Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wayne Knight posted:

Enjoy that voice while it lasts, since they're changing it to Elon's voice in a future update.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thank you for your sacrifice :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Zero One posted:

That's a long fence.

It was! The charger was at a service station only accessible from the autoroute, so literally no way to access it other than retrace steps. As this was Italy that meant getting a ticket and paying a small toll for driving on the autoroute for one junction.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I am unable to comprehend why car makers still integrate sat navs in EVs when their main customer base is techbros with at least four devices with gps everywhere they go. Sell a head unit with dab radio and CarPlay/android auto for the same price of a satnav, techbros won’t even notice.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Renault (with the new Megane E-Tech) going the Android Automotive route is very much appreciated. Access to Google Maps, Spotify etc. without having to connect anything. I don't think anyone will miss R-Link.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 11, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

I am unable to comprehend why car makers still integrate sat navs in EVs when their main customer base is techbros with at least four devices with gps everywhere they go. Sell a head unit with dab radio and CarPlay/android auto for the same price of a satnav, techbros won’t even notice.

Inertia. Not having a sat nav would get you roasted in reviews only 10 years ago. And you have to imagine a big CEO type not only having to reckon with bad PR but also acknowledge "we are poo poo, let someone who gives it away for free do it instead". There's also the issue of integration, although this is a minority number of cars. Can the nav tell you if you need to charge or where you should charge? Can it send data to your HUD? The pragmatic tech answer is yes of course, but will a car maker answer it the same way?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say the more important reason is that they see it as a differentiating factor, the reason someone might choose their car over a competitor's. It's also why they're pushing all those weird "personal assistant" features.

The same reasoning why phone manufacturers like putting their own terrible skin over stock Android from Google, to make their product stand out.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah the built in nav does a good job of calculating range and charging stops, the precise location of that Ionity station notwithstanding. Google maps doesn't do that at all at present, I think Apple maps is supposed to but doesn't get that data from my car.

I think for the amount EVs cost I would want it to still have some organic nav capability if I didn't have my phone, or had a dumb phone.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also the satellite navigation lets you GPS track a Tesla remotely as long as the vehicle is still somewhere with cellular service using the app on your phone (also it enables telemetry loggers like teslamate to function).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/freep/status/1436661119737860103?s=21

quote:

On Aug. 5, Smith and his wife, Cyndie, bought a 2022 Bolt EUV — the all-new compact electric SUV — for about $40,000. The couple wanted to be environmentally conscious, plus it was fun to drive and, “I loved the car, it was just wonderful,” Cyndie said.

But on Aug. 20, their new vehicle was part of GM’s recall. Four days later, Smith returned the vehicle to the dealership, hoping to exchange it for a Buick Envision SUV, he said. But the dealership offered them $29,900 for it and the Envision was $39,900, Smith said.

Frustrated, Smith decided rather than park the Bolt on his tree-lined driveway or in his garage, he left the Bolt, with the keys in it, at the dealership and called a taxi to take him home. His first payment for it is approaching and the car remains at the dealership.
I feel bad for Bolt owners.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

I actually looked up what GM is saying to do while people wait for their vehicle to get its battery replaced and like the most restrictive thing is that people should park theirs outside and don't charge it indoors overnight, otherwise their recommendations are just ordinary stuff everyone with an EV should already be doing. Like "set your charge limit to 90%" "charge frequently" "don't deep discharge the battery". They are not saying people should avoid driving it at all, seems like you can use it pretty much normally. I think someone wanting to return the car because GM is eventually going to give them a free new battery is being unreasonable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jesus I'm out of the EV loop and just found out about this car last night.

I just watched that and the race against the Zx14r and busa. Thats crazy.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've thought a lot about replacing my 2015 Leaf with a Bolt (since my vehicle is just sitting in the garage and gets driven once a week while I'm working from home currently anyway). I could easily keep the battery between 30-70% and have equal/better range than my leaf.

I'm just wondering how many years it'll be before they start replacing the battery, and if they'll prioritize the newer model years over the older or what the plan is. I guess now that they've publicly acknowledged the problem isn't fixable by software they'll have to either replace or buy back all of them eventually. Though not sure how that argument flies if you buy it AFTER the recall.

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Wait, there's some people who don't mute the Tesla voice? Weird.

Yeah, it didn't even last a day before I muted that overly informing voice.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I didn't even know there was a voice

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
950km and the only real gripe I have with my ID.3 compared to my KIA is that it nags so much more about "taking control of the steering wheel" if I'm holding it but not the way it like (i.e palm at 9 and 3 or finger closed to a circle). Actually more of a distraction than helpful, especially as I'm pretty much only looking at the HUD now compared to the normal speedo etc as I not have to concentrate on it not being annoyed with me.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SlowBloke posted:

It's funny you say this, because EVs are the first cars where the sat nav needs to be intimately linked to the car. The navigation needs to know the exact model of the car and what specs it has, what is the state of the battery charge and the electricity consumption at all times. With ICE these hardly mattered, gas stations are so plentiful and filling so quick it's pretty much irrelevant whether you visit the pump while the tank is at 10% or 50%. With EVs the charging stations are still relatively few and charging slow enough that you need to optimize if you want to speed up the trip. You want to reach a charger while battery is at maybe 5-10%, and you only want to charge up to 75-85%, enough that you can reach your next charging point. Much easier to use a built in nav than develope the standards for the car to communicate the required information for the cell phone.

