Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cyouni posted:

Doing a quick check, they added a conditions section that also doesn't do anything - if you're sickened, for example, none of your numbers are changed, meaning you need to adjust them on the fly every time. So the main benefit of using a VTT character sheet isn't even there.

This is incorrect. We use the conditions toggles all the time and they work as advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Toshimo posted:

This is incorrect. We use the conditions toggles all the time and they work as advertised.

I find that incredibly difficult to believe given Frightened and Sickened don't have an associated number

Edit: Oh that is ridiculously unintuitive, even compared to FantasyGrounds.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 10, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cyouni posted:

I find that incredibly difficult to believe given Frightened and Sickened don't have an associated number

This is why I question all the people telling me that R20 doesn't work and Foundry is The One True Way.

Like, I've been in half a dozen Foundry campaigns with different DMs and they have all been an exercise in fighting the VTT every step of the way and losing more time dealing with that and playing.

In contrast, while the automation isn't there, R20 "just works" 99% of the time, and if you invest the minimum time, you can bolt just about anything you need on.

Not to mention that Foundry built its stuff on the back of :filez: (it's great to see they now have a thing that scans for watermarked PDFs, though, that's pretty reasonable) and free labor (that also got to pick and choose what they think is worth implementing, so good luck if your character needs non-standard stuff).

Like, enjoy the thing that works for you, but be honest about the comparisons. I am acutely aware of R20's many shortcomings, but having taught people how to get it up and working, it's actually quite simple to hop in and go with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's not loving :filez: you disingenuous idiot it's literally the pathfinder resource document used according to paizo's own licensing

e: foundry categorically does not allow copyright-infringing material in its public systems directory, which the pf2e system is part of. There's probably some people being sneaky or making mistakes or something, and I've heard (but never used) that there's a 5e rules set with a bunch of items and details that definitely aren't OGC that isn't available through the public directory. But none of that applies to the pathfinder 2e system, or mods, or how people are using it here.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 10, 2021

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Toshimo posted:

This is why I question all the people telling me that R20 doesn't work and Foundry is The One True Way.

Like, I've been in half a dozen Foundry campaigns with different DMs and they have all been an exercise in fighting the VTT every step of the way and losing more time dealing with that and playing.

In contrast, while the automation isn't there, R20 "just works" 99% of the time, and if you invest the minimum time, you can bolt just about anything you need on.

Not to mention that Foundry built its stuff on the back of :filez: (it's great to see they now have a thing that scans for watermarked PDFs, though, that's pretty reasonable) and free labor (that also got to pick and choose what they think is worth implementing, so good luck if your character needs non-standard stuff).

Like, enjoy the thing that works for you, but be honest about the comparisons. I am acutely aware of R20's many shortcomings, but having taught people how to get it up and working, it's actually quite simple to hop in and go with.

are you like a clever fae creature who foils unsuspecting rubes as they try to navigate Foundry, frustrating their every move and confusing their simple minds

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Toshimo posted:

You mean the fact that the actual section for the number is approximately 1/10th of the size of the accompanying menu and is functionally invisible on their default sheet sizing?

Like, it only "just works" if you ignore the fact that it literally only came out with that function 2.5 years after the release of the base game, an entire core rules book is broken with their sheet, and it's the clunkiest thing to ever work with if you don't use their drag-and-drop.

Is this really what you're trying to argue is the paragon of usability?

As an aside, I've also created multiple custom items in Foundry that work with the automation, with barely any effort (aside from having to work from existing examples since I couldn't actually find the documentation), and added custom modifiers to feats so that I don't have to add things like Cooperative Nature manually each time. Really not hard.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 10, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Every single time this argument happens in this thread someone pushing Foundry says Roll20 can't or doesn't do something that it very easily and clearly does and then gets incredibly angry at the lightest push back (Last time it was secret gm rolls using player stats iirc).

