Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

There's 9 million cases, there's no more monetary support, and evictions are back on the table. Whether you like it or not, this is the hand we are dealt, so life, to some extent, needs to proceed as close to normal as possible.

From now on let's just assume if people want to go to Disney right now, they are doing so because it is within their tolerance for risk. Stop making people feel guilty or like poo poo for trying to go on vacation because they aren't as worried as you are about the virus (because the vaccine is highly effective and I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary). COVID is not going away and lockdowns make no sense at this point when the vaccine is the best and least detrimental option to curb spread and serious illness.

See we just passionately disagree on this. We do not need to try "normal" when it ends up with thousands dead every day and rapidly increasing. Evictions drat sure shouldn't be on the table and we should be trying to force the rich shitheads on the hill to actually fund something instead of letting them crack the whip and sending shitloads of wage slaves back to long-term illness and/or preventable death.

I was all for heading down to Disney later on this year when cases were 10k> daily (and we were at like what, 70 deaths a day low count? something like that?) but it was 160,000 new cases yesterday alone. That's more than the population of some mid-sized cities.

We did this whole "risk tolerance" stuff last year and now we've got delta, lambda, mu, and everybody else that's come along for the ride specifically because "risk tolerance" differences breed this poo poo. The vaccine is great. I'm loudly pro-vax. I've gotten so many people appointments and talked so many more into getting their jabs. The vaxes are gonna fail if we keep breeding crazier variants by tolerating risk at the rate we are.

Someone asking how crowds are gonna be is relative to covid because covid spreads in crowds. This is what I said:

quote:

The Mu variant is just beginning its spread and is showing a lot of vaccine resistance. It's probably a really, really bad idea. The parks are likely to be hell crowded until at least the week after new years', unless Mu just eats like half the population.

This isn't guilt-tripping. I just said it's a real bad idea and yes, the park is likely to be crowded as poo poo unless there's a ton of dead folks or whatever (because then some people would likely cancel their reservations).

E:

Craptacular! posted:

You just told me that you'd be celebrating at my COVID funeral. Why do you think I could possibly be angry or spiteful?

I said I'd be performing it because I'm a minister that's done over 700 of these loving things for covid patients not performing AT it.

also this?

Craptacular! posted:

It's about time we stop trying to be nice about it because you're trying to protect people and have your heart in the right place, and just start calling you a dumbass.

"time to be vicious to the person I don't like! ha!" says a lot more about you than it does me. what was that you said? if you don't like my posting, you don't have to reply to it. :qq:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

-The vaccinated are dying at more than 0.1%. but I'm glad the thousands who have died are just a percentage point to you.
No they aren't. Even in your super scary link that was supposed to scare us it was 0.004%

According to the CDC as of 9/7 2,675 out of 176,000,000 vaccinated people have died, that's 0.0015%
11,115 have been hospitalized, so 0.008%

quote:

And then there's Mu (e: which did not pop up in june and disappear, what? https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210909/mu-covid-variant-qa it's happily hopping around right now, if a bit slower than delta) , the vaccine dodging rear end in a top hat variant, which only has early reporting to read on right now.
I don't think you read that link because the conclusion is basically "eh, we should keep an eye on it" not "OH GOD THE SKY IS loving FALLING"

quote:

You also have to keep in mind the link I linked is best-case scenario. It's a super high vax area. FL is not.
Can you think of any reason why a super high vax area might have a higher percentage of hospitalizations be among vaccinated people?
I'll help you out, pretend an area is 100% vaccinated, what percentage of hospitalizations do you think would be among vaccinated people?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Disney should absolutely be requiring proof of vaccination and maybe even rapid tests on kids <12, but shutting everything down again just isn't going to happen barring something catastrophic happening and vaccinated people hunkering down and never leaving their houses isn't gonna stop something catastrophic from happening if it's gonna happen

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

There's nothing yikes about it, Fluffy Bunnies is the worst poster here.

Oh no, you misunderstood, that was directed towards you saying you were happy to see certain people die and then going berserk when you were told that’s not ok.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RCarr posted:

Oh no, you misunderstood, that was directed towards you saying you were happy to see certain people die and then going berserk when you were told that’s not ok.

