Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nobody in North America said "jab" until this particular jab became a thing. Now it's a shibboleth for "rear end in a top hat idiot who drives or aspires to drive an F150 King Ranch"

If you ever manage to travel abroad again, keep the bolded part in mind lest you start screaming at a border worker or random person on the street who is using a perfectly acceptable and common colloquialism.

Tiggum posted:

No, it's just over-used and used in contexts where more formal language would be more appropriate. Like, every day on the news they're talking about how many "jabs" were administered today, and all the politicians and spokespeople telling you to "get your jab", etc.

Politicians? Don't you guys call them :barf: congresscritters :barf: instead of the proper term Member of the United States(pbuh) CongressTM?

e: also I hope you're not so gauche as to use the term "chud" instead of Holder Of Strong Right-Wing Beliefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Knormal posted:

Actually, bows and arrows were rendered obsolete by firearms around 500 years ago, so there's her first mistake.

You try telling that to Jack Churchill.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tiggum finally feels like how we all feel when he calls candy lollies.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Corr, I sure hope me ol' mum gets me some lollies for me crimbo pressies.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Watch the video, he's not even claiming to be a pilot. He's saying that his dad told him that he heard some pilots walked out. lmao

LOL

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Weatherman posted:

Politicians? Don't you guys call them :barf: congresscritters :barf: instead of the proper term Member of the United States(pbuh) CongressTM?

e: also I hope you're not so gauche as to use the term "chud" instead of Holder Of Strong Right-Wing Beliefs

This is such a ridiculous comparison to draw that I have to assume it was made in just the worst faith possible

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

gbut posted:

I always assumed the back sheath to be hinged/connected only at the top, so that you can pull it out forward and down instead of having to do it upwards.

I have absolutely no idea how swording works, not have I ever held a blade larger than a kitchen knife, but you see, I have this theory....

If it helps back sheaths for swords were essentially not a thing, for European swords anyway. You'd never be able to draw it.

I think we can all agree the real degenerates are the west coast of Scotland folk who say 'jag' not jab

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Those Scots sure are a contentious bunch

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Of loving course the yanks prefer getting shot instead of jabbed…

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They just had a guy carry your big sword. Swordbearer.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
When I got the vaccine my doctor took my arm and told me I would feel a small prick and I did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

For real I feel like wanker asymmetry isn't actually a thing, or it would be super obvious

I suppose it depends how much you have to wank and how vigorously you wank it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fister Roboto posted:

Also get ready for some 9/11 takes so hot they could melt steel beams.

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1436343956581801985

“Believed in cancel culture”? The hell does that even mean.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You heard of Salman Rushdie

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weatherman posted:

If you ever manage to travel abroad again, keep the bolded part in mind lest you start screaming at a border worker or random person on the street who is using a perfectly acceptable and common colloquialism.

Yes, and? Nobody in North America is an orc, either. My experience, even, as a service industry dude in Toulouse and points south, is that US-americans and canadians are vastly better tourists than the godawful UK, german, or chinese tourists, rona or no.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

AlbieQuirky posted:

Anyone who says “jab” these days is just :ughh:

Beartaco posted:

What, why? :psyduck:

Sorry, my bad. I should have said “anyone in the US who says ‘jab’” because

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nobody in North America said "jab" until this particular jab became a thing. Now it's a shibboleth for "rear end in a top hat idiot who drives or aspires to drive an F150 King Ranch"

I accept the shame of my thoughtlessness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RatHat posted:

“Believed in cancel culture”? The hell does that even mean.

quote:

Al-Qaeda militants were early adopters of cancel culture, of raging against that which gives offence. Again, this outlook appeared to come less from the external world of realpolitik, of interests and aims, and more from the internal world of feeling and sentiment. It was not surprising when al-Zawahiri, who appears to have been al-Qaeda’s chief No Platformer, celebrated the assault on the offices of Charlie Hebdo in 2015. Indeed, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), of which al-Zawahiri was leader, claimed responsibility for the Charlie Hebdo attack. Al-Zawahiri made a statement shortly after the attack, describing it as payback for the blasphemers, as a just attack on ‘immoral Westerners who left their Christianity and assaulted the Prophet of Islam’. I have argued before that the two mass murderers who carried out the assault on Charlie Hebdo were essentially ‘the armed wing of political correctness’, seeking to punish, to cancel, those who hurt their feelings. This was a theme developed by al-Zawahiri himself in the years before the Charlie Hebdo massacre – the need to censor, with violence if necessary, those who seek to erase our identity.

:lmao:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aramoro posted:

If it helps back sheaths for swords were essentially not a thing, for European swords anyway. You'd never be able to draw it.

I think we can all agree the real degenerates are the west coast of Scotland folk who say 'jag' not jab

who rattled embras cage?

(Chippy sauce here isnt wrong about the back sheaths though, IIRC some european mercenaries used to carry their greatswords on their back when travelling, but not if they were actually going to be in a fight, it was just a way of transporting a giant piece of metal if you didnt have access to a horse)

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Sep 11, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Jeb!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Push El Burrito posted:

When I got the vaccine my doctor took my arm and told me I would feel a small prick and I did.

you're not supposed to stick your hand down the doctor's pants

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fister Roboto posted:

Also get ready for some 9/11 takes so hot they could melt steel beams.

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1436343956581801985

We've waited twenty years and finally it's here: The Worst 9/11 Take™.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

what the gently caress

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The Charlie Hebdo attack was the same as that time I got banned from Twitter for calling James Harden then n word

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

what the gently caress

Look you just can not operate on the same mindplane as brendan o neill, his gigantic fivehead conceals a powerful, alien intellect that pulsates and writhes, heeding the ebb and flow of sophistric tides beyond the ken of human thinkflesh. Until the day comes when you are subsumed into the spikedbrain and become one with the living marxism your place is simply to grovel like a baby bird and let him spew his wisdom into your gaping craw.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:psyduck: Everyone I know who says "jab" is an urbane millennial liberal or leftist encouraging other people to "get the jab."

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
It's almost like the USA is a gigantic country with hundreds of millions of people using thousands of regional slang terms cross-pollinating constantly or something.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Everyone I ever heard talking about "the jab" prior to Covid was a heroin addict near Chicago talking about heroin.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

:psyduck: Everyone I know who says "jab" is an urbane millennial liberal or leftist encouraging other people to "get the jab."

Literally the only place I see it is on the Something Awful Forums.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Perfectly healthy"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh poo poo, 2 pages since Olivia Munn poo poo? Oh boy, let’s go. She’s one of the few celebs I’ve had human interactions with, and seemed ok. But goddamn she’s the hardest working woman in sho biz from my perspective, as she hosted all the technical oscars and emmies I’ve been to.

It stinks to support her since I love Shane Black’s work and she risked her career to call him out, but poo poo she was right.

This also gets a bit personal, as my wife feels betrayed by him (goyum with Jewish wife) the way I did by Louis CK (gen-x dad that’s not a predator).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
what

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know we’ve moved on but I need you to know that I once saw Olivia Munn at a Starbucks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Well I saw her on the screen in a cinema!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will say Shane Black’s body of work has gotten worse and worse as he’s gotten older. His great work was of course the movie with the Predator.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Not The Predator.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Predator with the predator.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Predator predator predator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

oldpainless posted:

Predator predator predator

Common name, the Western Lowland Predator.