Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
my settlement is perpetually in debt because my vykeen settlers seem very gung ho about going off on expeditions and getting themselves killed

to each their own I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The times are a bit of a lie but yeah, I had to just keep scanning for trade depots while wandering towards the "dumb distance away" one until I got one a saner distance. I was honestly expecting that I'd find enough secure facilities with the Minotaur scanner to just buy the Herox recipe first at the rate I was going there.

As a followup "son of a bitch" moment: "Charting 4 waypoints" gives 6 Factory Override Units and 4 Secure Site charts, which would have been more than enough to get to the required Herox recipe directly from the first Factory I found, and would have saved me like an hour of hunting for an outpost.

So, you know, if anyone else is doing this still.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As a followup "son of a bitch" moment: "Charting 4 waypoints" gives 6 Factory Override Units and 4 Secure Site charts, which would have been more than enough to get to the required Herox recipe directly from the first Factory I found, and would have saved me like an hour of hunting for an outpost.

I found floating crystals quite quickly that gave me the 2 herox. that and buried minerals that are everywhere that give glowing things give you herox.

Just scan everything, rush getting your ship in the air and everything else becomes butter.

Also, you get 2 toxic modules pretty quick and once you've scanned the rocks they all give you ammonia to charge them.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 9, 2021

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

I used those to unlock the recipes for the quantum computer and the other thing instead.
I used the scanner on the minotaur mech thing to find an outpost. The game said it was 52 minutes away but I was able to keep using the jump over and over again and got there in maybe 8 or 9 minutes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

giddyup!

Tips:

1. scan everything from the second you hit the planet
2. get your ship fixed asap
3. to get the 30 seconds in the air, using the jetpack resets the timer. use your ship to shoot a bunch of stuff on the ground to gather carbon and ferrite, build a base on the top of one of the spiky mountains and build a stairway to heaven.
4. if you get constant crashing on xbox S/X, turn multiplayer off in the network settings
5. murder any hazardous plants you see
6. cave rocks

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Powershift posted:

3. to get the 30 seconds in the air, using the jetpack resets the timer. use your ship to shoot a bunch of stuff on the ground to gather carbon and ferrite, build a base on the top of one of the spiky mountains and build a stairway to heaven.

The really cheaty way to get this once you have a ship is:
1. Jump around until you get a freighter, take the lovely first one unless you really care about having a good one on the expedition save, make sure you don't send out your initial frigate on any mission
2. Summon it to you from the planet surface, on foot
3. Stock up on life support gel/oxygen
4. Park on the frigate
5. Jump
6. Spam life support gel until you hit atmosphere and use your jetpack to not splat

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Devor posted:

Narrator: They did not.

Invest in ion batteries for recharging instead of trying to recharge with sodium constantly.

Reminder that you can summon exocraft from the start, so don't be dumb like me and grind everything out on foot at first.

gently caress.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've built 5 roofs for whatever this stupid settlement building is going to be

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I love that you can grief by dropping a base in the near vicinity of a copper deposit, thereby making it inaccessible to anyone but you.

Also how if you just stand around for long enough the game will apparently give you achievements that people in your general area also achieved.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
NGL I just turned off multiplayer immediately, assuming that there were going to be Issues with the concept of "everyone is literally stuck on the same starting planet, possibly in the same general starting area" in a game where griefer avoidance advice is usually "go to one of the other 18 quintillion planets"

also when I loaded in my normal save before the expedition I forgot that pvp was enabled and got shot to death by someone strafing their ship inside the anomaly

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I've built 5 roofs for whatever this stupid settlement building is going to be

The way I've found to fix this issue (until it's fixed for real) is to do the following:

1) Get the construction going and ignore the current countdown timer. It could be lying.
2) Teleport to another system.
3) Save and reload. Note the (possibly new) time to completion. This is the actual countdown timer.
4) Don't go back to your settlement (or it's system?) until that time is up.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I went back to play another round of expedition because I'm dumb like that and found two entertaining things

Devor posted:

Reminder that you can summon exocraft from the start, so don't be dumb like me and grind everything out on foot at first.

