Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Fur20 posted:

dont you people have like a queen with divine right or something just make her issue a holy edict demanding it

Appearing twice in two weeks made Cobid scared and we won :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

HD DAD posted:

When did Biden become awesome. More of this poo poo please.

Lol, somewhere after he refused to implement jack poo poo for months and completely hosed over OSHA employer COVID safety requirements because we all wanted to go masks off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would like Biden to direct his justice department to stop doing stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/creeclaw/status/1430282211853484036

C’mon, man.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Stickman posted:

Lol, somewhere after he refused to implement jack poo poo for months and completely hosed over OSHA employer COVID safety requirements because we all wanted to go masks off.

And we would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for that meddling Delta.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Platystemon posted:

I would like Biden to direct his justice department to stop doing stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/creeclaw/status/1430282211853484036

C’mon, man.

:monocle:

Uh, did someone go rogue or something?

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

:monocle:

Uh, did someone go rogue or something?

It's ICE. The worst loving cops in a nation of shitass cops. So yeah.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fur20 posted:

dont you people have like a queen with divine right or something just make her issue a holy edict demanding it

We cut the head off the last person to claim that the monarch had a divine right to rule, although we did then give the crown to his son after a few years as long as he promised not to try to do too much with it. Now we take the eminently sensible position that we have a parliament and government who derive their authority to rule from the monarch, who in turn gains their authority from the parliament deciding that they're the monarch, and also a constitution that does a weird holy trinity thing between the Crown, the Queen, and the actual little old lady in Windsor Castle, where they are both the same thing but also different, and when they saw Crown they don't actually mean the spangly hat.

The upshot of all this is that Elizabeth Windsor has unlimited power over the nation but also will get her head cut off - or at least get chased off to exile in France while we import one of her relatives to do the job[1] - if she actually exercises that power. This is because we are a sensible country ruled by common sense and definitely not because the constant drizzle drives everyone over the age of 7 completely insane.

[1] This is my all-time favourite example of the peculiar combination of straightforward thinking and extreme silliness that actually define this ridiculous little island and is the actual basis for the weird way the country is rules. James II (yes and VIII shut up Scotland I'm talking to the Americans) gets a bit too Catholic for everyone's tastes, but we'd already cut off one king's head that century and a second one would just be showing off, so instead parliament just writes a letter to his nice Protestant daughter Mary (and her nice Protestant husband William, the King-but-not-really of bits of Holland) asking if they'd like to give it a go.

William turns up with an army, James is somewhat annoyed when his army joins William because they weren't that keen on Catholics (or Scottish people for that matter) and so tries to flee to France, throwing away his Great Seal as he goes perhaps because he genuinely believed it was like chucking the car keys away and would stop Parliament from ruling or something. Unfortunately he gets captured by some fishermen, leaving William in the rather unpleasant position of maybe having to put his brother-in-law on trial or even execute him, so William has him imprisoned in a stately home right next to the sea and was no doubt furious when James somehow managed to escape.

We call this whole thing the Glorious Revolution because apparently shitposting was a thing even in the 17th century.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also, from a political perspective, the Queen is a shiny rod that hangs on a hook under the big table in parliament. In rod we trust

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also, from a political perspective, the Queen is a shiny rod that hangs on a hook under the big table in parliament. In rod we trust

Don't be silly, the sceptre isn't the Queen, it's just a magic stick that the Queen lets them have to prove she's allowing all this to happen, and if the proper magic rituals aren't used when hanging the magic stick up (or taking it off) then the legislature of a nuclear-armed power in the 21st century has no authority. Much more sensible, especially as the Queen herself isn't actually allowed into the Commons and they slam the door in the face of the bloke who comes to tell them she's next door and ask them to pop over and see her.

Also - to drag poo poo vaguely back on-topic - after a no-doubt terrifying year of allowing MPs to vote electronically, Parliament has returned to voting by having everyone crowd into a special room, so that's good.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

Trust Rod

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Don't think too much, just hang this stick
I wanna take a ride in your parliament

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Is that the golden mace that had it's own butlers???? That poo poo is dope, yo.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Best part of that is you could probably still cave someone's skull in with it

Also once a year the queen gets to take a hostage from parliament

But yeah we're all hosed

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope the shiny rod is at least chained down or something so random assholes can't just wander off with it and start giving orders.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

I hope the shiny rod is at least chained down or something so random assholes can't just wander off with it and start giving orders.

Lol no, famously several MPs have taken swings at other MPs with it, and occasionally attempted to run off with it (either with or without the special magical moves beforehand) to stop Parliament from doing things they object to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDqtronoP0s

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

But you need to work in order to afford inject--ah forget it.

Taters gonna Tate I guess.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Also once a year the queen gets to take a hostage from parliament

We can't have commoners think they're free, can we?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Whoops, completely misremembered how they work, hopefully this second (wiki-assisted) explanation is a bit more accurate

What the mRNA vaccines do is give the immune system a shortcut on one of the normal processes in response to an infection (or conventional vaccination) where dendritic cells grab a chunk of the DNA or RNA from a freshly-killed virus or bacteria and present it to the rest of the immune system by generating a copy of the protein it encodes on their surface along with a big KICK ME sign. Just putting the proteins in wouldn't result in as strong a reaction.

