Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Communist Thoughts posted:

All according to keirkaku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
TL Note: keirkaku means 'no policies'

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Keirkikomori - isolated, alone, withdrawn.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’ll all be forgotten in a week though, Starmer’s incompetence will ensure Labour swiftly return to 5+ points behind

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Harakeiri - A political attempt to wound one's opponent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Keiraoke - one pissed guy in a suit bleating into a microphone, everyone wishing he'd stop

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1436221129694355459

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Clicking through that twitter stuff, apparently class is set in stone and always rounds down. So cos Charlie Mullins, Alan Sugar etc. did some work in their life, they are forever working class. UNLESS they start talking posh, then they count as upper class, obviously.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pumpkin Spice Fudge

Will be returning next week :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Marmaduke! posted:

Clicking through that twitter stuff, apparently class is set in stone and always rounds down. So cos Charlie Mullins, Alan Sugar etc. did some work in their life, they are forever working class. UNLESS they start talking posh, then they count as upper class, obviously.
It all seems to lead back to
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1435981299253227524
which of course has some of the world's worst people completely misunderstanding what liberals are.

Which reminds me of this Guardianactually the Observer piece that popped up in my newsfeed last night, in which they admit the game nature of the whole thing. At least I can eat yams.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Which reminds me of this Guardianactually the Observer piece that popped up in my newsfeed last night, in which they admit the game nature of the whole thing. At least I can eat yams.

The Observer is to the Guardian as the Mail on Sunday is to the Mail, except without the editorial feud.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"The behaviour of racists, transphobes, conspiracy theorists, cult members, religious fundamentalists and online mobbers becomes much more explicable when you check the payroll of our co-publication."

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Kind of a sophomoric take to say that a society, built on rules as it is, is like a game. But it seems like on coming to that conclusion there's two things you could do and "manipulate the game so that I win at the expense of others" really speaks to a kind of sociopathic instinct that a national newspaper ought to hold itself above. Sadly, that's not the world we live in and that's why we have the transphobic, xenophobic, class-baiting press that we do

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Revolutionary idea there that people will clamber over the bodies of their friends to get a +1 in whatever poo poo pile they are put in.

It's almost like we should try to structure society in such a way that cooperation and bringing up others is rewarded rather than being pithy and saying "lol it's all a game, don't try to win, just play!" as people are literally starving to death.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1436289376917540882

The opposite of an effortpost but of all the things to hate about loving pomo architecture, this relentless refusal to just have a loving right angle or an unbroken line is the worst and constitutes a clear and present danger to the innocent drinking population.

(I didn't actually fall over but did have a hell of a wobble because none of the buildings moved right as I walked past)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just looks like a building to me? You may have been very pissed

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The opposite of an effortpost but of all the things to hate about loving pomo architecture, this relentless refusal to just have a loving right angle or an unbroken line is the worst and constitutes a clear and present danger to the innocent drinking population.

(I didn't actually fall over but did have a hell of a wobble because none of the buildings moved right as I walked past)

idk, to be honest this is far from the worst architectural disasters that i've seen, even in london

that whole bit of hotels (?) weird shaped high-rises that look like they're made of plasitc, on the Thames kind of east-ish from Blackwall basin, for example. or most of Blackwall newbuilts, tbh (e: it's called New Providence Wharf and of course it was built by Ballymore)

though the tiny pathetic little trees in boxes kinda make me sad :(

nurmie fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 10, 2021

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

While we're on architecture chat. Someone recommended me a podcast about a social housing project in a Nordic country that went horribly wrong, which sounded very interesting. However they gave me no further details or even it's name. If anyone has even a vague idea that would be cool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nurmie posted:

idk, to be honest this is far from the worst architectural disasters that i've seen, even in london

that whole bit of hotels (?) weird shaped high-rises that look like they're made of plasitc, on the Thames kind of east-ish from Blackwall basin, for example. or most of Blackwall newbuilts, tbh (e: it's called New Providence Wharf and of course it was built by Ballymore)

though the tiny pathetic little trees in boxes kinda make me sad :(

It's the interaction between the weird rooflines and the way the panelling sort of works like camouflage to break up the verticals, combined with the curves on the building on the left, especially when framed by the perpendiculars of the buildings in the foreground and with the reflections of the windows of the further-away buildings behind - my brain kept trying to bend the rearmost building to be at 45 degrees to the one it was attached to or make it much further away. The fact that the windows don't actually go in straight lines really doesn't help.

It would make more sense as a video but I was drunk and had just had my brain destroyed by architecture and frankly getting just that still was at the limits of my abilities.

Admittedly it's nowhere near as evil as this piece of poo poo:

which is just outside Moorfields Eye Hospital for extra evil.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Looks cool.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh poo poo yeah, that 2nd one looks like a screencap from Dr Strange.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JoylessJester posted:

While we're on architecture chat. Someone recommended me a podcast about a social housing project in a Nordic country that went horribly wrong, which sounded very interesting. However they gave me no further details or even it's name. If anyone has even a vague idea that would be cool.

Maybe The Million Project? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Programme

I don't know if it went particularly badly wrong, but there were riots in 2013 with some reference to the social housing. But that's all I think I know!

(No idea about any podcast. I've accepted that I'm not a podcast person.)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's the interaction between the weird rooflines and the way the panelling sort of works like camouflage to break up the verticals, combined with the curves on the building on the left, especially when framed by the perpendiculars of the buildings in the foreground and with the reflections of the windows of the further-away buildings behind - my brain kept trying to bend the rearmost building to be at 45 degrees to the one it was attached to or make it much further away. The fact that the windows don't actually go in straight lines really doesn't help.

It would make more sense as a video but I was drunk and had just had my brain destroyed by architecture and frankly getting just that still was at the limits of my abilities.

Admittedly it's nowhere near as evil as this piece of poo poo:

which is just outside Moorfields Eye Hospital for extra evil.

it looks like hitler imo

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Rosie Duffield is a piece of human excrement

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Some of the little trees in boxes are anti-terror infrastructure. The boxes are designed to withstand vehicles driving into them, but people find them less objectionable if they think they're planters.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Lady Demelza posted:

Some of the little trees in boxes are anti-terror infrastructure. The boxes are designed to withstand vehicles driving into them, but people find them less objectionable if they think they're planters.

why not just line the streets with powerful, imposing oak trees or something. surely they're capable of stopping any vehicle driving into them? i'm sure nothing terror-related will happen in the 100 years or so it takes to grow one oak tree. plus, the roots going everywhere will only help when the time to demolish these architectural atrocities finally comes

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Non-euclidean?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

it looks like hitler imo
Is that you Ken?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
you guys are boring, changing poo poo up in building design is Very Cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you're gonna have sinister architecture just have giant sandstone and obsidian pyramids, that's what RCT2 taught me is future

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you want sinister architecture, build an ordinary looking house but install some mechanism that will move it one yard each night. Tell no one, and make sure the homeowners act completely oblivious to their house moving.

"It was always here."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
sinister architecture could mean making everything left handed chortle chortle :newlol:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looks like I'm going to be a local rep for my work union soon. Been added to the group chat already and having run reading back through some old messages; some of the exec seem encouragingly hardcore lefty. More so than I might have expected for the National Trust.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Hello friends, was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to find out if this house has leaf pipes going out from the house main to the local area main. The pipes under the sink are copper or plastic, but unclear about the outside pipes. Is there an easy way to check or alternatively a way to check if the water has any lead in? It's an old house.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All orders placed before 1400 today have now shipped!

As I’m now officially starting my 40th Birthday celebrations, any orders from then on will ship at the start of next week.

And thanks to everyone who’s ordered :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Is there an easy way to check or alternatively a way to check if the water has any lead in? It's an old house.
Your local water company should have a lead pipe replacement scheme that will check for you, but you'll have to pay for them to dig outside up.

Alternatively you can buy lead test kits for water.

Or you can learn to do voltammetry.

Or you can open up the little hatch in the street outside your house and look for lead.

Or you can just fit a filter anyway for your drinking water.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

Hello friends, was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to find out if this house has leaf pipes going out from the house main to the local area main. The pipes under the sink are copper or plastic, but unclear about the outside pipes. Is there an easy way to check or alternatively a way to check if the water has any lead in? It's an old house.

If you mean something the lead supply pipe, apparently if you scratch the pipes gently with a coin you will see shiny silvery metal if they're lead.
However, they might be underground so best to ask the water company.
If by 'old' you mean pre-1970, then it's very possible.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Your local water company should have a lead pipe replacement scheme that will check for you, but you'll have to pay for them to dig outside up.

Alternatively you can buy lead test kits for water.

Or you can learn to do voltammetry.

Or you can open up the little hatch in the street outside your house and look for lead.

Or you can just fit a filter anyway for your drinking water.

They only do the pipes outside the property line, and I'm worried about the pipes outside the house but still within the property area, but thank you for the other tips

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1436341821777535000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1436312538405351451