Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My favorites are Inherent Vice, The Phantom Thread and The Master but I would happily watch any PTA movie.

Criterion has a relationship with Penguin based on their previous pack-in novels, I'd buy a set with a 4K Inherent Vice and a 70s styled paperback of the novel in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DetoxP posted:

How... Do I know you? Yes.

(Yeah, I find people either really like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and There Will be Blood as a block, or they're really into The Master, Phantom Thread, and PDL as a block)

TWWB, The Master, Inherent Vice, and Phantom Thread are all deeply interrelated for me. PDL (good film!) seems to be a dividing point, and I just don't spend much time thinking about his early career.

edit; comparing the soundtrack art for greenwood's scores is fun, too, whereas the films prior to PDL come off as ensembles, the films after PDL carve toward character studies, which the art and music kind of reflect

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 1, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hard Eight is also extremely good and especially as a debut film it's a really impressive achievement. It's exactly the type of film that usually ends up in the Criterion collection, now that I think about it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

IMHO it's his best film by a decent margin.

:hmmyes:

Roth posted:

I watched Mishima last night. This movie feels, stylistically, head and shoulders above just about any other biopic I can think of.

If you like stylistically innovative biopics, you should definitely check out The Color of Pomegranates.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

people like Boogie Nights for the smut

Smut is underrated. We need more smut in our movies.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Smut is underrated. We need more smut in our movies.

spotted Ebert's account

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I watched Quadrophenia

Great music, great scooters, cool fashion, full frontal male nudity, and a fantastic riot sequence. I couldn't understand a loving word anyone said.

I strongly recommend Quadrophenia.

Quadrophenia is a fantastic movie, I love it. It has some of my favorite scenes of crowds dancing in any movie. Multiple minutes-long scenes of people vibing to The Crystals with these big sweeping camera movements between them, it's impossible not to love it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Quadrophenia is a fantastic movie, I love it. It has some of my favorite scenes of crowds dancing in any movie. Multiple minutes-long scenes of people vibing to The Crystals with these big sweeping camera movements between them, it's impossible not to love it.

The party and the riot scenes are all so good, they really capture the feeling of the crowd super well.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

Hard Eight is also extremely good and especially as a debut film it's a really impressive achievement. It's exactly the type of film that usually ends up in the Criterion collection, now that I think about it.

It is in the collection. They released it on laserdisc, as well as Boogie Nights.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

I watched Mishima last night. This movie feels, stylistically, head and shoulders above just about any other biopic I can think of.

Excellent movie but you could argue that it’s not even the best biopic Paul Schroeder wrote the screenplay to (Raging Bull)

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Excellent movie but you could argue that it’s not even the best biopic Paul Schrader wrote the screenplay to (The Last Temptation of Christ)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I always forget Schrader wrote that one somehow

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

As most ITT know, the New York Stories series on the channel is lousy with classics this month, as well as a bunch of things I'm looking forward to seeing, like Downtown 81 and After Hours

https://youtu.be/gQdDtn3agtE

My wife and I used to live right across the river in Jersey City and would go to tons of things in New York before the pandemic, but what I loved most was going to as many screenings at the arthouse theaters as I possibly could. Criterion always kills it with these trailers, but drat if I didn't get a little emotional with this one. I guess it's just a potent mix of going to the city my whole life, being a movie nerd, and being bummed about a lot of the things I've missed over the last two years. I have to imagine a lot of the Criterion staff in New York have been feeling the same way. Feeling both :unsmith: and :smith: from this one

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into the CD E/N thread..

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I watched Bergman's All These Women and it was loving awful, who else has been subjected to this movie?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Some Like It Hot. It's not bad. I liked those dresses that Sugar wore that made it look like she was topless. The ending was great too.

king poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Follow that poo poo up with The Apartment if you’ve never seen it. It’s on the channel now

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Iirc they had to do like 30 takes of Marilyn going "it's me, Sugar!" for her to get it right

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I watched Bergman's All These Women and it was loving awful, who else has been subjected to this movie?
I'm convinced that everyone who claims to love Bergman beyond Seventh Seal is a big fat liar.

I really want to watch Mishima, I was thinking of watching it with my parents but they are hardcore prudes. Is that going to work? (without spoilers please) (yes I know about the incident)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 6, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm convinced that everyone who claims to love Bergman beyond Seventh Seal is a big fat liar.

Smiles of a Summer's Night is good.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Iirc they had to do like 30 takes of Marilyn going "it's me, Sugar!" for her to get it right

I really want to watch Mishima, I was thinking of watching it with my parents but they are hardcore prudes. Is that going to work? (without spoilers please) (yes I know about the incident)

As hardcore prudes, the coup scenes are probably the thing your parents would object the least, as there's nudity, sex scenes, and plenty of latent homosexual desire in the entire film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I actually thought it was amusing because it came off as cinematic shitposting and there's genuinely pretty use of color by Sven Nyquist. The Touch is the only Bergman I thought was flat out awful and I don't have interest in watching again. Can't even say it's a language barrier because I saw interviews with Bergman from a decade prior and he's clearly fluent in English, so I dunno what happened.

