Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Pretty much every governor you'd expect has flipped their lid

https://twitter.com/henrymcmaster/status/1436074995374039045

https://twitter.com/govkristinoem/status/1436060414970892288

https://twitter.com/tatereeves/status/1436081918982897667

etc etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I feel like Biden should start pulling federal contracts from those who don't comply

Make it hurt

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

What does this dudes polling look like that he's trying to thread the needle between " vaccines good" and "vaccine mandate bad"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Don't schools have other vaccine requirements? Why haven't they tried to reverse those yet?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's not even really compelled - there's a weekly testing option like right in the rule.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
When did Biden become awesome. More of this poo poo please.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lolie posted:

Do you think that 2022 "normal" will be like 2019 normal?

We're still mostly in lockdown and our health authorities are pretty clear that vaccinations and masks will be with us years into the future. It's a price most people seem okay with paying to have recreational life re-open.

every job I have worked in my adult life outside of a restaurant and a college bookstore has required me to wear a mask or respirator most of the time I am working, until the one I started in Oct. 2019. Oct 2019-May 2020 and June 2021-August 2021 were a nice reprieve.

Welcome to unmasked as the not-normal way to live your life :getin:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

HD DAD posted:

Amazing that this will help save conservatives' lives, but they're crying about it. What vital thing has broken inside the minds of these people?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

Amazing that this will help save conservatives' lives, but they're crying about it. What vital thing has broken inside the minds of these people?

Deep down they want to die because life is miserable?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

Don't schools have other vaccine requirements? Why haven't they tried to reverse those yet?

Ohio had a law in committee that would have done just that. It didn't make it out to a vote, but it still had a ton of hearings. It's where that lady trying to stick a key to herself, but it falling off each time, came from.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Harminoff posted:

Yeah, in Canada we mandate both pertusis (whooping cough) and chicken pox. I assume most US jurisdictions do as well. Both these viruses are less dangerous (in mortality at least) than COVID.

naem
May 29, 2011

low key sex master posted:

I feel like Biden should start pulling federal contracts from those who don't comply

Make it hurt

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

A Fancy Hat posted:

A part of me wonders if the GOP governors are secretly breathing a sigh of relief, because it would be impossible to put in their own mandates without immediately getting primaried by someone even more crazy. They’ve pandered too much and now their entire careers are dependent on it.

Their constituents though are just sad and gullible and “don’t like being told what to do”.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

HD DAD posted:

A part of me wonders if the GOP governors are secretly breathing a sigh of relief, because it would be impossible to put in their own mandates without immediately getting primaried by someone even more crazy. They’ve pandered too much and now their entire careers are dependent on it.

Their constituents though are just sad and gullible and “don’t like being told what to do”.

I'm honestly not sure what Biden gains from this, has there been polling suggesting that a vaccine mandate would be popular?

All he had to do was say at every opportunity that people should get vaccinated, the chuds would ignore him and the less chudish people would eventually go and do it.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
almost looking like the '84 election map

naem
May 29, 2011

HD DAD posted:

the unemployment and other benefits extension, the infrastructure bill, and now this vax mandate are all ballsy as gently caress and needed badly, if he also forgives student loan debt he’s literally the best president ever

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Failed Imagineer posted:

What does this dudes polling look like that he's trying to thread the needle between " vaccines good" and "vaccine mandate bad"

He's polling between "Jesus has appointed me in divine right" and "Holy poo poo someone crazier than me may primary my rear end"

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm honestly not sure what Biden gains from this, has there been polling suggesting that a vaccine mandate would be popular?

All he had to do was say at every opportunity that people should get vaccinated, the chuds would ignore him and the less chudish people would eventually go and do it.

The economy can't open up properly without a mandate, no matter how many unvaxxed people are willing to stuff themselves into a stadium.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

It's not even really compelled - there's a weekly testing option like right in the rule.

There's a absolute requirement for government contractors and healthcare facilities that take medicare/medicaid. But otherwise yeah, you can test out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tagra posted:

So is the advantage of mRNA that we can pump it out super easily vs creating the actual proteins we're targeting? I'm just trying to understand how the mRNA is such a huge breakthrough vs just injecting the protein directly.

Kind of like how you could print thousands of copies a day of instructions on how to build an IKEA kitchen, but actually building the kitchen yourself would take a couple days for each one. But you can hand those instructions to a build crew that can do that poo poo in a couple hours.

And then the instructions we printed get all torn up right away so the construction crew doesn't run amok renovating the whole place in ways we didn't ask them to do...

e: Whoops, completely misremembered how they work, hopefully this second (wiki-assisted) explanation is a bit more accurate

What the mRNA vaccines do is give the immune system a shortcut on one of the normal processes in response to an infection (or conventional vaccination) where dendritic cells grab a chunk of the DNA or RNA from a freshly-killed virus or bacteria and present it to the rest of the immune system by generating a copy of the protein it encodes on their surface along with a big KICK ME sign. Just putting the proteins in wouldn't result in as strong a reaction.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 10, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gay picnic defence posted:

Biden's approval ratings on his COVID response had been going down lately and I believe even amongst democrats. He's doing this to regain those numbers from his supporters. The people bitching about vaccines were never listening to Biden anyway.

