Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is looking disturbingly similar to Pacific Rim.

garycoleisgod posted:

So the internet is going to like it, I will find it boring and it will make a middling amount of money?

...yeah, that checks out.

I'm talking more the assloads of blue objects as metaphor, mixed with the otherwise-pukey haze of coloured lighting.

:supaburn: letsss go :rolldice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/gewalker/status/1436019588622323717

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bring back Hugo Weaving for a cameo, but instead of being Smith, in the Nu-Matrix, he's a used car salesman or an Ace Hardware store manager or something.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

Gonz posted:

Bring back Hugo Weaving for a cameo, but instead of being Smith, in the Nu-Matrix, he's a used car salesman or an Ace Hardware store manager or something.

explain

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Oh there's no meaning in it at all; just that everybody would expect Smith to be some sort of leftover malware that's trying to piece itself back together for another go at the machines, and he's just some random dude, instead.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/ricardojuchem/status/1435962397341147137

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1435980805797462019

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
That mirror reflection doesn't look like Hugo Weaving in the slightest

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That scene of the agent flipping into the hallway was pretty sick.

I'll watch it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Note that the “red pill” in Matrix 1 doesn’t actually do anything.

It’s used for location detection, and all the dramatic mirror-goo stuff is a side effect.

The blue pill is evidently just a tranquilizer.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Are you trying to tell me it's more of a metaphor? Whaaaat?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zesty posted:

Are you trying to tell me it's more of a metaphor? Whaaaat?

The film is, itself, metaphorical.

As with the battery that Morpheus holds up, the pills are a sub-metaphor deployed by the characters within the metaphor to explain their interpretation of the metaphor.

In other words, the drugs are Morpheus’ metaphor for ‘the act of contacting the hovercraft.’ So what is the hovercraft a metaphor for?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shardix posted:

That mirror reflection doesn't look like Hugo Weaving in the slightest

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Note that the “red pill” in Matrix 1 doesn’t actually do anything.

It’s used for location detection, and all the dramatic mirror-goo stuff is a side effect.

The blue pill is evidently just a tranquilizer.

Whoa

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sigh the look and feel of the trailer is more like a TV show than a movie. Especially compared to the original trilogy.

Maybe this is the 8th matrix and the program responsible for the look was deleted.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Last night I watched Reloaded from start to finish for the first time in probably ten years. Honestly, the thing that stood out the most is how much they have increased the volume and bass of hand to hand fight foley work in the past 18 years. The punches are so quiet and soft sounding in that movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Last night I watched Reloaded from start to finish for the first time in probably ten years. Honestly, the thing that stood out the most is how much they have increased the volume and bass of hand to hand fight foley work in the past 18 years. The punches are so quiet and soft sounding in that movie.

I always thought the fight scenes in The Matrix films sounded pretty unique. The "air whip" sfx behind thrown kicks and punches in particular, those have always stood out to me. I don't know how else to describe it, but all the sound embellishments for the martial arts on display in the movies felt appropriate for the sci-fi setting.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

clean ayers act posted:

My initial reaction to the trailer is it seems like its going down the route of The Force Awakens in basically being a nostalgic movie instead of something new.
Hope i'm wrong about that because i loved the matrix, sequels and all

I think (and hope) that will not be the case but at the same time it would be poignant to highlight the real world parallels of this. Seeing that brief clip of the original Matrix being projected in the trailer suggests that they may touch on the topic at least somewhat. The timing coincides with another piece of media that I enjoy which recently concluded with the anticipated final movie which made a point of addressing this theme directly to the point of completely breaking the fourth wall in the final moments of the film. It doesn't always work but when a talented director attempts to tackle the subject and succeeds it is a rewarding experience, imo.

Besides, it really does feel like we've been spinning tires for a notable amount of time now. I'd like to see more media tackle this in their own ways and I'm sure Lana has an inventive and interesting take on this herself, especially since the first Matrix had a significant cultural impact with the abundance of "Are we living in a simulation?!" conspiracy theories that arose in its wake. It would be entertaining to see the film play with that idea a little.

Jay-V posted:

saw some semi-interesting speculation on reddit

-projection of Matrix 99 could indicate that it exists as a movie in-universe

This would be excellent, and a good take on what I was theorizing above given the real world reaction that people had to the movie.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

The first Matrix (1999) was a culmination of pre-9/11 engagement with themes of anomie, frustration, and self-actualization. It is the ultimate Gen X movie.

However, we have seen in the intervening decades how that selfsame ideology of individualism and self-expression is actually a comfortable fit for late stage capitalist consumerism, and offers little defense against the barbarism of the 21st century. Witness how easily the imagery of "The Red Pill" is adopted by deranged Internet misogynists and reactionaries, for example. It's not enough to say that they are simply misreading the film or acting in bad faith. In fact, they have correctly identified the evils of hyper-capitalist exploitation; their solution, however, inserted into the ideological gap of The Matrix, is to return to old systems of master-slave domination (with themselves as masters, of course).