It's interesting how he followed up two of his worst films with some of his best - following up All These Women with Persona, then after The Touch he made Cries and Whispers.

I've watched 40 feature films by Bergman, all but one from Criterion's big box, and had only seen four prior to it. While I think a lot of his 1940s/early 50s stuff tends to be forgettable, I would consider him one of my favorite filmmakers now.

Of his early work, I did find To Joy, Waiting Women, and Dreams to be fantastic. Other than All These Women and The Touch, his films from 1957 onwards are consistently good to great. I'm particularly fond of From the Life of Marionettes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bergman is absolutely one of the GOATs for me. When I was at university I had a Woody Allen-level devotion to him

just in case anyone isn’t aware this is a reference to Allen being a huge Bergman fan, not some sort of weird pedo joke

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One film that caught me off guard was Saraband, which deceptively starts off as you'd expect from a seasoned filmmaker making something more sentimental. He gets you into that comfort zone, then rips the carpet under, but still manages to have that level of tenderness that doesn't come off as inauthentic.

For those unfamiliar with Bergman's work outside The Seventh Seal, I'd say Wild Strawberries, Winter Light, Shame, Scenes from a Marriage, and Fanny and Alexander are all extremely accessible. Persona is probably my favorite Bergman film overall, but that may not be the easiest to get into.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my favourites are Scenes, Persona, F&A, and Winter Light, but the only one I’ve seen I wasn’t so hot on was The Silence.

Wild Strawberries and Scenes are my personal recs for good starting points, but any of the others Egbert mentioned would work. Persona was the first Berg I saw funnily enough and I absolutely loved it, but yeah it’s very weird and experimental compared to his other work. Big influence on Mulholland Dr, which is why I watched it in the first place

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm about as diehard as a Bergman fan as you can get (see my avatar). I've seen 61 of his features (including TV movies and televised theatrical productions), 5 of his shorts, and 5 films he wrote but didn't direct. All These Women is at the very bottom of the list. I forced myself to sit through it a second time, couldn't bring myself to watch it again on Blu-Ray (although I did skim it to appreciate the cinematography, which is the only redeeming quality).

My top 30:

1. Fanny and Alexander (miniseries)
2. Scenes from a Marriage (theatrical)
3. Through a Glass Darkly
4. Scenes from a Marriage (miniseries)
5. Shame
6. Winter Light
7. Sawdust and Tinsel
8. Autumn Sonata
9. Smiles of a Summer Night
10. The Silence
11. Wild Strawberries
12. The Virgin Spring
13. Persona
14. The Seventh Seal
15. Saraband
16. Hour of the Wolf
17. Summer with Monika
18. Thirst
19. Cries and Whispers
20. In the Presence of a Clown
21. Brink of Life
22. Fanny and Alexander (theatrical)
23. Dreams
24. Hustruskolan (School for Wives)
25. The Passion of Anna
26. Summer Interlude
27. Spöksonaten (The Ghost Sonata)
28. The Last Gasp
29. Ovader (Storms)
30. The Magician

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

As hardcore prudes, the coup scenes are probably the thing your parents would object the least, as there's nudity, sex scenes, and plenty of latent homosexual desire in the entire film.
Thanks for the heads up about this lol, guess I'm watching it with my partner.

Gripweed posted:

Smiles of a Summer's Night is good.
Honestly I was bored out of my skull by this and turned it off, and I'm the guy who watched kwaidan in one sitting.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Lmao

https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/status/1435224735919579137?s=19

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Filmed and Furious: HK Grift.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Filmed and Furious: HK Grift.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tampopo is really good. Easily my second favorite comedy featuring Ken Watanabe as a truck driver. The segment with the businessmen in the fancy restaurant is the best part

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Tampopo is really good. Easily my second favorite comedy featuring Ken Watanabe as a truck driver. The segment with the businessmen in the fancy restaurant is the best part

Tampopo slaps. It makes me hungry as hell, and who could resist that adorable face. :3:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Definitely has me craving turtle soup!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The ending sucks though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
No Fuckin’ Thanks

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Chris Knight posted:

The ending sucks though.

:hmmyes: The second half also felt weaker. All of the bossing around got old.

Just watched my first WKW. Days of Being Wild. Really loved the cinematography, the smoldering characters, and weirdly enough, even the green tint too!

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 8, 2021

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Isnt the Tampopo ending just a western ending. Town is saved, time to ride off.

Best movie showing gives life, sex, death, and squishys.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Isnt the Tampopo ending just a western ending. Town is saved, time to ride off.

Best movie showing gives life, sex, death, and squishys.
Is joke: the final image is a woman breast feeding a baby :haw:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lol oops. Forgot about that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/b_davey/status/1435672867526610944

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I watched Sunset Boulevard the other night on the channel as many directors cite it as an inspiration. The opening and last 20 minutes were fantastic. But the middle dragged for me quite a bit. Maybe the Norma character was just very effective in being unlikeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

Seitz recalled asking Wilder what he required for the pet chimpanzee's funeral scene. Wilder replied, "you know, just your standard monkey funeral shot."