Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BioEnchanted posted:

They haven't eliminated poverty, they've basically made it illegal. Denis Leary is a homeless guy who was forced underground with other people who were subsequently ignored by the rich people enjoying the utopia.

I just rewatched it recently and he said they specifically choose to live in the sewers. He says they could live up top but it has to be Cocteau's way or they can live in a sewer and starve to death but they get to do cusses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

On the surface it's illegal to gently caress

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Also remember that a lot of the time, you want the enemy to hear they're being shot at so they take cover or run away. Suppressive fire is less effective if the enemy don't know they're being suppressed.

...Suppressive fire doesn't work because of the noise of gunfire coming from the shooter :v:

Suppressive fire works because the target being suppressed is hearing bullets flying around them and hitting things very close to them. Which is very very very pants shittingly terrifying even if there isn't a loud noise accompanying it.
You know when you're being shot at and you quickly realize that at that point you no longer wish to be standing or trying to engage from that location.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
For some reason I'm remembering this quote from 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy':

Douglas Adams posted:

The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. ‘Make it evil,’ he’d been told. ‘Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Too bad Wesley Snipes went insane and doesn't make movies anymore

Check out Dolemite is My Name.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Crespolini posted:

On the surface it's illegal to gently caress

They have some kind of vr sex. Just because it's incomprehensible to the violence-boomer cop doesn't mean it's actually bad.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I mean, they already did the undercover Hulk storyline years ago with Joe Fixit.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The vr sex in Demolition Man is actually incredible, but it focuses more on female pleasure so Stallone's primitive brain rejects it like it's the first version of the Matrix.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Demolition Man is the lesser of the two movies with Sylvester Stallone and Rob Schneider

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

oldpainless posted:

Demolition Man is the lesser of the two movies with Sylvester Stallone and Rob Schneider

more like oldboggleless

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

oldpainless posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority that enjoyed Judge Dredd but this is a bridge too far.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority that enjoyed Judge Dredd but this is a bridge too far.

You aren't alone. I stand by the fact that Judge Dredd is much better than "Dredd" and I'll die on this hill. I can accept double whammies and someone trying to protect rob schneider, but all that psychic stuff in the remake? absurd.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
To be faaaaiiiiirrrrrr…

Judge Anderson did have psychic powers in the comics, so the Dredd movie still followed established canon.

I liked the dense worldbuilding of the Stallone movie, even if it probably bit off more than it could chew.

Urban's movie was a sleek "day in the life of" flick and was able to capture the essence with very little filler.

I liked both for very different reasons. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I like to pretend that the comic doesn't exist. Stallone's dredd is the canon to me. I also mix judge dredd up with demolition man in my head all the time, so dredd knows about the three seashells. He is, the law.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're not comics, they're progs :colbert:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I liked them both too, but the first one had this bad boy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gromit posted:

I liked them both too, but the first one had this bad boy:

The ABC Warrior is :krad: and definitely one of the reasons the Stallone movie rules.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I REALLY love that 1980s British sci-fi aesthetic epitomized by 2,000AD / Judge Dredd, old Games Workshop, Heavy Metal (the magazine), NWOBHM album art, Alan Moore comics, etc.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You aren't alone. I stand by the fact that Judge Dredd is much better than "Dredd" and I'll die on this hill.
Well I'll hazard a guess that whatever you died of was even more embarrassing than this opinion

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mr. Grapes! posted:

EDIT: In a similar topic: Is there any medieval/fantasy movie in which armor actually matters? Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, whatever, they like to make a big deal about how armor is important but in any given battle scene it is entirely irrelevant and arrows will penetrate it just as well.

I think half the people who remember Macbeth 1971 do so entirely because the armor actually matters a whole lot. https://youtu.be/YOp-t5akdWQ

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My father's irrationally irritating movie moment about From Hell: He was watching the scene where Johnny Depp's character put coins on of Jack the Ripper's victims' eyes and says that it's tradition in order to pay the ferryman. Then my father, almost angrily, blurts out: "That's not why they did it, they did to keep the eyelids closed."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

To be faaaaiiiiirrrrrr…

Judge Anderson did have psychic powers in the comics, so the Dredd movie still followed established canon.

