Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Willo567 posted:

How's the PC version? I heard that there's really bad stuttering because of the game using UE4 and that the game can crash at random. Is it just the Steam version, or is the Game Pass version affected as well?

I think the game crashed once for me the entire time I played it, and ran smooth as silk without any issue on the highest settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought Tim Schafer straight up said that Psychonauts takes place in the 90s, but I can't remember where I think I heard or read that.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Jerusalem posted:

I think the game crashed once for me the entire time I played it, and ran smooth as silk without any issue on the highest settings.

Are you playing it on Game Pass or Steam? I heard that there were stuttering issues due to it compiling shaders as the game is played

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Willo567 posted:

Are you playing it on Game Pass or Steam? I heard that there were stuttering issues due to it compiling shaders as the game is played

On Steam.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no problems at high refresh rate 1440p cranked from the gamepass version. played it on day one too.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Am i missing something trying to get this fungus from the top of the falls? There are a few prompts around but Raz won't take any of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Shame Boy posted:

Am i missing something trying to get this fungus from the top of the falls? There are a few prompts around but Raz won't take any of them.

You want the big prominent one that's towards the back on a ledge as you enter the cave. Just gotta stand in front of it to get the interact prompt.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Edit: Misread.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

How's the PC version? I heard that there's really bad stuttering because of the game using UE4 and that the game can crash at random. Is it just the Steam version, or is the Game Pass version affected as well?

There was an initial stuttering with whatever way the Gamepass version was set up for PC. There's bugs of course but I think that specific one of stuttering had to do with that.

I also think it's fixed? I played through just fine on PC on an 3080 but I also know that's not going to be every PC lol

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Willo567 posted:

Played the whole thing (Steam version) at 1440p on an an rear end-old 1070 at pretty much max settings, never experienced any performance dips or crashes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Shame Boy posted:

Are you actually in the cave behind the falls you get to by riding a log up or just the forest area next to them because the former is where you need to be.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you actually in the cave behind the falls you get to by riding a log up or just the forest area next to them because the former is where you need to be.

I KNEW there was a cave behind the dang waterfall! It kinda looks like there is but you don't really get a good look at it for long enough when the logs go up :argh: How do you even get in there easily?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

I KNEW there was a cave behind the dang waterfall! It kinda looks like there is but you don't really get a good look at it for long enough when the logs go up :argh: How do you even get in there easily?

Time slow the logs going up, jump on top keep time slowing till you see the cave, jump into cave

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

The Shame Boy posted:

As you progress through the game and gain additional powers, one of them in particular will be of use there.

Specifically, you'll get a power that allows you to slow down objects in time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's also possible to get in without using that power, just very finicky.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Checking out the Any% speedruns for this game and it's already well past broken, top time is like 1:38

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Checking out the Any% speedruns for this game and it's already well past broken, top time is like 1:38

Did they find a "developer shortcut" i.e. jump into the correct spot and then you glitch out into a debug area where you can just select the ending cutscene?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Did they find a "developer shortcut" i.e. jump into the correct spot and then you glitch out into a debug area where you can just select the ending cutscene?

Nope, just a ton of weird movement tech. Apparently there's some way to clip through water and run around underneath it.

Here's the current WR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ym8U7WEW4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I thought 1:38 meant 1 minute 38 seconds lol

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh I thought 1:38 meant 1 minute 38 seconds lol

Oh, yeah me too. That's was kinda why I made the snarky remark, I couldn't fathom 1 min 38 seconds unless there was some serious glitching going on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's one figment in [spoilers]Nona's[/spoiler] level that I can't reach. It's in the second area, with all the rail(ing) figments, at the end of the second rail. They're in an arc, like you're supposed to somehow exit the grind and get air when you do, but I just drop to the ground. Lev jumping doesn't get high enough no matter where I did it from. How do I get this one last figment?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IUG posted:

There's one figment in [spoilers]Nona's[/spoiler] level that I can't reach. It's in the second area, with all the rail(ing) figments, at the end of the second rail. They're in an arc, like you're supposed to somehow exit the grind and get air when you do, but I just drop to the ground. Lev jumping doesn't get high enough no matter where I did it from. How do I get this one last figment?

The balls at the end of the rails are springs, don't jump. It confused the poo poo out of me.

If you mean the very very end of that area there is a campfire

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

The balls at the end of the rails are springs, don't jump. It confused the poo poo out of me.

Ahhhhhh! :bang:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't even see anything at the end, and I rode them until Raz was on the ground. I'll try again tomorrow maybe, I have a sick kid who just re-enacted Boole's boss fight.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
You have to get on the rail early enough that you spool up the yarn into the ball.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wittgen posted:

You have to get on the rail early enough that you spool up the yarn into the ball.

