Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

How peat heavy are we talking? Johnnie Walker Black is probably one of the cheapest bottles you'll find themed around peat, but it's not super heavily peated by any means. Laphroaig 10 is maybe the best value for a peaty single malt, but that will obviously cost you quite a bit more than a peaty blended Scotch.

Doesn't have to be some monster peat bomb, just noticeably smoky.

I might just get a bottle of Ardbeg or Laphroaig and use it 1/4oz at a time for the rest of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
JW Black or Black Grouse are probably the best bet for less expensive peat/smoke

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Any suggestions on a cheap peat heavy scotch? I don't like drinking em neat, but I love me a penicillin and that needs a nice smoky float on top.

I wouldn't mess with JW black or Black Grouse or similar, not knocking Deceptive Thinker's suggestion, they're nice enough whiskies but if you want some real peat punch here's some single malts that pack a whallop, roughly in order of quality (good to okay):

Scarabus
Finlaggan
The Ileach

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 30, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I wouldn't mess with JW black or Black Grouse or similar, not knocking Deceptive Thinker's suggestion, they're nice enough whiskies but if you want some real peat punch here's some single malts that pack a whallop, roughly in order of quality (good to okay):

Scarabus
Finlaggan
The Ileach

I was going to say good luck finding any of these in the US, but apparently my local Total Wine actually has Scarabus for $35, which is just a bit cheaper than Laphroaig. Interesting!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Some other suggestions for blends:

The Six Isles (probably the weakest peat out of the lineup)
MacNair's Lum Reek
Compass Box Peat Monster
Douglas Laing Big Peat

Now some of these might not be available to you, or they might cost more than a Laphroaig or Ardbeg, but hey you might get a good deal. International availability and pricing is hard.

Another thing to look for might be supermarket blends. I know Aldi has a peated single malt. Perhaps Costco does too in their Kirkland line.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Vox Nihili posted:

I was going to say good luck finding any of these in the US, but apparently my local Total Wine actually has Scarabus for $35, which is just a bit cheaper than Laphroaig. Interesting!

I seem to recall seeing Finlaggan around my area (NE Indiana) in the past, but maybe it's just me.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
For cheaper Penicillins you want Compass Box Artist's Blend and Glasgow Blend, they're designed to mimic Asyla and Peat Monster at a cheaper price point, which were the original scotches for the drink when it was created in the 00s.

That said, of course whatever blended you like normally works for the body of the drink, and you might as well just get a standard big-name Islay for the peat float, because even if it's $50 it'll make you literally 100 Penicillins if you only use it for that, so it's only costing you $.50 additional per drink.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.

Meaty Ore posted:

I seem to recall seeing Finlaggan around my area (NE Indiana) in the past, but maybe it's just me.

Finlaggan used to be available at Trader Joe's in California and was well worth the $20 or so it cost. If it's getting close to Laphroaig/Ardbeg price I wouldn't bother though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Cracked a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel that I randomly found at a shop in my neighborhood last week for a really good deal. It’s been years since I had this and it’s outstanding. What a whisky.

Edit, to provide any content: if you like big, strong, sweet American whiskeys, and also a nice, sherried scotch with a touch of smoke, why not both at once?

Double edit: I don’t even care that it doesn’t fit into the new Japanese whisky law.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 2, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nikka from the barrel is a solid blend, and they should just put that on the label and it'd be fine.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Nikka from the barrel is a solid blend, and they should just put that on the label and it'd be fine.

They effectively put it on their website for what it's worth. And yeah, it's still one of their better products.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Back when you could get a bottle for like $45 that was one of the best bargains in whiskey. Still love the stuff.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've come to the conclusion that Eagle Rare for <$35 is just...not going to happen anymore. IF I can even find it. Hell Buffalo Trace tastes similar (obviously) but rougher and it's now running at $35+ if you find it on the shelf.