No, I knew that when I wrote that. I said that these claims need to be backed soon or we're all going to start calling bullshit on them. The response I got was, paraphrased, "I will see you at your funeral."

Irritated but calm, I pointed out that the funerals that are going on are people who are dumb enough to not take the vaccine and I'm out of patience for them. Then the person who told me told me that they'll come to my grave to tell that they told me so said that I should be more compassionate for people. THAT was when I lost it. I admit to being a ghoul devoid of empathy watching COVID destroy the GOP base, I've said something to the effect in some D&D threads. But I can see the hypocrisy of someone telling me that they can't wait for MY funeral telling me that I'm a cruel person for expecting someone else's.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Disney should make ventilators with little mouse ears on top.

Yeah but quips like this are neither helpful or friendly to this thread, and if I felt like spending the time, I can probably find half a dozen similar in the last few months from you.
I love ya Fluffy and probably one of the folks in this thread that is more tolerable of your stance on this, but I don't think lot of your recent posting has been healthy for anyone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We have all done our part to protect the morons, we do not have the governmental support to do more (shutting down) so gently caress you for telling us we have to do more than we even can to protect the assholes. This is on them now. There's nothing more we can do.

Please stop making GBS threads the thread with doomspam and misinformation that makes people think vaccines aren't effective. Maybe take a break from the thread if you can't help but post THE PARKS SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN PEOPLE ARE DYING 10x a day.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Hey just popping into say shut the gently caress up about covid and go back to talking about the tea cups or whatever. Thanks!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So…

Monorails?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HHN yo

How are the nasty sugar drinks this year lmao

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Luigi Thirty posted:

So…

Monorails?

I hear those things are awfully loud.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Hey just popping into say shut the gently caress up about covid and go back to talking about the tea cups or whatever. Thanks!

I can tell you chose "teacups" as a way to be condescending to us for caring about Walt Disney World, Mr. Anime Avatar.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Has anyone done the Halloween stuff at Disneyland? We have tickets for Halloween night and want to know what to expect. My wife and I have literally never been to either California park, so maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse a bit here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I can tell you chose "teacups" as a way to be condescending to us for caring about Walt Disney World, Mr. Anime Avatar.

Havinh no avatar to rep your passions is cowardice!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a nice short video about all the possibilities Universal's Epic Universe plot of land holds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOZruo4vjVc

Basically enough to double the size of the resort with two theme parks, an entertainment district double the size of CityWalk (or a small one and a second water park), and multiple hotels. Of course, aside from the first park, the area will probably open with just one or two hotels and maybe a small dining/shopping/entertainment section, and a second park would likely be at least a decade after the official opening of the first one.

Roth posted:

Havinh no avatar to rep your passions is cowardice!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

So…

Monorails?

Did you know the firepeople carry service dogs out by hand if they get stuck? :3:

And they have dog life jackets just in case, too.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Has anyone done the Halloween stuff at Disneyland? We have tickets for Halloween night and want to know what to expect. My wife and I have literally never been to either California park, so maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse a bit here.

DCA has all the cool Oogie Boogie overlay stuff, but it closes early for the separately ticketed event. I’m going for regular park operation next week so I can update after that.

They also just announced a separate Xmas event which is bad news for thing to come.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fartington Butts posted:

DCA has all the cool Oogie Boogie overlay stuff, but it closes early for the separately ticketed event. I’m going for regular park operation next week so I can update after that.

They also just announced a separate Xmas event which is bad news for thing to come.

Yeah, we have tickets to the Halloween party and a 3 day ticket on top of that.

I guess I should probably ask for a good crash course on DCA and DL in general.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yes. That's it. That was what my focus was on, not the dumb slapfight about covid.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm gonna reboot the thread to a general Theme Park thread, does anyone have suggestions for what should be in the OP?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Roth posted:

I'm gonna reboot the thread to a general Theme Park thread, does anyone have suggestions for what should be in the OP?

