Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Best take:
https://twitter.com/AntonJaegermm/status/1436345516841967618

Worst take like seriously this just caused all the sewers to overflow again:
https://twitter.com/ConspiracyBull1/status/1436396556471635996

e: 25 is the national card game of Ireland, the national board game of India (Pachisi, Hindi for 25), and how many points you get for a full house in Yahtzee

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ahaha yes I saw the brendan article yesterday, truly incredible brainworms.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DO YOU KNOW ANY POLICIES I CAN USE?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Best take:
https://twitter.com/AntonJaegermm/status/1436345516841967618

Worst take like seriously this just caused all the sewers to overflow again:
https://twitter.com/ConspiracyBull1/status/1436396556471635996

e: 25 is the national card game of Ireland, the national board game of India (Pachisi, Hindi for 25), and how many points you get for a full house in Yahtzee

I suppose one could say he 'cancelled' america on this very day, brendan

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

happyhippy posted:

DO YOU KNOW ANY POLICIES I CAN USE?

He just looks like he's leering at birds, and has borrowed Rishi Sunak's legs.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ravel posted:

The American right loved it because the first two thirds of every season involved Sutherland shooting a million non-white terrorists under ticking clock scenarios that literally influenced policy.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia posted:

Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles.... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Are you going to convict Jack Bauer? Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so. So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

That is an impressively shittily tailored suit. Looks like he bought it off the peg without even trying it on and never had the trousers adjusted to fit his tiddly little legs.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

it's like poetry, it rhymes

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is the Lady in the photo Googling who he is?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Why does this photo exist? Cause if it's an official"man of the people" shot then lol on every level

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dead Goon posted:

Is the Lady in the photo Googling who he is?

At a guess, neither of the women noticed him and are just looking at something else on their phones and the photographer has tried to make it look as if they wanted a selfie with Are Glorius Leader in Waiting.

Meanwhile:

HGV tests to have 'reversing' removed and car drivers will no longer need to take a test to tow a trailer or caravan.

https://www.commercialfleet.org/news/latest-news/2021/09/10/hgv-driving-test-overhauled-to-tackle-driver-shortage

quote:

Tests will also be made shorter by removing the ‘reversing exercise’ element – and for vehicles with trailers, the ‘uncoupling and recoupling’ exercise – and having it tested separately by a third party. This part of the test is carried out off the road on a manoeuvring area and takes a significant amount of time. Testing such manoeuvres separately will free up examiner time, meaning they can carry out another full test every day.

Car drivers will no longer need to take another test to tow a trailer or caravan, allowing roughly 30,000 more HGV driving tests to be conducted every year.

This new legislation is changing previous EU regulations which the UK is no longer obliged to use.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Good thing reversing a HGV is incredibly simple and straightforward

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Party Boat posted:

And a really rare thing that HGVs do every day into loading bays.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile:

HGV tests to have 'reversing' removed and car drivers will no longer need to take a test to tow a trailer or caravan.

I was going to say "They're aware that the "Park it for me" button in Euro/American Truck Simulator isn't a real thing, right?", but it's Grant Shapps, who might actually be that stupid

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

It's okay, I'm sure the (presumably private sector) third party testing centre will be rigorous and fair in their testing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Govt is solving the problem of too few HGV drivers and causing the problem of too few not-smashed-up HGVs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A mate of mine worked as an HGV driver for a while and he used to *dream* of loading bays - there was a particular shop he had to offload at in Bath (or Bristol, can't remember now) which required him to reverse from a main road into a side road on his right and then directly into an alleyway on his left, with the side road being exactly two lanes wide and the alley even narrower. Oh and this was on a steep hill too. I can just about parallel park a car, that sort of maneuver sounds like the kind of torture they'd give me in hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Also never necessary, as every delivery point is drive through.

Actually trying to imagine how you would make a HGV loading system that never involves reversing, presumably you would just have to drive the entire thing onto a giant falkirk wheel and it tips the whole lorry over.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Also never necessary, as every delivery point is drive through.

Not round here they're not!
I see HGVs reversing into Waitrose & Home Bargains loading bays (my two nearest supermarkets) all the time, and blocking the road completely while they do.

ed ^^^ ah I think maybe you were being ironic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am being a bit sarcastic, round here you're lucky if you get a loading bay.

But it's fine we can just build one of these outside ever conceivable location you would need to unload a HGV.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's okay, I'm sure the (presumably private sector) third party testing centre will be rigorous and fair in their testing.

I wonder if it will be run by Grant Schapp's aunty or Dido Harding's nephew?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This is a great montage off that woke bane tweet:

https://twitter.com/jeevanrai/status/1436689696520867840

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A mate of mine worked as an HGV driver for a while and he used to *dream* of loading bays - there was a particular shop he had to offload at in Bath (or Bristol, can't remember now) which required him to reverse from a main road into a side road on his right and then directly into an alleyway on his left, with the side road being exactly two lanes wide and the alley even narrower. Oh and this was on a steep hill too. I can just about parallel park a car, that sort of maneuver sounds like the kind of torture they'd give me in hell.

As someone that regularly has to tow a trailer as part of my job, I am wincing here.

Honestly though I would much rather reverse a large trailer where you are close to the hitch point than one of them tiny car trailers where it wants to jack knife if you even look at it funny.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

uUUuuhghh hullo brutush puhple who do jobsjobsjobsjobsjobs can i huv a wut ugg pluhseru uraighgh

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
aaahaaa maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeng graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyycccccccceeeeeeeee aaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee kkuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh dodododooooooooooooo dodoodoooooooooooooooo dodododoodoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i was playing video game when the planes hit, my ma told me it was happening but i wasn't fussed :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
sorry if i sound like a big stick in the mud but the news coverage is a bit too focused on the day and not the US's calamitous responses that resulted in millions of dead people in the middle east, a mess that is still unravelling right now, imo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've still got some newspapers from September 12 2001, 'cos I could see straight away this was going to be a really big deal and wanted to keep a little bit of history.