This was apparently a bug, you were not intended to be able to summon the pilgrim from the get-go

and

Spawns seem to be only pseodorandom, and even in "No online" mode, other player's bases in the exact same spot can prevent you from being able to build anything, including "save points" and "terrain modification", so as this expedition continues people are going to be invisibly prevented from building anywhere near the ship they can't move

lol, lmao

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The really cheaty way to get this once you have a ship is:
1. Jump around until you get a freighter, take the lovely first one unless you really care about having a good one on the expedition save, make sure you don't send out your initial frigate on any mission
2. Summon it to you from the planet surface, on foot
3. Stock up on life support gel/oxygen
4. Park on the frigate
5. Jump
6. Spam life support gel until you hit atmosphere and use your jetpack to not splat

The really really cheaty way to get this is:
1. Build 2 walls and a ceiling so that you have a corner.
2. Stand in the corner
3. Hold down your jetpack button for 30s.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
At the very beginning of the expedition I placed a Construction Research Unit that had a blueprints mode that was very similar to the place on the Anomaly and I could flip through several pages to unlock various technologies. Tonight I open the save game and I got the normal one with a smattering of techs and some structures.

Was the first one with the blueprints a bug or was the second one the bug?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nullsmack posted:

2. Stand in the corner

fuckin lmao

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nullsmack posted:

At the very beginning of the expedition I placed a Construction Research Unit that had a blueprints mode that was very similar to the place on the Anomaly and I could flip through several pages to unlock various technologies. Tonight I open the save game and I got the normal one with a smattering of techs and some structures.

Was the first one with the blueprints a bug or was the second one the bug?

Once you get off the planet (might be "get access to the anomaly?") the Research Unit reverts to the old functionality, which is unfortunate because I was unironically extremely excited about that apparent change

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Basic Chunnel posted:

I love that you can grief by dropping a base in the near vicinity of a copper deposit, thereby making it inaccessible to anyone but you.

Just wanna say a big gently caress you to people who do this. Only Silver deposit in sight and I couldn't use it. Several Ancient ruins also hosed up the same way so I couldn't dig for the artifacts.

I finally cracked the start of the expedition and repaired my ship last night. What did it for me was getting a Roamer geobay built, and the scanner upgrades for the roamer, so I could search for various buildings. Suddenly I was getting hits that were 3 minutes away not 17 hours. After that the challenge rewards started rolling in and I was able to get all the bits required to repair the main systems, so now I'm airborne and have a couple phases left to complete.

Is there any point to Fireworks other than the obvious lightshow? Are they actually useful for anything?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

...I can't build the minotaur bay because they're limited to 5 per planet?

EDIT: I was extremely lucky that a nearby base had one I could summon

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 10, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

...I can't build the minotaur bay because they're limited to 5 per planet?

EDIT: I was extremely lucky that a nearby base had one I could summon

The irritating but viable solution for this is "don't build it in your base". As long as you're outside the boundary of your base-building poo poo, you can drop exocraft pads wherever the gently caress for some reason

I put a TLDR of the quickest way to get off planet together with the expectation that people will probably want it in about 5.5 weeks

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 10, 2021

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Once you get off the planet (might be "get access to the anomaly?") the Research Unit reverts to the old functionality, which is unfortunate because I was unironically extremely excited about that apparent change

Ahhh that sucks. I really wish they would just keep it in the blueprints mode. That explains why it changed though. I left the planet and went to the space station. Then the next time I checked it for a new tech, it had reverted to the old functionality.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Nullsmack posted:

2. Stand in the corner

Just did this, thank you! Got an S-Class jetpack upgrade for it. :cool:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the expedition something that can be knocked out relatively quickly or is it annoying and not really worth the trouble?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

It’s not really quick. There’s a few deliberate hurdles forcing you to go scan all the things and move around a planet without your ship for a bit, but I feel like I’ve got over the hump of the annoyances now and I’m like 3-4 hours into it. A chunk of that was dithering about not fully figuring out what to do first though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are the rewards similar to the previous expedition where going through it gets you most of the backpack/ship upgrades?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not much of a trophy hunter but the only one I need is the extreme weather milestone one, I'm only a bit into it but even though I've spent my time on planets with extreme weather it seems to take forever to go up. Is there a way to expedite this besides just planting my rear end in a cave and watch storms go by for hours on end?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

man they really should open up some kind of manual building in the settlements. i like the decisions and having automated building projects but beyond that you kinda just have to pop in and out, and you can’t even drop a teleporter to streamline the out part

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Stare-Out posted:

I'm not much of a trophy hunter but the only one I need is the extreme weather milestone one, I'm only a bit into it but even though I've spent my time on planets with extreme weather it seems to take forever to go up. Is there a way to expedite this besides just planting my rear end in a cave and watch storms go by for hours on end?

build a base on an extreme weather planet and sit in that instead. besides, you'll want some mining bases on extreme planets anyway for the activated versions of metals, and in fact i got that achievement just in the normal course of getting a large mining operation set up for activated indium.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are the rewards similar to the previous expedition where going through it gets you most of the backpack/ship upgrades?