You should all probably chill cause posts like

Arivia posted:

it's not loving :filez: you disingenuous idiot it's literally the pathfinder resource document used according to paizo's own licensing

Are incredibly loving dumb to be this heated over something like this and way too aggro to be healthy.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every single time this argument happens in this thread someone pushing Foundry says Roll20 can't or doesn't do something that it very easily and clearly does and then gets incredibly angry at the lightest push back (Last time it was secret gm rolls using player stats iirc).

Are incredibly loving dumb to be this heated over something like this and way too aggro to be healthy.

Just to be clear, Roll20 still can't do that. The answer was "Actually, the player doesn't need to do secret rolls, the GM should secretly roll them for the player every time." The player cannot roll a Die and show it to the GM without seeing the result.

Fake edit: My players do these rolls dozens of times a session, it's a pretty basic thing.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

with a swish of my tail and a fail of your flail your attack roll will now be an error ho ho ho i see your foundry has crashed pretty frustrating is it not

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sugar free jazz posted:

with a swish of my tail and a fail of your flail your attack roll will now be an error ho ho ho i see your foundry has crashed pretty frustrating is it not

Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch. I was there when it was written.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

My only foundry story is that the one time I joined a foundry game with video streaming chat, my high end gaming computer with an RTX3080 shuddered and stuttered the entire time. I found the performance lacking.

It's nice to have a fully functional macro system that automatically does everything with a couple of clicks, but the learning curve to actually get proficient in the software is on the level of Autocad or Blender, at that point I'd rather just use paper sheets like the bad old days and do the dice manually

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

It's not that hard, the base UI is unintuitive unless you're the one who made it, probably, but there're mods you can get that make things like targeting and adding conditions easy to do. I think it depends on what you run, if you're doing a combat heavy dungeon crawl, then any amount of learning foundry is going to save you just an unbelievable amount of time in combat automation. If you aren't doing that, then it probably doesn't matter much. I still prefer Foundry, but "Roll20 has abandoned PF2E" is much less true now, so it's more viable maybe? I only use Roll20 for 5E and PF1E.

The PF2E system for Foundry's definitely getting less stable as they add more features, which is pretty frustrating. I remember when I started it was missing some automation I wanted so I wrote a module to fix that, but they ended up rolling all the functionality I wanted into the core system. At this point I'm starting to look at joining the system team because things like phantom tokens and tokens losing their sheets etc. are becoming incredibly common since whatever they did to add in Secrets of Magic. I don't think I have to refresh significantly more often in foundry than I do in Roll20, they're both poo poo that way in my experience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I am just as sick and tired of these arguments as you are. I responded so strongly because Toshimo outright lying to support his position is making them even worse.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Can we just ban VTT chat in this thread that isn’t
1) specific how to questions or answers or tips
2) actual news or announcements relative to pathfinder stuff?

Throw links to roll20/foundry in the OP, maybe quote a best foot forward “Why should you use this one” from somebody for each, and call it a day and end this dumb repetitive derail?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Please ignore Toshimo at all times

I'd encourage anyone to find a PFS session that's run in Foundry by a GM who is not a dipshit and you will probably come away impressed. Cayden's Keg is a great lodge for these games and they are listed on Warhorn.

This video can be helpful for people who aren't clear on what's different. I don't know this guy but it's a decent tour of some features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckaPqWy5h4k

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Luebbi posted:

I am GMing the one that came after AoA -Extinction Curse- and it's a lot of fun. The players are part of a circus troupe, although adventuring is at the forefront. Be aware that map resolution for this one is poor. Paizo started providing VTT-usable maps starting with Agents of Edgewatch.

Hey, GM-of-Extinction-Curse-game buddy! I use the maps from this foundry add-on:

https://foundryvtt.com/packages/ec-maps-remake-by-lios

Much nicer looking to my eye. Lighting and walls set up in advance, although I think the creator only has the first three books done so far.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Syrinxx posted:

I'd encourage anyone to find a PFS session that's run in Foundry by a GM who is not a dipshit and you will probably come away impressed. Cayden's Keg is a great lodge for these games and they are listed on Warhorn.