Maybe break up theme parks by states/countries?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgJmEJLI6g

It looks weird without the first part being over a Lagoon.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

We had this discussion a few weeks ago. We could probably just rename this thread. "A salute to all theme parks but mostly Walt Disney World" is a good title, but "General Amusement/Theme Park discussion" would work too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We had this discussion a few weeks ago. We could probably just rename this thread. "A salute to all theme parks but mostly Walt Disney World" is a good title, but "General Amusement/Theme Park discussion" would work too.

It is a glorious 3-page thread.

You got a post and a half!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Roth posted:

Probably separate sections on:

Walt Disney World
DisneyLand
Universal Orlando

...With general information on each (ie. the four parks and satellite properties of Disney World, Universal Studios vs. Islands of Adventure, that sort of thing). I'd say 95% of the discussion in the thread revolves around those three resorts.

It wouldn't hurt to have a small FAQ in each section. We see a lot of the same questions over and over:
- What are my lodging options / Should I stay on- or off-property?
- What's the best way to get around? Should I rent a car? Buses? Uber/Lyft?
- How do advance dining reservations work?
- How do ride reservations/fastpass/whatever work?
- What are the major annual events at each park? (Food and Wine Festival, Halloween Horror Nights, etc.).

And maybe a list of goon-recommended smaller parks? Cedar Point, DollyWood, Silver Dollar City, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens? The overseas Disney properties? All of them get talked about here occasionally, but it's probably not worth going into details in an OP.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

couldcareless posted:

"A salute to all theme parks, but mostly Disney"

Not to toot my own horn, but I already wrote the new thread title for you.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I do think the article fuzzy bunnies posted is cause for concern. Specifically, this bit:

quote:

In the last week alone, 4,415 new breakthrough cases -- infections in people who have been vaccinated -- have been reported. Health officials said 111 of the new breakthrough cases resulted in hospitalization, or about 0.02% of all fully vaccinated individuals.

Pulling the data from the state's covid dashboard here and assuming "in the last week" refers to aug 31st - sep 6 (article was posted the 8th and there appears to be a two day lag in reporting), there were a total of 9744 new cases that week. That means 45% of the last week's new cases were in vaccinated people! And 0.02% of all fully vaccinated people is a weird way to frame the number of hospitalizations. The proper way to frame it is how many of the infected, vaccinated people went to the hospital. That's 111 of 4415 or 2.51%.

But the article gives us cheery stats like this one that, very importantly, aren't connected to a time period.

quote:

The breakthrough cases represent just a small percentage -- about 0.53% -- of the more than 4.5 million people who have been vaccinated and the deaths an even smaller percentage -- just 0.004%
It doesn't really matter the total % of vaccinated population who have gotten sick. What matters is the rate at which they are getting sick! And when they account for 45% of the last week's cases, that rate seems to be quite high!

Still, that doesn't give us an idea of our individual risk. For every one vaccinated person who got sick maybe 10 didn't. Or 20. Who knows? Luckily, WaPo had an article today with updated data about vaccine effectiveness for delta https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/10/moderna-most-effective-covid-vaccine-studies/

quote:

The report estimated that vaccine effectiveness against infection dropped from 90 percent in the first part of that period, when delta had not yet gained significant traction, to under 80 percent from mid-June to mid-July, when delta began out-competing all other strains of the virus. Effectiveness against hospitalization and death showed barely any decline during the entire period.

“Still achieving 80 percent is a very good number,” said Mehul Suthar, a virologist at Emory University who studies the coronavirus. “These vaccines still hold up against a highly transmissible variant.”

But that's infection. Numbers are a bit better for ER visits and for hospitalization.

quote:

Overall effectiveness in preventing emergency department or urgent care trips was 82 percent. Effectiveness was highest among Moderna recipients (92 percent), followed by Pfizer (77 percent) and then Johnson & Johnson (65 percent).

While the three vaccines were collectively 86 percent effective in preventing hospitalization, protection was significantly higher among Moderna vaccine recipients (95 percent) than among those who got Pfizer-BioNTech (80 percent) or Johnson & Johnson (60 percent).

Depending on your vaccine type you could have quite good protection or quite mediocre protection. The WaPo article also discusses the concern of waning immunity from the vaccines.

Long covid risk is 5% (vaccinated) vs 11% (unvaccinated) https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58410354. I consider long covid risk almost as large a concern as death or hospitalization as it could mean being disabled and unable to work. I know someone who has been disabled by long covid since February of 2020.