Ahh that makes more sense. I wasn't sure how the mRNA tech is supposed to help with cancer when cancer is a result of your immune system failing to recognize which cells to nuke. If it's already not recognizing what to attack, I wasn't sure how presenting more blueprints for it would do anything. But if it's presenting a kick me sign, it makes a lot more sense.

Also makes the vaccines a little more worrisome if we start hanging the wrong kick me signs out there and set the dogs off on innocent bystander proteins that just happen to be nearby. We barely understand autoimmune diseases as it is, although I suppose creating our own autoimmune diseases is a good way to learn :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tagra posted:

Ahh that makes more sense. I wasn't sure how the mRNA tech is supposed to help with cancer when cancer is a result of your immune system failing to recognize which cells to nuke. If it's already not recognizing what to attack, I wasn't sure how presenting more blueprints for it would do anything. But if it's presenting a kick me sign, it makes a lot more sense.

Also makes the vaccines a little more worrisome if we start hanging the wrong kick me signs out there and set the dogs off on innocent bystander proteins that just happen to be nearby. We barely understand autoimmune diseases as it is, although I suppose creating our own autoimmune diseases is a good way to learn :v:
The plan seems to be to pull out a sample of the tumor (helpfully they usually already do this) and see what distinctive proteins it has, then do the kick-me sign thing for those unusual proteins. I wouldn't be surprised if autoimmune disorders might be a consequence of this occasionally, but that may be an acceptable trade off

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nessus posted:

The plan seems to be to pull out a sample of the tumor (helpfully they usually already do this) and see what distinctive proteins it has, then do the kick-me sign thing for those unusual proteins. I wouldn't be surprised if autoimmune disorders might be a consequence of this occasionally, but that may be an acceptable trade off

If the doctor says "We'll cure your cancer but you'll have Lupus afterward" you're probably still going to go for it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Couldn't they confirm whether the bit of cancer cell they want to choose for the kill signal isn't present elsewhere on the body by just comparing the sequenced DNA of a healthy cell of the same kind? In fact wouldn't that be the best way of identifying the best sequences to attack in the first place? After all cancer's whole thing is at some point one of your cells fucks up and accidentally makes a version of itself without the best before date and that then just goes mad and replicates unstoppably, and presumably this error results in enough of a difference between the cancerous cell and the healthy cells for them to attack.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Doing it through OSHA

I just saw that that idiot representative from North Carolina tweeted his intent to submit legislation to "gut OSHA", I wonder if that's why.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I grew up my whole life surrounded surrounded by insane fanatical Christian Scientists. I saw 1st hand the gross effects and death and suffering caused by the denial of the germ theory of disease and the lack of basic medical care. It's a tiny literally dying cult and I thought it was fringe and now a huge section of American society is making the same kind of decision as these Christian Scientists.

Wtf

I thought about posting about what I've seen and showing how similar the thought process is but then I realized no one would care, no would give a poo poo.

:(

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Are the religious exemptions just accepted as is? Or are they needing to be specific? Cut the fuckers tax exempt status if they meddle with public health orders. Hell, cut them anyways.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Purgatory Glory posted:

Are the religious exemptions just accepted as is? Or are they needing to be specific? Cut the fuckers tax exempt status if they meddle with public health orders. Hell, cut them anyways.

That's going to vary company to company, state to state. More established cults like Christian Scientists could probably get a valid exemption most places, but I don't think there are that many religious groups that are explicitly anti-medicine. From what I've read there isn't much legal ground for most people to stand on when it comes to religious exemptions, but likely won't matter in Red Plague states and superchud companies.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Spinz posted:

I grew up my whole life surrounded surrounded by insane fanatical Christian Scientists. I saw 1st hand the gross effects and death and suffering caused by the denial of the germ theory of disease and the lack of basic medical care. It's a tiny literally dying cult and I thought it was fringe and now a huge section of American society is making the same kind of decision as these Christian Scientists.

Wtf

I thought about posting about what I've seen and showing how similar the thought process is but then I realized no one would care, no would give a poo poo.

:(

we care. but i'm going to go ahead and guess the thought process is "I don't know anything but i'm going to pretend I know everything"

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Isn't it really trivial to get a religious exemption thus making this whole thing sort of worthless?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Anyone getting a religious exemption would still need to do the regular testing, which will be enough of a pain in the rear end to turn off a lot of people looking for an easy out (and be a potential liability for the employer if they don't test). Any sane court would consider that a reasonable accommodation and no major religion would have reasonable objections to testing, but lol Murica.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I mean, you cannot under the stated policy be exempted from the testing requirement.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i feel like i live in a fairly chuddy place, but I don't know a single person that has even gotten covid let alone died from it.

