Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I use four for my job, one shared for mount/teleport/catbook etc, one for frequently used emotes, two for job switching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Griz posted:

half my raid group and a lot of world-first people use controller, and the only real complaint I see from controller players is how hard it is for healers to target people in other groups in 24mans.

Yeah, there's a controller shortcut to scroll other alliance members but if I'm trying to select someone in another alliance or just someone on the ground (ex. in Bozja) I'll just grab the mouse real quick so I can get back to normal play. I'm already used to putting the controller down to type in chat.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ninja's great but what keeps getting me is I initiate Trick Attack and then for 15 seconds I'm so focused on getting all my jutsu and oGCDs fired off in time that I'm pretty well guaranteed to eat some boss attack I was supposed to be moving out of.

Fellow trial player upthread: if your gil is capping out buy a lot of dyes! Maybe some shop gear you don't actually use but might use for glammin'. I periodically bought 99-stacks of dyes (I'm sure I'm gonna want 'em for the "true endgame"), and I bought some level 58 and 60 shop gear with glams I liked, and in this way I pushed off all over-cap gil waste long enough that I might be able to finish HW before being compelled to buy. If I can keep staving off XP cap waste by juggling three classes in the high 50s anyway...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dyes, as consumables, are a good purchase if you've got inventory space to spare yes. The right dyes will really make your armor pop so keeping some favorites around is a good idea.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
How do you go about getting the fancy "rainbow button" dyes? I assume they're HQ alchemy recipes or something, not just quest rewards?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

angerbeet posted:

How do you go about getting the fancy "rainbow button" dyes? I assume they're HQ alchemy recipes or something, not just quest rewards?

Rare retainer venture items or cash shop, generally.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, some of them come from retainer quick ventures, some of them might have other sourcing in game like I think a few of them are from Ishgard restoration. You can also buy them from the cash shop.

They come in "general purpose" and normal varieties; the only difference is the former are acquired in game and can be sold/traded, the latter are the cash shop ones and untradeable so you can't buy gil with cash.

Outside of pure white and jet black they tend to be a reasonably inexpensive, you just can't hit a vendor or craft 99 of them in a few minutes.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Is the post-Heavensward patch stuff as long/bad as the post-ARR patch stuff? I don't know if I want to do that again :smith:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grimes posted:

Is the post-Heavensward patch stuff as long/bad as the post-ARR patch stuff? I don't know if I want to do that again :smith:

no and hell no respectively

starting with the expansions the patch content is excellent

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Grimes posted:

It's both shorter and more engaging. They don't have 20 quests a patch anymore.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Grimes posted:

It's a lot better. The expansion patches serve to tie up the plot of the expansion until .3, and then set up the next expansion with .4 and .5.

They're not gonna send you off on any more weird unrelated errands, and the dungeons and trials are built into the story. Never again do you reach a point where a text box pops up saying "okay now go do these raids".

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I bought the "skip to the beginning of HW" thing back before they trimmed the post ARR stuff (but after finishing the main story) and it's probably the only reason I kept playing at all. Especially with how often they reference the important stuff that happens during that time, if you are okay with picking stuff up from context it's really no trouble to understand what happened, and in my opinion it's a lot more interesting figuring it out that way. (I understand that most people don't enjoy that, not advocating anyone else do that unless it sounds appealing).

I've enjoyed my time with the game, genuinely, but the script is whatever the opposite of pithy is. When the quality of the plot drops (and frankly it does, often), my ability to pay attention to the extremely large amount of text immediately plummets. I understand why people who are into that like it, but I really wish this game in particular had an (optional) abridged version of the msq, especially as they add more and more expansions.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Grimes posted:

2.0-2.5 - yawn, power through it, holy cool ending can't wait for HW!

3.0-3.5 - I have cried at least twice and watched every cutscene with awe. Do yourself a favor and don't skip the 8 man raid content. I knocked the entire thing out in a day and the story was so excellent.

I've had to take breaks from the story to recover from all the drat emotions going on. I just watched the HW credits so it's on to Stormblood!

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Simple question but I'd rather not risk wasting a Thavnairian onion - my chocobo is level 10 and no longer gaining EXP, is the proper way to feed him the onion to stable, train, feed the onion during training? Does the stable cleanliness affect this at all?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Bragon posted:

Simple question but I'd rather not risk wasting a Thavnairian onion - my chocobo is level 10 and no longer gaining EXP, is the proper way to feed him the onion to stable, train, feed the onion during training? Does the stable cleanliness affect this at all?

Go to any place you can have your chocobo summoned as a companion (i.e. not a major city). Use the onion from your inventory. That's it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Nah. Just use the onion from your inventory anywhere. The only thing stabling does is allow you to change colors and use food for XP.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm at rank 11 and i've never bothered stabling for xp have i wasted a bunch of time

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To explain, the use of Thavnairan Onions predates the stable system so it isn't technically a Food Item. As such the one place you can't use it is a stable, you just use it like Gysahl Greens.