Also vaccine mandates should be a thing anyway.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Goddamn, had a call from a friend (that I hooked up once or twice back in 2019) whom wanted ask me something related business and I knew she was "vaccine hesitant" but holy hell she is now full on horsepaste people now. Bring out your chud bingo cards:

32 year old, works in customer facing job, didn't had the vaccine despite being available for months (UK)

"I made my own research"

"My friends mom died and they counted as Covid, THEY are pumping the numbers"

"I will never get the jab see you in two years when side effects start killing people"

"I probably had it 3 times, it's just a flu"

"If vaccines protect, why YOU are afraid of unvaxxed people"

"How come people still get it if vaccines work?"

"They can't mandate vaccinations here, it's a free country"

I was like, progressively getting angry and told her to gently caress off with that smoothbrain poo poo and she got upset.

drat, that was a purestrain anti vaxx/covid denier/tinfoil insanity. Burned that bridge forever.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just gonna call up an old shag to validate me for thinking covid is no big deal and if they don't agree with me I'm going to scream down the phone at them. That's a normal thing that I, a reasonable human being, will do without any self reflection, as I cannot countenance that a million scientists are smarter than me and my favourite youtube conspiracy theorist

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Reminds me of my (well, used to be) family friend, who is a hairstylist by trade.

We saw her the other day and she immediately started bitching about how they might make a vaccine mandate for hairstylists.

Then she said she wasn't feeling good, and she knew it was bronchitis and ignored her doctor's pleas to go get a COVID test.

While she was flapping her jaw in our car window.

That conversation ended quickly.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

This makes two people, with my ex flatmate who's in a literal quantum/ask things you want from the universe cult and also a middle class teacher I burned bridges with over anti-vaxx and feels good yo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The real bizarre ones are two separate friends I had who were extremely pro-science, very grounded in reality types who seemed to start spouting conspiracy theories within a span of a year or so. Now they’re bona-fide American Flag-Dems Eat Babies-Horse Pasters.

My only explanation is that mental illness can start to present itself in your 20s. :(

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
People are weird about shots

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I mean, the common thing with the both horsepasters in my case is they are educated professionals. Hell, I openly expect better from a middle school teacher exposing kids that literally cannot get vaccinated and likely to carry it to everywhere.

Back in my home country, in the 80s and 90s vaccinations were like "Ok kids, stay still today is
X vaccine day and you'll be free in the afternoon" and we got our shots.

You'd be in MEGA trouble if you tried to skip it so only few douchebags tried it but because they were dumb middle schoolers trying to impress their teenage crushes not horsepasters.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, I was trying to figure that out. My company went almost entirely remote, but was requiring anyone who needed or wanted to be person with us or at clients to be fully vaccinated. So I'm wondering if we'll need to make the policy even more strict.

We're all optionally remote and my company will pay for a test for test if you want one (they have stacks of flow tests by the door too), and I went for pizza and beer day at my office for the first time in two years and it was pretty nice to go back to normality and see everyone in 3d again. Allegedly the entire floor is vaccinated anyway (certainly my entire team is), but social distancing rules were still in place (and pizza was outdoors on huge benches).

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Reasonable, low effort risk-mitigation strategies that don't interfere with productivity or workplace cohesion?

Surely we've asked too much of our citizens.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I was very suprised to see the Circle Line all carriages were like largely masked and people maintaining social distancing when possible. Like, everyone sat with one empty seat between them until it was not possible.

This works well with Londoners' natural aversion to random human interaction ngl

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Can we have some of that federal mandates over here in the plague island?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Russia have been wasting their time poisoning people with esoteric things like Novichok and polonium. All they need to do is "leak" that their Sputnik V vaccine has been developed in collobration with Pfizer, or something, and a decent proportion of the US population will be chugging every poison they can lay their hands on to avoid being turned into commies in their sleep.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Actually russia is good now.

Well regressives think Russia is good, because Donnie loves Russia. Also Team R gets a poo poo ton of dark money from various rich russian people and its better to be a rich rat than a not rich rat.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Biden isn't losing any popularity by doing the thing that conservatives already believed he was doing.

If someone is mad at you for doing something you didn't do, you don't stand to gain anything by not going ahead and doing the thing. This is one of the most important political concepts that Dems don't understand.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's all part of being controlled opposition :ssh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Galewolf posted:

Can we have some of that federal mandates over here in the plague island?

dont you people have like a queen with divine right or something just make her issue a holy edict demanding it

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Hello. I just spoke with God, and he told me that he hates masks and COVID-19 is a hoax, ya'll.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's all part of being controlled opposition :ssh:

lol get outta here with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Hello. I just spoke with God, and he told me that he hates masks and COVID-19 is a hoax, ya'll.

I mean my buddy is the head nurse at a private clinic and literally right now he's meeting with multiple staff members presenting a religious exemption for vaccination. They're making sure they have someone representing HR and management present too cause of how sensitive this poo poo is.

Oddly enough one of my other buddies is a priest in an extremely conservative sect of catholocism and even they are saying there is no religious justification to prevent you from getting vaccinated.