Ah, this is probably it. I took the yarn ball as an indicator of "grinding starts here", and starting grinding just after that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Avoiding most of this thread since I don't want to get spoiled, but I read somewhere that there's a shortcut for the Levitation powers so you don't have to waste a trigger button on it. I found an option to use the balloon if you hit jump again in midair, but is there any way to get the rolly ball without actually binding it to a button?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phenotype posted:

Avoiding most of this thread since I don't want to get spoiled, but I read somewhere that there's a shortcut for the Levitation powers so you don't have to waste a trigger button on it. I found an option to use the balloon if you hit jump again in midair, but is there any way to get the rolly ball without actually binding it to a button?

Same option menu also has a toggle for the ball on the next press of the jump button.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I've done everything except getting all the figments, and I'm missing basically 3 or 4 of them on every level and the idea of running through them a bunch of times to find whatever nook or cranny I didn't go to is awful. Even using a guide would take forever and feel pretty unsatisfying and annoying. Its a drag because I'm really close to getting that platinum trophy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've done everything except getting all the figments, and I'm missing basically 3 or 4 of them on every level and the idea of running through them a bunch of times to find whatever nook or cranny I didn't go to is awful. Even using a guide would take forever and feel pretty unsatisfying and annoying. Its a drag because I'm really close to getting that platinum trophy.

Agreed, especially when some of the fuckers blend in against surfaces. I reckon what they could've done is make the Stray Thoughts Detector detect Figments while inside minds.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just finished the story as well as the last few collectables to 100% the achievements. :D Really enjoyed the game!

Caesar Saladin posted:

They're not too bad. I used this list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1brszMl9RLbrGcf_HPtpKvNhagy_f-z7i9hbEWiN9hO8/edit

and compared my Figment graphics to the screenshots pictured to figure out which ones I was missing. It also provides enough description of where to find it in the level (the square brackets usually indicate where to fast travel to) so you don't have to search every nook & cranny.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fanatic posted:

They're not too bad. I used this list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1brszMl9RLbrGcf_HPtpKvNhagy_f-z7i9hbEWiN9hO8/edit

and compared my Figment graphics to the screenshots pictured to figure out which ones I was missing. It also provides enough description of where to find it in the level (the square brackets usually indicate where to fast travel to) so you don't have to search every nook & cranny.

Oh that's a way better guide than those lovely 40 minute youtube guides out there.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Oh that's a way better guide than those lovely 40 minute youtube guides out there.

Yeah those are really only useful for the odd emotional baggage, memory vaults etc. you may have missed, and only if the uploader provides timestamps :cheeky:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

In general I think the in-game figments list works well to push you in the right direction, though things like grass are hard to tell where they come from. Also, there is no 0/1 shown, so if you are missing one of those you're out of luck.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Fanatic posted:

only if the uploader provides timestamps :cheeky:

what a world this would be

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

God, I'm missing 4 PSI challenge cards and I have the platinum. I'm seriously going to have to run through entire videos following youtubers to get these. Its two in the forest, one in the quarry, and one in the gulch. They could be anywhere, i wish there was a decent way in game to track them. The figments weren't that bad at all with the google docs guide.

Is there a google docs guide like that for the PSI cards?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wittgen posted:

This worked for me, holy poo poo. I don't know how you were supposed to know this mechanic introduced at the end of the game, and is only on these two railing, was going to be a thing.

Just a few more levels to 100%, and fill my wallet, and I'll have this 100%. Hopefully before more Deltaruin comes out tonight or something.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

God, I'm missing 4 PSI challenge cards and I have the platinum. I'm seriously going to have to run through entire videos following youtubers to get these. Its two in the forest, one in the quarry, and one in the gulch. They could be anywhere, i wish there was a decent way in game to track them. The figments weren't that bad at all with the google docs guide.

Is there a google docs guide like that for the PSI cards?

For cards in the gulch, they are spread out fairly well and there IS one by Cassie's building. I missed it entirely because of the hazards getting there. If you stand on the platform right by her building and look back toward where you came from, it's on a building to your right.

E: also check the top of and bottom of the tower to Bob's building, there's a couple sneaky ones

For the one in the quarry, there's one that you can only get by boat. Check under the motherlobe

I can't help you with the forest, I have one loving card left and I spent an entire episode of The Adventure Zone poking around there to find it with no luck. :argh:

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I played Psychonauts 1 many years ago and loved it. I just beat 2 and enjoyed it thoroughly as well

Getting it on game pass was awesome. I downloaded psychonauts 1 on game pass. Any tips on modifying it to run on modern hardware with a wide screen 1440p monitor?

Is rhombus of ruin worth the $20 for a two hour game?I have an oculus but get VR headaches easily so I was considering just watching a play through on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mysteryberto posted:

I played Psychonauts 1 many years ago and loved it. I just beat 2 and enjoyed it thoroughly as well

Getting it on game pass was awesome. I downloaded psychonauts 1 on game pass. Any tips on modifying it to run on modern hardware with a wide screen 1440p monitor?

Is rhombus of ruin worth the $20 for a two hour game?I have an oculus but get VR headaches easily so I was considering just watching a play through on YouTube.

I liked it, but it would've been better to get when it was on sale when Psychonauts 2 came out. You have all the info from it in 2 already, it's mainly dealing with Loboto