Before Rank 11, no. The exp point gain for training is 1% of a rank so the higher Rank your Chocobo, the more benefit they get from training. But only if you mix training with other activities, as training it's 100 Krakka Roots to level unless you pour in exp from other sources.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 10, 2021

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Super No Vacancy posted:

i'm at rank 11 and i've never bothered stabling for xp have i wasted a bunch of time

I got mine to 20 with basically no stabling, and none after like level 7. Your weekly challenge logs are the most important thing as they're 15% of a level by themselves.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wait so is chocobo level not capped at 10? Or is that also a free trial thing?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Alxprit posted:

Wait so is chocobo level not capped at 10? Or is that also a free trial thing?

Technically yes, but you can use Thavnairan Onions to bump the cap 1 level to a maximum of 20. You can either grow them or buy them off the market board.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Since free trials don't have access to the Market Board or housing they're effectively capped at 10, yes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kwyndig posted:

Since free trials don't have access to the Market Board or housing they're effectively capped at 10, yes.

You can get a couple free ones doing sidequests in Heavensward but unless you're clearing the map you probably won't come across those.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it takes at least to the end of hw to hit 10 anyway

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

I've picked up exactly 2 onions through ARR / HQ questing and sidequesting. And thanks for the answer!

e: I hit rank 10 nearing the end of ShB content

Bragon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 10, 2021

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wacky Delly posted:

I got mine to 20 with basically no stabling, and none after like level 7. Your weekly challenge logs are the most important thing as they're 15% of a level by themselves.

Yeah, kill 100 mobs near your level with your chocobo a week and things will go well. FATE mobs count for this if you synced down, so you can combine doing this with relic grinds/levelling via the FATE challenge log.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

It's a lot better. The expansion patches serve to tie up the plot of the expansion until .3, and then set up the next expansion with .4 and .5.

They're not gonna send you off on any more weird unrelated errands, and the dungeons and trials are built into the story. Never again do you reach a point where a text box pops up saying "okay now go do these raids".

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind for 2.1-2.3 MSQ was twofold:

They were basically operating under a mandate of X amount of quests / Y minutes of MSQ per patch, which is why originally 2.X was literally 100 quests.

And it wasn't until they were writing and scripting for 2.4 that they knew exactly what the plot and setup for Heavensward was going to be and began implementing it, which is why it gets off to a flying start with a lot of interesting moving pieces hitting the chessboard.

Not only do future expansions not have this problem, but a large number of the most memorable and beloved moments and subplots in the entire game are in the patch stories.

Ultimately there's a reason that 2.1-2.3 is considered the final real plot filter preventing folks from just rocketing forward.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah I've had an onion, and I didn't realize it would do that. Good to know! I can free up an inventory space.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Hopped in a while back with a trial account, nowhere near being done with ARR let alone heavensward and having a blast just taking poo poo easy with my Catboi Gladiator.

And then I saw the Endwalker trailer. Stoked to become a space paladin and kill moon dragons. The song is rad too

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finally got my friend to start playing, and I'm trying to encourage him to keep going since he's in the early 30s and is (correctly) finding the gameplay extremely boring as a Paladin (I probably should have suggested some other specific job, like Ninja or Monk; even though most are boring low-level, Gladiator/Paladin is possibly the worst). The gameplay for most jobs being extremely boring and unchallenging before level 50+ is one of the kind of significant hurdles to getting people into the game. He used to play a lot of FF11, so I think he's also kind of put off by fighting solo mobs being essentially effortless. I explained how FF14's combat basically centers around boss mechanics.

It's still a toss-up whether he'll end up liking it later (his taste in games is kind of all over the place and hard to predict), but I gave the typical advice of at least getting a good portion into Heavensward. The good thing about the trial is that there's zero rush, so he can basically take his time gradually getting through the story.

One kind of funny thing he's having trouble with is the controls. Because the only other MMO he's played was FF11, which had a bizarre control scheme that involved not using the mouse (IIRC he mentioned it using the arrow keys and numpad), he's having trouble getting used to using the mouse + WASD.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

While he can't replicate the controls of 11 because it's not a Hotbar MMO he can certainly get into keybinds and change the movement keys to something he's more comfortable with.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Rosalind posted:

This was exactly my experience leveling Warrior. At 69, I was ready to quit the job because holy crap managing that gauge to line up with Berserk is so tedious then 70 hit and it was like HELL YEAH FELL CLEAVE TIME.

Paladin is pretty similar because they don't get the trait for instant spellcasting until 78 and once you unlock that doing any duty below level 78 feels really bad.

The game would strongly benefit from rebalancing skills across levels similar to what wow did after 4 or 5 xpacs. Getting some of those major mechanic changes earlier would make new players enjoy jobs much more.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Tortolia posted:

Ultimately there's a reason that 2.1-2.3 is considered the final real plot filter preventing folks from just rocketing forward.

I'm just hitting this point now, about to do ultimate weapon. I was looking forward to trying dark Knight and machinist finally but uhhh nope. Apparently there are 100 more grindy rear end MSQs in the patches to do before HW.