I also don't know anyone that isn't vaxxed as of a few months ago when my friends idiot wife finally decided it was safe to get it even though she was pregnant *eyeroll* come on lady that is like one of the few ways to give the baby antibodies at birth right now loving hell.

I guess my friend group is fairly small (~10 people) and my company has been having us all work from home for over a year now so many that is isolating me from the nutters.

I have not talked to extended family in years but that's not abnormal for us.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Couldn't they confirm whether the bit of cancer cell they want to choose for the kill signal isn't present elsewhere on the body by just comparing the sequenced DNA of a healthy cell of the same kind? In fact wouldn't that be the best way of identifying the best sequences to attack in the first place? After all cancer's whole thing is at some point one of your cells fucks up and accidentally makes a version of itself without the best before date and that then just goes mad and replicates unstoppably, and presumably this error results in enough of a difference between the cancerous cell and the healthy cells for them to attack.

I had monoclonal antibodies as targeted therapy for lymphoma last year and that's pretty much how that part of my treatment worked. My type of lymphoma only affected mature B cells so the role of the mabs was to tag them so my immune system would find and deal with them.

mRNA treatments are an order of magnitude more complex but they are much more individualised to the specific mutations you express (cancers have multiple different ways of disabling your immune system). That they can be tailored to the individual patient is their greatest strength.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Wendigee posted:

i feel like i live in a fairly chuddy place, but I don't know a single person that has even gotten covid let alone died from it.

I also don't know anyone that isn't vaxxed as of a few months ago when my friends idiot wife finally decided it was safe to get it even though she was pregnant *eyeroll* come on lady that is like one of the few ways to give the baby antibodies at birth right now loving hell.

I guess my friend group is fairly small (~10 people) and my company has been having us all work from home for over a year now so many that is isolating me from the nutters.

I have not talked to extended family in years but that's not abnormal for us.

the old rear end unvaxxed chuds my inlaws know are dropping like fuckin flies, probably a dozen or some poo poo.

i know a ton of coworkers who got it but only one guy was severe case, all hosed up, long covid. most were asymptomatic or had a few random symptoms and never "felt sick"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sure, I could just see some near-misses and so on happening as the fortunes of war. I don't know the fine details, I'm just some herbivore

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blooster posted:

Isn't it really trivial to get a religious exemption thus making this whole thing sort of worthless?

No, not really. Like I said above, there is going to be some variation by how chuddy a given state or company is.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/09/health/covid-vaccine-religious-exemptions-khn/index.html

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Novo posted:

we care. but i'm going to go ahead and guess the thought process is "I don't know anything but i'm going to pretend I know everything"

I meant the chud idiots wouldn't care and honestly they aren't ever going to read it anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm honestly not sure what Biden gains from this, has there been polling suggesting that a vaccine mandate would be popular?

All he had to do was say at every opportunity that people should get vaccinated, the chuds would ignore him and the less chudish people would eventually go and do it.

Yeah there's been lots of polls all throughout the pandemic that show that the "silent majority" of US citizens were in favor of vaxx mandates and mask mandates. Here's some random ones I googled:

Employee vaxx mandates: 56% pro vs 32% anti: https://morningconsult.com/2021/07/28/return-to-normal-vaccine-mandates-polling/

Mask mandates in schools for teachers/students, 59%/58% pro vs 22%/25% anti: https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-health-education-coronavirus-pandemic-only-on-ap-0440d83602da918c571d506a3de9f44b

There were also those school board meetings where pretty much everyone who turned up on person was a stark-raving mad anti-masker but when the mandates went to an actual vote they lost by a huge margin because the parents who stayed at home and voted via email were majority in favor.
Note that there's also lots of polls that show that most US respondents are not in favor of any of that stuff but they're usually conducted by TV channels among their own viewers and aren't representative of the wider population

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, not really. Like I said above, there is going to be some variation by how chuddy a given state or company is.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/09/health/covid-vaccine-religious-exemptions-khn/index.html

I read a post somewhere where they were talking about their company's vaxx requirements and to get the religious exemption they actually had to fill out a form detailing exactly how their religion forbade vaccines and a bunch of their coworkers were fuming and futilely trying to google the answer because they just weren't capable of explaining their "exemption" reasons, it was great. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 11, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

withak posted:

The ceremonial golden Parliamentary Mace here in Melbourne Australia got stolen back in 1891 and although they offered a large reward for its return it was never found so they just made a replacement. Legend has it that several government ministers were holding on orgy at a nearby brothel the night it disappeared and they'd snuck it out and taken it with them to conduct “less-than-proper parliamentary proceedings” (as the newspapers at the time phrased it) and lost it.
https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/archive/Assembly/FactSheet19/Fact19.htm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Antivaccination is stochastic human sacrifice, and I don’t care what your religion is, human sacrifice is not acceptable. :colbert:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
CNN interviewed a West Virginia anti-vaxxer. He believes COVID is real and serious, but he also believes the vaccine was delayed in order to cost Trump the election, so he's refusing to get vaccinated for that reason.

He really thinks he's owning the libs.