I must go back and read them cover to cover, will be one hell of a time capsule by now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Outside my work is not as bad, but is it terrible for HGV drivers.
Imagine two office blocks, 100m one length, 200m the other. Inbetween the two is the single loading bay for ALL the shops along that length, shipments has to be manually trolleyed the rest of the way.
One is a major sportswear store, but there are restaurants, off licences, etc.
The loading bay entrance is at a T junction, to a major car park, so there are cars constantly going most time of the day.
There is a slow down ramp also, and metal bollards on the edge of the pavements the driver has to navigate.
We used to have our smoke breaks out the front, just watching them.
It was like the Kypton Factor assault course for trucks.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 11, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

sorry if i sound like a big stick in the mud but the news coverage is a bit too focused on the day and not the US's calamitous responses that resulted in millions of dead people in the middle east, a mess that is still unravelling right now, imo

Yeah, it's all a bit self indulgent, isn't it. Reminds me of all the Vietnam war films that spend so much time on the poor traumatised war criminals and relegate the actual Vietnamese people to the background.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If we're doing 9/11 memories, I was working technical support for a small ISP at the time and we started getting inundated with calls saying "the internet is down!" but everything looked fine apart from a massive surge of traffic to our private peering with the Beeb - a lot of our customers had the BBC News website as their homepage and so the slow/no response from it felt like downtime to them. We were all a bit mystified by this and mentioned it to one of my colleagues who was on holiday that day, to which he replied "Turn on a telly you daft oval office", which will be my own personal 9/11 forevermore.

About an hour later we lost all but one of our transatlantic links, meaning we had to change the outgoing message on our support line to something along the lines of "Yeah we know you can't get to some websites, turn on your telly you daft cunts". Perhaps the best/worst call was from a fairly major financial company complaining they couldn't contact their US office... in building 7, something they knew but was still apparently our problem to fix.

Also a lot of complaints over the next few days (it took almost a week to restore the transatlantic links because *so much* fibre went through/under the WTC) along the lines of "Well the internet was designed to withstand a nuclear war, why can't I get to newgrounds to play my Flash games?" to which the answer was "It can survive a nuclear war but can't survive capitalism, transatlantic fibre *not* going through MAE-EAST and hence under a million tons of rubble cost three times as much as fibre going through it and we won't even talk about how much it costs to send stuff the other way round the world" except of course much more diplomatically put.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

i was playing video game when the planes hit, my ma told me it was happening but i wasn't fussed :/

happyhippy posted:

Imagine two office blocks

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is a great montage off that woke bane tweet:

i'm not sure what "woke bane" refers to, but now i can't stop imagining a half-Keir Starmer, half-Bane from Dark Knight Rises hybrid creature, an amalgamation of flesh, steel and wet eggs

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Having ridden along with numerous HGV drivers in recent years it seems to me that being able to reverse the thing properly is the only serious test of skill required. The rest of the job largely consists of
- fiddling your speed limiter so you can go a bit faster
- having one of those little seatbelt buckles on your keyring that you put in the slot to stop the lorry beeping at you while you never wear a seatbelt
- operating at least 2 phones,plus a GPS, plus a dispatch computer, none of them hands free, whilst hammering it down the motorway
- knowing where the cheapest place for a bacon bap is in any given location.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Oh, was there something on today other than Tyrone winning the All Ireland GAA final?
Didn't notice.

Edit: My 9/11 story is that I was in bed at the time, playing Quake 3 a poo poo load the night before, went downstairs into the kitchen, and we had a 14 inch small bubble TV showing the first tower going down.
My mum was ironing at the time, just watching the news saying there was an attack in NY.
First thing we thought of was our uncle who still lives there, but he was in Queens, no where close, so was fine.
I think my father helped build one of the nearby buildings beside the twin towers, he went over laboring in the 80s as was the thing back then, and ended up putting up sheet rock or however its called on a few different buildings.
He said one was near to the towers.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 11, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I was on a bus that had left the Pentagon Shopping Center in Chatham 5 mins prior when people started talking about a plane hitting 'the Pentagon'.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh 9/11 was my old life

I was pregnant and in a building opposite Westminster Abby and the Palace of Westminster in a meeting about pensions with one of Prince William and Harry’s old nannies, and absolutely terrified because they weren’t doing anything to reassure or evacuate people who weren’t politicians in the area.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Someone's doing fireworks. There's always one for every occasion.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I was in school, I seem to remember being on afternoon break when someone found out the news (2001 seems a bit early for everyone to have mobiles... so not quite sure how they found out), I went home and my mum was off so we watched the news until I went to play pokemon or something

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I remember where I was or what I was doing, I have a memory of being in the french classroom being taught something by my RE teacher and also there was a TV with it on, but I think that is sufficiently unlikely that it probably isn't a memory and is instead a dream I had at some point.

rip terrorism I forgot I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I was on a bus that had left the Pentagon Shopping Center in Chatham 5 mins prior when people started talking about a plane hitting 'the Pentagon'.

I lived a two minute walk from there at the time and was at home with the telly on when it happened. I did for a second feel a bit confused, seeing the big orange monolith (Mountbatten House) still standing atop the Pentagon, then realised "oh yeah the serious one in America".