I don't have the source for it but I know I saw somewhere that outcomes among hospitalized patients were the same whether vaxxed or not. Maybe someone has that one handy or can correct me.

Relating this back to a trip to WDW, I would be concerned about the overall level of covid case rate in the area even as a vaccinated, masked person. I suspect it is quite difficult to understand the true case rate in WDW by looking at the Orange County numbers since park guests are likely to be visitors and only pop positive once they return home. Nonetheless I would guess that since the overall case rate in the US is high, the same is true at WDW. Every time you attend a crowded event at WDW or take your mask off indoors, you're giving another roll of the dice on those vaccine protection numbers.

Personally, I will not go back until case rates are down and my children are vaccinated. Depending on what you're concerned about, infection (w/ 5% chance long covid), ER visit, hospitalization, or death, I guess you can look at the percentages and see what you feel comfortable with.

edit: sorry, I wrote this before I saw the no more covid chat posts

Dren fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 10, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

OP will need all the photos of Disney Quests

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fluffdaddy posted:

This please. I decided not to slap any of the reports I got but I'm going to start probating all of them from now on. This thread has been vaccinated and breakthroughs will go to the freezer truck morgues in the parking lot.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I already wrote the new thread title for you.

I know, I just couldn't remember who said it and didn't feel like finding it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was thinking informational sections for Florida and Southern California covering the major parks in each area since those are the big theme park places in the US, and maybe highlight some other relatively famous parks like Cedar Point, Hershey, Alton Towers.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Roth posted:

I was thinking informational sections for Florida and Southern California covering the major parks in each area since those are the big theme park places in the US, and maybe highlight some other relatively famous parks like Cedar Point, Hershey, Alton Towers.

Agreed. As a SoCal native, I might be interested in contributing a short writeup on DLR.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm way happy to post and keep posting about military disney stuff, as well as DAS and service dog stuff (because I'm still learning it and holy poo poo it's a whole other level of disney parks; you can't even take your service dog overseas basically) or do a writeup or whatever is most helpful

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

I’ll probably effortpost about our DLR trip when we get back and I’m trying to avoid working on Monday, but one of the insane pleasant surprises was Disneyland’s Halloween show. I can’t confirm the quality/quantity of the pyro - it was projection only last night - but it’s literally Hallowishes with Jack narrating the Ghost Host’s script. The small world facade projections were excellent, and the area was very uncrowded. It made me very happy; I thought we’d never see Hallowishes again. I love that soundtrack.

Edit: I guess you can put me down as a contact for Silver Dollar City information, if we’re talking about how we can contribute to the thread, haha.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Roth posted:

Ohio, Virginia, and Texas are the other big theme park states. Maybe Pennsylvania too.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

I think if we do go the "separate threads" route, one thread should be for Florida theme parks and another for Southern California theme parks. These are the two biggest "destination" theme park vacations that people in the US take, and people interested in discussing Walt Disney World are also likely going to be interested in discussing Universal, SeaWorld, and Busch as well. These parks go hand in hand, have constant news to discuss, and require a lot of pre-planning and knowledge. It's a similar situation for the Southern California theme parks.

All other parks could get a "regional theme parks" megathread because I don't think the rest would generate enough discussion individually to warrant their own threads or even regional threads. Regional parks are typically a day or weekend trip for most people and don't require much planning and have less to discuss. Even as it is, this is the most popular thread in the travel subforum. For instance, I don't think even Universal Orlando by itself would generate enough discussion to warrant its own thread.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I can contribute to write ups for WDW and some for DLR, but right now WDW stuff is changing and it might be good to wait on that until we have more concrete and not rumor info about the Genie service.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The LA Times today did a story about wait times being super low, and probably the reservation system is responsible.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'd probably consolidate it still into one thread. We're enough dedicated weirdos in here that we take in news for everywhere.

Most of us can, but I'd be happy to contribute the adults side of Disney and boozing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I see no reason to split up the thread topics.

"A salute to theme parks, but mostly Disney World" is correct.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times a non florida or socal park has been mentioned in the last 3 months, those don't need a thread.