Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I think a lot of people who were on the Vic side literally thought Mr Beard was gonna walk in, give them the old razzle dazzle, like in the movies, and win the greatest win ever in legal proceedings, because a lot of them don't realize the american legal system isn't really designed around extremely rapid action. poo poo isn't Phoenix Wright were you have three days from court filing to either win or lose.

This is just a big problem in general, on all sides: people's main experience with the justice system is movies and TV where everything is neatly tied up and dealt with in maybe a few days. So then, when they encounter the real system, where things drag on for months at minimum, they feel like nothing's happening.

Granted, sometimes that's because one party is legit trying to put things off until the other runs out of legal fees, but usually it's just "Doing this poo poo right takes time and also everyone involved has a million other similar cases to deal with and it's all herding cats." It's kind of a miracle things go as smoothly as they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so on the one hand, the flesh and blood tournament seems to be a big success. on the other hand....

i don't think many of the players will survive the outbreak

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

so on the one hand, the flesh and blood tournament seems to be a big success. on the other hand....

Which super-spr.. I mean con is this?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
"the calling vegas", the first of the flesh and blood mega tournaments. think gp vegas but during covid

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh! Literally "Flesh and Blood" the game! :doh:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Puppy Time posted:

This is just a big problem in general, on all sides: people's main experience with the justice system is movies and TV where everything is neatly tied up and dealt with in maybe a few days. So then, when they encounter the real system, where things drag on for months at minimum, they feel like nothing's happening.

Granted, sometimes that's because one party is legit trying to put things off until the other runs out of legal fees, but usually it's just "Doing this poo poo right takes time and also everyone involved has a million other similar cases to deal with and it's all herding cats." It's kind of a miracle things go as smoothly as they do.

Sometimes it leads to funny results. Quantic Dream's attempts to sue people into not reporting their horrible workplace environment ended up not working so good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Seeing this, I was wondering: "What were the event attendance requirements?" If everyone had to show proof of vaccination, I'd feel differently than if they had not, even if they required masks. BGG Con is going through a bit of this too, as they require you to sign a napkin that says, "I pinky swear I've been vaxxed or have a negative test but will not prove it."

According to this: https://www.fabevents.gg/safety: They require masks, have sanitation protocols, etc but nothing there regarding vaccines, tests or anything else to bar entry. They also say they are spacing people out, and it looks less crowded than some PAX's I've seen, but it looks like people are still within arm's reach of each other.

Here's hoping it's not a catastrophe. I certainly would have stayed home.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Nuns with Guns posted:

And legal stuff around The Quartering and Nick Rekeita are/were pretty popular for a while. Nick Rekeita was Vic Mignogna's lawyer for those stupid SLAPP cases Vic was sending out after the decades of quiet rumors about him being a sex creep finally came to a head. You could go dig through people laughing at all the dumb bullshit around that case if you want to laugh at legal messes for a while. It's not exactly hard to be aware of details around that stuff.
Can I ask who the gently caress is Nick Rekeita? I know it was Ty Beard but I keep on hearing that dpishit's name all the time.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 11, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MadScientistWorking posted:

Can I ask who the gently caress is Nick Rekeita? I know it was Ty Beard but I keep on hearing that dpishit's name all the time.

Nick Rekeita is a strip mall lawyer who decided to hitch his train to the people who mine right-wing outrage at pop culture because he saw he could make money as their "legal expert" ignoring the fact that passing the Minnesota bar and paying the appropriate fees does indeed make you a lawyer but not any kind of expert on anything but you do have access to a lot of terminology that makes you appear very smart indeed. Naturally he comes from money with at least some of his financial affairs handled by Ty Beard's firm in Texas, and started the GoFundMe for Vic Mignogna's legal defense fund without asking Vic but setting up Beard's firm to prosecute it in an amazingly transparent display of collusion. While Nick does practice law clearly it is not often as mostly he spends his time doing livestreams on YouTube where you do that thing of paying $20 so he'll read your comment out loud and being angry on Twitter

There are also photos of Nick in blackface, so that's nice.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Ironic that players being made of flesh and blood is a bad thing during a pandemic

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Nick Rekeita is a strip mall lawyer who decided to hitch his train to the people who mine right-wing outrage at pop culture because he saw he could make money as their "legal expert" ignoring the fact that passing the Minnesota bar and paying the appropriate fees does indeed make you a lawyer but not any kind of expert on anything but you do have access to a lot of terminology that makes you appear very smart indeed. Naturally he comes from money with at least some of his financial affairs handled by Ty Beard's firm in Texas, and started the GoFundMe for Vic Mignogna's legal defense fund without asking Vic but setting up Beard's firm to prosecute it in an amazingly transparent display of collusion. While Nick does practice law clearly it is not often as mostly he spends his time doing livestreams on YouTube where you do that thing of paying $20 so he'll read your comment out loud and being angry on Twitter

Yeah to add onto this "being a lawyer" doesn't mean you're a super expert that can flawlessly predict the outcome of a case or anything. Most lawyers worth their salt won't (publicly) poo poo on a case unless it's extremely dumb, like that guy in toronto who sued a bunch of anonymous posters for defamation of character with zero idea of who they were and no ability to collect damages of any kind. Basically dropped 15k in Lawyers fees to have a judge rule that he wasn't a loser in official court documents.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah to add onto this "being a lawyer" doesn't mean you're a super expert that can flawlessly predict the outcome of a case or anything. Most lawyers worth their salt won't (publicly) poo poo on a case unless it's extremely dumb, like that guy in toronto who sued a bunch of anonymous posters for defamation of character with zero idea of who they were and no ability to collect damages of any kind. Basically dropped 15k in Lawyers fees to have a judge rule that he wasn't a loser in official court documents.

Smart plaintiffs sometimes do this so as to have a official court judgment they can use for other things. They will never collect on the damages, but they can take that judgment to e.g. Google and use it to demand they delist embarrassing search results, get tweets they don't like deleted, blogs and news articles taken down, and so on. Handy if you just want to shut someone up or remove an awkward allegation.

I don't know if that is what this guy was doing, but that tactic can be quite effective. That guy has an official document saying "calling me a loser is defamatory", and that can be weaponised if he knows what he's doing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Especially for a Canadian. Canada uses a variant of the Commonwealth defamation laws, where the plaintiff does not have to prove damages, malice, or even that the statement was false. All burden of proof is on the defendant, and they are considered liable unless and until proven innocent.

Huge opportunites for legal harassment there, as a certain former RPG writer who is pursuing defamation claims against his ex knows full well and is happy to use his trust fund to support.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

For those who want to know more, ALAB has a really good rundown of how weird that whole situation was:

https://www.alabseries.com/episodes/episode-4-weeb-wars-pt-1

https://www.alabseries.com/episodes/episode-5-weeb-wars-pt-2

This is a very fun listen for just how ridiculouly, comically inept the whole thing was.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Loxbourne posted:

Smart plaintiffs sometimes do this so as to have a official court judgment they can use for other things. They will never collect on the damages, but they can take that judgment to e.g. Google and use it to demand they delist embarrassing search results, get tweets they don't like deleted, blogs and news articles taken down, and so on. Handy if you just want to shut someone up or remove an awkward allegation.

I don't know if that is what this guy was doing, but that tactic can be quite effective. That guy has an official document saying "calling me a loser is defamatory", and that can be weaponised if he knows what he's doing.

Oh.

Well, gently caress.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Dawgstar posted:

I discovered Nick going on a weird Youtube hole about the Maddox lawsuits a few years back. He seemed like a funny guy explaining court proceedings and everything Maddox's lawyer was doing wrong. But when I looked at his other videos, he'd have 2~4 hour long streams defending Comicsgate, the Quartering, and just beginning to talk to Vic at the time (also surprise, he's a Warhammer "Lore nerd". Read: Imperium fanatic). In his short-form videos, he was decent at keeping his political feelings under wraps and cloaking it in free-speech arguments, but in any stream or just longer video, he would get incredibly vocal about radical feminists, cancel mobs, etc. And... looking at his content now, he's gone total political commentary, alongside his internet lawsuit commentary. The Vic lawsuit always seemed super shaky, like the thing an internet lawyer would be making fun of, not propagating; but seeing all the details of his involvement behind the case makes it really despicable.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 13, 2021

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1437545371245424640?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Features the phrase "in debt to the mob."

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

:munch:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*pulls up a seat*

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
You know the annoying part is that its just vague enough I can't tell what she is talking about even though I feel like I should. Like what does she mean when she says," What happened to Organized Play Team?" Is she referring to the fact that they tend to gut that team at a moment's notice for other parts of Paizo? Is she referring to active sabotage by management like I've seen people worry about? Did they get harassed which was a distinct possibility given what I've seen? Is she referring to Tonya?

Also, for the record Tonya was the person I was complaining about for the past three years. For the record the reason why I was always wishy washy was the weird kind of floating sentiment from Paizo freelancers that if you would cause the company trouble in regards to reporting harassment you could just be dropped from the freelance pool. And I didn't want someone to cause them to loose a source of income because well I decided to kool aide man myself into a situation.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Well this could be fun

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More tomorrow apparently:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1437592971097038848

:suspense:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Well hopefully it's more substantial than mr Smith's """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""expose"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" on V5's development.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Well hopefully it's more substantial than mr Smith's """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""expose"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" on V5's development.

The hell? I assume you mean He Who Shits His Pants and Vampire 5? When the hell did his dumb everything get involved?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He exposed the crimes of disgraced forums user Ettin in aiding and abetting the Chechnyan regime

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

You know the annoying part is that its just vague enough I can't tell what she is talking about even though I feel like I should.

drat I wonder what that must be like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

The hell? I assume you mean He Who Shits His Pants and Vampire 5? When the hell did his dumb everything get involved?

Swedracula had him do a visual novel back when. Part of Zak's "expose" alleges he also wrote the entire edition in collaboration with Swedracula, Hite, and others, but it got cancelled and rewritten because Zak became too radioactive a public figure to be associated with.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You know the annoying part is that its just vague enough I can't tell what she is talking about even though I feel like I should. Like what does she mean when she says," What happened to Organized Play Team?" Is she referring to the fact that they tend to gut that team at a moment's notice for other parts of Paizo? Is she referring to active sabotage by management like I've seen people worry about? Did they get harassed which was a distinct possibility given what I've seen? Is she referring to Tonya?

Also, for the record Tonya was the person I was complaining about for the past three years. For the record the reason why I was always wishy washy was the weird kind of floating sentiment from Paizo freelancers that if you would cause the company trouble in regards to reporting harassment you could just be dropped from the freelance pool. And I didn't want someone to cause them to loose a source of income because well I decided to kool aide man myself into a situation.

Apparently so:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1437553501245222913

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arivia posted:

Swedracula had him do a visual novel back when. Part of Zak's "expose" alleges he also wrote the entire edition in collaboration with Swedracula, Hite, and others, but it got cancelled and rewritten because Zak became too radioactive a public figure to be associated with.

He didn't become too radioactive! He's a poor victim being preyed upon by the enemies of all mankind, Ettin, Olivia and their horde of twitter trolls. That's it, certainly nothing he ever said or did.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 14, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean it's pretty clear that Martin Ericcsson never found Zak too "radioactive" to work with given at one point they made some sort of blogpost about how they'd heard claims that Zak was a toxic individual and decided they were all spurious, though I'm not even sure that site is even still around which helps muddy the waters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kai Tave posted:

I mean it's pretty clear that Martin Ericcsson never found Zak too "radioactive" to work with given at one point they made some sort of blogpost about how they'd heard claims that Zak was a toxic individual and decided they were all spurious, though I'm not even sure that site is even still around which helps muddy the waters.

They deleted the blogpost anyways after they cut ties with Zak, i remember that I grabbed a copy from the internet archive and posted it in this thread back when he was being Me too'd but I can't remember when and I have.. several pages worth of posts in this thread.
e: Here

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 14, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

They deleted the blogpost anyways after they cut ties with Zak, i remember that I grabbed a copy from the internet archive and posted it in this thread back when he was being Me too'd but I can't remember when and I have.. several pages worth of posts in this thread.

A lot of that stuff kept getting deleted which makes gathering the receipts a pain in the rear end, I recall there being another post they made crowing about the fiction anthology Ericsson reprinted and added a story too which was bad both because Ericson's story was singularly terrible (the phrase "full rear end-rape stiffness" was involved) and also because the anthology had been, I think, edited and written for by a sex pest.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Kai Tave posted:

A lot of that stuff kept getting deleted which makes gathering the receipts a pain in the rear end, I recall there being another post they made crowing about the fiction anthology Ericsson reprinted and added a story too which was bad both because Ericson's story was singularly terrible (the phrase "full rear end-rape stiffness" was involved) and also because the anthology had been, I think, edited and written for by a sex pest.

Not just a sex pest, an actual convicted child molester. Edward E. Kramer, a man whose sole contribution to the earth remains ensuring that Michael Richards is never more than "the second-worst Kramer."

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

GimpInBlack posted:

Not just a sex pest, an actual convicted child molester. Edward E. Kramer, a man whose sole contribution to the earth remains ensuring that Michael Richards is never more than "the second-worst Kramer."

I'd never seen that incident until just now, and the buzz around the school when it happened was he told an edgy joke. He literally just calls an audience member the slur and then shuffles off the stage. The dude got an insane amount of protection there good lord

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Is it normal to make a "more to come" tweet like this? I've never seen it before. I mean what's the point of it, build up the hype?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is it normal to make a "more to come" tweet like this? I've never seen it before. I mean what's the point of it, build up the hype?

Yes.

I don't mean to imply that Price is of the same caliber as the people who made twitter threads about "tick tock Trump, the Russian collusion walls are closing in", but that's maybe the most visible example of this sort of thing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes.

I don't mean to imply that Price is of the same caliber as the people who made twitter threads about "tick tock Trump, the Russian collusion walls are closing in", but that's maybe the most visible example of this sort of thing.

This is pretty out of character for her, she didn't do this for Mentzer, Microsoft(?) and one other place. So there's either just way too loving much to do and she's legit just tired, or it's a hype game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spoilers: the past week or so has been very busy for her.

Because y’know it was Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is coming up in mere days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This is pretty out of character for her, she didn't do this for Mentzer, Microsoft(?) and one other place. So there's either just way too loving much to do and she's legit just tired, or it's a hype game.

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1437592971097038848