Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, it's generally good practice to have at least one other person look over your code before you push it through, right?

Isn't this what cicd pipelines and no self approval is for? You can even do things like run code review through security scanning tools before pushing to prod

edit: added quote for page snipe

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inept posted:

that's still a good practice in general

It’s fine to have the change author push the button to deploy if it got review from someone else along the way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jq0904/status/1436155700212744211

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
see thread title

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

does anyone else hate twitter gifs because they are so terrible at seeing details?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
drat I wish I could read

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wargames posted:

does anyone else hate twitter gifs because they are so terrible at seeing details?

drat shame you can't zoom in with, say, ctrl-scroll wheel

but yes, I hate that I can't just click a button to fullscreen it or something

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I hate twitter gifs, twitter, and also myself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do they keep shipping software which just loads poo poo from any URL that the document embeds, why is it not disabled by default if you have to leave it in :psyduck:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wargames posted:

All you have to do is recognize calc.exe’s window.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Subjunctive posted:

It’s fine to have the change author push the button to deploy if it got review from someone else along the way.

This is what I'm referring to. 100% someone else should review / approve code / configuration / data before its pushed. The problem I've seen is when organizations insist on having someone with no knowledge at all manage the deployment because "separation of duties". Their poor understanding of the intent of that law--basically, you can't complete a financial transaction by yourself, and you can't determine your own pay--leads them to dramatically increase the risk of a financial mistake.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do comment, style, typo fixes and other changes of that nature require review?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah someone needs to review the change to make sure that's all it is.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Here is the absolute rule: did something change? Then it needs to be reviewed by someone else, even if its just for sanity checking

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Risk based approach: is the text/style part of the application separate from the important bits? Sure, you can probably do changes without supervision. Is it the same rights you need to reroute cash flow to your Swiss bank account? Yeah, do a review. Is the application managing payroll or internal news? That makes a difference as well.

As alluded to earlier, absolute rules are poo poo, you need to figure out what is relevant case by case.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BonHair posted:

Risk based approach: is the text/style part of the application separate from the important bits? Sure, you can probably do changes without supervision. Is it the same rights you need to reroute cash flow to your Swiss bank account? Yeah, do a review. Is the application managing payroll or internal news? That makes a difference as well.

As alluded to earlier, absolute rules are poo poo, you need to figure out what is relevant case by case.

This. Otherwise you end up with auditors who question someone editing a file on a SharePoint site because it's "in production".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I know we're rolling out Crowdstrike to all our containers, so yeah. Ironically, we had a finding for "No Anti-Malware on your Mainframe"
Why is poo poo like this not an immediate "come to my office and let's have a chat about not wasting our loving time"

Ynglaur posted:

This is what I'm referring to. 100% someone else should review / approve code / configuration / data before its pushed. The problem I've seen is when organizations insist on having someone with no knowledge at all manage the deployment because "separation of duties". Their poor understanding of the intent of that law--basically, you can't complete a financial transaction by yourself, and you can't determine your own pay--leads them to dramatically increase the risk of a financial mistake.
CAB meetings are loving great eh

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 11, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Why is poo poo like this not an immediate "come to my office and let's have a chat about not wasting our loving time"

Yeah I had to explain, very slowly, how mainframes do not have anti-malware. Not yet, because nobody really targets mainframes. And I wasn't going to waste my time on a finding for something that doesn't exist.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I had to explain, very slowly, how mainframes do not have anti-malware. Not yet, because nobody really targets mainframes. And I wasn't going to waste my time on a finding for something that doesn't exist.

I know this, but I don't get it. Most mainframes I've heard of do really loving serious financial stuff. Like, one (actually more than one because redundancy) handled all money transactions of the Danish state, as just part of the scope. And I think most banks have mainframes doing stuff like that. It seems like the biggest and bestest target for APT type attacks, especially since they will be internet facing to communicate with each other (I'm guessing here for the record).

My understanding is that something about the framework makes malware almost impossible, but that seems unlikely in actual reality.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's not that it's impossible, it's that no one has test hardware, mainframes are usually buried deep in anyone's network, and there's like 4 all fucks in all of continental europe who can competently write for the drat things.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If there are APT's that have taken the considerable effort to craft custom mainframe malware, do you really think some generic antivirus is going to catch it?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Anti virus can't even catch basic red team malware on windows computers let alone some esoteric machine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FungiCap posted:

Anti virus can't even catch basic red team malware on windows computers let alone some esoteric machine.

Its this. If someone is writing malware for mainframes, nobody will have seen it before and no anti-malware is gonna catch it.