Imagine you are using a navigation software that doesn't communicate with the car. First you need to tell it the model of you car and that it has a XX kWh battery and it is now at 75%. You input the destination, but it also needs to know this is a holiday trip so the whole family is packed in and the frunk and trunk are full to the brim. Oh, and there are two mountain bikes on the roof rack so that increases the wind resistance and consumption maybe 50%. And your going to the mountains so the trip is uphill on average, but this the nav software could know by itself. The nav could also check the weather report and find out it's really windy, a 20 km/h headwind most of the way. Or it could just talk with the car and keep track of the battery and consumption.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Sat Nav has maps built in, meaning you will always have a map and location independent of internet access. This is usually not true for other devices; your phone's GPS provides a location but doesn't come with a map or the ability to navigate unless you are connected to the internet somehow or unless you have gone out of your way to download the maps to a region.

To most people this difference is meaningless, you're right. But these decisions are made by old people, and my mom to this day insists that I need to keep a book of maps in my car.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 11, 2021

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know which EVs have this function, but the GPS in my Audi communicates with the cruise control, which enables the car to slow down for curves all on its own. That right there is reason to have nav built in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Any car that can have a SIM card and GPS in it will, regardless of what the customer wants, because it allows manufacturers to do things like sell “anonymized” customer travel logs to data brokerage firms for lots of money

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

Sat Nav has maps built in, meaning you will always have a map and location independent of internet access. This is usually not true for other devices; your phone's GPS provides a location but doesn't come with a map or the ability to navigate unless you are connected to the internet somehow or unless you have gone out of your way to download the maps to a region.

To most people this difference is meaningless, you're right. But these decisions are made by old people, and my mom to this day insists that I need to keep a book of maps in my car.

When I was driving through a state that was mostly on fire in a Tesla the nav did not function because whoever they used for cell data had been knocked out. Fortunately my cell phone did work.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me of the last time I tried Waze; aside of having terrible routing that would make the journey more stressful and take longer, it would display Burger King coupons while driving.

Charles posted:

When I was driving through a state that was mostly on fire in a Tesla the nav did not function because whoever they used for cell data had been knocked out. Fortunately my cell phone did work.

Most in-car systems work completely offline as well, that is an advantage over regular Google Maps. I've been in locations without cell reception where that came in handy.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Pro tip: you can have Google maps pre-download any area you wish.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Charles posted:

Turn off the satellite view which depends on cellular connectivity, the actual plain road map is stored locally.

I occasionally drive out of cellular reception in some areas and it is dumb that it doesn't fall back to the plain map when it can't pull the satellite view.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah google map has had route caching and general area map downloads for years and it works great.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LRADIKAL posted:

Pro tip: you can have Google maps pre-download any area you wish.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah google map has had route caching and general area map downloads for years and it works great.

That doesn't help when you're somewhere without reception and want to drive back, though. Route calculation is online-only with Google Maps.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Indiana_Krom posted:

Turn off the satellite view which depends on cellular connectivity, the actual plain road map is stored locally.

I occasionally drive out of cellular reception in some areas and it is dumb that it doesn't fall back to the plain map when it can't pull the satellite view.

Didn't have that on. It just wouldn't route. It was dependant on the internet. It had a cell signal, just no internet, so maybe that wasn't enough to put it in offline mode.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maps totally work in totally offline mode if you have the area cached. Just tried it, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Their website says it should work, guess I'll have to try again sometime.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Read what I wrote carefully.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's a button that you can use to turn off mobile data if your phone is in that lovely state where it thinks it's connected but can't get anything done. There's also a way to have Google maps only download maps on WiFi.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

I recommend you carefully read this support topic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LRADIKAL posted:

There's a button that you can use to turn off mobile data if your phone is in that lovely state where it thinks it's connected but can't get anything done. There's also a way to have Google maps only download maps on WiFi.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

I recommend you carefully read this support topic.

Are you replying to me? I was talking about a Tesla not working.

Anyway, point is a backup is a good idea to have.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh, sorry! Carry on!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Comparing the AWD ID4 to the AWD Mach E, it's kind of surprising how much less the Volkswagen comes out to in Canada. Usually the Ford is always cheaper than the equivalent VW.
Until you want the light grey interior that is. Then you have to pony up EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS for the "Statement" package which adds nothing I want except the interior colour. It's been so long since I shopped for new cars, I forgot how annoying that poo poo was.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/models/hyundai-ioniq_5-2022-ioniq_5/features

It looks like Hyundai has released the trim levels for the Ioniq 5. No prices yet.
I think the only thing that really bothers me is that heat pumps only come with awd versions.
Can’t wait to see how the Kia trims compare for the EV6.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I guess tying the heat pump to AWD sort of makes sense for cold climates. At least it's available unlike the ID.4.