Yeah no that didn't happen. As I said earlier it comes off as Roll20 with a better UI which is to say that I still have to enter all the information into the sheet.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah no that didn't happen. As I said earlier it comes off as Roll20 with a better UI which is to say that I still have to enter all the information into the sheet.
I specifically said "not a dipshit" so if you didn't import your fully built character from Pathbuilder or Herolab into Foundry with a single click, then by all means enjoy Roll20; it sounds perfect for you and your GM!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Syrinxx posted:

I specifically said "not a dipshit" so if you didn't import your fully built character from Pathbuilder or Herolab into Foundry with a single click, then by all means enjoy Roll20; it sounds perfect for you and your GM!

Like I said, this kind of poo poo is the absolute worst in this thread. Please just be normal.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah but I haven't really seen what Foundry does differently than Roll20 if you are not using Pathbuilder. It still has a faster UI but unless my GM is doing something wrong which could be the case its almost exactly the same.

For starters:
  • Handles additional dice on attacks, including sneak attack/panache.
  • Actually have quick access to everything relevant.
  • Have lighting/walls without paying $5 a month for Roll20's thing that chugs super hard if you have to draw too many weird corners (though it sounds like they're trying to update it?)
  • Supports sound being played through what I believe is a Spotify playlist, which I honestly don't know if Roll20 does/doesn't do anymore after they were supporting it, gave up, tried again, and gave up again.
  • Supports animated images without having to download the Roll20 Extension Suite.
  • Full compendium and spells auto-scaling to the levels they're placed in.
  • Auto-handles item bonuses, weapon generation, etc, based on what you have equipped - this is actually kind of problematic sometimes, as I have a shifting weapon.
  • I know some of the feats will also auto-calculate their bonuses, but I'm not sure if all of them do - for example, I think I added on the code to make Glad-Hand and Cooperative Nature constantly appear as toggles on my Diplomacy rolls.
  • I think my GM mentioned something about being able to MonsterTools something directly in Foundry? So that's really nice for custom monsters.
  • I know there's a Treat Wounds thing that takes into account Risky Surgery and Medic Dedication.
  • Polymorph spell support.
  • Ability for GM to request hidden rolls from players, and also group roll checks/saves.

On random fun mods, customizable 3d dice which can range from cancer (my friend's) to probably-still-cancer-but-at-least-it-looks-like-dice (mine).

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 10, 2021

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Syrinxx posted:

You mean use the program that doesn't implement Pathfinder mechanics correctly requiring you to go back and manually implement them into the system.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know why folks in this thread feel the need to white knight different VTT systems, but the aggro, insulting, hostile way y'all are doing it is not OK.

If someone is mistaken about a feature being available, you can point it out without calling them names. If someone has a preference, they're allowed to have it. User interfaces for software often confuse people, and insulting people for being confused is really poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Fwiw, if anyone does want some help getting Roll20 (or Discord, or any other parts of online play) set-up or troubleshooting, you can always contact me here (via pm), on Discord, or via e-mail, and I'll set aside some time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

so foundry is discord and roll20 is teamspeak

playing a game this evening and have rolled an elven ranger who does risky surgery on people during combat. Took the Stabilize cantrip so when I inevitably kill a party member I can get rid of their dying condition at least lol

edit: I used stealth to sneak into a room and then loudly shouted back to the party "there's a dragon in here!" apparently the dragon heard me rushed up knocked me down to 1HP. Then the thing breath-blasted the whole party but I managed to roll a nat 20 to avoid all damage as everyone writhed in pain around me.

failed every nature roll I tried with a crit miss lol

what books should I pick up for pathfinder? Obviously the core book, but do I need the "advanced player guide"? Or the new magic secrets one? I'm thinking of making a debuffer mage of some kind once my ranger is dead

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 11, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

playing a game this evening and have rolled an elven ranger who does risky surgery on people during combat. Took the Stabilize cantrip so when I inevitably kill a party member I can get rid of their dying condition at least lol

edit: I used stealth to sneak into a room and then loudly shouted back to the party "there's a dragon in here!" apparently the dragon heard me rushed up knocked me down to 1HP. Then the thing breath-blasted the whole party but I managed to roll a nat 20 to avoid all damage as everyone writhed in pain around me.

what books should I pick up for pathfinder? Obviously the core book, but do I need the "advanced player guide"? Or the new magic secrets one? I'm thinking of making a debuffer mage of some kind once my ranger is dead

All the rules material is (legally) available online for free so you don't need to pick up any books for that.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Yes, Nethys 2E is your one-stop ressource and has all the rules, using the Paizo community use policy.

