isn’t going to get any resources because leadership don’t like the team name.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Got told that the team I’m on isn’t going to get any resources because leadership don’t like the team name.

To be fair you were asking for it when you named the team "Guillotine Gurus"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

No, you see you're supposed to be grateful to the job creators for continuing to give you the dignity of work. Humiliation is part of the price is proles pay.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The Wildcats?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

champagne posting posted:

The cause for those 50 vacancies is still working there and refuses to learn

The mandatory Sunday overtime is also leading to fewer hours being worked due to people leaving and getting signed off from stress. Strong "beatings will continue until morale improves" vibes.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Armitag3 posted:

To be fair you were asking for it when you named the team "Guillotine Gurus"

My team was once asked to come up with a name for our team, only to be told no. We were then asked to come up with a different name, only to be told no again.

This continued until a manage said "since you can't agree on a name we'll just name you team cyan". I hope that guy rots

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SkyeAuroline posted:

You can get them on eBay for about $3.

If you can't find the key number on the lock itself, just buy a whole new lock for about $5.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

champagne posting posted:

My team was once asked to come up with a name for our team, only to be told no. We were then asked to come up with a different name, only to be told no again.

This continued until a manage said "since you can't agree on a name we'll just name you team cyan". I hope that guy rots

The Cyanciders.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

At least you got colors. We went ultra fancy with team names like "Team 1", "Team 2".

loving hate this place

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Team Name: The Fighting Mongooses

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

This is a really well known issue though? A
Like any non total dipshit Brewer is going to know this. Still very very funny though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

What a puckered rear end in a top hat

Last followup: guess who got a positive COVID test today and is unvaccinated so they don't "upset" their sister by getting it.

This has been a long goddamn week

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Does this mean you've been exposed as well? Every American who gets sick at work should be able to sue the poo poo out of their employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

Does this mean you've been exposed as well? Every American who gets sick at work should be able to sue the poo poo out of their employer.

I was outside of a six foot radius of their desk (...by a matter of inches) so it was deemed unnecessary to even tell me that she tested positive. I only found out because the next closest person was immediately sent home to quarantine. Does this mean I'm exposed? Probably! Do I get to quarantine at home? Nope!