People say just enjoy the journey but the journey through ARR is absolute poo poo to be blunt. I like doing the dungeons and engaging with the games systems and other players. I don't like being sent to the waking Sands 100 times. I don't like walking back and forth between the same NPCs ad nauseum for text blurbs that seem to have nothing to do with anything of importance. I don't like running 5 flights up a copy pasted tower to see an NPC, only to run back to the bottom again to see another NPC.

This game is super weird because they throw up this massive barrier of garbage as if it's a rite of passage or something instead of just bad game design. I really want to see the better content and do cooler dungeons and play with the advanced classes but I have another 40 loving hours of bullshit to wade through. I can't believe it used to be worse than this, just crazy.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm just hitting this point now, about to do ultimate weapon. I was looking forward to trying dark Knight and machinist finally but uhhh nope. Apparently there are 100 more grindy rear end MSQs in the patches to do before HW.

Some good news, it's only 80 quests. 100 was before they updated. Hopefully they pare it down further in the future.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Gunslinger posted:

This game is super weird because they throw up this massive barrier of garbage as if it's a rite of passage or something instead of just bad game design. I really want to see the better content and do cooler dungeons and play with the advanced classes but I have another 40 loving hours of bullshit to wade through. I can't believe it used to be worse than this, just crazy.

It will take much less than the previous 80 quests, though. Nowhere near 40 hours. You'll unlock flying as soon as you complete the Ultima weapon quests so you'll be able to breeze through areas much quicker.

Unfortunately that won't help with your other issues, though. 2.1-2.3 has even more of that ahead. I and others disagree with ARR being "absolute poo poo," as it's more subjective than that, but it's definitely not the strongest showing FFXIV has. It's a shame that for people like you that ARR grates against it's such a wall to get over.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ARR is rough because the devs were pressured to clean up the 1.0 disaster as quickly as possible, and struggled in places to make engaging content. The fact that it's as decent as it is is a minor miracle. A more significant trim and rewrite for 2.0-2.x is probably needed, but it's a lot easier said than done, and to be quite honest, even the cleanest summarizing of it would still probably look a lot like it does now. The worldbuilding and characterization ARR contains is carried through the rest of the story all the way through to Shadowbringers, nothing important really goes totally abandoned.

If you're absolutely despising the story aspect of it this might not be the game for you tbh. The expansions are leaps and bounds better both in terms of gameplay and narrative pacing, but if you don't like the idea of going around the game world watching cut scenes that's fundamentally what it always boils down to.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Eh I really didn't give a poo poo about most of the 2.1-2.4 story but loved everything after. Many of the plot beats are definitely important but it's still done in a long-winded kind of way. It would absolutely need a major overhaul to get to a satisfactory point though.

For the op: I agree with you fully but it does get much better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

The worldbuilding and characterization ARR contains is carried through the rest of the story all the way through to Shadowbringers, nothing important really goes totally abandoned.

I don't really remember that much in the way of major points in ARR's story. You learn about primals (and some basics about the Echo), meet some beast tribes, Scions get attacked by Empire, find Cid and his ship, do a side-story related to Ishgard, and then do the final stuff against Garlemald and Ultima Weapon. I can't remember any significant plot beats beyond those. I feel like the "introducing you to each Eorzea beast tribe and their primal" stuff was probably done out of a necessity to re-use the assets they had already developed.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really remember that much in the way of major points in ARR's story. You learn about primals (and some basics about the Echo), meet some beast tribes, Scions get attacked by Empire, find Cid and his ship, do a side-story related to Ishgard, and then do the final stuff against Garlemald and Ultima Weapon. I can't remember any significant plot beats beyond those. I feel like the "introducing you to each Eorzea beast tribe and their primal" stuff was probably done out of a necessity to re-use the assets they had already developed.

It's more complicated than that unfortunately. Each of the Beast tribes has its own unique problems to be solved, and all of them but the Sahagin (and the sylphs sort of) have big roles to play in later patch/expansion content. And we don't know what they will be doing in Endwalker! The real problem is that almost all of this stuff has payoff, like really good payoff, but saying anything else is a spoiler.

2.1-2.3 are slow and there's no doubt about it. That being said, saying it's 80 quest is a bit deceptive. Some of the quests take about 5 mins to do tops with flying unlocked. Each of those three patches should take you about 2-3 hours to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier this week but as a new player who just did the 2.1-2.5 content a few weeks ago, I got basically completed at least one patch worth of quests in a 2-3 hour session. I think it was, like, I finished the 2.0 ARR stuff on a Sunday, and the following Saturday afternoon, I was in Heavensward. Granted, I don't have any real responsibilities when I get home from work since we don't have kids and my wife is enjoying her stay-at-home time and handles most of the chores so I have lots of free time in the evenings.

I, personally, think it wasn't awful but it does bog down a couple times, and I got to kinda fly through dungeon queues due to playing a tank.

I'm in early Stormblood now and still having a lot of fun, but I've kinda eased up on blasting through MSQ stuff at this point. Unlocked SAM so some nights I just do dungeon queues on it and other nights I swap back to DRK and hit MSQ content. I was super engaged by Heavensward and its epilogue content so I'm hoping Stormblood keeps pace. It has been a little slower in the beginning but I think I finally met The Expansion Antagonist so maybe it'll start picking up.