Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

~magic~

edit; gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

~bathing~

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

itry posted:

If you work in the fields all day I'd expect to see some dirt on you. Not to mention a serious tan.

The story starts at the end of winter so not much chance for a tan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully the thread won't be as nitpicky. Otherwise it's gonna be a bad time. Like why is Hurley still fat bad time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Also one thing that I think generally isn't highlighted but is kinda important is that the setting isn't supposed to be the classical medieval knights and swords stuff, it's actually supposed to be similar to the 18th century just without the spread of gunpowder. Colonial era stuff with katanas.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GreenNight posted:

Hopefully the thread won't be as nitpicky. Otherwise it's gonna be a bad time. Like why is Hurley still fat bad time.

Did you not read the GoT threads?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

Did you not read the GoT threads?

I did not. I watched the entire show but I stayed out of those threads.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

feedmyleg posted:

I want fantasy shows to look like the fantasy art I grew up with. Bright, colorful, clean, weird. If anything, it's the last one that these shows never really hit for me. But dirt and grime? Why should realism be the goal with fantasy? This show doesn't take place in medieval Europe and has no need for historical accuracy because that term doesn't apply to this world. The grime worked for Game of Thrones because that show was about the ugliness inherent to that world. I don't want "grounded" fantasy. I want fantastical fantasy.

I've been shouting this from rooftops for years. I'm so sick of everything needing to be dirty, gritty, and grey to be considered art for grownups. I have enough dystopian misery in my real life thank you very much, gimme bright colors and fantastical imagery.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CainsDescendant posted:

I've been shouting this from rooftops for years. I'm so sick of everything needing to be dirty, gritty, and grey to be considered art for grownups. I have enough dystopian misery in my real life thank you very much, gimme bright colors and fantastical imagery.

It's why Nintendo does so well still.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of the people shown in the trailer are not ones to be digging around in the dirt for a multitude of reasons

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GreenNight posted:

I did not. I watched the entire show but I stayed out of those threads.

Smart call

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vavrek posted:

Actually, now I'm curious: thread poll, how many other goons here haven't seen Game of Thrones?

I haven't seen any Game of Thrones episodes, except for clips/gifs/etc. that float around the internet. I also only read the first of the books before deciding I didn't like them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Torrannor posted:

I haven't seen any Game of Thrones episodes, except for clips/gifs/etc. that float around the internet. I also only read the first of the books before deciding I didn't like them.

This is a blessed existence tbh

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Game of Thrones seasons that were book adaptations were really good, great TV. I have never read any of those books.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That trailer does look off, but it also looks like the cgi isn't done, which could be why.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Donnerberg posted:

And the starting vibe of the world is supposed to be the Shire from LOTR on a good day anyway. No cause for concern yet.
I agree with the people above who say everything shouldn't be grimdark aesthetic (although I don't think fantasy stuff that is bright and colourful tends to be very successful among general audiences)... but just wanted to mention, what you've said here isn't quite right if I remember the beginning of the first book correctly. Moderate spoiler from the first chapter of Book 1: the first book begins at a time when it seems to the characters like there is a highly unusual blight upon the land; there's lots of descriptions of stuff like the brown dead grass on the village common, the grey lifeless landscape, calves being stillborn etc. etc. So it's a far cry from the Shire from LOTR except maybe if you're talking about the Scouring of the Shire type stuff, heh. I had actually totally forgotten this was the case until your comment jogged my memory btw.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Upgrade posted:

The Borderlands are basically muddy military camps.

I don't think that's really true. At least not the major cities that we see. A not insignificant portion of the text in Fal Dara, for example, is devoted to discussing bathing and bathing customs.

