Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clarence posted:

What sort of server hosting is recommended for a server with <10 users, with a modpack of some sort installed? We're considering setting something up to play as a family (four of us) but I'd like a bit of extra headroom in case the kid's friends want to join in sometimes. The cost differences mostly seem to be related to the amount of RAM provided.

Pretty much every hosting service is going to give you a VPS unless you specifically pay for a physical dedicated machine. The amount of RAM you'll need will vary depending on what modpack you're going to run - something that's light, like a Fabric-based pack with a few quality-of-life mods, will need much less RAM than something hilariously heavy like ATM...whatever number they're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I just ran an akliz atm6 server for a couple months for 5 people that worked flawlessly for $40/m. Try them.

Googled a coupon code for half off the first month as well.

Edit: ya would be much cheaper if not using a pack like atm.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Current multiplayer I play on is ATM slice of pie - but there's lots in there that I'd not be interested in including.

If I was to roll my own combination, how much hassle is there with getting mods to play well together? Assuming I stick with mainstream mods.

And $40/month is far too steep! :(

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I used to run...I want to say Tekkit (?) on a $10/month Akliz server for myself. This was right after everything went under the server/client architecture and playing a singleplayer world would start a server and my computer could no longer handle both. So, I went ahead and had the Akliz instance and it ran everything fairly well.

This was back in 2013-2014 though, so YMMV.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Clarence posted:

Current multiplayer I play on is ATM slice of pie - but there's lots in there that I'd not be interested in including.

If I was to roll my own combination, how much hassle is there with getting mods to play well together? Assuming I stick with mainstream mods.

And $40/month is far too steep! :(

I'd stick to an existing modpack. Mods interact in all kinds of ways that may need to be reconciled. A modpack takes care of all that for you. People (including you!) might end up liking some of those extra mods. I generally just set up another computer for my game servers. Minecraft, ARK, whatever. When I upgrade a computer, I just hold onto the previous equipment for a media/game server. As long as it has enough ram, it doesn't really matter how slow the computer is. I know not everyone has a second computer or broadband, though. You also might be able to just host it on your primary computer, but I don't know what kind of performance you'll get when you play on it.

I think a modpack is a really good starting point for tweaking the experience to how you want it. You can add and remove mods from there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

D34THROW posted:

I used to run...I want to say Tekkit (?) on a $10/month Akliz server for myself. This was right after everything went under the server/client architecture and playing a singleplayer world would start a server and my computer could no longer handle both. So, I went ahead and had the Akliz instance and it ran everything fairly well.

This was back in 2013-2014 though, so YMMV.

The only packs that can run on that hardware nowadays are like... maybe tekkit legends.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Hi again. The modded server I started has been going pretty well aside from basically functioning on spit and duct tape and Mekanism tubes as one of the players said. However, I found myself getting unexpectedly really into Astral Sorcery, one of the mods requested, and was wondering if there were any other mods that prioritized exploration of the world over engineering and automation. Honestly, it'd probably be better if it were a modpack since the cobbled together mods we have lack coherence (although this pack would be mostly for myself).

Please note that I have played Blightfall, so I'm mostly looking for mods with the same sort of progression Astral Sorcery has without a lot of system development involved.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Other than, perhaps, Ice and Fire I'm not really sure on that one. Unless you wanna go back to 1.7 and dig up Chromaticcraft. :v:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I really hate forestry

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
ohgod why am I back here and oh hi.

So gents, what's new and fresh and fun in the world of Minecraft?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i am really into omnifactory, its really good

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm excited for the next version of omnifactory, hope that's pretty soon.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Omnifactory: The current dev branch is very good if you haven't picked it up yet. Bunch of updates since the last full release.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

have they said anything about turning the dev branch into a release?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does the newer Omnifactory version have actual, reasonable AE2 fluid exporting or is the only reasonable way to play still to just have a dozen different chemical factories that are always full of a different respective fluid? I played an unofficial patch version once that had a kludged Refined Storage added in and holy poo poo the ability to export and craft with precise fluid amounts was a complete game-changer.
I also learned that RS was what the dev wanted to go with in the first place, but had to change because Gregtech's rendering would crash the game when showing patterns for wires and certain blocks, and by the time that was fixed the pack was already done.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Does the newer Omnifactory version have actual, reasonable AE2 fluid exporting or is the only reasonable way to play still to just have a dozen different chemical factories that are always full of a different respective fluid? I played an unofficial patch version once that had a kludged Refined Storage added in and holy poo poo the ability to export and craft with precise fluid amounts was a complete game-changer.
I also learned that RS was what the dev wanted to go with in the first place, but had to change because Gregtech's rendering would crash the game when showing patterns for wires and certain blocks, and by the time that was fixed the pack was already done.