I feel like I need to reset. What's everyone's favorite sipping bourbon for ~$30, easy to find, in the 80-90 proof range. I love barrel strength too but, honestly, sometimes it sneaks up on me when I don't need that much booze.

Like - what is your go-to, not a special occasion, sipping bourbon. Not for mixing. (Also I know Wild Turkey will be mentioned. For whatever reason, my local stores don't carry any WT product, including Russell. It's weird - maybe a distributor thing?)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Four Roses Small Batch is a really solid one by my books; Balcones Baby Blue is around there and also delicious but a bit less conventional.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Eagle Rare for <$35 is just...not going to happen anymore. IF I can even find it. Hell Buffalo Trace tastes similar (obviously) but rougher and it's now running at $35+ if you find it on the shelf.

I feel like I need to reset. What's everyone's favorite sipping bourbon for ~$30, easy to find, in the 80-90 proof range. I love barrel strength too but, honestly, sometimes it sneaks up on me when I don't need that much booze.

Like - what is your go-to, not a special occasion, sipping bourbon. Not for mixing. (Also I know Wild Turkey will be mentioned. For whatever reason, my local stores don't carry any WT product, including Russell. It's weird - maybe a distributor thing?)

Around $30-40 I like Four Roses single/small batch, 1792 Full Proof, Yellowstone Select, and Knob Creek 120 proof. I think these all clock in at over the 90 proof you mentioned, but all three sip pretty smooth imo.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Bowman Brothers Small Batch, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Evan Williams 1783, 1792 Small Batch

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lowness 72 posted:

I had the same problem and was surprised to discover how much I liked Knob Creek 9 year.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
My real answer here is WT as you said, but I wouldn’t be mad at an OGD BIB or 114.

I know you said you don’t want overproof, but add a little water yourself (like 10-25% as much as your whiskey) and boom, you now have an 80-90 proof whiskey in your glass. So if you’re drinking 2oz pours and you have something up in the 114 range, do 1.5oz and a tablespoon of water. Or if you’ve got a bonded, do like 1.75 and a half tablespoon.

The higher proof stuff is so much better (especially value wise if you’re stretching it like that) that it’s counterproductive to limit yourself to low-proof bottles, I think.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 7, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

My overpriced little local bottle shop still has Eagle Rare for $33. Just saw a few bottles there today. The distribution disparities are wild.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Facebook grapevine says Heaven Hill workers went on strike at midnight last night and a picket line is forming outside of their new Bardstown facility - apparently other distilleries are to follow?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Facebook grapevine says Heaven Hill workers went on strike at midnight last night and a picket line is forming outside of their new Bardstown facility - apparently other distilleries are to follow?

What's the issue at hand?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Klungar posted:

What's the issue at hand?

Fair compensation, in light of them spending millions on a new facility but not increasing wages

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

https://whiskeyraiders.com/article/breaking-news-heaven-hill-workers-go-on-strike-over-labor-contract-disputes/

"96.1% of the Union employees voting no on the proposed contract"

Pretty wild. Pay them!!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Lowness 72 posted:

To avoid things other people have said:

Dickel's new Bourbon isn't bad for that price since the BIB is now up to $50.
Larceny is really good especially if you can get a barrel pick.
Old Forester 100
Smoke Wagon Select
Russel's Small Batch
Basil Hayden

If you wanted to do a Rye instead, High West Double Rye is right at that price point and fantastic.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Also good point on barrel proof watered down. Usually I just add some ice and let it melt but if I drink too fast that doesn't work so I should just straight up add the water instead.

Much appreciated!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m in NYC until Sunday night, staying in midtown Manhattan. Any shops I should check out? I’m taking Amtrak back home so I can buy a bunch of poo poo.