Indeed even at the small inns our protagonists visit throughout the continent the first thing they often do is bathe. I think in general the characters in this series are quite inclined towards cleanliness, when they do go somewhere filthy or go too long without being able to clean up they're constantly complaining about it, at least inside their own heads.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

El Grillo posted:

I agree with the people above who say everything shouldn't be grimdark aesthetic (although I don't think fantasy stuff that is bright and colourful tends to be very successful among general audiences)... but just wanted to mention, what you've said here isn't quite right if I remember the beginning of the first book correctly. Moderate spoiler from the first chapter of Book 1: the first book begins at a time when it seems to the characters like there is a highly unusual blight upon the land; there's lots of descriptions of stuff like the brown dead grass on the village common, the grey lifeless landscape, calves being stillborn etc. etc. So it's a far cry from the Shire from LOTR except maybe if you're talking about the Scouring of the Shire type stuff, heh. I had actually totally forgotten this was the case until your comment jogged my memory btw.

Good point. It just dawned on me how much I've forgot about the series.

Like the naming convention for combat techniques. That was a clever way to describe fights without getting into minutiae. Not much use for the names in the show I imagine. It would be funny if they yelled them anime style though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

El Grillo posted:

Yes, but it's (treated as the) tail end of a somewhat unusually long winter. Some people are going hungry, there's a few False Dragons who are laying waste to Other Places, but by and large people aren't yet feeling it to a significant enough extent. The dirt, grime, upheaval and disorder are still in the future, and when it happens the series makes a point of showing it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yes, but it's (treated as the) tail end of a somewhat unusually long winter. Some people are going hungry, there's a few False Dragons who are laying waste to Other Places, but by and large people aren't yet feeling it to a significant enough extent. The dirt, grime, upheaval and disorder are still in the future, and when it happens the series makes a point of showing it.
(book 1 spoilers) It's more than that. The winter lasts through all of book 1, if I remember right. And the confrontation at the Eye of the World, and how the power of it gets used up, was what made the long winter end. When they come out of the blight afterwards, spring has come overnight. So I think there is a bit more to make of it aesthetically than I previously remembered. Seems like it's a major theme of book 1, though I don't know that it's ever properly explained what it was and why it ended (just vague stuff from Moiraine about how a great victory was struck for the Light, etc.). Maybe they could just discard it entirely, given the lack of explanation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

El Grillo posted:

(book 1 spoilers) It's more than that. The winter lasts through all of book 1, if I remember right. And the confrontation at the Eye of the World, and how the power of it gets used up, was what made the long winter end. When they come out of the blight afterwards, spring has come overnight. So I think there is a bit more to make of it aesthetically than I previously remembered. Seems like it's a major theme of book 1, though I don't know that it's ever properly explained what it was and why it ended (just vague stuff from Moiraine about how a great victory was struck for the Light, etc.). Maybe they could just discard it entirely, given the lack of explanation.

The book 1 weather fuckery is definitely inessential. It's a nice thing to point back to later as great setup but you can easily get by with dropping it

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah. Although it does perhaps help just a little bit in differentiating the beginning from the over-used LOTR-inspired 'unknown ordinary folk are uprooted from their idyllic farming backwater and go on a quest' thing. Also maybe helped add a little bit to the creepy atmosphere of the first scene with the Fade. I suspect they have left it out though yeah.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

El Grillo posted:

Ugh can we take this to the book barn spoiler thread the long winter is a precursor to the long summer that starts in book 5. The Dark One is loving with the world. But the long winter hasn't stretched on for like 6 months longer at this point, we're only to a really late spring. People are living off of stores from the previous harvest and worrying about the future because they have not been able to plant anything yet, but overall the world itself has not begun to feel threatened. Things start crumbling when the shortened planting season this upcoming year goes right into a drought the year after that.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Donnerberg posted:

Good point. It just dawned on me how much I've forgot about the series.

Like the naming convention for combat techniques. That was a clever way to describe fights without getting into minutiae. Not much use for the names in the show I imagine. It would be funny if they yelled them anime style though.

