Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Dark Souls 1 had probably the best and most memorable levels/areas/world in the entire franchise. It also had the ability to level up at any bonfire, which is just inherently better than having to travel back to the hub every single time. Sure, the bosses mostly sucked, but the DS2 bosses (featuring such hits as: Reskinned Sif, Room Full of Rats, Ornstein and No Smough, and Revenge of the Bell Gargoyles) were much worse. I honestly think if DS1 had DS3 combat mechanics and bosses, it would be the perfect game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Isn't gating the teleport mechanic literally the thing that enables people to gush over the interconnected world aspect, the joy of discovering a new shortcut or link? The thing that heightens the awe and tension of getting lost in Anor Londo, with a trip through Sen's Fortress to pay should you decide to turn back? Giving you the teleport right at the point you need to start going back to claim the lord souls is the appropriate place for it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i was promised a gameplay video today. What the hell!!!!!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

acyclicity posted:

I honestly think if DS1 had DS3 combat mechanics and bosses, it would be the perfect game.

yeah that's a fair assessment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

although "perfect" would be more like "Dark Souls 3 stamina management (for attacks) and positioning requirements with Sekiro-level mobility and freedom of movement"

which, good news, is exactly how they're advertising Elden Ring! fingers crossed for it to actually deliver

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gologle posted:

This ring is gonna be pretty fuckin' elden by the time it arrives, boy howdy

132 days

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Control Volume posted:

Lets be fair about dark souls: It was worse than its predecessor. It has floatier, jankier animations, several areas where they just cram a dozen enemies into an open area, resistance (need I say more??), horrible weapon upgrade mechanics (way worse than demon souls where upgrades were carefully thoujgt out), and the bosses are all unmemorable dudes in armor, or poor design like the capra demon.

Demon souls depended on tight enemy placement and made evne the lowliest enemy scary, but dark souls cant even get to the first area without making you fight half a dozen hollows on a single staircase..... PLUS it gates the warp mechanic until halfway into the game when demon souls had a fully fleshed out teleport system?? wtf FROMSOFT??

Agreed.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

DS3 is the best game in the trilogy and it isn't even close

Agreed.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

acyclicity posted:

I honestly think if DS1 had DS3 combat mechanics and bosses, it would be the perfect game.

There would be a lot of perfect games out there if you did this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Games that have the Emerald Herald sitting and idly kicking her feet while hanging out waiting for the Bearer (seek seek lest) to come back:

Demon Souls [ ]
Dark Souls 1 [ ]
Dark Souls 2 [X]
Dark Souls 3 [ ]
Bloodborne [ ]
Sekiro [ ]

You gotta focus on the important things, you know. :hmmyes:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Maiden in Black remains the best level wife

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know any other franchise where opinions on which game is the best are so split and I think it says a lot about how From crafts something a little bit unique and different with each Souls game and how every game is quality.

But now I must throw down the hot take gauntlet and say that Dark Souls 2 is the best and Dark Souls 3 bored me so much I couldn't finish it. DS3 and Bloodborne are the only Souls games I didn't beat at least once. In DS3 it was because the world just did not click with me at all and I found all of the environments and boss designs too boring to even remember them now without looking them up. Bloodborne was because both times I tried to play it I made the mistake of engaging in jolly co-op and hackers sucked me into glitched empty rooms in dungeons that I could never leave and if I died I respawned right back in the same place and I don't have it in me to play through the first half for a third time. Also because I find victorian settings barf-inducingly boring I suppose.

edit: Wait I just looked at a list of bosses for DS3 and I guess I did beat it? I do not remember anything about it except that around the ice city zone I decided I hated it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 11, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the milk creighton challenge

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The Elden Ring Twitter account just posted this screenshot which I don’t think they’ve posted yet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

Emma is the best because instead of just kind of passively existing, she'll kick your rear end if you get out of line.

(She's also not really where you level but she upgrades your healing gourd, that's close enough.)

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes plus it made the correct decision to make armor a fashion choice and also weapon arts own.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alot of the heavy armors suck rear end. In fact, the fat armors, that raise the positions of your arms, increase your hitbox. But Dark Souls 3 is really good for medium to medium-heavy weight armor sets, where you can easily hit the 70% threshold. It's really hard to get to the 30% threshold for longrolls, and the damage absorption of light armors feels noticably more dangerous than mediums. A shame, because some of the light armors look gorgeous.