At Flatiron room right now. Tried Glenfarclas 17 for the first time, A+.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Park Ave Liquor is the place to start, I'd say.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Bourbon allocation is so weird across the country. I read a lot that people are having a hard time finding Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace and my local grocery store has a ton of them. On the flip side, I can't find Weller SR or 12 without a stupid markup and I see pictures of cases of the stuff at *their* grocery store. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a Goon trading group for bourbon considering there is one for beer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Park Ave Liquor is the place to start, I'd say.
Nooo they’re closed until Monday. :cry: I should’ve asked yesterday.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Bourbon allocation is so weird across the country. I read a lot that people are having a hard time finding Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace and my local grocery store has a ton of them. On the flip side, I can't find Weller SR or 12 without a stupid markup and I see pictures of cases of the stuff at *their* grocery store. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a Goon trading group for bourbon considering there is one for beer.

No one is finding cases of Weller 12 on the shelf for MSRP
Antique maybe, but that's limited to Ohio generally
Why SR still has shortages and people pay more than $20 for it makes no sense (I've seen people excited to get it for $60) especially when states like Ohio and Texas get it in bulk, and considering it's also bottom shelf bar well bourbon

The eagle rare thing is also puzzling to me because I both see people locally excited to find it for $45, but also know that when a barrel comes in at one of my stores (and that's usually twice a year per store), I can grab that store pick off the shelf for $33, should I please, and it will be on that shelf at least a week
The same stores also ping me when they get their rarer picks like Blanton's, WFP, and Four Roses - but that's limited to a small group of customers and they're gone in a day

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

obi_ant posted:

I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a Goon trading group for bourbon considering there is one for beer.

Considering I live in one of the Dark Ages states when it comes to online out-of-state ordering, I'd be up for it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

obi_ant posted:

I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a Goon trading group for bourbon considering there is one for beer.

Got a link to this?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
They used to be common, but near as I can tell Buffalo Trace distillery products don't exist in the Nashville area now. It's crazy to me that Eagle Rare is gas station liquor anywhere lol.

Then again it's also crazy to me that people massively overpay for anything coming out of BT. Maybe I'm not enough of a connesur but Eagle Rare was just... nice bourbon, and there's lots of other nice bourbon you can drink instead.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Josh Lyman posted:

Nooo they’re closed until Monday. :cry: I should’ve asked yesterday.

Astor spirits is pretty great.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Lowness 72 posted:

Of all things that is really cheap and honestly unexpectedly decent, Evan Williams Single Barrel is under 30$ and great for sipping. At ~45$ a bottle, the New Riff single barrels have been pretty fantastic as well. 10 year tin cup is another easy to find bottle and pretty good one for drinking under 50$. Also under 50, I just picked up a few bottles of Ezra Brookes Distiller's Collection that I'm also really excited about. Their 7 year is one of my favorite bottles and the color on their single barrel looks very promising.

Lawlicaust posted:

If you wanted to do a Rye instead, High West Double Rye is right at that price point and fantastic.

I was just out in Colorado and picked up some of these! The clerk was really enthusiastic about it so I grabbed a second bottle since I don't really see that here out east. Very excited to try that out!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm a big fan of High West. I just opened a bottle of the Rendezvous Rye and goddamn it's a trip. It's super herbal and floral up front and I don't taste that super often in rye/bourbon. Their yearly Midwinter Night's Dram is the one bottle I really try to seek out.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

sean10mm posted:

They used to be common, but near as I can tell Buffalo Trace distillery products don't exist in the Nashville area now. It's crazy to me that Eagle Rare is gas station liquor anywhere lol.

But BT is apparently all over Memphis. My buddy there finds BT, Eagle Rare, and Weller all the time. On the shelf.

It’s also cheaper. Buffalo Trace is $25 a bottle there. I found ONE bottle in Williamson County for $40.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
A supermarket in a small town near me seems to always have Buffalo Trace on the shelf for $27.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Someone in one of my groups posted a shelf full of eagle rare at Walmart for $25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Honestly the weirdest thing for me out in NY is the lack of Wild Turkey. Like you'd expect to see it everywhere but it's just not at any of the liquor stores I frequent. The entire distillery's lineup! No WT, WT 101, Russel. Nothing!