The sword form names are one of my favorite moments of low-key genius on part of the author. For those unfamiliar or who have forgotten: throughout the series, the classically trained swordfighters all refer to different sword moves with these incredibly poetic and evocative names. As in, "The Boar Rushes Down the Mountain", "The Swallow Takes Flight", "Parting the Silk". The reason I think this is brilliant: in a written medium, trying to visually describe the appearance of a swordfight, and make clear the tactics being used (as a trained swordfighter would understand them), and have this description conjure the right set of emotions to place the reader in the fighter's headspace ... that's a huge challenge. So instead, it's a cultural tradition that everyone refers to positions/movements/tactics with these emotionally evocative names. It's a worldbuilding detail that allows the author to cut out the unimportant part of depicting a fight in text (what it would look like to see it on screen) while preserving the important part (what the back-and-forth of the fight is, what the mental state of each fighter is, and their appraisal of their opponent).

It's something I could see being entirely cut from a visual adaptation, because it serves a role not needed there, but I expect they'll keep it as small detail during any sword training scenes that might show up.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I think the names are only ever spoken aloud once in the entire books and it was during a training scene so that would track.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

MadHat posted:

I think the names are only ever spoken aloud once in the entire books and it was during a training scene so that would track.

Lan training Rand because Rand's sword is blademasters sword, and he needs training so some rando doesn't kill him

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
re: dave hill, I dont know the guy, and his shame is going to be a meme forever, but I am a writer and I would ask you to show me the writer that didn't write poo poo a thousand times before they wrote a purple passage. You do that, and I will show you a liar.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Olly was not only the one that killed Ygritte, he also delivered the fatal blow to Jon Snow. The show had a problem where if audiences liked something they ended up overdoing it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/TheoryWheel/status/1436096419081900040?s=20

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's great! Hopefully the buzz continues to build.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah that sounds really positive. Guess people really are looking for the next GoT/LOTR type fix!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Apparently Sanderson was discussing the trailer (as well just his general existence in relation to the show) on one of his recent livestreams -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4AR2vnjwg&t=620s

"The changes are larger than those with Game of Thrones, and it'd be best if fans view this adaptation as a different turning of the wheel from the books"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pretty fine by me. there's a lot of really choice moments that i hope to see get put on tv but there's also some stuff that i honestly feel could do with a once-over to mix them up a bit, if not just get rid of them to some degree. i feel like the show people in charge are well enough aware of a lot of the things people will definitely want to see, if nothing else.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Calling it now, Falme is out

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sab669 posted:

Apparently Sanderson was discussing the trailer (as well just his general existence in relation to the show) on one of his recent livestreams -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4AR2vnjwg&t=620s

"The changes are larger than those with Game of Thrones, and it'd be best if fans view this adaptation as a different turning of the wheel from the books"

That all tracks. His analogy with Lord of the Rings is pretty apt, I think. There's plenty of fans who howled about Tom Bombadil being cut, and a minority who still grumble about it even today, but most folks adjusted themselves and enjoyed it for what it was. I'm optimistic the WoT fan base can do the same. There's always the chance that the cast or the sfx could totally fumble this thing but at this point I'm just happy to see what they've made

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rarity posted:

That's like the first major thing in the books that's uniquely WoT-ish so I would certainly hope not.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

One way to cut Falme would be to just combine Seanchan invading and Rand pulling Callandor out together, but then you have to explain why they're invading at Tear or move the Stone to Falme.

Either way... let's see how this works.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Not So Fast posted:

One way to cut Falme would be to just combine Seanchan invading and Rand pulling Callandor out together, but then you have to explain why they're invading at Tear or move the Stone to Falme.

Either way... let's see how this works.

My thinking was move Rand declaring himself Dragon and Mat blowing the Horn to Tarwin's Gap then delay the Seanchan until they invade for real in book 6. It saves you hiring actors who might go and find regular work elsewhere while you're waiting for them to come back

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I like the framing of "a different turning of the wheel."

Thom has a great line, somewhere, about how the stories that get told change countless details over time, and how, "who knows, maybe they'll make me the hero when they tell our story."

What I'm saying is, this Moiraine-focused stuff is fine, but now I want WoT-Entirely-From-Thom's-POV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Vavrek posted:

I like the framing of "a different turning of the wheel."

Yea, it's the same story we all know but just a little different.

Unrelated, I looked up Balefire on the wikia site and it has a subsection titled "Notable people balefired" and for some reason that just really made me laugh :allears: