Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You cannot order a '21 anymore. Have to find whatever inventory is left around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

I’m gonna call my local dealer today and see if I can order a 21. Getting the last car in a generation doesn’t bug me if my other option is, well, that.

that back bumper really is like a baboon’s rear end

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:yosbutt:

It's like they're taking the "Subaru isn't weird enough anymore" feedback and reading it as "ugly car pls"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's like they're taking the "Subaru isn't weird enough anymore" feedback and reading it as "ugly car pls"

that only works if it’s a wagon or hatch

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
lol

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

large hands posted:

drat thats approaching civic type R fugly levels, and I don't say that lightly

I think the Type R looks cool. :colbert: The rear end on this is too much. I think they were maybe going for a cool big diffuser look but that's expensive and probably bad for safety regs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The dark grey helps the look a lot. It’s still wild how Aztec they went with the plastic.

Kinda making me eye a Golf R instead.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The base model will still be a fantastic winter car because of the rare AWD+MT combination in a sedan, but… definitely disappointing so far. Maybe once we get reviewers driving it we’ll find that the driving experience has been vastly improved somehow.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All that plastic is going to fade and just look terrible.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rolo posted:

It’s still wild how Aztec they went with the plastic.

Do you not remember the Baja? Half of it was painted plastic cladding.

That tailgate was serious though, heavier than any half ton truck tailgate at the time.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CTvGkgNL515/?utm_medium=copy_link

:lol:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
“Not gonna miss your turn with that screen” rofl.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Subaru: has dark grey plastic trim every year, every model

This thread: THAT IS GONNA LOOK LIKE poo poo

Put ceramic on it every few years, it'll be fine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s not only the fact that the plastic is there for me, it’s the weird angles on the wheel arches and insane rear bumper shape.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wasabi the J posted:

Subaru: has dark grey plastic trim every year, every model

This thread: THAT IS GONNA LOOK LIKE poo poo

Yeah nah, Subaru doesnt do that. At least they could have painted it instead of low rent

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
New ascent "owner" checking in. Work wanted to give me a new car, so I ordered an ascent because of all of the commuter friendly stuff it has with the adaptive cruise control and all that. Just got it Friday. I have the first Subaru in the fleet.

E:. I also ordered it because I'm considering getting an outback for my kid when she turns 16.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Rolo posted:

The dark grey helps the look a lot. It’s still wild how Aztec they went with the plastic.

Kinda making me eye a Golf R instead.

That front wheel overhang goes for miles
yuck

both overhangs go for far too long.
loving car manufacturers should just move the foot-print so far in board that the bean counters can calculate the most profitable solution of crumple zone and safety. Because that is clearly the point we are at.

Drivablity and fun are now abstracts. Fun is a marketing thing, drivablity is how many computers we can stuff in. CVT is our god.

Yaris GR protect me

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 13, 2021

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I thought the 07 hatch subaru lost me, but in reality it was the last rex I would own. Maybe if they werent loving assholes and made the levorg a manual option, I could forgive them. Although probably not even then could I forgive them.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m probably just gonna end up with a GTI. I wish I could get A/RWD without springing for the R.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Rolo posted:

I’m probably just gonna end up with a GTI or older 3 series. I wish I could get A/RWD without springing for the R.

I think the GTI is an extremely valid option. R's are so common that GTIs (especially manual) are almost a pleasant surprise. The performance benefit from an R is pretty big, but even then I kind of prefer GTIs. The feel more "raw" or "pure" or whatever other horrible cliched adjective you hate less

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Complaining about subarus having long front overhang is like complaining you get a bit wet pissing into the wind. It's pretty much necessary due to the drivetrain layout since the engine is 100% in front of the front wheels.

The car has plenty of other things to complain about.

In the states, Golf Rs are actually pretty drat rare to run across. Not many people are willing to spend $40k on a Golf.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

OK then I shift my hate to the plastic wheel arches like everyone else.
I will just internalise the hatred of the overhang, which I do not think needs to exist even with a Subaru engine and drivetrain.

edite: re GTIs, maybe this is a rare example of Americans being smarter

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know it’s not the thread so I’ll only post one more thing about the GTI I noticed:

Plaid seats should be an option at every trim level.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I don't think you will find a single dissenting goon

Kind of like how recaros and adaptive dampners should be availbe on a certain Rally Bred car without having to pick CVT

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 13, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

lilbeefer posted:

I don't think you will find a single dissenting goon

Kind of like how recaros and adaptive dampners should be availbe on a certain Rally Bred car without having to pick CVT

Have to save the good stuff for the sti!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

net work error posted:

Have to save the good stuff for the sti!

