Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You might try getting some matcha infused genmaicha if you want a bolder flavor, and brew it for about 90 seconds at 70⁰ C water. It's reasonably priced tea. If you want to go real fancy, get some gyokuro and brew about 120 seconds at 55-60⁰C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I always add a little dashi powder to ochazuke, also that is quite a big mound of rice in my book. YMMV

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, ochazuke is usually a dashi+tea mix. If you want to do just straight tea I'd add some MSG to make up for what you're losing without the dashi.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Force de Fappe posted:

I always add a little dashi powder to ochazuke, also that is quite a big mound of rice in my book. YMMV

It was a standard 180ml gou cup.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm watching Samurai Gourmet on Netflix and I just learned about Napolitan... and what did the Italians do to Japan to deserve this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In fairness, that's one of the foods that was a post-war thing, when people were dependent on whatever food aid the US could ship across the ocean. Ketchup and hot dogs are what we got, make it work. Same situation that gave rise to other gross stuff like budae jjigae. And it sticks around because of nostalgia.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hawaiian spam

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think we all have things we ate as kids and still enjoy that other people who don't have those memories look askance at. Sometimes it's a regional food, sometimes just something your family did.

I don't have any excuses for what East Asia does to pizza though.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Spam is good fight me

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Spam is good fight me

:hai:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

In fairness, that's one of the foods that was a post-war thing, when people were dependent on whatever food aid the US could ship across the ocean. Ketchup and hot dogs are what we got, make it work. Same situation that gave rise to other gross stuff like budae jjigae. And it sticks around because of nostalgia.

America does a small imperialism and you blame us for this?

More seriously, dishes like that are always interesting on a certain level but I have trouble thinking of ketchup as a valid tomato sauce replacement (even though it's just like tomatoes, sugar, some spices, and vinegar).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

captkirk posted:

Imperialism was why Japan didn't have any food in the late 1940s but I think you picked the wrong country there. :v:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__soQW1hsWU

I tried this recipe out tonight and it was quite good, although I didn't make near enough sauce for the amount of noodles I used

Edit: I guess it's based on a Korean dish but should still be of interest to the thread

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

I'm watching Samurai Gourmet on Netflix and I just learned about Napolitan... and what did the Italians do to Japan to deserve this?

it took me a while to come around on mentaiko cream spaghetti, but i now have the zealotry of the converted

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I recently bought a nice cedar bento off shokunin.com. I was drunk and thought I would start making bentos for myself so I could get away from the home office during lunch. Instead I now I have a bento I refuse to use because it's nice and I don't want to stain the inside (untreated cedar) with soy sauce/etc. I really just need to nut up and stop being such a goony weeb and use the expensive rear end wooden box I bought for what it was meant to be used for.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Post some photos

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Use the bento, smash mouth.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Should have gotten one that was pinku

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
fill it with gari overnight and make it pinku

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

captkirk posted:

Instead I now I have a bento I refuse to use because it's nice and I don't want to stain the inside (untreated cedar) with soy sauce/etc. I really just need to nut up and stop being such a goony weeb and use the expensive rear end wooden box I bought for what it was meant to be used for.

If you were less goony and more weeby you would know that the first mark will be a stain, but the thousandth will be wabi-sabi.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Binging "One week of bento boxes for my husband" videos on youtube again and wishing I had a husbando to make octopus hot dogs for

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Binging "One week of bento boxes for my husband" videos on youtube again and wishing I had a husbando to make octopus hot dogs for
Hey man it's 2021 you can be your own husbando

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

Should have gotten one that was pinku

My girlfriend got a new lunchbox, and it's a stacked bento box design in pink. So I said "Oh you got a pinku one" and she didn't get it, so then I attempted to explain the bento post and long story short I don't think she loves me anymore.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My girlfriend got a new lunchbox, and it's a stacked bento box design in pink. So I said "Oh you got a pinku one" and she didn't get it, so then I attempted to explain the bento post and long story short I don't think she loves me anymore.