Still, it's nice to have printed books. The Core Rulebook has all you need; later books add more options. The Advanced Player's Guide features new classes (Swashbuckler, Investigator, Witch), feats, equipment and the like. Secrets of Magic has new spells, equipemnt, and adds the Summoner and Magus. If you want to buy another book, Secrets of Magic might have some new spells that might be interesting for your envisioned build.

Kiro
May 7, 2007
As auto-calculating character sheets go, I think PECS is really good, and I think that because I made it. It's sort of early-access where content is concerned, so your experience depends on whether you're playing the right class for now. https://github.com/bukiro/PECS

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
owlbear rodeo or gtfo, nabs

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The core book is a good pickup because, obviously, the core rules are nice to read in an orderly and organized fashion in a way that jumping around through links on Nethys doesn’t really duplicate well and can help to avoid weird holes in your understanding of how things work where you just assume that mechanic is like some other game you’ve played.

But in terms of newer rules content and mechanics splatbooks, just use Archives of Nethys as others have said, unless one of the following is true:
1) you’re super into Golarion as a setting and want that stuff for it.
2) you want to play in organized PFS play and use rules from those splats
3) you just feel like giving Paizo money to encourage them to print more stuff.

All good and fine reasons, just know what you’re doing. And regardless, use Nethys to flip through the stuff to find out what books you want to grab. I.e. go read the magus and swashbuckler classes etc. and if you like either grab secrets of Magic or the APG respectively.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Buying books is also good because it helps support the company whose game you are playing. Paizo also does smaller 20 dollar versions of a lot of the core books, which is handy. I am planning a Starfinder campaign and picked up a few lil cores so my players can have the rules without having to buy the full on corebook if they don't want.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

M. Night Skymall posted:

Just to be clear, Roll20 still can't do that. The answer was "Actually, the player doesn't need to do secret rolls, the GM should secretly roll them for the player every time." The player cannot roll a Die and show it to the GM without seeing the result.

Install the Pathfinder 2e Utilities API script and they can.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

hyphz posted:

Install the Pathfinder 2e Utilities API script and they can.

As far as I can tell all it does is add the ability for the GM to make a macro to do it instead of having to click the character's sheet, if the player does the !pfs command it would show to the player and GM. The rest of it is pretty neat though, but also requires the $10/month pro sub to use.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

risky surgery on people during combat.

Risky Surgery modifies Treat Wounds, which is an exploration activity that takes 10 minutes. Unless you are homebrewing, it can't be used in combat.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toshimo posted:

Risky Surgery modifies Treat Wounds, which is an exploration activity that takes 10 minutes. Unless you are homebrewing, it can't be used in combat.

To clarify, the common misconception that I assume is happening here is that Battle Medicine allows you to Treat Wounds in combat.

The reality is that Battle Medicine is a distinct action that is almost but not exactly the same as treat wounds, (to the point where most of it's rules text is just "as Treat Wounds"), but it is explicitly not Treat Wounds for the exact purpose of preventing interactions like this with other feats and abilities that interact with Treat Wounds.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dam. I guess that's why i have to read the rules.

Gonna pick up the core book since and maybe the new magic one, since I eventually want to do a magic hero of some kind.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My character technically died last session. We were dumb and kept exploring the dungeon we're in despite the cleric being out of spell slots. We fought some corpselights and my character went down a bunch, I ended up with Wounded 3 and 5hp at the end of the fight. So we're patching ourselves up and the cleric critically fails the treat wounds check on me and rolls exactly 5 on the d8. I thought my friend playing the cleric was going to melt down over killing me.