The Urban movie is a lot less absurd than the comic which has seen Dredd tackling aliens, ghosts and at one point arresting Satan.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Alhazred posted:

The Urban movie is a lot less absurd than the comic which has seen Dredd tackling aliens, ghosts and at one point arresting Satan.
In case that wasn't clear: yes, Dredd goes up against Xenomorphs in the comics

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh, easy, it was this thread that I did a breakdown of notables:

FFT posted:

Notable comic crossovers:

Batman versus Predator (1991)
Batman versus Predator II: Bloodmatch (1993)
Superman vs. Aliens (1995)
Tarzan versus Predator: At the Earth's Core (1996)
Batman/Aliens (1997)
Predator versus Judge Dredd (1997)
Batman versus Predator III: Blood Ties (1997)
Overkill: Witchblade/Aliens/Darkness/Predator (1999)
Aliens versus Predator versus The Terminator (2000)
Superman vs. Predator (2000)
Green Lantern versus Aliens (2000)
Witchblade/Aliens/Darkness/Predator: Mindhunter (2000)
JLA versus Predator (2001)
Superman vs. Aliens II: God War (2002)
Batman/Aliens II (2002)
Judge Dredd versus Aliens: Incubus (2002)
Superman and Batman vs. Aliens and Predator (2007)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Space No One Can Hear You Slay! (2012)
Archie vs. Predator (2015)
Aliens/Vampirella (2015)
Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens: Splice and Dice (2016)
Archie vs. Predator II (2019)

Almost all of these were multiple-issue runs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Who won out of Archie vs Predator??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Judge Dredd comics go pretty much everywhere. Thinking the movie gets too far-fetched is completely laughable.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

HopperUK posted:

The readers.

(not joking, they're both great reads)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HopperUK posted:

iirc Predator killed Archie but then Betty or Veronica used a laser to give him cosmetic surgery to look like Archie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Judge Dredd comics go pretty much everywhere. Thinking the movie gets too far-fetched is completely laughable.

If anything the movie was too grounded. In the comic, one mega-block conflict keeps escalating until Dredd has personally nuked half of the Soviet Union.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
A Judge Dredd television show modelled on 24 would make me so drat happy. Continually escalating stakes and contrived absurdities at a frenetic pace? Yes please.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ishikabibble posted:

...Suppressive fire doesn't work because of the noise of gunfire coming from the shooter :v:

Suppressive fire works because the target being suppressed is hearing bullets flying around them and hitting things very close to them. Which is very very very pants shittingly terrifying even if there isn't a loud noise accompanying it.
You know when you're being shot at and you quickly realize that at that point you no longer wish to be standing or trying to engage from that location.
Just going by what Ian McCollum said, and no I can't back that up because it was in a Q&A video. There's over 50 of those on Forgotten Weapons, and it might have been an InRange Q&A, I don't even know how many of those there are.

Quite. Demolition Man benefits from Schneider not being in the film much, and not playing a normal Schneider roll. Judge Dredd would have benefitted massively from not having a wacky sidekick at all, least of all one played by Rob loving Schneider.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dredd is a better movie, Judge Dredd is a better judge dredd adaptation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dumbest thing about the Stallone Judge Dredd is the bit where the fact that he and Rico being clone bros is a secret. That's like making a Batman movie that acts like a big twist is that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Judge Dredd is only a better Judge Dredd adaptation if you grade adaptations on sheer volume of references. Dredd gets the feel of the comics (and especially the title character) way better.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think the casting is perfect, specifically because nobody's British. You can't read a single issue of 2000AD and not cast Dredd as a musclebound american action star who communicates mainly through grunts

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

The dumbest thing about the Stallone Judge Dredd is the bit where the fact that he and Rico being clone bros is a secret. That's like making a Batman movie that acts like a big twist is that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Batman is one of the most famous characters in the world. Most people who saw Judge Dredd were probably just Stallone fans.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's probably thousands of people out there who think Judge Dredd was an original character for the Stallone film

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

flavor.flv posted:

You can't read a single issue of 2000AD and not cast Dredd as a musclebound american action star who communicates mainly through grunts
Why? "Musclebound guy who communicates through grunts" is not a description of comics Dredd.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The IIMM in DREDD to me was that the hot shot ammo was a heat seeker, not a flare, in the comics. Everything else is basically perfection as far as sticking to the comics but that one thing they kinda hosed up.

Still, loves me some Urban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pilchenstein posted:

Why? "Musclebound guy who communicates through grunts" is not a description of comics Dredd.

No, but it's exactly what a movie adaptation of Judge Dredd would be like in universe. Down to the American accent