BonHair posted:

I know this, but I don't get it. Most mainframes I've heard of do really loving serious financial stuff. Like, one (actually more than one because redundancy) handled all money transactions of the Danish state, as just part of the scope. And I think most banks have mainframes doing stuff like that. It seems like the biggest and bestest target for APT type attacks, especially since they will be internet facing to communicate with each other (I'm guessing here for the record).

My understanding is that something about the framework makes malware almost impossible, but that seems unlikely in actual reality.

Yeah, Mainframes have a lot of very valuable data, but its getting to them and exploiting them. Exploitng mainframes is relatively new and unexplored field, in fact you are more likely to exploit a mainframe through a Linux container on a mainframe than the z/OS itself. If there is any mainframe malware active today, its relatively rare and unknown to the point that an anti-malware would likely miss it, and even then nobody is really writing for z/OS itself.

Ian Coldwater and Chad Rikansrud did a good presentation this year of mainframe container escapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXF7YDBf-g&t=2s

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 11, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I seem to remember some mainframe dude talking about how the reason mainframes were safe from that kind of stuff was that zOS is just too stupid and simple. it does what little it does, and lacks the capability to do much exploitable

it would be like trying to exploit an old school (non-scientific/graphing etc) calculator. there just isn't much there to exploit without actually being able to rewrite it at a low level

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Its this. If someone is writing malware for mainframes, nobody will have seen it before and no anti-malware is gonna catch it.

Yeah, Mainframes have a lot of very valuable data, but its getting to them and exploiting them. Exploitng mainframes is relatively new and unexplored field, in fact you are more likely to exploit a mainframe through a Linux container on a mainframe than the z/OS itself. If there is any mainframe malware active today, its relatively rare and unknown to the point that an anti-malware would likely miss it, and even then nobody is really writing for z/OS itself.

Ian Coldwater and Chad Rikansrud did a good presentation this year of mainframe container escapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXF7YDBf-g&t=2s
If anyone watching this video has a thirst for more, here's some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opBLBYAR8tU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlmru_B-Uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfl4spvM5DI

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

These are all really good, yeah there's been a lot of discussion about Mainframe exploitation this year, I blame the COVID lockdown.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

These are all really good, yeah there's been a lot of discussion about Mainframe exploitation this year, I blame the COVID lockdown.
Uhm, all three of those are pre-COVID.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think that was just a general observation with a comma splice, not a statement about the motivation for those specific talks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uhm, all three of those are pre-COVID.

I meant increasing interest, yeah those are all pre-COVID my bad.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I meant increasing interest, yeah those are all pre-COVID my bad.
Well, I think part of it might be an increased interest, but it's also a result of a lot of folks putting in effort over many years of presentations - Philip Young and others like him started doing them over a decade ago at BSIDES, DEFCON, schmoocon, BlackHat, et cetera.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BonHair posted:

While I agree in principle because change management where I work is loving tedious nonsense (and it takes hours out of my day to make trivial changes), the flip side of this is that I have to gate-keep what gets done to production systems because policy enforcement now depends on who you ask.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

azurite posted:

While I agree in principle because change management where I work is loving tedious nonsense (and it takes hours out of my day to make trivial changes), the flip side of this is that I have to gate-keep what gets done to production systems because policy enforcement now depends on who you ask.

this. you are gonna have to either deal with a CAB or a grumpy sysadmin either way, why not choose the route of inflicting the least amount of grumpiness?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got into mainframes because of SoF (who I’m pretty sure posts here) and it’s kind of a crazy world. It’s one of those topics that I’d have to dedicate way too much time to actually get seriously competent at, and just can’t dedicate that much time and still have sanity. Which is a shame because it’s super interesting to me. I’m in like the one field where it’s arguably still relevant to boot.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah same, i took one of his mainframe exploitation workshop class things. but as far as i know it's not like i can spin up a mainframe emulator to dick around with

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah same, i took one of his mainframe exploitation workshop class things. but as far as i know it's not like i can spin up a mainframe emulator to dick around with

Yeah you can, it's called Hercules.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
There's hercules and a copy of z/os floating around

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
IBM also has a cloud based Mainframe you can do stuff in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And it's kind of important to realize that OS/390 and z/OS have had UNIX System Services as a feature going back to like, 1998 I think. So I imagine there's definitely a bigger attack surface than just what you can run "native" on z/OS. I really wish I could speak more competently to this :(

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

WebSphere lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inept posted:

WebSphere lol

mods? please ban this sick filth