What's I'm trying to say is that sitting around 50-70% equipload feels great, you have fast rolls and excellent absorption. But it feels really bad around 30-40% equipload, where it's really hard to get under the 30% cap, and your absorption feels inferior. Once again Bloodborne is superior. Yes the hoborags have the best stats in the game, but nothing else feels noticably inferior and you can still mix and match on what set you think looks best.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
My man, they don't call it Fashion Souls because they care about taking damage. Beauty is its own invincibility.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gologle posted:

My man, they don't call it Fashion Souls because they care about taking damage. Beauty is its own invincibility.

The hidden Confidence stat trumps all.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i really liked the millwood knight set with a greatbow and battle axe in ds3

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Millwood axe is a weirdly good looking and satisfying weapon. I like how it isn’t over-the-top big like a bunch of the other strength stuff is. Also you can get it really early and it does kick rear end damage

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The weapon art was also kind of hilarious in pvp, just some weird charge move that stunned into a free R1 90% of the time against most people without a shield.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

skasion posted:

ranked from best to worst

- Maiden In Black
- The Doll
- The Firekeeper
- Emma 'The Gentle Blade'
- The Emerald Herald
- A Bundle of Sticks

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ranked from best to worst

- Maiden In Black
- The Doll
- The Firekeeper
- Emma 'The Gentle Blade'
- The Emerald Herald
- A Bundle of Sticks

smough is the best wife you imbecile

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Holy moly this gameplay trailer is nuts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Holy moly this gameplay trailer is nuts.

Is something new out?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

dark souls 1 is extremely good for the first half then drops off a cliff in quality and has the worst zones and bosses in the series

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This gameplay trailer is nuts that it’s not out yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's not coming and it never was, that was just random reddit speculation someone posted here as something that was happening

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 11, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

bop bop perano posted:

The Elden Ring Twitter account just posted this screenshot which I don’t think they’ve posted yet

Man this guy gets around and really likes to gently caress up knights. Now I want to make a cosplay of some guy in Griffon mask and pajamas. You could probably pull it off in DS3 with Mace, Exile Mask and Antiquated Plain Garb.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Why'd they call it Dak Souls 1 instead of Redeemin' Souls?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I don't cosplay cause I'm a fat unimaginative man but if I did, I'd be Havel

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"but progression through the different areas of the game is so much more freeform in DS1!"

who cares, none of that means anything if the core gameplay feels like wading through molasses by comparison. DS3 isn't even actually very fast by action game standards, it just achieves a reasonable minimum. plus imagine playing dark souls with no diagonal rolling. disgusting

the one good/important thing the original game had going for it was fewer restrictions on invasions and the remake did away with that and retroactively made it work exactly like DS3 instead anyways lol

The game play in DS3 feels great, but gently caress I dreaded PvP in that game. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because it took for-loving-ever. Oh the invader is losing? Good thing they have 12 estus flasks to heal up. Oh, they are out of flasks? They will just run away for the next 10 minutes.

PvP in DS2 felt the most interesting to me. There was great weapon variety and the limited healing was great. DS1 was super memorable and charming, loved the poo poo out of that game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If I shaved my head and put on full body zombie makeup I could probably do a Dark Souls 1 speedrunner cosplay irl.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

bop bop perano posted:

I have a feeling that this guy might be a miniboss. And he will be kind of like the big Mushroom enemies in DS1 in that he will probably hit like a drat truck with his mace. I mean look at how he wrecked that knight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

The game play in DS3 feels great, but gently caress I dreaded PvP in that game. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because it took for-loving-ever. Oh the invader is losing? Good thing they have 12 estus flasks to heal up. Oh, they are out of flasks? They will just run away for the next 10 minutes.

PvP in DS2 felt the most interesting to me. There was great weapon variety and the limited healing was great. DS1 was super memorable and charming, loved the poo poo out of that game.

Every time I got invaded in DS3 I just chugged every flask I had in front of them, 95% of the time they got the idea and did the same and we had a short and sweet honour duel, fixed that issue nicely

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DS3 PvP would be better if chugging animation speed were decreased (and the netcode were better) but i don't mind the amount of healing you have access to. it rewards relentless aggression over attrition, the only problem is that lag can make chug punishes inconsistent or even impossible under extreme circumstances, when they should be reactable as long as you're on the ball about it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Charliegrs posted:

I have a feeling that this guy might be a miniboss. And he will be kind of like the big Mushroom enemies in DS1 in that he will probably hit like a drat truck with his mace. I mean look at how he wrecked that knight.

Is that not the player character with a weird helm?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

You could always use an undead hunter charm to stop chugging, they’re not just for mimics.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

Is that not the player character with a weird helm?

I think it's the player character gesturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Oh man I forgot about gestures. I hope they expand on them in elden ring, I want to do a fortnite dance after smashing my opponent with a greathammer