It's because it was made in china or corea (Korea) or whatever.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I got over keeping the bento pristine and put together an ugly rear end bento this morning using some sautéed green beans, wilted beat greens, and some tuna mayo (well, I used some over cooked hiramasa from a failed first try at using a shichirin).

http://imgur.com/a/KbQmGrS

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

captkirk posted:

I got over keeping the bento pristine and put together an ugly rear end bento this morning using some sautéed green beans, wilted beat greens, and some tuna mayo (well, I used some over cooked hiramasa from a failed first try at using a shichirin).

http://imgur.com/a/KbQmGrS

Looks tasty!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm having trouble finding an answer through Google.

Tomorrow I'm having like a dozen people over, and I planned to make a big batch of curry (using Golden Curry roux). If I were to make a big rear end batch at like noon, would it be good a couple hours later if I reheated it on low for a few minutes, or is this kind of curry best served immediately? It would take too long to cook during our lunch break at 3, so I was hoping I could save time one way or another by either chopping everything and putting it in the fridge until Cookin Time, or just prepare it ahead of time.

Also, if I was planning to have both curry rice and curry ramen, should I make the curry for ramen separate, or like add a small amount of hot water to thin it out for the ramen havers?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm having trouble finding an answer through Google.

Tomorrow I'm having like a dozen people over, and I planned to make a big batch of curry (using Golden Curry roux). If I were to make a big rear end batch at like noon, would it be good a couple hours later if I reheated it on low for a few minutes, or is this kind of curry best served immediately? It would take too long to cook during our lunch break at 3, so I was hoping I could save time one way or another by either chopping everything and putting it in the fridge until Cookin Time, or just prepare it ahead of time.

Also, if I was planning to have both curry rice and curry ramen, should I make the curry for ramen separate, or like add a small amount of hot water to thin it out for the ramen havers?

Curry reheats great on the stove and hold up awesome, it's usually even better on the second day after cooking.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Like all stews, curry gets better the longer you wait

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Definitely 100% fine to reheat. Probably reheat over trying to keep it warm just because the smell of curry kept warm for a few hours in a slow cooker or whatever would be a bit much.

As for the curry ramen, I'm not sure. But JOC is a good source on stuff and they say just use leftover ramen and thin it out.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/curry-ramen/

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Folks who have done nukazuke, does this look right to you? Other things I've read required prepping the nuka bed with other veg first.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
idk man i once saw endo shozo put a box of loving frisk mints into a nukazuke and i guarantee you he didnt do any prep beforehand

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

captkirk posted:

More seriously, dishes like that are always interesting on a certain level but I have trouble thinking of ketchup as a valid tomato sauce replacement (even though it's just like tomatoes, sugar, some spices, and vinegar).

If if makes a difference, recipes like this were made when ketchup was being produced with a lot less sugar in it. Hell, most of condiments we're used to as Americans have had the sweetness ramped up a lot over the last few decades, first as in increase to the sugar then with the switchover to corn syrup. I wouldn't be surprised to find that ketchup sold in Japan is less sweet just because corn syrup tends to get more expensive than sugar outside the US.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Not sure, looks like Heinz organic and Kagome organic have the same carbs per tablespoon serving per a quick image search. Japanese food is also often pretty packed with sugar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find that ketchup sold in Japan is less sweet just because corn syrup tends to get more expensive than sugar outside the US.

It's the same or sweeter. Japan is even more into sugaring everything than the US, though still a distant second to King Korea.

I dunno about corn syrup in Japan but rice syrup is cheap as hell in Korea. Corn is too.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
HFCS was invented in Japan so that's not surprising.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Grand Fromage posted:

It's the same or sweeter. Japan is even more into sugaring everything than the US, though still a distant second to King Korea.

I dunno about corn syrup in Japan but rice syrup is cheap as hell in Korea. Corn is too.

*laughs in Tagalog*

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, I don't know why Japanese ketchup would be less sweet. The basic flavor profile of a lot of Japanese food is combination of dashi, shoyu, sake, and mirin with some more sugar added sugar.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use basically 1/3 of the amount of sugar most recipes recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I know there are a number of people in this thread that reduce the sugar in recipes regularly but I won't personally recommend doing that because it's definitely not going to taste right. A large part of Japanese food is going to have a sweet tasting element to it in some way shape or form.
That said to each their own of course.