We're level one though and my GM thinks it would be bullshit if I lost my character so early so we hand-waved that away but that was a wild sequence of events.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

My character technically died last session. We were dumb and kept exploring the dungeon we're in despite the cleric being out of spell slots. We fought some corpselights and my character went down a bunch, I ended up with Wounded 3 and 5hp at the end of the fight. So we're patching ourselves up and the cleric critically fails the treat wounds check on me and rolls exactly 5 on the d8. I thought my friend playing the cleric was going to melt down over killing me.

We're level one though and my GM thinks it would be bullshit if I lost my character so early so we hand-waved that away but that was a wild sequence of events.

Just as a heads-up, I don't know if your group is using Hero Points, but they are a built-in safeguard in the system and are expected to be handed out liberally.

In this case, you would have just been able to burn your stack of Hero Points to avoid death and stabilize at 0. If you had used yours, your friend could have used theirs to reroll the check.

If you aren't using them currently, consider mentioning it to your DM.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 12, 2021

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alternatively the cleric could use one to reroll the crit fail, although killing your friend in a badly botched attempt to heal him is a solid way to start your career.

Hero points are weird, in practice my players basically never use them because they're holding them to avert death, and I think I've only had someone actually use one a handful of times in hundreds of encounters. The only PC death I've had so far was from a death effect which you can't hero point away, although he could have used one to avoid crit failing the save in the first place, but didn't. I think we realized he could have done that after the sequence of events was over and he was dead, so he retroactively hero pointed and would have made the save preventing his death and we probably would have felt fine retconning it, but he didn't like his character, so we had the cleric use the lab they were in to bring him back as a flesh warped monstrosity with a new class. Went from swashbuckler to monk and he's way happier now.

Is anyone getting more use out of them than "Smash glass in case of death?"

ETA: It's probably my fault since I forget to hand them out, just start them off with 1 each session. Maybe I should just start them off with 2 so they'd be willing to use the first one on a reroll.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 12, 2021

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Toshimo posted:

Just as a heads-up, I don't know if your group is using Hero Points, but they are a built-in safeguard in the system and are expected to be handed out liberally.

In this case, you would have just been able to burn your stack of Hero Points to avoid death and stabilize at 0. If you had used yours, your friend could have used theirs to reroll the check.

If you aren't using them currently, consider mentioning it to your DM.

We use hero points but my friend who is the gm always forget to give out more during the session and the cleric and I had both used ours during the fight itself. I can't get mad at the GM cause i forget too when I'm in the driver's seat.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Alternatively the cleric could use one to reroll the crit fail, although killing your friend in a badly botched attempt to heal him is a solid way to start your career.

Hero points are weird, in practice my players basically never use them because they're holding them to avert death, and I think I've only had someone actually use one a handful of times in hundreds of encounters. The only PC death I've had so far was from a death effect which you can't hero point away, although he could have used one to avoid crit failing the save in the first place, but didn't. I think we realized he could have done that after the sequence of events was over and he was dead, so he retroactively hero pointed and would have made the save preventing his death and we probably would have felt fine retconning it, but he didn't like his character, so we had the cleric use the lab they were in to bring him back as a flesh warped monstrosity with a new class. Went from swashbuckler to monk and he's way happier now.

ETA: It's probably my fault since I forget to hand them out, just start them off with 1 each session. Maybe I should just start them off with 2 so they'd be willing to use the first one on a reroll.

We tend to save/forget about our hero points till late in the session and then everyone uses them on rerolls since we know we'll start off next session with more. No one had ever gotten above Wounded 1 before in this game so this was a wild occurrence.

I will say level one loving sucks so much rear end and I will never start a game at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

M. Night Skymall posted:

My current table sees about one per session, usually on a skill check that feels like “if this gets failed we’re going to spend the next half hour dicking around trying to find an alternate solution, please let this reroll work”.

Occasionally this is the result of a GM reminder because they are just as invested in having that happen as the rest of us.