Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

But bloodborne is the most moody and aesthetic one they've done, with the best setting I think, though at least 2 of Sekiros zones are in the running for best souls zone

yeah the Bodhisattva Valley is one of the most gorgeous places i've ever been in a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sekiro runs at 60 FPS (or even 144 FPS with an unlocker) on PC and unfortunately that matters more than any amount of improvements in terms of higher-level gameplay systems

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like the pattern they've settled into of alternating between shield/no shield games. Lets you save time and money skipping the boring ones without going through too long a drought

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like the pattern they've settled into of alternating between shield/no shield games. Lets you save time and money skipping the boring ones without going through too long a drought

:thunk:

DeS - no shield game
DS - no shield game
DS2 - no shield game
BB - no shield game
DS3 - no shield game
Sek - no shield game
ER - no shield game

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope Elden Ring has the cool step dodge like Sekiro and Bloodborne, the roll is so goofy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hatty posted:

I hope Elden Ring has the cool step dodge like Sekiro and Bloodborne, the roll is so goofy

i hope it has the roll animation but the speed and other properties of a Sekiro/Bloodborne dodge

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

DeS - no shield game
DS - no shield game
DS2 - no shield game
BB - no shield game
DS3 - no shield game
Sek - no shield game
ER - no shield game

:sickos:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

DeS - no shield game
DS - no shield game
DS2 - no shield game
BB - no shield game
DS3 - no shield game
Sek - no shield game
ER - no shield game

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like to wear the grass shield. it smell good

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sekiro dodge has like no iframes so it's only ever for repositioning against grabs and some annoying attacks that have their posture weighted against you.

And Sekiro has two shields: the loaded umbrella, and your sword. The first can trivialize some moves but costs quicksilver bullets. The latter is plenty strong against most moves, but only really works when you tab block in time to the enemy's attacks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the dodge has six or seven i-frames (sources differ and idk which to trust exactly), which objectively speaking is tons and more than capable of phasing through most attacks. it's just that the sekiro deflect has like a loving 30-frame window unless you spam it

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Saying the Sekiro deflect is a shield is like saying the Bloodborne guns are a shield.

Granted, in Sekiro you can just hold down the block button and that is basically a shield.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The bloodborne guns are a shield

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think Sekiro and bloodborne are both about as good as eachother, aka GOATs.
But I've played thru bloodborne like 4 times now and only finished Sekiro once.

Sekiro is a lot more refined though and I think I might prefer the combat once you figure it out it's just a lot less forgiving. There's a lot in bloodborne that is rough around the edges by comparison.
The way I ended up playing was planting my feet and relentlessly attacking and parrying and in any window using the stamina regen double hand sword swing

But bloodborne is the most moody and aesthetic one they've done, with the best setting I think, though at least 2 of Sekiros zones are in the running for best souls zone

Similar position for me. I much prefer BB and Sekiro to the DS games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the gun is not a shield lmao. the blood you bathe in from dismembered limbs is a shield

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the hyper armor weapon art will be my shield. not the buff one. the other one

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

two-handing ludwig's blade and just roflstomping everything is a shield

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

playing sekiro made me realize how loving weird it is that the souls games are full of mans with swords but there's no actual swordplay in them

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyway all Souls games force you into a dynamic balance of offense and defense, calling on you to make the right response to the enemy's move. Enemies only have a brief vulnerability period between their actions, rather than the much longer vulnerability period of other games.

Souls is about good positioning and iframing through enemy attacks, and punishing with a few hits.

Sekiro is much less about positioning, and more about deflecting in rhythm to enemy attacks. You can still punish the enemy, but both aspects of it: the attacking and the deflecting, both effectively bring down the enemy's health.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

EightFlyingCars posted:

playing sekiro made me realize how loving weird it is that the souls games are full of mans with swords but there's no actual swordplay in them

Strangely enough, I find actually hitting enemies with swords more fun in Dark Souls than Sekiro. There's a real tactile response in dealing health damage to the enemy. The sword in Sekiro, outside of deathblows, feels utterly anemic because the real health bar is their posture meter. Hitting them just drains their bar a fraction and slows down their posture recovery.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Strangely enough, I find actually hitting enemies with swords more fun in Dark Souls than Sekiro. There's a real tactile response in dealing health damage to the enemy. The sword in Sekiro, outside of deathblows, feels utterly anemic because the real health bar is their posture meter. Hitting them just drains their bar a fraction and slows down their posture recovery.

i mean maybe but then they get staggered and that kick rear end sting plays when you stab a jerk right in the neck so it balances out

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like how every post of Cowcasters about why bloodborne is good are good and true.