Does the pack have volumetric flasks? In GTNH, there are volumetric flasks that can hold a configurable, precise amount of liquid, and you can use assemblers to change them on the fly. I use these for fluid autocrafting, with a lot of subnetwork and blocking mode trickery.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
At the risk of repeating myself, I will reiterate that I love Omnifactory. Here’s my current command center:

I’ve got all my crafting monitors staggered in my line of sight so when I set off a complicated job I see them all light up. As my sign there indicates, I’m about to start Fission in a serious way as a prelude to LuV. Farthest I’ve been, about 8d in total. I’m having a ball.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Does the pack have volumetric flasks? In GTNH, there are volumetric flasks that can hold a configurable, precise amount of liquid, and you can use assemblers to change them on the fly. I use these for fluid autocrafting, with a lot of subnetwork and blocking mode trickery.
Well I was sort of hoping they just had a simple, direct method like RS does by this point, but if trickery is required it seems fluid crafting is still a crapshoot.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I had added an extra mod for AE2 fluid crafting, but it didn't play exactly nice, and I didn't use it since the beginning so I didn't want to convert all my stuff to use it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's the normal way to set up autocrafting for two-slot recipes? The alloy smelter has two slots and I need to make sure the two different ingredients show up together. If I submit more than 64 ingredients, I risk one of the ingredients clogging the second slot instead of the second ingredient. Would an ME interface parked right on the machine take care of it? I was thinking some clever filtering from two different inputs might work with EnderIO item conduits, but I have to experiment with it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the normal way to set up autocrafting for two-slot recipes? The alloy smelter has two slots and I need to make sure the two different ingredients show up together. If I submit more than 64 ingredients, I risk one of the ingredients clogging the second slot instead of the second ingredient. Would an ME interface parked right on the machine take care of it? I was thinking some clever filtering from two different inputs might work with EnderIO item conduits, but I have to experiment with it.

In GTNH? The machine won't accept more than one stack of any item from pipes or interfaces or whatever. You can just slap the interface on the side. It Just Works™. For bonus points, before you attach the interface, wrench the output face towards where the interface will be and screwdriver it to allow input from that side, then do auto item output in the machine's GUI.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In GTNH? The machine won't accept more than one stack of any item from pipes or interfaces or whatever. You can just slap the interface on the side. It Just Works™. For bonus points, before you attach the interface, wrench the output face towards where the interface will be and screwdriver it to allow input from that side, then do auto item output in the machine's GUI.

Omnifactory in this case, and I've already seen that sucker double first some ingots so it's been a problem in this pack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Omnifactory in this case, and I've already seen that sucker double first some ingots so it's been a problem in this pack.

Yeah, then it's probably coded poorly. Sorry to hear that.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
In Omnifactory, you use a Limited Item Filter on an insert EnderIO conduit. With that you can specify the exact number of both items, then feed the conduit from an interface. This works really well in conjunction with a redstone signal and level emitter on the corresponding extract conduit to passively control supply. Beware, this gets wonky if you export more than the things in the filter from that interface (i.e. it stops working).

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

:monocle: I never tried the limited item filter. I used impulse hoppers with the output "locked" so it wouldn't start a new export until the first set of items was completely exported.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh school must be in session because I've been learning from this.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
A buddy of mine and I just started jumping in to modded minecraft after not playing any minecraft or mods for roughly 10 years. Everything is changed and its a lot. We are basically constantly getting our minds blown by whatever we come across in the FTB Endeavour 1.16 pack.

However, now that we're getting further along into it I can see ways I'd prefer to tailor the experience. M
I'd like to find a modpack that suits our playstyle a little bit more, maybe is a little slower or has a longer term goal than the kitchen sink style, but I think there's 4 or so main things we'd like to hit.

1. I don't care for having 5 or 6 different, siloed, magic systems, all of which seem to mostly be outgunned by Ars Nouveau. It's cool that I can make big celestial shrines and start magic flower tree chopping factories and open a portal to the elf dimension but these all kind of pale in comparison to being able to have a machine gun of fireballs. It'd be one thing if they built on each other or interoperated at all, but they don't really. Each one feels like a unique and distinct thing and flavorwise they're all great but ultimately lacking in... a sense of meaningful progression - at least once I discovered fireball chains. Are there any modpacks that integrate magic into the rest of the system? Also, a lot of these mods treat magic as very... technical. Are there ones where you have more of a chance of blowing things up? I want my reach to exceed my grasp and summon a demon by accident. Something like that.

2. We are loving the Create mod, Immersive Engineering Mod, and ComputerCraft: Tweaked mods. Anything that we could do that iterated on these or otherwise expanded on their connectivity (particularly computercraft, which seems like it barely connects to anything but is so powerful) would be amazing. The flexibility and aesthetic of Create in particular rules.

3. I don't think I can play any other game of minecraft that doesn't have something like Refined Storage in it. The ability to keep all of the items is a central database is a killer feature, esp. since neither of us is good at keeping chests oragnized.