Putting driver's seat memory behind the highest trim is the biggest gently caress you though (everyone does it not just Hyundai). I'm a foot taller than my wife and it absolutely sucks paying several thousands of dollars for a bunch of cosmetic bullshit I don't care at all about and ten lines of code I want.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Hyundai does that on their petrol cars too, and even when you do get memory it's just two positions. Seems dumb to have power seats and not spend the extra 50c on a couple of extra buttons.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I also stopped at the Tesla dealership and test drove a MYP. I'd driven an LR before but not a P.

The Ford feels faster like 0-30 or 40. I didn't get nearly the "your eyeballs are being flattened against the back of their sockets" feeling from the Tesla as I do with the Ford. But punch it at like 60 and the Tesla literally feels twice as fast. No comparison. I'd love to see a 60 roll race between the two, the Ford would just get destroyed.

Further thoughts on Ford v Tesla:

The Tesla MYP's door handles are utter dogshit. They're just awkward. It's one of Tesla's solutions to a non-existent problem (like their yoke). My 2014 Accord has better door handles. Ford is a thousand miles ahead in this regard. Ford's buttons work great. The "reach behind the door" on the rear doors works great. The little wing on the front door is kinda weird but still works and tbh even if it wasn't there and you just reached into the crevice (like the rear door) it would still work great.

Having an instrument cluster directly in front of you is just better. The Tesla isn't really that bad, it just isn't as good.

Tesla's UI is way better. I found stuff quicker in the Tesla UI than the Ford UI and I use the Ford UI every day.

Tesla's is also way more responsive. Ford's isn't so bad that it's obstructive, most of the time, but it's pretty fuckin slow to respond to button presses and screen changes sometimes.

The Ford's interior is better, in basically all ways. Center console lets me manspread more and has better cubby and phone charger implementation. Materials look and feel higher quality throughout.

Ford loses pretty big points for not having a power steering wheel tilt and telescope.

I think they both lose big points for not having ventilated seats.

The Ford handles better. Significantly. Mine has the magnaride so maybe that's a lot of it or even all of it but the MYP to me felt pretty wallowy and not really well balanced. I'm more of a straight line guy than a handling guy so I don't even really care that much but the disparity feels pretty significant. I don't know about lap times or skidpad Gs or anything I'm just talking about feel.

I think the Ford is better overall even with its trap speed shortcomings. If they aren't addressed though, I don't think it's the car for me. I wanted a car that was economical and AWD and hauls rear end and it's currently not hauling a sufficient amount of rear end.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

I think the Ford is better overall even with its trap speed shortcomings. If they aren't addressed though, I don't think it's the car for me. I wanted a car that was economical and AWD and hauls rear end and it's currently not hauling a sufficient amount of rear end.

You gonna look at the KIA EV6 GT? What I want is them to make an EV Stinger, basically :haw:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dear Watson posted:

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/models/hyundai-ioniq_5-2022-ioniq_5/features

It looks like Hyundai has released the trim levels for the Ioniq 5. No prices yet.
I think the only thing that really bothers me is that heat pumps only come with awd versions.
Can’t wait to see how the Kia trims compare for the EV6.

They need a limited lite with 19" wheels and regular roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

I actually looked up what GM is saying to do while people wait for their vehicle to get its battery replaced and like the most restrictive thing is that people should park theirs outside and don't charge it indoors overnight, otherwise their recommendations are just ordinary stuff everyone with an EV should already be doing. Like "set your charge limit to 90%" "charge frequently" "don't deep discharge the battery". They are not saying people should avoid driving it at all, seems like you can use it pretty much normally. I think someone wanting to return the car because GM is eventually going to give them a free new battery is being unreasonable.

I think having your customers be unable to use the car as sold for however long it takes to replace battery modules is unreasonable. Especially considering how GM feels like they've dragged their heels on the whole battery module replacement thing.

I also think anyone defending GM here can gently caress off with that anti consumer crap. Don't build garbage (yes I know mistakes happen, but batteries catching fire is one that shouldn't) don't try to cut corners with your fix to save money and don't jerk people around with state by state MRSP swaps/buy backs. I have no idea if I'd have any luck trying to get a buyback/msrp swap and that's deliberate so I didn't even try. I don't need a fully functioning car, but others rely on it.

If a park my car outside and I get rodents or damage from trees etc. do you think GM will do anything? Did you know apparently the wiring has a coating that mice like (this might not be exactly right I don't remember the details I'm too lazy to look it up)? My last car had a mouse or maybe rat problem (probably because I left it outside the winter and rarely drove it) and ideally I'd like that to not happen with this one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 12, 2021