Also because of playing Bloodborne first I never used a shield, I would just have the grass crest one on my back through runs keeping my stamina topped up while I launched into enemies with my massive clubs and dual sellswords.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My problem with BB's look is the same as my problem with DS3. There's too much detail and the visuals get swamped in it. DS1 is clean without being unintentionally ugly, and uses its lighting effectively to often give the game a real painterly feeling.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Dabir posted:

My problem with BB's look is the same as my problem with DS3. There's too much detail and the visuals get swamped in it. DS1 is clean without being unintentionally ugly, and uses its lighting effectively to often give the game a real painterly feeling.

I actually think for a similar reason, that DeS original release will hold up for a long time bc the texture from those early ps3 games are soo flat and so big that it almost becomes stylized

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
IDK I kind of agree but on the other hand I've always thought most of DS1 Anor Londo outside of the church with the painting looks ugly because the the textures are too simple and bland. Some of the rooms are alright but especially the facades are bleh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

look i said good bloodborne posting is welcome...not bad bloodborne posting

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sekiro combat is enjoyable and right up my alley once you master it, but I didn't care for the setting or lore much at all.

BB, I'm still very early in but I haven't seen anything to make me understand why you all go nuts over it, graphics/framerate aside.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
You ppl who think bloodborne looks bad clearly havent got enough insight

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If there's something Bloodborne and DS3 and Sekiro have really done with their next gen graphics is make generic wall textures not look like a complete eyesore. Even Bloodborne, with 30fps and some muddy textures, has great normal mapping.

The camera is still oftentimes awful. God I just fought Long Shadow Longswordsman in the prison cell and I couldn't identify half his attacks because the camera would jam itself between me and the wall and aim at someone right on top of me. And Sekiro is actually one of the better cameras in the Soulsborne series, because it makes alot of environmental objects turn transparent when the camera clips through them. I just hope they do the same with the rest of the geometry.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been going over Sekiro and Bloodborne in my mind these last few days. I think....I might like Sekiro the very most.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Insurrectionist posted:

IDK I kind of agree but on the other hand I've always thought most of DS1 Anor Londo outside of the church with the painting looks ugly because the the textures are too simple and bland. Some of the rooms are alright but especially the facades are bleh.

Still lol at little forest bit between Archives and crystal caves which looks like a PS2 game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VideoGames posted:

Been going over Sekiro and Bloodborne in my mind these last few days. I think....I might like Sekiro the very most.

Well the thing about Sekiro is that it's a loving masterpiece, which was an exceptionally good choice on FROM's part :hai:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sekiro seems fantastic but the combat never clicked for me and practicing it wasn't fun at all. If I wanted parryspam I'd play Metal Gear RR or something along those lines. Not a huge fan of how they give you a practice dummy but he's so basic you can't learn poo poo from him because every other thing in the game is more dangerous. Stealth is useful but also hinders learning since you can just stealth kill most enemies instead of fighting them if you find them annoying.

It's really weird because I like everything else about the game but there's little point to playing a Fromsoft game if you don't like the combat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Brandfarlig posted:

Sekiro seems fantastic but the combat never clicked for me and practicing it wasn't fun at all. If I wanted parryspam I'd play Metal Gear RR or something along those lines. Not a huge fan of how they give you a practice dummy but he's so basic you can't learn poo poo from him because every other thing in the game is more dangerous. Stealth is useful but also hinders learning since you can just stealth kill most enemies instead of fighting them if you find them annoying.

It's really weird because I like everything else about the game but there's little point to playing a Fromsoft game if you don't like the combat.

The real training dummy is Genichiro and he lives at the top of the castle. After that you can just cruise to victory as a learned master of the blade.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

He really is a good training dummy cos once you’ve got him pegged you can really just toy with him and also he’s a jerk.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

And thats something I'd like Souls to gravitate more towards, er, well.. I guess Souls is done. But whatevers next, give me satisfying 1v1 humanoid bosses instead of just trying to sever the achilles tendons of giant beasts

The next thing I want them to do is use live data from player experience to update AI so as time goes on, its not just the same boss fight over and over, they learn new tricks

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
I hope Elden Ring is a fun game like Sekiro and DS3 and not an unfun game like Bloodborne and DS2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

acyclicity posted:

I hope Elden Ring is a fun game like Sekiro and DS3 and not an unfun game like Bloodborne and DS2.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Dunno. Maybe it's an uncommon opinion, but I just listed my two favorite From Software games followed by my two least favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

acyclicity posted:

Dunno. Maybe it's an uncommon opinion, but I just listed my two favorite From Software games followed by my two least favorite.

So many people are down on DS2 so I think it is the more prevalent opinion, so that I understand even if I do not agree.

Calling Bloodborne unfun when you like DS3 and Sekiro is what confuses me more. That I am trying to understand and I cannot. What is it about bloodborne you think is unfun?