Are there any modpacks that cater to these kinds gameplay interests? I love automation, fiddling and tinkering with things, computercraft-style programming interfaces, a sense of progression, and to feel like the various mods are more or less integrated. The exploration side of Endeavour is nice and provides a downtime activity after brain buzzing about something but is not essential.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm not up on my recent modpacks to give a recommendation for the sort you're looking for, but I will say that Astral Sorcery is probably still worth the investment even with Ars Nouveau. AN may have you covered for combat and the like, but AS has passive perks and utility features that help shore up common resources and bolster your movement options. I think they'd probably work well together.

I do agree that RS is a nearly vital mod for me, because sorting through a dozen chests trying to deal with limited inventory is something I've done enough of in this game to never want to handle again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How would those EnderIO connectors work with larger recipes with a lot of overlap? I want to do tier one refined processors and tier two processors. They both require pretty similar components (4 in overlap?). I was hoping to use the same machine for both. I tried to schedule a run the other day and got a traffic jam between them and nothing could be made.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How would those EnderIO connectors work with larger recipes with a lot of overlap? I want to do tier one refined processors and tier two processors. They both require pretty similar components (4 in overlap?). I was hoping to use the same machine for both. I tried to schedule a run the other day and got a traffic jam between them and nothing could be made.
An Interface pointed at a crate with a conduit to multiple machines works great for lathe, wiremill, compressor, anything that transforms a single item. Unfortunately, since items can get randomly distributed to a row of machines the technique for assembler/alloy smelter is:

Interface:
Processing Pattern Recipes (without integrated circuit)
Crafting card
Set to blocking mode
Next to the Machine

Machine:
Next to the interface
Screwdriver to allow input from output side
Item auto-output enabled
(if needed) Circuit added configured to number (this does not get output, so do not add to recipe)

If you want moderate parallelization (for alloy smelters) you can repeat this on 4 sides, and as long as it's set to blocking it'll pick an empty machine or wait.

Later if you need more than 4, you can use packager or paauto (dev branch) but if you're at HV/IV level the above with 1-4 machines is probably your best option

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 12, 2021

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Blocking mode on the ME interfaces doesn't work well with the assemblers, unfortunately, as explained in this comment.

You might be able to do some kind of intermediate buffering between the interface and assembler where blocking mode will work properly with chests or such, but I just gave up on trying to share them and made separate assemblers for each tier of circuit. I did have the SMD components sharing an assembler for a long time, but just recently had to separate them out as they were starting to jam up as well, but that didn't start happening until around LuV-level and very large batches of requests for me.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That issue's been fixed in the dev branch I believe, along with many, many other bugs. I HIGHLY recommend using the nightly dev as it's got 2+ years of bugfixes and updates.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is the curse website + multimc still the way to go?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Xun posted:

Is the curse website + multimc still the way to go?

I just use MultiMC it even lets you download from the various modpack sources (e.g. curse,ftb, etc) now.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
GDLauncher still works fine.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

As much as it hurts the inner optimization wizard, I have found the best results in situations like this, especially where assemblers are required, is to use a one to one ratio. If nothing else, it often forces you to backlog more components which is usually a good thing anyway.

I’ve been trying to make myself build little dedicated lines to specific crafts to encourage bulk output that I think I might not need (you always need it). Believe me I know how difficult it is. With every tier I progress I keep wondering if this is the moment when I realize I did NOT scale up enough this or that production. I’m sure the moment is nigh! I just built my first modular Assembly Line and am busy wiring it up. I’m thinking I may well have to ramp up SMD production and everything that goes with that.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i really appreciate what watching a bunch of GTNH videos has done to my google ad personalization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxn-DO2Zeg

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
I'm just starting Omnifactory and really enjoying the mining experience, reminds a bit of Big Dig. The microcrafting is a bit of a pain, but I specifically chose this pack to teach myself to automate stuff better.

I guess my sole complaint is that the only aesthetic mods are Chisel and Xtones, which are good for making the walls and floors have a bit more character, but I'd really love something that makes prettier signs - labelling things is a must for me.

Bibliocraft (I think) had this weird item frame/sign combo, where you could put three items in a wooden frame that was perfect for organising my early game storage barrels. I wonder if adding the mod would break anything.

DawnOfMinstrel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 10, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Early Omnifactory tip: Get a second range extender ASAP for the ore detector. They both stack with the extra range for the module that lets you search for specific blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Definitely get a second range extender and as soon as you have circuit boards build the module that allows you to search for a specific block. Once you build the grapple, go hunting for:

Chest
Anvil
Brew Station
Enchantment Table
Bookcase

Grapple up and just mine through the wall and grab items out of chests. You primarily are looking for an ender sword, boots, pearls and Drill Cores (you need 2 by midgame). You can macerate the anvil for 32 iron dust which is amazing early game, bookcases are free books, and you need to find at least one brew station for the blaze rod.

Each time you buy needed ore with omnicoins, put one of them down in the world and build an ore wall which will allow you to find more easily in the ground.