The challenge of The Matrix IV (2021), then, is surely to fill in the gap left by the first movie: Neo is a failed messiah whose agenda of "raising consciousness" or "bringing attention to the issues [of the Matrix]" has been utterly discredited. What is the third choice, beyond the false binary of blue and red pills?

Star Wars already did the “failed messiah” thing with Luke Skywalker. We don’t need that kind of deconstruction again.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

teagone posted:

I always thought the fight scenes in The Matrix films sounded pretty unique. The "air whip" sfx behind thrown kicks and punches in particular, those have always stood out to me. I don't know how else to describe it, but all the sound embellishments for the martial arts on display in the movies felt appropriate for the sci-fi setting.

Yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s “worse” than current sfx, but definitely less “grounded” I guess?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

I always thought the fight scenes in The Matrix films sounded pretty unique. The "air whip" sfx behind thrown kicks and punches in particular, those have always stood out to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weVFpKTB4Sw&t=452s

:haw:

Noob Saibot posted:

Star Wars already did the “failed messiah” thing with Luke Skywalker. We don’t need that kind of deconstruction again.

DUNC coming soon!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

Yes, once a story is told, nobody should ever be able to use any of those themes, elements, or archetypes again.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wouldn’t even be mad if they did a terrible thing like force awakens. Not that I would like it I just don’t care anymore.

Are matrix fans that would get angery the same as Star Wars fans that got angery?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Shaocaholica posted:

Are matrix fans that would get angery the same as Star Wars fans that got angery?

I posted on my FB about how hype I was from the new trailer and one of my "acquaintances" already went off on a screed about how Jessica Henwicks character is a "purple haired gender-fluid mary sue" and then made comparisons to Rey so yeah, they are out there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

metachronos posted:

I posted on my FB about how hype I was from the new trailer and one of my "acquaintances" already went off on a screed about how Jessica Henwicks character is a "purple haired gender-fluid mary sue" and then made comparisons to Rey so yeah, they are out there.

With each passing hour I am more and more happy that I killed my Facebook account a year ago.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

metachronos posted:

How would they even loving have enough info to...oh never mind.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
https://twitter.com/drwomanhattan/status/1436406679877324812?s=21

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

If this was the case perhaps this iteration of Neo and the reason he may be able to have a sort of vague perception he’s done this before is because he has some of Smith’s code in him after Smith absorbed him. It causes a difference.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

huh I'd completely forgotten about the secret humanoid car multiplayer battle mode in Enter the Matrix

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

metachronos posted:

That person sucks. Which is accurate because most people still on facebook suck rear end.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

huh I'd completely forgotten about the secret humanoid car multiplayer battle mode in Enter the Matrix

You think that's gas you're guzzling?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Its pretty amazing where we are today compared to 20 years ago. The first movie came out during the end of the hyper corporate computer/.com boom era where things were more or less stable... people had money and 401ks even if they didn't like their jobs.

Now, everyone is broke as poo poo living in a late stage neoliberal Zion-like hellscape largely controlled by space traveling oligarchs and such while willingly posting on the Matrix.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2JgLcDw.mp4

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's a Wachowski film, so my bet is it's going to be more bizarre than anything anyone in this thread can come up with, and it's either going to be very good, very bad, or very polarizing. You can say a lot of good things and a lot of bad things about their work, but they always, always swing for the fence. It might be bad (I'm cautiously optimistic based on the trailer) but I don't think it will be half-assed mediocrity. If it's bad, it will be bad in new, completely bizarre ways!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cyberpunk/goliath.shtml

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

PT6A posted:

It's a Wachowski film, so my bet is it's going to be more bizarre than anything anyone in this thread can come up with, and it's either going to be very good, very bad, or very polarizing. You can say a lot of good things and a lot of bad things about their work, but they always, always swing for the fence. It might be bad (I'm cautiously optimistic based on the trailer) but I don't think it will be half-assed mediocrity. If it's bad, it will be bad in new, completely bizarre ways!

As long as it doesn’t look like a commodity TV show like the trailer is.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

metachronos posted:

We can only hope. Throw in also "being gay" and it'll be hella amazing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Shaocaholica posted:

As long as it doesn’t look like a commodity TV show like the trailer is.

Why does everything look like high budget TV show idgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

We can only hope. Throw in also "being gay" and it'll be hella amazing.

Yeah for real. Anyone complaining about a character being super gay is weird af in 2021 too. Embrace the gay.

[edit]

porfiria posted:

Why does everything look like high budget TV show idgi.

Nothing in that Resurrections trailer looked egregiously TV-esque to me. That said, the line between the cinematic aesthetic of film and TV has been blurred for several years now. There are a lot of good looking tv shows.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 11, 2021