You start out with an enormous backpack, so yeah it helps you skip a bunch of the tedium.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In my expedition somehow another base got bugged into my base, and it was differently oriented. It has basically turned it to a 1970s style church, architecturally, very modernist. I can’t delete any of the other base’s structures which means I can’t get into 3/4 of the stuff I built, but the other base already had a galactic trade interface just barely poking through a wall, which really saved on the busy work of Phase 2 so no complaints here.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Mandrel posted:

man they really should open up some kind of manual building in the settlements. i like the decisions and having automated building projects but beyond that you kinda just have to pop in and out, and you can’t even drop a teleporter to streamline the out part

There's an experimental patch out now that they are testing. They are adding a teleporter to the Overseer's office and NPCs/Trade terminal to the Marketplace buildings.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm still not getting any settlement events. Maybe I should move settlement again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

There's an experimental patch out now that they are testing. They are adding a teleporter to the Overseer's office and NPCs/Trade terminal to the Marketplace buildings.

Hah! I just build a base overlooking the settlement from a nearby cliff and then just build a long staircase towards the settlement. A chain of short-range teleporters later, and I could just warp out of the settlement back to the base teleporter in a cinch

Now I'll probably forget this new settlement teleporter exists half the time :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Done with the Expedtion, 7 hours played. There definitely does come a point where it becomes less challenging and more just jumping through hoops to get ticks on things.

Still good though, I enjoy the way it pushes you to do things outside the usual stuff.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

oh hell yeah nice

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

build a base on an extreme weather planet and sit in that instead. besides, you'll want some mining bases on extreme planets anyway for the activated versions of metals, and in fact i got that achievement just in the normal course of getting a large mining operation set up for activated indium.

I don't really do base building and I don't need money or materials, I was just curious if I could knock out the milestone easier than sitting in a cave on a stormy planet.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What's the reward for doing the expeditions? Seeing if i should bother with it or not haha.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Nullsmack posted:

2. Stand in the corner

Ha, this glitch worked for the 'Climb a Mountain Over 625u' milestone. I didn't know that pressing up against a vertical wall didn't use jetpack fuel, so just find a peak and fire the jetpack until the milestone triggers.

I really wish I knew you could summon the Pilgrim early on. I wasted so much time collecting ammonia for my toxic protection.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

PeePot posted:

Ha, this glitch worked for the 'Climb a Mountain Over 625u' milestone. I didn't know that pressing up against a vertical wall didn't use jetpack fuel, so just find a peak and fire the jetpack until the milestone triggers.

This actually isn't a glitch. It's intended behaviour because people were getting stuck in places. There's even a hint tooltip which tells you to "Use the jetpack to climb", but it doesn't properly explain it so if you didn't read the patch notes 2 and a half years ago you wouldn't know.

The other fun climbing fact a lot of people don't seem to know is that the Roamer can climb any surface as long as it's a gradient. if it's directly straight up vertical or an overhang it loses grip, but you can also drive it up those huge spires on the expedition planet.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 11, 2021

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I started on a 100 ft on a side steep rear end mountain peak with at least 2 other people and we all had our bases crammed as tight as possible so we were all hugging the edges. That sucked.

It took me quite awhile to realize that like 2/3 of the minerals on the starter world are underwater, and to find deep water that has a couple of rarer ones. That sucked.

Someone somehow got a minotaur which gave it to me too, which was confusing. This was my first minotaur, so I wondered what buggy thing was making it so that it couldn't turn or reverse, then it turns out that that's intended behavior. The Minotaur loving suuucks.

My opinion is as follows: the vanilla game experience is probably better for this update, but my first experience with expeditions is that they suck. Even if they do give you a bunch of stuff for free, I was just constantly frustrated. Thank you.

edit: Upon further reflection, I think I would have found this much, much more enjoyable if the starter planet had gentler terrain and was not butt ugly, making the 4 hours it took me to finally escape not miserable.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I had fun with it, and the final planet you land on was gorgeous. But, I can definitely see where people can get frustrated. Thankfully, it seems like each expedition has been fairly different and focused on various parts of the game, so if you didn't like this one, there's nothing indicating you wouldn't like the next one.

I do wonder how much of the negative response is because of bugs as opposed to content, though. I had lots of bases spawning on top of my base, the photo mode didn't freeze my pets while I was riding them, etc. It does seem like one of the buggier patches overall, and it's a bit hard to separate that experience from the expedition as a whole.

I can't say I had a bad time overall, though. It seemed like a nice way to speedrun a new save and get a ton of modules/tech that would have taken significantly longer and at more expense than just running through the expo. I do hope the final reward is available in the anomaly on my "main" save, though, since I don't anticipate picking up this file again for a good while and I like the pet a lot.

Looking forward to the Silver Fighter on Monday, too.