STi = what you get in your mouth from sharing your buddy’s vape

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Will the STI get 6 virtual CVT gears? Imagine if Subaru just said gently caress it and let the CVT work at its peak efficiency/power via SI (sharp) DRIVE
Then the vape boys could get ahold of it and make the droning flat 4 cacophany a meme of its own

(copyright)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

lilbeefer posted:

That front wheel overhang goes for miles
yuck

both overhangs go for far too long.
loving car manufacturers should just move the foot-print so far in board that the bean counters can calculate the most profitable solution of crumple zone and safety. Because that is clearly the point we are at.

Drivablity and fun are now abstracts. Fun is a marketing thing, drivablity is how many computers we can stuff in. CVT is our god.

Yaris GR protect me

I am fairly certain that what you are attributing to "most profitable solution of crumple zone and safety" is in fact an inevitable side effect of Subaru's decades-long boxer engine / AWD configuration, and that those overhangs have been like that basically forever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
STi = that flatbrim your sister met at OASIS two Saturdays ago lied about getting tested for these

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It’s like Subaru got sick of listening to what people wanted when building the new BRZ that they just said gently caress you with the new WRX. Want a turbo crosstrek? Here’s more plastic on the WRX, rear end in a top hat. Don’t like the flaccid shifter and rev hang? Guess you get to buy the CVT, you piece of poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that they were probably spared by not being able to show this off at the New York Auto Show. It probably would have been a stunned silence in the crowd.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I am fairly certain that what you are attributing to "most profitable solution of crumple zone and safety" is in fact an inevitable side effect of Subaru's decades-long boxer engine / AWD configuration, and that those overhangs have been like that basically forever.

Fine. lovely overhangs are an unavoidable part of the AWD north/south set up. They managed to make this tragic requirement work and look good with 4th gen liberties and earlier.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

for comparison

2020 looks more like a souped up Impreza, new gen seems to go for a more muscular rear end look by sliding the cabin back

large hands fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 13, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

subaru banks so much on their rally heritage that i don't understand why they won't pony up some money and put together a fresh motorsports program. WRC ends this year so there's no time like the present to produce a new powerplant and chassis. retire the impreza to the fate of the leone or maybe the legacy, it is well past it's expiration date and so far from it's initial design intent it's basically irrelevant as the rest of the car market has moved on from it. fuji heavy industries absolute go-for-broke intent to beat the delta integrale on the stages with a ground-up design is what produced the impreza, they should explore a hot hatch with a hybrid drivetrain to go toe-to-toe with toyota and hyundai imo.

maybe i'm just hopelessly reminiscing of japanese automakers experimental late-80s and 90s period and it's gone forever :sigh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

It’s like Subaru got sick of listening to what people wanted when building the new BRZ that they just said gently caress you with the new WRX. Want a turbo crosstrek? Here’s more plastic on the WRX, rear end in a top hat. Don’t like the flaccid shifter and rev hang? Guess you get to buy the CVT, you piece of poo poo.

The rev hang is so random on my turbo outback, it’s really weird.

Maybe when the WRX people are stuck with the CVT someone will figure out how to reprogram it to not suck.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They'd just make a Crosstrek with rally parts.

Are there any electric rally cars yet?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They'd just make a Crosstrek with rally parts.

Are there any electric rally cars yet?

the "World Rally Car" era is officially over this year and next year they've mandated hybrid drivetrains

e: full electric is still hard to envisage right now, due to weight and c-of-g issues (which are surmountable) and also their propensity to explode and/or burn in a hard to extinguish way being bad for the crews and also the forests they often find themselves in and hard to avoid for the rough-and-tumble nature of rally

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 13, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the "World Rally Car" era is officially over this year and next year they've mandated hybrid drivetrains

When you say that I just hear 300hp DCT crosstrek

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

subaru banks so much on their rally heritage that i don't understand why they won't pony up some money and put together a fresh motorsports program. WRC ends this year so there's no time like the present to produce a new powerplant and chassis. retire the impreza to the fate of the leone or maybe the legacy, it is well past it's expiration date and so far from it's initial design intent it's basically irrelevant as the rest of the car market has moved on from it. fuji heavy industries absolute go-for-broke intent to beat the delta integrale on the stages with a ground-up design is what produced the impreza, they should explore a hot hatch with a hybrid drivetrain to go toe-to-toe with toyota and hyundai imo.

maybe i'm just hopelessly reminiscing of japanese automakers experimental late-80s and 90s period and it's gone forever :sigh:

They have been throwing some money at motorsports and rallycross in the US but not world rally of course. I think their efforts with getting Block to drive for them again, as well as Pastrana’s Gymkhana video, show they care about young enthusiasts to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

i own every Bionicle posted:

They have been throwing some money at motorsports and rallycross in the US but not world rally of course. I think their efforts with getting Block to drive for them again, as well as Pastrana’s Gymkhana video, show they care about young enthusiasts to some extent.

They're also pretty active in Japan rally but I don't believe they have a "factory" effort there like in the US. Maybe they do?